• 4 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By tigerspawn
  • 1 Post By evander87
  • 1 Post By Hydrokracker

Thread: Lower Lat Development

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member

Lower Lat Development

Group,

I may be asking a dumb question, but, is there a particular group of exercises that concentrates on lower lat development? My upper lats look pretty good right now, however, they look 'short'. There are a couple of new guys in my gym who have awesome lower lat development which, in turn, gives them an awesome, elongated 'V' taper. I spoke with one of the new guys and he said to incorporate more dead lifts into my back routine.

I also wonder if genetics play a big role in the 'length' of lat muscles...

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Indymuscleguy View Post
    I also wonder if genetics play a big role in the 'length' of lat muscles...
    Although genetics plays a big part in the development of any body part, I think the bigger problem with the current lack of lats has to do with the exercises applied.

is there a particular group of exercises that concentrates on lower lat development?
    According to Schwarzenegger back exercises should be divided into four categories:
    1) Exercises that develop lat width: Wide-grip chins
    2) Exercises that work on lat thickness: Bent-over barbell rows, Seated cable rows
    3) Exercises that build up the lower lats: Close-grip chins, close-grip pull downs
    4) Exercises that develop the lower back and spinal erectors: Deadlifts

I spoke with one of the new guys and he said to incorporate more dead lifts into my back routine....
    Deadlifts are viewed primarily as a back movement; as this is where the main stress is throughout the movement. Indeed, the lower back will become big and strong after a surprisingly short period, with the deadlift. The lats and associated muscles are also worked to a large degree - especially at the top of the movement. Deadlifts strengthen the entire back and its surrounding muscles and is most effective exercise for building the core strength that supports all other major muscle groups. The deadlift is considered the king of exercises it works the entire body better than any other exercise.
    un4gettable and Java Man like this.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post
    Although genetics plays a big part in the development of any body part, I think the bigger problem with the current lack of lats has to do with the exercises applied.

According to Schwarzenegger back exercises should be divided into four categories:
    1) Exercises that develop lat width: Wide-grip chins
    2) Exercises that work on lat thickness: Bent-over barbell rows, Seated cable rows
    3) Exercises that build up the lower lats: Close-grip chins, close-grip pull downs
    4) Exercises that develop the lower back and spinal erectors: Deadlifts

Deadlifts are viewed primarily as a back movement; as this is where the main stress is throughout the movement. Indeed, the lower back will become big and strong after a surprisingly short period, with the deadlift. The lats and associated muscles are also worked to a large degree - especially at the top of the movement. Deadlifts strengthen the entire back and its surrounding muscles and is most effective exercise for building the core strength that supports all other major muscle groups. The deadlift is considered the king of exercises it works the entire body better than any other exercise.
    Did u copy all of that out of an old school bodybuilding book....

And if I were you I'd not read too much into Arnold's book..... Research and opinions have come a long way since those days...

OP, as far as 'lower lats' there is no such muscle group..... There are just lats......

You basically want to develop the lower portion of your lats.....

3 options

Your lat insertions are high and therefore you have short lats..... If this is the case you cant do anything....

Your bodyfat is too high which is hiding the lats, especially the lower lat area.... If this is the case then you need to dial your nutrition in and focus on loosing bodyfat...

Or the last option and IMO the most likely issue.... Your lats suck! You need to actually develop lats, period, if you want to see the lower lats..... Kind of similar to the guys who want upper chest.... What they really want is a chest in general....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    No didnt copy anything. I read alot. Use techniques alot and pass on what I learn. He asked a question I answered it. You on the other hand cut Op down, told him to lose BF and that he needed to build his lats. He already knows that his lats are a problem area. Thats why he is here asking for help.
    AD likes this.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post
    No didnt copy anything. I read alot. Use techniques alot and pass on what I learn. He asked a question I answered it. You on the other hand cut Op down, told him to lose BF and that he needed to build his lats. He already knows that his lats are a problem area. Thats why he is here asking for help.
    No, I did not 'cut the op down' lol

I actually gave him sound advise....

Your advise on the other hand is worthless.....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    A lot of it is down to your genetics some guys have high insertions and other have much lower ones but you can use certain movements to try and target that area. I have high lats and it took me ages infact years of trying different movements to get some developed in that area. I found low pulley rows with a close grip very effective, focus on pulling the weight in towards your lower abs and try and flare your lats at the peak contraction but at the same time focus on pulling that weight back with your lats and not your arms. One arm DB rows also adds mass and size in this area especially if you change the angle of the bench, also close grip pulldowns helped me a lot. What kind of happened to me was I put that much thickness on my lower and upper back it kind of spilled over on to my lower lats and if you try and keep the bf lower on the waist you can create an excellent V taper. Wont come over night but in time you can add size to this area if you work hard on your back movements.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Genetics are largely going to determine their shape. All you can really do is get them bigger and work on leaning out to bring out definition. And I have no idea why guys think that deadlifts work your lats.

No, I did not 'cut the op down' lol

I actually gave him sound advise....

Your advise on the other hand is worthless.....
    Thanks for your opinion.
    AD likes this.

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    A lot of it is down to your genetics some guys have high insertions and other have much lower ones but you can use certain movements to try and target that area. I have high lats and it took me ages infact years of trying different movements to get some developed in that area. I found low pulley rows with a close grip very effective, focus on pulling the weight in towards your lower abs and try and flare your lats at the peak contraction but at the same time focus on pulling that weight back with your lats and not your arms. One arm DB rows also adds mass and size in this area especially if you change the angle of the bench, also close grip pulldowns helped me a lot. What kind of happened to me was I put that much thickness on my lower and upper back it kind of spilled over on to my lower lats and if you try and keep the bf lower on the waist you can create an excellent V taper. Wont come over night but in time you can add size to this area if you work hard on your back movements.
    Indeed I do have high insertion-type lats. I envy those who have lower ones as I have a descent V-shape already and I know that it's very difficult to isolate that part of the lat muscle as mentioned in another post above, there isn't a distention between upper and lower lats, they are just lats.

But thanks for the advice...I will change things up a bit!

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    I don't believe in targeting a section of a muscle either but nobody has mentioned straight arm lat pull downs. I finish out my back day with those and really feel it in my lats.
    clarky. likes this.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    ^^^same here, I finish with them to. Can feel it working the whole lat area. Thought I was the only one, lol.

Cloze is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte
    And I have no idea why guys think that deadlifts work your lats.
    Seriously? It's the downward movement of the deadlift that causes growth in your lats. It spans from your hips and hooks over and into the shoulder. Go read an anatomy book and learn the functionality of your muscles/groups.

OP, the guys in your gym are right for the majority. You need to Deadlift more. Explosive up, slow and controlled down. Heavy rows will add to this effect, more so with thickness than width however.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member

And if I were you I'd not read too much into Arnold's book..... Research and opinions have come a long way since those days...
    care to quote some?

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985 View Post
    ^^^same here, I finish with them to. Can feel it working the whole lat area. Thought I was the only one, lol.
    x3^^

never seem to get stronger on this lift

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Quote Originally Posted by evander87 View Post
    I don't believe in targeting a section of a muscle either but nobody has mentioned straight arm lat pull downs. I finish out my back day with those and really feel it in my lats.
    x4 i like this exercise

Quote Originally Posted by clarky. View Post

x4 i like this exercise
    X5
    Usually hit a wide grip(in front of head not behind) 1xfeeler 1xnear max 2-3max weight
    As above but narrow grip. Can go a lot heavier on this
    Then finish on the straight arm but hammer fists on the bar explosively but controlled. Squeezing the lats all the way bar to body. n resisting back up. Great hits

Hydrokracker is offline Junior Member
    I too wanted to bring up my lower lats since last season. Deadlifts to an extent will give you what you're looking for although they target more of your spinal erectors (which of course your rear lat spread requires to look great) but it will hit lats also. I have found success in beginning my back routine with 50 chinups to warmup. I also do close, medium, then wide grip lat pulldowns. Really wear out the lat totally and then hit dumbbell rows and low cable rows. Always focusing on the squeeze.

It will take time. Don't let people tell you that it's all about genetics. don't believe the hype. Work hard and the results will come.
    AD likes this.

basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evander87 View Post
    I have never tried those before. I will have to implement them on my next back workout. Thanks.

Thread Information