Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By >Good Luck<

Thread: Question in regards to strength building

Newguy2087 is offline Junior Member

Question in regards to strength building

What is the best method to build strength? Pyramid? I am looki g for the most effective way. Right now I start with a weight I can do 12 reps with and just pyramid up until I can only do one rep of max weight I can lift? Any other reccomendations?

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2087 View Post
    What is the best method to build strength? Pyramid? I am looki g for the most effective way. Right now I start with a weight I can do 12 reps with and just pyramid up until I can only do one rep of max weight I can lift? Any other reccomendations?
    Wendlers 5/3/1
    Brett N likes this.

AlphaMike is offline Productive Member
    5x5 is pretty popular...everybody is different though. Generally use lower reps and longer rest periods.

diabeticknowledge is offline Associate Member
    few, high intensity sets. want to be strong? read about the soviet method or the bulgarian weightlifting system

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    pyramid but last set for four reps, only do one rep once a month

you are suggesting one rep (max?) should be performed once a month, while his goals are to gain strength ?

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    I started with Starting Strength (or Stronglifts as a beginner) and then moved on to Wendler's 5/3/1. Just my opinion but for all around strength these programs can't be beat. I would think that after you become stagnate (many years) in these programs you could move onto something that isolates muscle groups along with these power lifts.

well no serious weightlifting team does wendler so obviously its not the best program. it lacks a vital phase of training - new muscle fiber recruitment - hypertrophy. you cant expect steady gains in strength without altering intensity

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    You alter intensity by adding weight. You want to get stronger, lift more weight. Sounds simple. Squats, Bench, OH Press, and deadlifts. That's what builds strength. Starting Strength, Stronglifts and Wendler all use these primary strength building compound lifts.

I guess it really depends on where Newguy is at in his training? Looking for an advanced workout or for a beginner to intermediate workout?

i know world class powerlifters and weightlifters in a weight range of 94-140kg, every single one of them does vary their intensity and they all do volume training. they are at the correct weight class but everyone need to lay off some load, varied intensity is so you can make progress and stay injury free.

there is one method that doesnt deload, and no one really uses it to its fullest potential anymore, it develops all out power at a great cost of your health(and freedom) - and it requires a lot of doping because it is all out, every exercise at every sessions (5) of the day - and it is key factor that the lifters do no leave the gym... no coincidence that the person who thought it up is called Ivan Abadijev "The butcher" - (most successful weightlifting coach of all time)

so you see, everyone needs to deload unless you intend to mess your self up - because no athlete works at this high intensity all year and expects to progress. 5/3/1 is allright but its no where near to be considered a realistic whole program

Thread Information