Thread: Pull ups

uhit is offline Member

Pull ups

Hey all.

Wondering how to increase my pull ups - particularly wide grip ones.

My chin ups, and semi wide grip pulls ups are okay with chin ups at 10-12 max and semi wide maxing at 8. I obviously want to improve those, which will happen if I can get my wide better.

My wide ones on the other hand are at around 5 clean reps and 1 shaky one.

Is there a technique for this that I'm not incorporating? Should I start doing pull-ups first rather than last on my back days?

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I've done pull ups for years but when I was doing them I used straps which helped me concentrate on the movement properly. If your strength isn't that good I would go with doing them first in the routine.

I never really had much benefit from them but a friend of mine really responds well to them.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Do them everyday, I would do a set everyday because I set a goal to get 25 clean chins and 50 clean dips at 250lb body weight. It took a while but I got there, improved my count every couple of days or so.

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    Do them everyday, I would do a set everyday because I set a goal to get 25 clean chins and 50 clean dips at 250lb body weight. It took a while but I got there, improved my count every couple of days or so.
    Probably will do 3 sets on every upper body day then.

Also, is dip strength relative to pull up strength? Because I can do weighted dips (10kg vest) about 20 times cleanly

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    Probably will do 3 sets on every upper body day then.

Also, is dip strength relative to pull up strength? Because I can do weighted dips (10kg vest) about 20 times cleanly
    No, they're the antagonists of each other.

My pull-ups have gone up drastically in the last 3-4 weeks, since losing weight. At 72kg I could only get 8 on a good day, today at 68kg I hit a rep PR of 14.

Doing them first on back days would definitely influence it.

Usually I'll do horizontal movement first (a row) then a vertical movement (pull-ups). I also do two (chest and) back days a week.

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    No, they're the antagonists of each other.

My pull-ups have gone up drastically in the last 3-4 weeks, since losing weight. At 72kg I could only get 8 on a good day, today at 68kg I hit a rep PR of 14.

Doing them first on back days would definitely influence it.

Usually I'll do horizontal movement first (a row) then a vertical movement (pull-ups). I also do two (chest and) back days a week.
    Well right now im eating at maintenance because I feel comfortable at 170lbs. No 6 pack, but no beer belly. Think I'm at 14%.
    I reckon if I was to cut down to 12% bf which shouldn't really take more than 6-8 weeks if I cut out 500 calories a day I should be able to get in a few more reps

Did back earlier today, literally 2 hours ago and I started with pull ups and will do them in all my upper body days from now and managed to get 10 reps instead of the norm 8 so fatigue does play a significant role into it.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    like any other exercise, it's important to still hit your target reps. if you can do this unassisted, great. if not, use the machine to partially offset your weight. Soon, you wont' need the machine

On any other day than back day I would only do one set to failure trying to get at least one more rep from the previous time. I didn't want to over train the muscle and wanted it to have ample time to heal, 3 sets might be a bit much except on back day. I do them every back workout alternating them from 1st to 2nd exercise week to week. I have't been able to do wide grip due to an elbow/shoulder injury, but I am almost healed enough to start throwing them in for low reps.

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    On any other day than back day I would only do one set to failure trying to get at least one more rep from the previous time. I didn't want to over train the muscle and wanted it to have ample time to heal, 3 sets might be a bit much except on back day. I do them every back workout alternating them from 1st to 2nd exercise week to week. I have't been able to do wide grip due to an elbow/shoulder injury, but I am almost healed enough to start throwing them in for low reps.
    That seems like a better alternative. One set to failure on upper body days that aren't back days.

Is it a bit strange that my arms shake after rep 5 or 6 but I can still keep going?

No, they will get used to it and the shaking should subside as you get stronger. On the one set days, go as fast as you can, pull as many as fast as you can. I let form slip a bit on those days and really try and focus on mind muscle connection on back days when I do 4 sets.

motivated247 is offline New Member
    what is the failing point of your pull-up? grip, arm or back strength? find the weakness and attack. I only count pull-ups if you make your chest touch the bar.

Stosh_112 is offline Productive Member
    Try doing ur pull up max rep after some bent over rows to get warmed up. even hit the pull down machine to get a lil blood to the lats/bis. Hit ur pull up max first, wait 10-15 seconds and get a couple more reps in. Take 2min break and repeat. the extra couple reps after ur main set with min 10 sec rest with shock ur overall pull up routine. ive done it fro one month/once a week and went from 12max to 19max in 30 days.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh_112 View Post
    Try doing ur pull up max rep after some bent over rows to get warmed up. even hit the pull down machine to get a lil blood to the lats/bis. Hit ur pull up max first, wait 10-15 seconds and get a couple more reps in. Take 2min break and repeat. the extra couple reps after ur main set with min 10 sec rest with shock ur overall pull up routine. ive done it fro one month/once a week and went from 12max to 19max in 30 days.
    I like this idea, I'll be trying it next back day. Thanks for sharing.

Jesusbrah is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    I like this idea, I'll be trying it next back day. Thanks for sharing.
    Do as many wide pull ups you can, finish the set with negatives

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh_112 View Post
    Will try it on my next back day. Looks promising

Thread Information