• 3 Post By NACH3
  • 4 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 3 Post By 600@50
  • 2 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Skullcrushers

Splifton is offline Associate Member

Skullcrushers

Obviously I'm still new to physically understanding every exercise vs. memorizing words out of a book.

Does anyone else have the notion that skull crushers may do more harm than good? I feel doing kickbacks with a light dumbbell is just as effective and there isn't the possibility of unnecessary shearing force.

Anyone else notice this or eliminated the exercise from their own protocol?

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member
    I still do skullcrushers. With poor form it can absolutely wreck your elbows no doubt. With controlled motion and good form, I get an excellent pump and keep these in my toolbox. I don't do them every tricep workout for sure and wouldn't teach a new lifter this movement, but I wouldn't toss it out as an effective movement.

I use dumbbells, but with a pretty light weight. I definitely feel it regardless of how little I'm moving when I take it slow.

I probably put too much on then when I did the barbell skull crusher. Do you allow your elbows to continue past 90 degrees on the eccentric part of the lift?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Skull crushers are very effective and if actually done too strict over time they will cause some joint pain in the elbow so instead of bringing the bar to the bridge of your nose bring it to your forehead or even the top of your head. They are less strict this way but still effective. Try close grip or JM presses if you want to really add some size.
    OdinsOtherSon likes this.

I'll try to integrate them here in 3-4 months instead of using dumbbells. Triceps are a rather difficult group of muscles to really get the connection going with so hopefully I'll have better control soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Splifton
    I'll try to integrate them here in 3-4 months instead of using dumbbells. Triceps are a rather difficult group of muscles to really get the connection going with so hopefully I'll have better control soon.
    I think once you find the correct exercises you won't feel that way anymore.

RangerDanger830 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've done single-arm skull crushers with dumbbells and ez-curl bar skull crushers for ten years now with no elbow issues. I love them. I wouldn't know improper form on them but I suppose I'm good.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Also, try em w/DBs both arms(palms facing) great exercise

Elbows in and take the shoulder out of the equation really activates the long head as well(as Buster stated CG Bench is great for adding size/strength - & meat to that long head as well

As BusterBrown said...
    JM presses for size and strength.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    Also, try em w/DBs both arms(palms facing) great exercise

Elbows in and take the shoulder out of the equation really activates the long head as well(as Buster stated CG Bench is great for adding size/strength - & meat to that long head as well
    There you ^^^^ once in the starting position take your whole arm backwards so your elbow is in line with the forehead and this will direct all the tension on the long head and away from the delts, this is a mass builder kickbacks isn't

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splifton View Post
    If you feel you must do skull crushers do them with a curl/cambered bar. It'll take some stress of the wrists and put them at a better angle. But for size and strength the JM press is a much better movement as has been previously stated.

papathesmurf is offline Junior Member
    I might be a weird-oh but I found skull crushers to be painful on my elbow if I use an EZ bar so I switched to a fixed barbell and have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by papathesmurf
    I might be a weird-oh but I found skull crushers to be painful on my elbow if I use an EZ bar so I switched to a fixed barbell and have no issues.
    It's hard on a forum to try and analyze or explain lifting form because it really needs to be seen. Nothing wrong with a straight bar as long as your keeping your elbows on and not flailed.

Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    There you ^^^^ once in the starting position take your whole arm backwards so your elbow is in line with the forehead and this will direct all the tension on the long head and away from the delts, this is a mass builder kickbacks isn't
    Marcus this is more like Dorian Yates style isn't it. I watch his blood and guts videos and that's pretty much what he does.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Obviously I'm still new to physically understanding every exercise vs. memorizing words out of a book.

Does anyone else have the notion that skull crushers may do more harm than good? I feel doing kickbacks with a light dumbbell is just as effective and there isn't the possibility of unnecessary shearing force.

I love skull crushers. I have made fantastic gains with this exercise. I think the key is not going to heavy on these 12-15 reps.

Thanks for all the responses. From what marcus explained I believe the degree at which my elbow extended back was improper.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power

I feel that frenchpress is the massbuilding exercise nr one for tris. But also the most harmfull. But Rich Piana told me how to so now its good to go. Never press With elboes close to ears and start With 40 reps and work yourself down.
    Sounds silly but the pump is inzane and the tris will grow.
    I like to frontload my tris on sunday With this movements at home before i do regular chest, shoulders and tris at the gym mondays. Working the tris like this, two days in row, is a smart thing to do if you want to have big tris. And who doesnt?. Everyone want big arms and big tris is the most important thing if you want this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
    Marcus this is more like Dorian Yates style isn't it. I watch his blood and guts videos and that's pretty much what he does.
    Yes that's right, also I use db's palms facing each other this eliminates all elbow issues and puts all the stress on the long head of the tricep. You must move your arms live ive explained otherwise some stress goes onto the shoudlers. Ive built some serious hanging triceps with this movement. But the angle has got to be right. You can also do the on a slight incline
    NACH3 likes this.

Blog Entries
    You can also do them with the cable machine using the rope attachment and see if that feels better for you. Its essentially the same exercise.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papathesmurf View Post
    As always if something hurts either don't do the movement or modify it so as to minimize pain as you did. I was referring to my own issues with tricep work. After around 40 years of lifting and heavy benches I have limited mobility to pronate and supinate the wrists. No way can I use a straight bar for tris or curls. We have to recognize what needs to be changed and not be afraid to try something different.
    NACH3, Khazima and OdinsOtherSon like this.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    As always if something hurts either don't do the movement or modify it so as to minimize pain as you did. I was referring to my own issues with tricep work. After around 40 years of lifting and heavy benches I have limited mobility to pronate and supinate the wrists. No way can I use a straight bar for tris or curls. We have to recognize what needs to be changed and not be afraid to try something different.
    We have a winner here, boys.

I'm just really worried about making sure I can successfully exercise in the long haul of life. I'd rather be mediocre in the size of my development, but can still thoroughly enjoy physical activities as I continue to age.

If I can get up to 200lbs while still maintaining my usual body fat of 9-10% then I'll be satisfied. I just don't want to be the guy that has larger calves than arms like I am now.

Then that's a matter of choice. At 45 I still train like a dog but have become a smarter lifter over the years in which I am careful to avoid injury while still making gains.
    OdinsOtherSon and marcus300 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Then that's a matter of choice. At 45 I still train like a dog but have become a smarter lifter over the years in which I am careful to avoid injury while still making gains.
    I'm sure the desire to become a genetic freak will eventually happen to me as I've read some posts on here about personal journey's being all about looks at the start and then developing into a competitive hobby against themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Splifton
    I'm sure the desire to become a genetic freak will eventually happen to me as I've read some posts on here about personal journey's being all about looks at the start and then developing into a competitive hobby against themselves.
    My philosophy is "go big or go home!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    My philosophy is "go big or go home!"
    main man ^^^^^^^

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    EZ bar skullcrushers are my favourite triceps exercise. Don't have much elbow issues been doing it for 2 years straight now. I feel my arms the most when im doing this exercise and it seems very effective for me, more so than cable push downs or close-grip bench. Just keep your elbows stable and fixed in one position, and bring the bar down to your forehead at about 90degree angle, and up until it almost locks. Also keep wrists straight dont bend as you go down. Form is pretty simple.

rGus is offline Junior Member
    IMO I think skullcrushes are way more effective is when you go behind your head instead of forehead and I feel more ease on the elbows.

Sent from my samsung phone

Quote Originally Posted by rGus
    IMO I think skullcrushes are way more effective is when you go behind your head instead of forehead and I feel more ease on the elbows. Sent from my samsung phone
    The movement is just less strict at that point which allows for heavier poundages

CaptainGoose is offline Junior Member
    Recently took EZ bar skull crushers out of my training and replaced them with standing tricep pushdowns. Will try the JM press and 2 dumbbells palms facing each other like some people recommended, seems like it they would be great tri exercises.

I just wanted to offer to someone who may be in the same situation as I was....

All the pain went away when I stuck to a straight barbell vs the EZ bar and make sure my spacing between the elbows were parallel with shoulders. Also, had to drop the weight down to ensure my elbows positioning was completely vertical.

I get the most feel for the contraction doing it an incline fashion vs laying flat on a bench. Really noticing that it doesn't take much to get the triceps feeling like they are going to tear off the bone. Easiest muscle for me to get a pump going.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    My take: scullcrushers are the number one massbuilder but also the number one elbow destroyer. Quickfix...do 30-40 reps. It burns like hell, max contact......and...surprisingly its good for mass aswell...specially on gear

CaptainGoose is offline Junior Member
    I just wanted to offer to someone who may be in the same situation as I was....

All the pain went away when I stuck to a straight barbell vs the EZ bar and make sure my spacing between the elbows were parallel with shoulders. Also, had to drop the weight down to ensure my elbows positioning was completely vertical.

I get the most feel for the contraction doing it an incline fashion vs laying flat on a bench. Really noticing that it doesn't take much to get the triceps feeling like they are going to tear off the bone. Easiest muscle for me to get a pump going.
    Good advice. I'll definitely try it out with the straight barbell keeping elbows parallel with shoulders.

Thread Information