Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By numbere
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: Triceps don't recover

TestoSuper is offline Associate Member

Triceps don't recover

hi to all guys, I have a problem for a few weeks .. my triceps do not recover after each work out.
    I train them together in chest and shoulders (day of pushes) and I ever have to stop doing bench press and many other exercises for shoulders because my triceps (the ones only) yielded ...
    I have recently suspended all specific exercises for triceps and do only chest and shoulders (they are also widely involved), but they still feel very fatigued and often i have to stop there ...
    Is it happened to you too? what solutions can I have?

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Try doing chest isolation. For example when doing your compound lifts for chest (bench press etc, moves that incorporate multiple muscle groups). Rather letting the bar or Dumbbells down all the way as to engage your shoulders when lifting up and instead of fully extending and locking out your arms when you reach the top of your lift..instead try just hitting the sweet spot and just work your chest. Ie. About 4 inches off your chest and about 6 inches below the tip top Sony don't engage your triceps. This should save them a bit. Especially if your using your triceps for two large muscle groups on one day. Rather try having just one muscle group trained on one day by it self. It's what I do because i want all my nutrition and effort to be focused on one main muscle group each session. Not to mention at the intensity that I train. I could not even imagine working out two large muscle groups in one session and fully breaking down each group. Same with shoulders presses. Try not locking out pretty much so you don't engage ur triceps

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Without knowing more specifics it seems like you're doing a lot of pushing exercises in one session.

Maybe you should consider switching to a push/pull plan of attack.

Something similar to:

Day 1 Legs
    Day 2 Shoulders
    Day 3 Abs
    Day 4 Chest/back
    Day 5 Bis/Tris
    Marsoc likes this.

very useful, thanks
    in fact I also prefer single frequency and a day dedicated to a single muscle group (or maximum two) but when I'm off-cycle (in summer) I only do three sessions a week, because my body recovers better, then a push day, a pull day, and a legs day.
    You then advise me to isolate the chest and shoulders in order to avoid involving the triceps, right? but I can feel it working from the first boost phase (for example dumbbells plan or inclined bench) I feel the triceps involved right from the start ..
    So you advice me to train one muscle group a day only? or even two might be okay? (On cycle I train 2 groups a day so that I can train every group 2 times a week!, is this good in your opinion?)

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Try doing chest isolation. For example when doing your compound lifts for chest (bench press etc, moves that incorporate multiple muscle groups). Rather letting the bar or Dumbbells down all the way as to engage your shoulders when lifting up and instead of fully extending and locking out your arms when you reach the top of your lift..instead try just hitting the sweet spot and just work your chest. Ie. About 4 inches off your chest and about 6 inches below the tip top Sony don't engage your triceps. This should save them a bit. Especially if your using your triceps for two large muscle groups on one day. Rather try having just one muscle group trained on one day by it self. It's what I do because i want all my nutrition and effort to be focused on one main muscle group each session. Not to mention at the intensity that I train. I could not even imagine working out two large muscle groups in one session and fully breaking down each group. Same with shoulders presses. Try not locking out pretty much so you don't engage ur triceps
    very useful, thanks
    in fact I also prefer single frequency and a day dedicated to a single muscle group (or maximum two) but when I'm off-cycle (in summer) I only do three sessions a week, because my body recovers better, then a push day, a pull day, and a legs day.
    You then advise me to isolate the chest and shoulders in order to avoid involving the triceps, right? but I can feel it working from the first boost phase (for example dumbbells plan or inclined bench) I feel the triceps involved right from the start ..
    So you advice me to train one muscle group a day only? or even two might be okay? (On cycle I train 2 groups a day so that I can train every group 2 times a week!, is this good in your opinion?)

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    Without knowing more specifics it seems like you're doing a lot of pushing exercises in one session.

Maybe you should consider switching to a push/pull plan of attack.

Something similar to:

Day 1 Legs
    Day 2 Shoulders
    Day 3 Abs
    Day 4 Chest/back
    Day 5 Bis/Tris
    ok in off cycle period I am holding:
    in the push day: chest, shoulders and (I should) triceps
    pull day: back and biceps
    legs day: legs only

Other days are dedicated to cardio ad abdominal

but I am wrong with this, then I will change quickly

I was convinced that taking a single day all the pushing exercises, then leaving them to rest for the whole week, I would have recovered better ... but it was the opposite, I was very much fatigued the triceps

Quote Originally Posted by TestoSuper View Post
    ok in off cycle period I am holding:
    in the push day: chest, shoulders and (I should) triceps
    pull day: back and biceps
    legs day: legs only

Other days are dedicated to cardio ad abdominal

but I am wrong with this, then I will change quickly
    I understand your routine.

I was suggesting a push/pull routine in the same session.

Personally I wouldn't be able to grow with the routine you're currently following.
    Marsoc likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Chest, shoulders and triceps would be impossible for me.

Aggravating this you are probably doing too many sets of medium intensity, and once the chest and shoulders get tired guess who will lift the weight?
    You guessed it, right?

Adding to Numb and Mars advice visit Ms HIT thread: **Marcus's HIT Dungeon**

Its not the volume that builds more muscle, but the intensity, otherwise marathon runners would have huge calves and legs lol.

Yes I do at least 4/5 set for each exercise for large groups (4/5 exercise in total) and at least 3/4 set for small groups (3/4 exercise in total), taking 12 reps maximum per exercise (in this moment that I'm off and cutting/maintenance)

Anyway, I will change permanently this routine, I was curious to try and this is really counterproductive!

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Not hitting them directly is a good idea if their not recovering. You may be using too narrow of a grip when your benching that's causing your triceps to come into play to much.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Yeah I heard of a chest and back day combined just for the super massive pump. And yes I suggest one muscle group a day. To fully focus on breaking down and rebuilding that one area. Two is way to much especially if your training real intense. But yeah. You should fell the triceps engage most in the top of the press. Before you lock your arms out ya know. So to just hit the sweet spot. Don't do down all the way as not to engage your front delts and don't go up all the way as to not engage your triceps. There is a sweet spot on the middle that only your chest is working try putting your hand on your muscle and find that sweet spot like the middle part of the press that your arms will be in. Your should stop like right before you lock your arms out pretty much. Besides that I'd suggest one muscle group a day. Like numbere said maybe a push pull day if anything. Because the relationship that the muscle have. You back does get worked out slightly when benching. Imagine that your arms are ripping the bar apart when your hands are in place to bench, I heard that's what some power lifters do. Sorry if I'm over complicating it with all the text. That's why i hate messages. But yeah. Keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Yeah I heard of a chest and back day combined just for the super massive pump. And yes I suggest one muscle group a day. To fully focus on breaking down and rebuilding that one area. Two is way to much especially if your training real intense. But yeah...
    I think that you're missing the point of training opposing muscle groups in the same session.

When you train opposite muscle groups like chest/back or bis/tris in same workout it allows you to push beyond failure on back to back sets.

e.x. Dumbell bench press with a double drop set followed immediately by barbell rows with a rest pause set.

With this type of attack to lifting I can destroy my chest and back with 6-7 sets each in about 30-45 minutes.

Then eat and get on with my professional life.
    Last edited by numbere; 09-06-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Thread Information