Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hellomycognomen
  • 1 Post By hellomycognomen
  • 1 Post By Ashop

Thread: Reverse grip inclined bench

Marsoc is offline Productive Member

Reverse grip inclined bench

Did this for a while. I heard it activates the upper chest a certain percentage more. Unsure exactly.
    Rather regular grip turn ur hands palms facing up and grab the barbell for incline bench ..it seems like it forces more of a squeeze at peak contraction ..any experience. I just thought about it

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Not doing it.

Getting hit with barbell on face/neck is not something I aspire.

Blog Entries
    Its more placebo effect. The wrist is a secondary lever its rotation has no impact on chest.
    Last edited by hellomycognomen; 11-03-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    wellshii likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I occasionally do them, but I find they are more for triceps activation. I go moderate close grip and keep the wrists in line with elbows. I don't use anywhere near the weight I use on reg. close grip Smythe press for the reason Mr. BB posted, and moderate weight seems gracious plenty to work the triceps with reverse grip.
    I prefer to do them flat vs. incline.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Did this for a while. I heard it activates the upper chest a certain percentage more. Unsure exactly.
    Rather regular grip turn ur hands palms facing up and grab the barbell for incline bench ..it seems like it forces more of a squeeze at peak contraction ..any experience. I just thought about it
    Antony Clark used reverse grip when he was setting records in the 90's

zejj is offline Junior Member
    Doesn't seem worth the risk

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Its more placebo effect. The wrist is a secondary lever its rotation has no impact on chest.
    I think it's more about cuz when u turn ur wrist it kind of makes the motion as if u were doing a pic deck machine. Like squeezing ur elbows in automatically when u turn ur wrist like that. So it like more of a contraction it seems. U sure but they said studies showed it activated the upper pec by a significant percentage

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I occasionally do them, but I find they are more for triceps activation. I go moderate close grip and keep the wrists in line with elbows. I don't use anywhere near the weight I use on reg. close grip Smythe press for the reason Mr. BB posted, and moderate weight seems gracious plenty to work the triceps with reverse grip.
    I prefer to do them flat vs. incline.
    Right I heard they're good for flat bench if u don't have an incline so u can activate the upper chest. Yeah it's awkward but I would do them Incline incase there was any extra benefit

Blog Entries
    I think it's more about cuz when u turn ur wrist it kind of makes the motion as if u were doing a pic deck machine. Like squeezing ur elbows in automatically when u turn ur wrist like that. So it like more of a contraction it seems. U sure but they said studies showed it activated the upper pec by a significant percentage
    The chest is connected to the upper arm bone whose movement closer together would cause the "squeeze" sensation, but the position of the wrist is not involved what so ever. Wrist position has no effect on the chest.

It is similar performing triceps pushdowns with various grips (underhand/overhand/neutral) it may "feel" better or harder depending on the grip but in realty the position of the wrist has no impact on the triceps. Doing underhand pushdowns may feel more difficult because the wrist extensors and grip are having to work harder.

-Cheers

The chest is connected to the upper arm bone whose movement closer together would cause the "squeeze" sensation, but the position of the wrist is not involved what so ever. Wrist position has no effect on the chest.

It is similar performing triceps pushdowns with various grips (underhand/overhand/neutral) it may "feel" better or harder depending on the grip but in realty the position of the wrist has no impact on the triceps. Doing underhand pushdowns may feel more difficult because the wrist extensors and grip are having to work harder.

-Cheers
    Yeah I know the wrist position has nothing to do with it. But when u turn ur wrist like that I feel that the reason it may be said it's involves the upper chest More is because it forces and brings the elbows in and down and when I do that just standing here I feel my upper / whole chest flex. I just speak wat I think lol. Unsure though. I'm sure there was a study on it for some reason. But yeah it's pretty awkward doing incline like tht

-Cheers
    I always wondered if the angle of the wrist effected any area of the tricep more or less. Thanks for clearing that up I'll take ur word

Blog Entries
    I always wondered if the angle of the wrist effected any area of the tricep more or less. Thanks for clearing that up I'll take ur word
    Wrist position - No. Some would argue that a close grip underhand pushdown would "favor" the medial head and a rope pushdown with elbows flaring out at the contraction would "favor" the lateral head. In reality the activation is negligible. All 3 heads are recruited and its far better to just do a normal overhand pushdown with heavy weight then to reduce the weight only because the wrist extensors and grip muscles are the weak link.

The long head is a bit different and attaches to the scapula. In order to maximize the stretch, perform one triceps exercise with elbows above your head, I like triceps pushaways with the rope attachment on the cable machine in the top position or whatever height position feels more comfortable.

My right lateral head is much smaller than my left arm and I have been trying for years to bring it up with no noticeable gains, genetics dictate muscle shape and all you can do is maximize whatever you can.
    Marsoc likes this.

Wrist position - No. Some would argue that a close grip underhand pushdown would "favor" the medial head and a rope pushdown with elbows flaring out at the contraction would "favor" the lateral head. In reality the activation is negligible. All 3 heads are recruited and its far better to just do a normal overhand pushdown with heavy weight then to reduce the weight only because the wrist extensors and grip muscles are the weak link.

The long head is a bit different and attaches to the scapula. In order to maximize the stretch, perform one triceps exercise with elbows above your head, I like triceps pushaways with the rope attachment on the cable machine in the top position or whatever height position feels more comfortable.

My right lateral head is much smaller than my left arm and I have been trying for years to bring it up with no noticeable gains, genetics dictate muscle shape and all you can do is maximize whatever you can.
    Yes'm on arm day. For triceps I always do laying down tricep pressing up like skull crushers. Then above head press and then standing press downs. Not in that order to hit all specific heads, my triceps dwarf my bicep lol. I hate biceps. I'm burnt out by the time I do them so now I do biceps before tricep

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It was mentioned that Anthony Clark did his benches with a reverse grip. As for the dicussion on hand postion and grip width watch this video. This is the best and safest way to perform a reverse bench. There are some good views of the correct hand postion. The bar actually lays across the palm at about a 45 degree angle. This positions the bar naturally where the hand is supporting the weight. It takes a little work but this way is very stable.

https://youtu.be/pejw75bVAMg

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    It was mentioned that Anthony Clark did his benches with a reverse grip. As for the dicussion on hand postion and grip width watch this video. This is the best and safest way to perform a reverse bench. There are some good views of the correct hand postion. The bar actually lays across the palm at about a 45 degree angle. This positions the bar naturally where the hand is supporting the weight. It takes a little work but this way is very stable.

https://youtu.be/pejw75bVAMg
    Those braces they wear they keep the arms extended seem like it. Constant spotter ..i defense lose a lot of strength doing reverse grip especially on incline. Unsure about flat. It's been so long.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't see the purpose of using a reverse grip on inclines. That puts a lot of acute angle on the wrists and shoulders .

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    I don't see the purpose of using a reverse grip on inclines. That puts a lot of acute angle on the wrists and shoulders .
    Yeah that's what I do though. I research and try and if it works great if not then I don't bother. It was awkward though I just herd reverse grip activate upper chest more so u can do upper chest on flat if u can't Incline. So I figured reverse incline would hit it supper hard. But as I go on I learn more. Like this. Thanks

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Too awkward of a movement for me personally.
    Marsoc likes this.

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I tried it a few times on flat BB bench and seemed to hit my triceps more than anything else.

Thread Information