• 3 Post By Proximal
  • 2 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By JohnnyV85
  • 3 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Hit muscles 2x a week??

GTtheGUY is offline New Member

Hit muscles 2x a week??

So I'm on my first cycle ever. I'm running 500mgs of test c250. I'm 5 weeks in and loving it! Now that I'm on this test and my recovery time is so.much shorter, is it safe to say I can double back and hit the same body part 2 times per week. Like chest on monday and come back on thur and hit again?? Thanks.

Eduke93 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTtheGUY View Post
    So I'm on my first cycle ever. I'm running 500mgs of test c250. I'm 5 weeks in and loving it! Now that I'm on this test and my recovery time is so.much shorter, is it safe to say I can double back and hit the same body part 2 times per week. Like chest on monday and come back on thur and hit again?? Thanks.
    Of course.

Just make sure you listen to your body, you will know when your ready to train that same body part again. One of my good friends, trains legs 3x per week... Generally i do everything twice.

With that in mind, make sure you balance out your volume/intensity and train smart.
    GTtheGUY likes this.

GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    you'd likely be better off doing body parts 2x per week rather then 1x per week anyways, no matter being on cycle or not.

'bro splits' where you only hit one body part per week are generally best suited for beasts that are super strong and big to begin with.
    they create enough homeostatic stress and volume in one workout to require a whole week of rest for that body part. . your average 200 pound guy benching 275 does not.

think about it. a 250 pound beast trains chest. lets say he does bench press for 405 for 5 sets of 12, then on to incline dumbbell press hitting the 150s for 5 sets of 15.
    well volume = sets X reps X weight moved. so go ahead an tally up how much volume this guy has already pushed and he's only two exercises in.

again this guy is creating a ton of homeostatic stress in a single workout. he's going to need a whole week for his chest to recover. . but you and me are not near this strong. we can't push that weight and volume. our chest will be ready to go in just a few days.

thats why higher frequency works better for the majority of people
    GTtheGUY, Obs and Family_guy like this.

GTtheGUY is offline New Member
    Thanks for the info! I've started doing a couple muscle groups twice time permitting. But I need to just start hitting it all twice and make the most of this cycle!!

Proximal is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    you'd likely be better off doing body parts 2x per week rather then 1x per week anyways, no matter being on cycle or not.

'bro splits' where you only hit one body part per week are generally best suited for beasts that are super strong and big to begin with.
    they create enough homeostatic stress and volume in one workout to require a whole week of rest for that body part. . your average 200 pound guy benching 275 does not.

think about it. a 250 pound beast trains chest. lets say he does bench press for 405 for 5 sets of 12, then on to incline dumbbell press hitting the 150s for 5 sets of 15.
    well volume = sets X reps X weight moved. so go ahead an tally up how much volume this guy has already pushed and he's only two exercises in.

again this guy is creating a ton of homeostatic stress in a single workout. he's going to need a whole week for his chest to recover. . but you and me are not near this strong. we can't push that weight and volume. our chest will be ready to go in just a few days.

thats why higher frequency works better for the majority of people
    I agree with this to a point. Volume & how intensely you train your muscles is dependent upon your level of training and development. Thus, for initial trainers, anything has volume or intensity, but there must be a gradual progression in everyone to cause further stimulation & growth. It could be volume per workout, volume per week, it could/should be a progression in resistance, it could be in the amount of time in between sets.

I really believe itís a question of genetics & simply how you as an individual respond. Thus there really is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Genetic beasts are just that. I would theorize that just about anything they try will bring more visible results than the average joe. Of course what works best for them is what they preach and therefore the controversy arises. Of course who can argue, they are beasts, we are not. As one group is doing something different than us and are responding better, that would make our choice of training inferior, again controversy.

Iíve long battled with this controversy & have gone back and forth with the ďdebateĒ with some of our HIT guys. BTW, these guys are amoungst the best dudes on this forum & that was not a slight by any means.

Try everything, document and track progress (or lack of) and go with what works best for you. Block out the noise.

Off topic, GH, this is the second post of yours that Iíve responded to some what argumentatively, but that is not my intent. Iím pretty educated myself with a solid background, Iíve just been away a while as some of my ďdebatesĒ got heated. Thought it was best to take a long vacation, but ultimately came back because this is such a great forum. Really love your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Off topic, GH, this is the second post of yours that I’ve responded to some what argumentatively, but that is not my intent. I’m pretty educated myself with a solid background, I’ve just been away a while as some of my “debates” got heated. Thought it was best to take a long vacation, but ultimately came back because this is such a great forum. Really love your insight!
    I didn't consider it an "argumentative" response at all . quite the opposite, just simply good 'discussion' . I always enjoy good discussion and varying points of view being we all have different experiences, backgrounds, and genetics. this is bodybuilding, not 'politics' or 'religion' ,, so theres no reason for a debate to ever get heated being this is all something we have a privilege and are blessed to be able to do and discuss openly.
    good to have you back and look forward to more interaction and quality discussion !
    Proximal and Old Duffer like this.

Proximal is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I didn't consider it an "argumentative" response at all . quite the opposite, just simply good 'discussion' . I always enjoy good discussion and varying points of view being we all have different experiences, backgrounds, and genetics. this is bodybuilding, not 'politics' or 'religion' ,, so theres no reason for a debate to ever get heated being this is all something we have a privilege and are blessed to be able to do and discuss openly.
    good to have you back and look forward to more interaction and quality discussion !
    Thanks bro, greatly appreciated. Got to admit, this place is friendlier than when I left & am really liking that. We all should be here for each other. Looking forward to more discussions buddy!

MACKATTACK is online now EAT, TRAIN, REST
    On or off cycle, I usually hit each group twice always rotating one group once because I have one rest day.

Chest
    Back/Bi's
    Legs
    Delts/Traps/Tri's
    Chest
    Back/Bi's
    REST

The next week I may hit delts/traps/tris twice and only hit back or chest once. If I am trying to grow a certain muscle group that may be lagging I will automatically hit it twice a week. If you watch a lot of the pros when they are trying to grow a certain muscle group they will hit it more often. But like it was said above, listen to your body and if you are getting aches and pains from a muscle group give it some rest.

Family_guy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MACKATTACK View Post
    On or off cycle, I usually hit each group twice always rotating one group once because I have one rest day.

Chest
    Back/Bi's
    Legs
    Delts/Traps/Tri's
    Chest
    Back/Bi's
    REST

The next week I may hit delts/traps/tris twice and only hit back or chest once. If I am trying to grow a certain muscle group that may be lagging I will automatically hit it twice a week. If you watch a lot of the pros when they are trying to grow a certain muscle group they will hit it more often. But like it was said above, listen to your body and if you are getting aches and pains from a muscle group give it some rest.
    So with that split what sort of volume are you doing per workout?

Ashop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTtheGUY View Post
    You possibly could for awhile but I think eventually it may be too much. Try it out and listen to your body.

JohnnyV85 is offline Junior Member
    2x weekly is the way to go. My split goes as follows

Shoulders/Chest
    Back
    Quads/Calves
    Bis/Tris
    Chest/Shoulders
    Hams/Cavs

works for me
    :

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV85 View Post
    2x weekly is the way to go. My split goes as follows

Shoulders/Chest
    Back
    Quads/Calves
    Bis/Tris
    Chest/Shoulders
    Hams/Cavs

works for me
    :
    yeah but your only hitting a couple of body parts 2x per week with that split, all others are just once per week. why not tweak that split so its truly a 2x split

yeah but your only hitting a couple of body parts 2x per week with that split, all others are just once per week. why not tweak that split so its truly a 2x split
    Im interested in seeing what tweaks you'd make to my split. Ive been on this one for a bit already anyway.
    GearHeaded likes this.

-chest, front delts, side delts, triceps
    -back, rear delts, traps, biceps (back thickness dominant)
    - quads, hams, calves (quad dominant)
    - rest
    -back, rear delts, traps, biceps (width and lat dominant)
    - quads, hams, calves (hamstring dominant)

thats as simple as a 2x per week traditional split gets. every body part is hit twice per week. this can be more tweaked and advanced as well.. example, the first part of the week everything can be hit with heavier sets and more compound exercises, the second series can be hit with more volume higher reps and isolation . that way within one week, you've hit every angle of hypertrophy to a small degree at least

want even more frequency ..heres what a high frequency split would look like

- chest, delts, triceps, quads (high rep)
    - back, traps, biceps, hamstrings calves (high rep)
    - chest, delts, triceps, quads (low rep)
    rest
    - back, traps, biceps, hamstrings calves (low rep)
    - chest, delts, triceps, quads (high rep)
    - back, traps, biceps, hamstrings calves (high rep)

everything is hit 3x per week.

I've found this type of split works extremely well for women, or for guys that have super high recovery rates
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 12-01-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    JohnnyV85 likes this.

-back, rear delts, traps, biceps (back thickness dominant)
    - quads, hams, calves (quad dominant)
    - rest
    -back, rear delts, traps, biceps (width and lat dominant)
    - quads, hams, calves (hamstring dominant)

thats as simple as a 2x per week traditional split gets. every body part is hit twice per week. this can be more tweaked and advanced as well.. example, the first part of the week everything can be hit with heavier sets and more compound exercises, the second series can be hit with more volume higher reps and isolation . that way within one week, you've hit every angle of hypertrophy to a small degree at least
    Ill give this a go. Thanks for your feedback!

Ronnoco is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV85 View Post
    Ill give this a go. Thanks for your feedback!
    Sorry to jump in, are you super setting these?
    For example, on quads, hams, calves are jumping from muscle group, working the same muscles with different movements or hanging at the same machine until done?

Thread Information