• 1 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 2 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd

Thread: 3-5 hr workouts

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

3-5 hr workouts

Yes, sometimes i have that much free time but do you ever hit over 2hrs in the gym? Sometimes i find myself having way extra energy to keep going and i can go up to a 4hr workout by hitting chest, triceps, some biceps, delts and cardio
    I'm sure this isn't optimal but if you have the time why not spend it draining the tank as much as you can

I'm going to blame the gear.. i have too much energy and the tank is full
    Also, pasta, steak and good quality food is keeping me fed and im dropping weight/building some strength here and there

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Well... The athleanx DB says you want to stimulate the muscle, not destroy it. Idk how much science is behind what he says.
    I do feel like you can get 99% of the gains in 60 minutes than you would in 240 minutes. But if you're like me and just like being at the gym. I don't blame you, just be careful, you can easily hit a start of overreaching that way

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Find a second hobby.
    EDCG19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    Well... The athleanx DB says you want to stimulate the muscle, not destroy it. Idk how much science is behind what he says.
    I do feel like you can get 99% of the gains in 60 minutes than you would in 240 minutes. But if you're like me and just like being at the gym. I don't blame you, just be careful, you can easily hit a start of overreaching that way

Sometimes I enjoy the long torture sessions, it worked. I went to sleep last night destroyed, felt completely destroyed and depleted.
    Now woken up and fresh but sore. I don't do this often but every few weeks I may run past 3hrs because I'll do stuff like this
    BB bench total of 10 sets on BB bench
    DB chest work 10 sets with dumbbells
    Than rear delt flys 6 sets
    Followed by chest flys 6 sets
    Tricep machine work 3-4 sets
    tricep dumbbell work for a few sets
    Than back to shoulder raises for 5 sets
    Than overhead dumbbell presses for 5-8 sets
    Biceps 3-5 sets
    and finally cardio..
    I rest about 3-5 minutes between sets and i find something like this if im not wasting time can take a bit longer for me
    After all of this I went back to barbell bench and 185 2 sets of 10 reps and i called it a night..
    Last edited by EDCG19; 03-07-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Find a second hobby.
    good point..

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    I'm willing to bet professional athletes spend that much time working out over the course of a given day, though it is likely broken out into 2 or even 3 a day sessions. They have access to better support (doctors, therapists, trainers, etc) and better aas than the majority of us do, though, so they adjust their daily work based in part on bio-feedback, cycle tracking, etc.

Anyhow, a 4 hour workout does seem excessive, but if you have the energy, and you are avoiding over training, then go for it. When I've been in better shape, I have done 90'ish minute workouts natty, so I would think good gear could extend that. Probably not a good idea to go that long all the time though.
    I've done this before so its not new to me, When i was full natty i would still put in 3-4 hrs sometimes on leg/back or chest days a few times a month because i had time and felt like training that long. When i was natural it would take a bit longer to recover fully but now my recovery times are pretty much faster and simpler since my macros are good. I usually recover within a few days with no DOMS or no CNS issues..
    Cylon357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    I've done this before so its not new to me, When i was full natty i would still put in 3-4 hrs sometimes on leg/back or chest days a few times a month because i had time and felt like training that long. When i was natural it would take a bit longer to recover fully but now my recovery times are pretty much faster and simpler since my macros are good. I usually recover within a few days with no DOMS or no CNS issues..
    Especially if you have a bad day or your avoiding going home? Beeeeen there. Finally took care of the problem at home, so it happens less often

EDCG19 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Overtraining can sometimes lead to regression rather than gains so keep that in mind...
    EDCG19 likes this.

99JT is offline Member

At one point he stated that he was wrong and over training is a myth. The true Anwser???

Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    At one point he stated that he was wrong and over training is a myth. The true Anwser???
    Over training is not a myth, but I don't think you mean "over training" in the classic sense. To what I think you mean, I have no idea. I have heard there is no amount of weekly sets that is too much (but having greatly diminishing returns after 10-15), but that doesn't speak towards overworking a muscle in one session

EDCG19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post

That is not a myth at all. It is real and can happen to some people who can't recover at a good rate and they will end up losing strength and feel like complete death usually daily. The CNS can also be fried or you're just feeling extremely weak (cant grip anything at all)... it means you're gone too far and need rest

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Most people at my gym who are putting in that kinda time aren't there JUST to workout, they're idly doing other things and are fairly unfocused.... And there small

As said above, the guys I envy might do cardio for an hour in the morning, and back at night to lift.

Especially if you have a bad day or your avoiding going home? Beeeeen there. Finally took care of the problem at home, so it happens less often
    Amen brother, been there too....
    HoldMyBeer likes this.

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    I will be in the gym for an 1 hour and 30 mins but I have a ab, side flank, band work and rotator cuff warmup that takes a good 20 mins and post work out cardio. If you are talking about actually lifting for 3-5 hours you are doing more harm then good in my opinion. I learned when I was younger and not seeing as much growth that shorter more of burst workouts where u shock the muscle, leave and eat will lead to more growth.

If you are working out for 3-5 hours you are probably dealing with an EXTREME AMOUNT of cortisol which in turn eats the amino acids from your muscle and also missing an anabolic window to feed the muscle.

At the same extent if you can lift for 3-5 hours, you aren't working out hard enough and taking too long of rest periods.

End of the day, don't do it.........
    HDThunder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MACKATTACK View Post
    I will be in the gym for an 1 hour and 30 mins but I have a ab, side flank, band work and rotator cuff warmup that takes a good 20 mins and post work out cardio. If you are talking about actually lifting for 3-5 hours you are doing more harm then good in my opinion. I learned when I was younger and not seeing as much growth that shorter more of burst workouts where u shock the muscle, leave and eat will lead to more growth.

If you are working out for 3-5 hours you are probably dealing with an EXTREME AMOUNT of cortisol which in turn eats the amino acids from your muscle and also missing an anabolic window to feed the muscle.

At the same extent if you can lift for 3-5 hours, you aren't working out hard enough and taking too long of rest periods.

End of the day, don't do it.........
    5hrs was a bit extreme and an exaggeration, I can hit 3hrs and get a good workout in with longer rest periods
    I have also been thinking lately about trying the old short rest periods a try out. It may speed up to workout

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Yes, sometimes i have that much free time but do you ever hit over 2hrs in the gym? Sometimes i find myself having way extra energy to keep going and i can go up to a 4hr workout by hitting chest, triceps, some biceps, delts and cardio
    I'm sure this isn't optimal but if you have the time why not spend it draining the tank as much as you can
    I think an hour is about optimal for training. If your intensity level is where is should be an hour or so is all your going to be able to do. Long training sessions can end up being counter productive and even lead to injuries.
    MACKATTACK likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I'll add a slightly different thought here.. a 3 hour long session does not necessarily mean you've worked out for 3 hours. it may sound silly but training with weights is also a 'Skill' that needs to be learned and practiced (just like golf or other skill). you may spend 30 mins slowly progressing in weight for an over head press and that whole 30 mins your simply working on your form and skill as non working sets. Then you hit 3 working sets with heavy weight and max intensity, and that takes you 10 mins. so you spent a total of 40 mins just on overhead press, but really you only spent 10 mins 'working out' . which I think it totally fine to do and woking on your skills in a movement can have huge benefits.
    so a 3 hour workout may have 2 hours of skill set training, and only 1 hour of actual intense training/working out.

as a trainer I see first hand how training with weights is a skill set that needs to be learned and practiced. new lifters often times progress in weight over a period of weeks/months not because they are getting much stronger, they are simply getting better at the skill and movements themselves and dialing in the motor patterns needed.

so nothing wrong with spending hours in the gym "working out", as a lot of that really is just working on your skill sets.
    EDCG19 likes this.

Old Duffer is offline Senior Member
    Fact GH

I'll add that as an old dude on tren , I spend a not insignificant amount of time doing nothing but trying to slow my heart rate n catch my breath!

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    I'll add a slightly different thought here.. a 3 hour long session does not necessarily mean you've worked out for 3 hours. it may sound silly but training with weights is also a 'Skill' that needs to be learned and practiced (just like golf or other skill). you may spend 30 mins slowly progressing in weight for an over head press and that whole 30 mins your simply working on your form and skill as non working sets. Then you hit 3 working sets with heavy weight and max intensity, and that takes you 10 mins. so you spent a total of 40 mins just on overhead press, but really you only spent 10 mins 'working out' . which I think it totally fine to do and woking on your skills in a movement can have huge benefits.
    so a 3 hour workout may have 2 hours of skill set training, and only 1 hour of actual intense training/working out.

as a trainer I see first hand how training with weights is a skill set that needs to be learned and practiced. new lifters often times progress in weight over a period of weeks/months not because they are getting much stronger, they are simply getting better at the skill and movements themselves and dialing in the motor patterns needed.

so nothing wrong with spending hours in the gym "working out", as a lot of that really is just working on your skill sets.
    Thats definitely true. It isn't really 2-3 hrs working out nonstop, some is focused on dynamic stretch/warming up and than you hit the big lifts followed by accessory work which takes me some time since i'm hitting multiple angles with tons of sets for each body part im training that day

I would hate you if u took a bench for 40mins for just an overhead press lmao....

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would hate you if u took a bench for 40mins for just an overhead press lmao....
    He owns the gym so he would tell you to go to LA Fitness. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GearHeaded and MACKATTACK like this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    if your in a busy commercial gym then yeah . but if your in a gym with power lifting equipment and atmosphere , then training for 40 mins on a single movement like over head press is common. thats why I have dedicated dead lifting platforms, dedicated olympic lifting, multiple station power racks, etc.. set up, so that movements can be trained.

I don't over head strict press 225 pounds for reps cause I'm super strong and jacked. Its something I've "practiced", and my gym is set up with areas for people to train movements and not just "workout"
    MACKATTACK likes this.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    if your in a busy commercial gym then yeah . but if your in a gym with power lifting equipment and atmosphere , then training for 40 mins on a single movement like over head press is common. thats why I have dedicated dead lifting platforms, dedicated olympic lifting, multiple station power racks, etc.. set up, so that movements can be trained.

I don't over head strict press 225 pounds for reps cause I'm super strong and jacked. Its something I've "practiced", and my gym is set up with areas for people to train movements and not just "workout"
    This, I can dumbell press overhead 65-70s for reps, but I struggle with 140 on barbell overhead.

I feel all scrunched and impinged with barbell.
    HoldMyBeer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    This, I can dumbell press overhead 65-70s for reps, but I struggle with 140 on barbell overhead.

I feel all scrunched and impinged with barbell.
    Same. 60 each for DB ohp
    85 total for bb
    It's ridiculous. I would think bb would be easier too

I'm stuck at 185 bb for ohp
    Are you sure you guys are using correct form.. you should at least hit 1 plate at OHP for a good amount of reps/sets

We have a seated OHP plate loaded machine and i hit 225 on that..

fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    idk how to feel about this honestly. It's definitely possible taking longer breaks and eating etc.

It would be incredibly hard to feed your body enough, i feel that's the main problem.

Another significant thing would be good god damn the systemic inflammation. Body would be absolutely freaking the fuck out.

Rich Piana 8 hr arm workout was only like 36 sets right? So it wasn't what it sounded like.

La Fitness is one of my gyms so I have seen people sit and "chat" and take a bench for over an hour at around 5-6pm on a Wednesday, its insane. My other gym different story, its more of a competitors gym, different atmosphere and there is a means to what they are doing and not just being selfish with their time.

Thread Information