Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd

Thread: Barbell bicep curl and Overhead press: why are both exercises working odd muscles

CAADsprint is offline Junior Member

Barbell bicep curl and Overhead press: why are both exercises working odd muscles

Recently I've been dosing about 50mg of Cannabis edibles about 1.5-2hours pre workout as I do find that I can tap into a totally different set of focus. I.E I stop ego lifting and focus more on quality control. Noticing a lot about my lifts using the edibles.

Barbell Bicep curl:

rear traps and shoulders seem to engage pretty damn hard. Thought it was cool at first since to me it means they need some work!!!But after learning if barbell curls qualify as a compound movement or not it seems like it's suppose to be almost exclusively just bicep. Anyone have a clue why? does it mean that those fibers are just behind and right now is an excellent time to capitalize on what I need to work on? provided I don't jump up in weight until core strength is gained?

overhead barbell press:
    Using a bit of Bro Science and what Seth Feroce calls using your intuition, as in sometimes you have to shift your body outside of the exercise form to compensate for your body's geometry. I tend to look up at the ceiling, for my body the lifts feel better and maybe over time I'll look more straight ahead. Now I feel my lower back take a hit when I do this. My first thought is it's a good burn. That like the barbell curl those are just structurally weak muscles and they need help.

With both exercises, Fuck all exercises. I'm toning back on the weight to give my body the proper time to build stabilizers and foundational strength so when I'm either on my next cycle or ready to ramp up the weight I can avoid injury and promote healthy fiber growth. Should honestly be past this phase of lifting but I suck at life

For those who may have noticed why I'm asking questions I should know the answer too. admittingly life has been crazy and I haven't been able to consistently train how I want. That is in the midst of changing and understand that I have no place for a cycle/trt Until I'm ready. Frankly knowing that I need to be stable has added personal life goals. Neat how gear really can encourage better lifestyles for some.

Anyway enough bantering. always appreciate the tips given here. its been the best resource for anything athletic period, hopefully in time I can give back
    Last edited by CAADsprint; 04-12-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADsprint View Post
    Recently I've been dosing about 50mg of Cannabis edibles about 1.5-2hours pre workout as I do find that I can tap into a totally different set of focus. I.E I stop ego lifting and focus more on quality control. Noticing a lot about my lifts using the edibles.

Barbell Bicep curl:

rear traps and shoulders seem to engage pretty damn hard. Thought it was cool at first since to me it means they need some work!!!But after learning if barbell curls qualify as a compound movement or not it seems like it's suppose to be almost exclusively just bicep. Anyone have a clue why? does it mean that those fibers are just behind and right now is an excellent time to capitalize on what I need to work on? provided I don't jump up in weight until core strength is gained?

overhead barbell press:
    Using a bit of Bro Science and what Seth Feroce calls using your intuition, as in sometimes you have to shift your body outside of the exercise form to compensate for your body's geometry. I tend to look up at the ceiling, for my body the lifts feel better and maybe over time I'll look more straight ahead. Now I feel my lower back take a hit when I do this. My first thought is it's a good burn. That like the barbell curl those are just structurally weak muscles and they need help.

With both exercises, Fuck all exercises. I'm toning back on the weight to give my body the proper time to build stabilizers and foundational strength so when I'm either on my next cycle or ready to ramp up the weight I can avoid injury and promote healthy fiber growth. Should honestly be past this phase of lifting but I suck at life

For those who may have noticed why I'm asking questions I should know the answer too. admittingly life has been crazy and I haven't been able to consistently train how I want. That is in the midst of changing and understand that I have no place for a cycle/trt Until I'm ready. Frankly knowing that I need to be stable has added personal life goals. Neat how gear really can encourage better lifestyles for some.

Anyway enough bantering. always appreciate the tips given here. its been the best resource for anything athletic period, hopefully in time I can give back
    I used to love getting slightly smokey on way to gym. Edibles, not so much.

But yes, being able to tap into a completely different focus is correct.

Kinda like a dazed out only thing that matters is the lift type of focus. Wasnt able to do the close to Max weights like this, but lighter weight provided better pump and mind muscle connection while slightly stupid. Lol
    CAADsprint likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    I used to love getting slightly smokey on way to gym. Edibles, not so much.

But yes, being able to tap into a completely different focus is correct.

Kinda like a dazed out only thing that matters is the lift type of focus. Wasnt able to do the close to Max weights like this, but lighter weight provided better pump and mind muscle connection while slightly stupid. Lol
    Use edibles for health reasons smoking irritates the lungs. Visited my first dispensary and went for the infused drops and tinctures with some chocolate bars. From the shop each drop(s) or chunk of a bar, gummy or pop is printed with its potency per dose. 20-30mg is about right, 50mg is a nice hit while 100mg is what some call super uber baked? I can understand sometimes you eat edibles from where ever and you either get hit with next to nothing, sometimes nothing or it was super packed with cannabis and your in for a surprise Haha

Use edibles for health reasons smoking irritates the lungs. Visited my first dispensary and went for the infused drops and tinctures with some chocolate bars. From the shop each drop(s) or chunk of a bar, gummy or pop is printed with its potency per dose. 20-30mg is about right, 50mg is a nice hit while 100mg is what some call super uber baked? I can understand sometimes you eat edibles from where ever and you either get hit with next to nothing, sometimes nothing or it was super packed with cannabis and your in for a surprise Haha
    I used to make cookies @ around 300mg each.

2 were scary
    CAADsprint likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    I used to make cookies @ around 300mg each.

2 were scary
    Yeah I'm looking into making some butter in a crock pot real soon cheaper to make your own. Where it is legal for certain situations and all that. I might look into some growing equipment, it can get expensive and in reality the money i spent on it could be going towards some gear but I did splurge on it at thedispensary.

600mg! Damn at what point don't you just brake out the acid! J/k never done acid. I think unless I was out and about or engaged in an activity 600mg would literally knock me out, sad but true.

Anyway its overhead press night and unless I feel something about to buckle I'll continue my form until I read or hear otherwise. 600mg! Man maybe one day

Found off reddit

it's a dull achey pain, and it goes away quickly after you stop, that probably just means your core muscles are weak. You could also be arching your back too much, that's a pretty common form error.

If it's not a dull pain, doesn't go away quickly, or you know it's not a strength/form issue, consult a doctor. If you are questioning whether or not one of those things holds, consult a doctor. If you can afford to, go get a general checkup and consult a doctor anyway. You do not want to fuck around with lower back pain.

So far its
    Squeeze your glutes
    Pull your hips forward
    Tighten your hips
    Lower the weight.

This right?

fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    the weed causing a different focus is probably mediated from some painkilling thing. you can have the exact same effect if not a stronger one by padding the bar so your hands don't get all fucked up and thus allows you to focus on the muscles much better

Yeah I'm looking into making some butter in a crock pot real soon cheaper to make your own. Where it is legal for certain situations and all that. I might look into some growing equipment, it can get expensive and in reality the money i spent on it could be going towards some gear but I did splurge on it at thedispensary.

600mg! Damn at what point don't you just brake out the acid! J/k never done acid. I think unless I was out and about or engaged in an activity 600mg would literally knock me out, sad but true.

Anyway its overhead press night and unless I feel something about to buckle I'll continue my form until I read or hear otherwise. 600mg! Man maybe one day
    Pm me I'll give you a quick crash course and links to good priced equipment. I got 15 years experience in the "field".

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Thanks for taking the conversation to PM guys, much appreciated!
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information