Results 1 to 31 of 31
Like Tree33Likes
  • 3 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By cylon357
  • 1 Post By Jayd85
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By kbunyan
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 3 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 2 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 2 Post By AR's King Silabolin
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 3 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By cylon357
  • 2 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By cylon357
  • 3 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By charger69

Thread: Exercises you DONíT do

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    869

    Exercises you DONíT do

    I know the old adage is the exercises you need to be doing are the ones youíre not doing, but are there any that just donít work for you?

    Iíll begin

    Frech press - These make me feel like my elbows are going to explode

    Good mornings - I feel like the best case scenario with these is one where you donít end up with a loaded barbell on the back of your neck when your back blows out and you fall over forward.
    Obs, MuscleScience and songdog like this.

  2. #2
    Windex's Avatar
    Windex is online now MONITOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arctic Circle
    Posts
    3,483
    Anything involving a kettlebell.
    I no longer check my inbox. If you PM me I will not reply.

  3. #3
    cylon357's Avatar
    cylon357 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    I know the old adage is the exercises you need to be doing are the ones you’re not doing, but are there any that just don’t work for you?

    I’ll begin

    Frech press - These make me feel like my elbows are going to explode

    Good mornings - I feel like the best case scenario with these is one where you don’t end up with a loaded barbell on the back of your neck when your back blows out and you fall over forward.
    I do seated good mornings when I am in a true strength building phase (rather than just maintenance).

    I do NOT do upright rows, any form of weighted plyometric, any stability ball work, wrist rollers or any neck work on the regular.

    I will say I feel like I should be doing some neck work and MAYBE wrist rollers on occasion but the rest of that I personally don't want any part of.
    Obs likes this.

  4. #4
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    No kettlebells
    No calesthenics
    No running
    No skull crushers because of elbows
    No deads because of back

    I stay lighter with weight and never have maxed on anything.

  5. #5
    Jayd85's Avatar
    Jayd85 is online now Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    No kettlebells
    No calesthenics
    No running
    No skull crushers because of elbows
    No deads because of back

    I stay lighter with weight and never have maxed on anything.
    I agree with all of these. How do hammer curls treat your elbow?. Theyíre a killer for me.
    Obs likes this.

  6. #6
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayd85 View Post
    I agree with all of these. How do hammer curls treat your elbow?. They’re a killer for me.
    Curls dont bug me but if I am doing preachers I can't let any pad contact my elbow and I never fully extend
    Jayd85 likes this.

  7. #7
    kbunyan is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    159
    For me bench press. I can go 180 and maye 225. Anything more i feel one of my shoulders is gonna pop off
    MuscleScience likes this.

  8. #8
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by kbunyan View Post
    For me bench press. I can go 180 and maye 225. Anything more i feel one of my shoulders is gonna pop off
    Check your form with Couchlockd
    almostgone likes this.

  9. #9
    HoldMyBeer is online now Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,578
    Inclined barbell bench press. Hurts shoulder too much
    Bulgarian split squats, hurts knee

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by kbunyan View Post
    For me bench press. I can go 180 and maye 225. Anything more i feel one of my shoulders is gonna pop off
    Are you using your shoulders as a hinge instead of rolling them?
    Obs likes this.

  11. #11
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    12,618
    Blog Entries
    6
    Good mornings, such a silly exercise and just asking for a disc injury.

    I don’t do deads much anymore, mostly because I’m worried about blowing out my bicep now. But I love doing them. I’ve switched to the trap bar but still irritates the bicep.

    I don’t do calf raises much anymore, shooting hoops and sprints are more than enough for me to grow them.

    Flat bench over 225. Flat out kills my shoulder...
    I’ve switched to heavy( for me) incline benches instead.
    Obs likes this.
    ďIf you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.Ē Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    \

    I don’t do calf raises much anymore, shooting hoops and sprints are more than enough for me to grow them.
    Lucky you. I have shitty calves and have to throw the book at them
    Obs likes this.

  13. #13
    Ashop's Avatar
    Ashop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,568
    Behind the neck shoulder presses.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashop View Post
    Behind the neck shoulder presses.
    I use to love alternating these with regular military presses. Alas I think my right shoulder is just kind of permanently shitty now
    Obs likes this.

  15. #15
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    I use to love alternating these with regular military presses. Alas I think my right shoulder is just kind of permanently shitty now
    I am incapable of that movement. Shoulders just dont go that far.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I am incapable of that movement. Shoulders just dont go that far.
    Don’t feel bad. If I lose much more flexibility in my hamstrings bent over rows are going to become standing straight the fuck up rows
    Obs and cylon357 like this.

  17. #17
    AR's King Silabolin's Avatar
    AR's King Silabolin is online now Castle Power
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,162
    Good mornings. And those machines where u squise the inside of your thighs together. Girls only. And always turned against the wall. But at a studentgym ages ago i remember, someone turned them facing the room over nigth lol. Damned, seing those wet student pussies squised together over and over almost made me come during curls lol

    BUT, several times i have seen Kai Greene do those, so perhaps we should give it a try. Specially rigth after a girl when the scent stil can be noticed...

    Sorry guys... Just a little horney this morning.

    Sent fra min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk

    Last edited by AR's King Silabolin; 09-05-2019 at 02:06 AM.
    i_SLAM_cougars and HoldMyBeer like this.

  18. #18
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,577
    Decline bench press - thats how I jacked up my rotator cuff. when in declined position your shoulder positioning becomes somewhat compromised.. plus the decline position shortens your range of motion and makes you stronger on the exercise so you generally add more load to the bar then normal bench press . so now instead of 295 on the bar you may have 315. more weight, plus shoulder in compromised position = more chance of shoulder injury.

    its a worthless exercise to me now.. besides, who really needs to target the lower chest. 99% of us still need more upper chest, and if you build your upper chest, due to gravity, your lower and whole chest will look bigger and fuller anyways.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

  19. #19
    CA_DXB_85 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    112
    With my shoulder surgeries and that disk in my neck, I dont even think about doing behind the neck shoulder press lol

  20. #20
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,577
    just to throw a little bit of exercise science into this discussion. when programing exercises, you should strongly consider the exercises "SFR" rating, ie, Stimulus to Fatigue Ratio. especially if your goal is hypertrophy .
    what does this mean . well every exercise has a certain amount of stimulus to the given muscle group your training and also a certain amount of fatigue that exercise generates.

    so for example . strict concentration curls for biceps. that exercise has a very high SFR rating, its highly stimulating to the bicep muscle yet not very fatiguing to the rest of your body, cardiovascular system, or CNS (and therefore easy to recover from).
    if your goal is bicep hypertrophy, its a good choice based on SFR rating.

    another example. Dead lifts for the purpose of training your upper back. that exercise has a very low SFR rating. its not highly stimulating to that specific muscle group yet its very fatiguing. its going to be difficult to recover from yet not provide you much stimulus and hypertrophy to the exact muscle your trying to train. your probably better off going with a chest supported machine row to target the upper back.


    so just something to consider when choosing what exercises to do and which ones to ditch
    i_SLAM_cougars, 956Vette and Obs like this.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    just to throw a little bit of exercise science into this discussion. when programing exercises, you should strongly consider the exercises "SFR" rating, ie, Stimulus to Fatigue Ratio. especially if your goal is hypertrophy .
    what does this mean . well every exercise has a certain amount of stimulus to the given muscle group your training and also a certain amount of fatigue that exercise generates.

    so for example . strict concentration curls for biceps. that exercise has a very high SFR rating, its highly stimulating to the bicep muscle yet not very fatiguing to the rest of your body, cardiovascular system, or CNS (and therefore easy to recover from).
    if your goal is bicep hypertrophy, its a good choice based on SFR rating.

    another example. Dead lifts for the purpose of training your upper back. that exercise has a very low SFR rating. its not highly stimulating to that specific muscle group yet its very fatiguing. its going to be difficult to recover from yet not provide you much stimulus and hypertrophy to the exact muscle your trying to train. your probably better off going with a chest supported machine row to target the upper back.


    so just something to consider when choosing what exercises to do and which ones to ditch

    So who wants to make the list? Then we make it it’s own thread, because I feel like this is pretty important
    Obs likes this.

  22. #22
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    So who wants to make the list? Then we make it it’s own thread, because I feel like this is pretty important
    I will start with biceps.

    Iso curl machine warmup.
    Get the blood flowing till it hurts a little with high reps of 15-20 or so.

    Preacher curl dumbell go half the weight of your max set of 10.
    Concentrate.
    Only bicep.
    You are using dumbells because the natural lay evens out with both the long and short head.

    Vbar cable curls, leave your delt out of it.

    Reverse grip staight bar curl. No bullshit just the bicep. You are feeling the burn at the insertions.

    Drag curl.
    This is a hard form to master.
    Your delts will want to get involved so bad they will try to jerk your shoulders out.

    This burn goes to failure and wait a short time of maybe 30 seconds, drop ten lbs and again.
    Repeat.

    Adjust your reps to suit your training style at the time.
    I rotate from 5 to 8 to 12 dependin on where my training is at.

    I never do the same workout but this filled my biceps out from tip to tip.

    The pain on drag curls done right on the end hits both heads hard as hell but primarily the outside and lower insertion.
    Thats the part everyone suffers at.

    Its a terrible pain and this is where I lose inhibition to be quiet and everyone looks in my direction at my erection.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

  23. #23
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post

    I stay lighter with weight and never have maxed on anything.
    Except with Charger. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I will start with biceps.

    Iso curl machine warmup.
    .
    Iíll bet Obs looks cute in the iso curl machine. LOL



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I’ll bet Obs looks cute in the iso curl machine. LOL



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I set it light too

  26. #26
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,778
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Except with Charger. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was pretty close to maxing when I was curling you.

  27. #27
    cylon357's Avatar
    cylon357 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    So who wants to make the list? Then we make it it’s own thread, because I feel like this is pretty important
    My gut says that in general, isolation exercises are going to have a higher SFR than compound exercises. Then individual anatomy will dictate specifics from there.

    GH, is SFR a relative thing rather than an absolute measure?
    GearHeaded likes this.

  28. #28
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,577
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    My gut says that in general, isolation exercises are going to have a higher SFR than compound exercises. Then individual anatomy will dictate specifics from there.

    GH, is SFR a relative thing rather than an absolute measure?
    your right, there is a ton of individual variability that goes into exercise programming and SFR.

    its goal dependent as well and also has to work in conjunction with the persons MRV (maximum recoverable volume).

    I'll explain -

    lets say someones goal IS in fact to increase their over all fitness capacity, endurance, burn cals , etc.. they are actually going to purposely look for more fatiguing exercises (the opposite of a bodybuilder).. they may do something like 10 mins all out on a row machine, then do 10 sets of 10 rep deadlifts with 30 seconds rest between sets,, then do 5 sets of 20 rep squats . that shit is all highly fatiguing, but not going to stimulate a lot of muscle directly.
    their fitness capacity will increase for sure.

    if a bodybuilder did that same routine , he's not going to get jacked and build individual muscle groups he needs. he would be too exhausted from that routine to bodybuild . he wouldn't recover, he would hit his MRV before even getting a chance to stimulate specific muscle groups..


    heres another way to think about some of these things.. think of it like a bank account with a fixed budget . or like a point system.
    lets say your MRV has a total of 100 points to work with. thats your MRV "budget". you can't go higher then that.. well you need to divy that 100 points out over your entire programming and exercise selection..
    so lets say--
    preacher curls is 10 points
    tricep extension is 10 points
    bench press is 25 points
    leg extension is 15 points
    squats is 35 points

    you get the point (pun intended).. eventually you hit 100 points snd your done. you have nothing more to work with. SFR clearly plays a role here.

    now lets say your a body builder and your basically at 90 points and you only have 10 points left in your budget. lets say you need to develop your traps.
    well if you think to yourself , shit great dead lifters all have very developed traps, I need to add deadlifts to my routine. well shit dead lifts will probably cost you 45 points. thats going to blow your budget out of the water and you'll have to take away so many other great SFR based exercises .
    so you need to think of something to stimulate traps that will only cost you 10 points and work within your budget.. so how about cable machine rope shrugs for example. very trap stimulating yet not a lot of fatigue.


    hope that makes sense..


    there is a 'science' to all this shit. I know a lot of meat heads that just pound the iron instinctively don't really think so ,, but you can spend 8 years in school and get a Phd "doctorate" just in exercise science . medical doctors go to school for the same amount of time, just to put it in perspective. a "doctor" of exercise science and programming has spend 8 years in school and conducting studies and working under professors, and done internships etc.. just like a medical doctor, to get his degree.
    so there is a lot we can learn from the medical and "science" based aspects of exercise programming , and not just have to be meat heads about it
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 09-10-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    i_SLAM_cougars and cylon357 like this.

  29. #29
    cylon357's Avatar
    cylon357 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    your right, there is a ton of individual variability that goes into exercise programming and SFR.

    its goal dependent as well and also has to work in conjunction with the persons MRV (maximum recoverable volume).

    I'll explain -

    lets say someones goal IS in fact to increase their over all fitness capacity, endurance, burn cals , etc.. they are actually going to purposely look for more fatiguing exercises (the opposite of a bodybuilder).. they may do something like 10 mins all out on a row machine, then do 10 sets of 10 rep deadlifts with 30 seconds rest between sets,, then do 5 sets of 20 rep squats . that shit is all highly fatiguing, but not going to stimulate a lot of muscle directly.
    their fitness capacity will increase for sure.

    if a bodybuilder did that same routine , he's not going to get jacked and build individual muscle groups he needs. he would be too exhausted from that routine to bodybuild . he wouldn't recover, he would hit his MRV before even getting a chance to stimulate specific muscle groups..


    heres another way to think about some of these things.. think of it like a bank account with a fixed budget . or like a point system.
    lets say your MRV has a total of 100 points to work with. thats your MRV "budget". you can't go higher then that.. well you need to divy that 100 points out over your entire programming and exercise selection..
    so lets say--
    preacher curls is 10 points
    tricep extension is 10 points
    bench press is 25 points
    leg extension is 15 points
    squats is 35 points

    you get the point (pun intended).. eventually you hit 100 points snd your done. you have nothing more to work with. SFR clearly plays a role here.

    now lets say your a body builder and your basically at 90 points and you only have 10 points left in your budget. lets say you need to develop your traps.
    well if you think to yourself , shit great dead lifters all have very developed traps, I need to add deadlifts to my routine. well shit dead lifts will probably cost you 45 points. thats going to blow your budget out of the water and you'll have to take away so many other great SFR based exercises .
    so you need to think of something to stimulate traps that will only cost you 10 points and work within your budget.. so how about cable machine rope shrugs for example. very trap stimulating yet not a lot of fatigue.


    hope that makes sense..


    there is a 'science' to all this shit. I know a lot of meat heads that just pound the iron instinctively don't really think so ,, but you can spend 8 years in school and get a Phd "doctorate" just in exercise science . medical doctors go to school for the same amount of time, just to put it in perspective. a "doctor" of exercise science and programming has spend 8 years in school and conducting studies and working under professors, and done internships etc.. just like a medical doctor, to get his degree.
    so there is a lot we can learn from the medical and "science" based aspects of exercise programming , and not just have to be meat heads about it
    This is a great response. Thank you for taking the time!

    Love the example of having points to spend ie a budget. I think everyone can relate to this.

    Also, I think the "meathead" is dying out. With nearly unlimited access to information in a large part of the world, I think (hope) most Iron Brothers and Sisters understand that 'me move weight, me get big' isn't all there is to it.

    Thanks!
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

  30. #30
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I was pretty close to maxing when I was curling your penis.
    Fixed



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obs, i_SLAM_cougars and cylon357 like this.

  31. #31
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post

    Also, I think the "meathead" is dying out.

    Thanks!
    Iím still alive and kicking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cylon357 likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •