Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Small
  • 2 Post By Cuz
  • 2 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 2 Post By Charlie67
  • 3 Post By tbjake34
  • 1 Post By davg
  • 1 Post By Testie

Thread: How many sets for biceps and triceps?

Mr. Small is offline Member

How many sets for biceps and triceps?

In a lot of programs online, they specify maybe working biceps twice a week, with 3 sets each. The same with triceps. I usually do 10 in total for the week for biceps and the same for tri's.

How many sets a week do you do for biceps?
    Testie likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Tuesday
    Biceps, 3 warm up sets, 2 exercises, 8 working sets of about 10-15 reps
    Triceps, 1 warm-up, 2 exercises, 8 working sets of about 10-15 reps

Thursday, superset:
    Biceps, 1 exercise, 6 sets of 18-20
    Triceps, 1 exercise, 6 sets of 18-20

So I guess 3 exercise each per week, 14 sets.... Or so.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    I don’t do anything specifically. Just work the piss out of them. Heavy barbell curls are best and preachers id say were second. Gotta have the mind muscle flex connection. Form is critical and squeeze as well. I may hit them 3x times a week sometimes. Tris get alot of work from chest and delt day so dont over train
    Mr. Small and Testie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    Tuesday
    Biceps, 3 warm up sets, 2 exercises, 8 working sets of about 10-15 reps
    Triceps, 1 warm-up, 2 exercises, 8 working sets of about 10-15 reps

Thursday, superset:
    Biceps, 1 exercise, 6 sets of 18-20
    Triceps, 1 exercise, 6 sets of 18-20

So I guess 3 exercise each per week, 14 sets.... Or so.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Man that's a lot of reps compared to a 3x8. Do you prefer the lighter weights?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I don’t do anything specifically. Just work the piss out of them. Heavy barbell curls are best and preachers id say were second. Gotta have the mind muscle flex connection. Form is critical and squeeze as well. I may hit them 3x times a week sometimes. Tris get alot of work from chest and delt day so dont over train
    Yeah, seems to be bit like my setup

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I don’t do more than 3 exercise x 3-4 sets per week for biceps and triceps. Bad elbows is one reason. Another is I’m done growing, I just want to maintain. Also, as mentioned already, you hit bis and tris with other exercises as well. In my early lifting days I would dedicate an entire day to just arms, sometimes two.
    Mr. Small and Hughinn like this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    Man that's a lot of reps compared to a 3x8. Do you prefer the lighter weights?
    My Tuesday, after warm-up sets, is only 2 exercises for Bi's and 2 for Tri's, for 4 sets. So its only 4 excises, coupled with shoulders for 3 more exercises, so my total workout is only 7 exercises for the whole workout. Takes about 70-75 Mins.

"light" is relative I suppose, I'm not sure how to answer that, it feels heavy at the time

The superset on Thursday is focused on high rep pump sets, so yes, its lighter.
    Testie and Mr. Small like this.

tbjake34 is offline Senior Member
    I have 21in arms just throwing that out there. Heres the best way to blow ur arms up I promise u will see gains from this.
    Hammer preacher curl machine: 3 sets squeeeeze the shit out of every rep 15 reps not to failure but close. were pumping the bicep for the rest of the workout here.
    Standing Alternating dumbell curl: 3 sets moderate weight 12-15 reps again squeeze as hard as u can at the top. Fail on the last set but make sure to get at least 12
    Standing straight barbell curl these are my favorite they will give thicknesss. 3 sets 12-15 reps moderate weight fail on the last set to 12 at least.
    Standing alternating hammer curls. Going straight up and down not across the chest. 3 sets 12-15 reps again
    Triceps:
    v bar pushdowns. 3 sets 15 reps squeeze really hard at the bottom and grip the bar hard when u squeeze. Focusing on pumping them up as much as possible. lean forward focus on driving the bar into the ground.
    Skull crushers: 3 sets 12-15 fail on the last set
    single arm overhead extension dumbell or rope. 3 sets 12-15 reps fail on last set
    dips: keep elbows in body upright dont lean forward. 3 sets to fail superset with close grip push ups. ull only be able to get a couple but u will see the pump is insane.

If that doesnt work. TRy really high reps like 100 rep sets and crazy supersets get creative.

I know guys say u need to life heavy weight to build thick dense muscle which is true BUT with arms and delts Its all about pumping them up. 12-15 reps or even more its better with a moderate weight just try it. And only train arms once a week they get ton of work during other body parts. Shit even not training them for a couple weeks can help if they arent responding.
    Last edited by tbjake34; 09-03-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    Mr. Small, Testie and Cuz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tbjake34 View Post
    I have 21in arms just throwing that out there. Heres the best way to blow ur arms up I promise u will see gains from this.
    Hammer preacher curl machine: 3 sets squeeeeze the shit out of every rep 15 reps not to failure but close. were pumping the bicep for the rest of the workout here.
    Standing Alternating dumbell curl: 3 sets moderate weight 12-15 reps again squeeze as hard as u can at the top. Fail on the last set but make sure to get at least 12
    Standing straight barbell curl these are my favorite they will give thicknesss. 3 sets 12-15 reps moderate weight fail on the last set to 12 at least.
    Standing alternating hammer curls. Going straight up and down not across the chest. 3 sets 12-15 reps again
    Triceps:
    v bar pushdowns. 3 sets 15 reps squeeze really hard at the bottom and grip the bar hard when u squeeze. Focusing on pumping them up as much as possible. lean forward focus on driving the bar into the ground.
    Skull crushers: 3 sets 12-15 fail on the last set
    single arm overhead extension dumbell or rope. 3 sets 12-15 reps fail on last set
    dips: keep elbows in body upright dont lean forward. 3 sets to fail superset with close grip push ups. ull only be able to get a couple but u will see the pump is insane.

If that doesnt work. TRy really high reps like 100 rep sets and crazy supersets get creative.

I know guys say u need to life heavy weight to build thick dense muscle which is true BUT with arms and delts Its all about pumping them up. 12-15 reps or even more its better with a moderate weight just try it. And only train arms once a week they get ton of work during other body parts. Shit even not training them for a couple weeks can help if they arent responding.
    Might give this a go for a bit

davg is offline New Member
    Depends on your preparation and purpose. I do 3-4 exercises for 3 approaches. This way muscles get the necessary load, there is no sense to do less at all. Try to do it according to your feeling.
    Hughinn likes this.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    I don’t do more than 3 exercise x 3-4 sets per week for biceps and triceps. Bad elbows is one reason. Another is I’m done growing, I just want to maintain. Also, as mentioned already, you hit bis and tris with other exercises as well. In my early lifting days I would dedicate an entire day to just arms, sometimes two.
    I like what test said here.

For example any pulling excercises that work your back, also work your biceps. Pushing is the same. Most pushing excercises also work your triceps.

Unless your goal is bodybuilding, alot of isolation work is unnecessary.

I've been in wrestling most of my life. Do just a few isolation excercises and have 18inch biceps that don't look big.

But I know some smaller guys into bodybuilding with 16-17 inch biceps that look huge. They do alot of isolation work. Because to me, isolation is for sculpting and definition. Which is going to give a good appearance of being big. Compound work is for mass and strength. But it won't sculpt your muscles as much.

So it'd be tailor it to your goals.

A heavyweight boxer or wrestler isn't going to care what his biceps measure or look like. But a bodybuilder has to.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 04-22-2021 at 03:11 AM.

Testie is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mr. Small;7524396]In a lot of programs online, they specify maybe working biceps twice a week, with 3 sets each. The same with triceps. I usually do 10 in total for the week for biceps and the same for tri's.

In my opinion there is not a one size fits all, I hit arms 3 times a week sometimes and sometimes I probably overtrain but I love hitting biceps and triceps. The only way I get growth now is constantly switching up meaning exercises, reps and weight. Some days I’ll go lower reps never less than 10 with heavier weights and sometimes I might crank out a lot of reps but the weight may seem light but my rest periods are shorter etc. sometimes I super set tris and biceps, sometimes I train triceps first then biceps and vice versa, sometimes they get their own day. I think the biggest part for me is making sure I get some good protein and carbs ASAP after the workout and get in the bed early, I don’t have the biggest arms in the gym but I can tell you I was a scrawny kid who has pushed fairly close to my genetic limits even though I would like to think I can still get huge one day, I have followed strict regiments but now I train instinctively and just have fun. Good luck my Brother hope to see you sporting 20” guns
    Mr. Small likes this.

Thread Information