Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By fit_deskjocky
  • 1 Post By Hughinn
  • 2 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: My lower and mid chest are growing so fast compared to my upper chest

TheDreamer is offline Associate Member

My lower and mid chest are growing so fast compared to my upper chest

So fast that I stopped doing flat barbells and dumbells to avoid getting a gyno-like looking chest. Either that or I'm stupid.

For now I am only doing one flat chest exercise and the remaining will be upper chest ones along flyes. Or maybe I only need to do one flat exercise per week and not actually two times (I work chest twice a week)?

What do you guys recommend me? Maybe I just take advantage and let my chest grow like crazy. It's not like some chest fat isn't going away after cutting anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    Are you doing any decline work, including a heavy arch on flat benching?

Are you doing dips?

And when you say 'upper chest' exercises, do you mean incline work?
    Yes, I'm doing decline cable chest (standing). It's only one exercise though.

No, no dips at all. I though the decline cable would be enough?

Yes, upper chest means incline. I do incline dumbbells, incline barbell and then an incline (push up?) in a machine. So it's 3 inclines, 1 decline, 1 fly and then the flat (either barbell in a smith machine or on dumbbells) I am trying to incorporate. That's like 6 exercises on chest days. I don't think I'm overtraining because it's 2 times a week.
    Last edited by TheDreamer; 02-03-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Albedo121 is offline Junior Member
    Can definitely testify to weighted dips with the right angle and moving towards weighted will likely help with this. To give it a boost, drop set into cable flys to burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Albedo121 View Post
    Can definitely testify to weighted dips with the right angle and moving towards weighted will likely help with this. To give it a boost, drop set into cable flys to burnout.
    I used to do dips but always ended up with bad form and that's why I switched.

wellshii is offline Member
    If it's growing as fast compared to upper as you say it is,it's mostly genetics.
    You can drop the other work completely and do upper chest work but pics in this situation would help.
    And although this is Tnation article,it's at least something to show EMG on parts of the chest

https://www.t-nation.com/training/in...ceps-exercises

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I do 0 incline chest exercises because my shoulder is messed up, but my upper chest still gets sore from flat dumbbell presses and standing cable flys. I agree with wellshii that it's mostly going to come down to genetics.
    TheDreamer and wellshii like this.

fit_deskjocky is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
    I used to do dips but always ended up with bad form and that's why I switched.
    I switched to seated machine dips but I put my knee on the seat to get a good forward bend. You may just progress faster genetically with your lower chest. I like Smith Machine Incline with the ROM at the lower end coming down across my collarbone
    TheDreamer likes this.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
    So fast that I stopped doing flat barbells and dumbells to avoid getting a gyno-like looking chest. Either that or I'm stupid.

For now I am only doing one flat chest exercise and the remaining will be upper chest ones along flyes. Or maybe I only need to do one flat exercise per week and not actually two times (I work chest twice a week)?

What do you guys recommend me? Maybe I just take advantage and let my chest grow like crazy. It's not like some chest fat isn't going away after cutting anyways.
    A strong and wide set of shoulders, starts with overhead pressing. Thats the foundation of a strong set of shoulders. All the other pressing exercises are for the chest.

But, honestly, I a know nothing about bodybuilding. I learned how to train as an athlete. And its alot different
    TheDreamer likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughinn View Post
    A strong and wide set of shoulders, starts with overhead pressing. Thats the foundation of a strong set of shoulders. All the other pressing exercises are for the chest.

But, honestly, I a know nothing about bodybuilding. I learned how to train as an athlete. And its alot different

Overhead shoulder presses can cause a lot of damage to the rotator cuff. It's a somewhat unnatural movement. I haven't lost any size in shoulders since I quit doing overhead presses 2 years ago. I would say that for big, wide shoulders, side laterals and shrugs are more effective. There are always different ways to get the same results, though, which is why every bodybuilder swears by one thing or another.
    crazy_rocks and Hughinn like this.

Thread Information