jdscott is offline New Member

starting over (need advice from a veteran)

Advice from an advanced lifter who has been through this would be greatly appreciated. I have been working out for over 8 years and have never taken off more than 2 weeks every year for rest. For the first time ever I have been out of the gym for 3 months due to injuries (small injuries that added up and couldn't be worked through like I usually do). My first day back from this 3 month layoff was 11/10/03. Before starting back working out I could not wait to get into the gym. Once I had my first workout I was crushed mentally due to the strength I had lost. Before my layoff my max was: squat 375 for 3, bench press 325 for 3, deadlift 505 for 2. I max maybe once a month and my rep range when not maxing was 6 to 8. My bodyweight was 183 at 9% bodyfat. I now weigh 186 and bodyfat at around 15%. I could barely get 185lb for 4 sets of 10 on the squat and then tried 225 just to see if I could get 1 or 2 reps and couldn't do it! How long will this last and what kind of workout should I use to get back into it? Splits, reps, any advice would help. I am 100% natural and always have been but now that I am 31, I think before my layoff I was at my max potential and am going to try AS as soon as I get back up to speed.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    After some time off you gains are almost always going to decrease. I too had to take time off after an injury. When I got back into the gym i was pissed cause I was no where near what I was lifting before. However, with time you will get back to your previous place. How long will it take? I can't really say becasue everyone's body is different...for me it took me about a month to get there...and a solid month and a half to feel confident on where I was. Now I am good to go. Just stay focused and keep it up. Don't try and hit your max within the first two to three weeks...slowly get into it...your body is not going anywhere...take your time and get the muscles warmed up again.

Good luck and welcome back to the gym!

jdscott is offline New Member

follow up

The info helps to mentally get back into it, but do you have any advice on the workout I should stick with for a while. Should I start with a begining routine?? Or just modify my routine?? Before the layoff I worked 1 bodypart per day and hit it pretty hard. Mon.=legs: Tue. =chest: Wed. =back: Thur. =shoulders: Fri. =arms. Should I stick with that and take it easy or should I work two body parts per day and of course take it easy until I get up to speed. Any advice on rep range?

Thread Information