bermich is offline Anabolic Member

Girlfriends and owning a gun

I dont own a gun and I am not currently living with my fiance. Although, within the next few months things will be changing and so will my address.
    I will be moving into my new house along with my fiance.
    She is firm on the issue that guns can end up in the hands of children resulting in death She hears stories of children finding a gun and curiosity takes over. She has never shot or even held a gun before.

How do I persuade her otherwise. How do I help edge her over into realizing that having a gun in the house is for safety.
    I am trying to take her to a shooting range so she can actually shoot one and realize she has control over it and not vice versa. Maybe she might even enjoy shooting one.

Since we have no kids, the gun shouldnt be an issue until four or five years from now. I just dont like the idea of being in a newly constructed house in a remote location without protection. Armed response will not save me in five minutes or less and neither will cops.

Any suggestions besides the shooting range idea?

ttuPrincess Guest
    Thats probably the best idea... i was very afraid of guns untill Coldstone took me out to his land and let me shoot... Now i love it.... im still afraid a bit of having one in teh house, but Im a bit more open to it

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Put on a ski mask and let yourself into her house one night when she's asleep and wake her up suddenly and scare the piss out of her, that should work. Ask her what she would do if that was a real situation.

Granted the marriage could be cancelled but how important is this gun thing to you?

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor

Granted the marriage could be cancelled but how important is this gun thing to you?
    Its not really an important issue. I just like to be prepared. She said I could have a crossbow but that seems a little gay. Cant hide a crossbow under my pillow.

I dont like the idea of rapists or burglarers coming into my house at night with guns. What am I gonna do, hit them with my pillow??

" Burglar subdued by goose down feater pillow" details an ten.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    " Burglar subdued by goose down feater pillow" details an ten.
    lmao

Berm its just ignorance... teach her about the gun. as long as she knows a lot about it I am sure she would be "alright" with it

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Definitly teach her about the weapon and how to use it. As long as there are NO kids in the house.......having your gun by your bed is not a bad idea. I keep mine on the night stand for the same reason. I'm in a brand new house in a neighborhood that has a few less than desireable's. BUT when I leave out of the house ..... if Im not carrying concealed (which I do on occasion) it's put away. I don't have a gun safe...that's my next purchase. I would suggest that as soon as you have kids and they get mobile, you have a good gun safe to put it in. You can get a small gun safe for cheap that will keep the kids out.

Most people are afraid of guns....if they've never been around them. All they know is that they are used to put holes in people and things. Teach her to shoot and respect it. That gun may save her life or your childs some day.

Also, please don't think that you can simply educate kids to not touch your weapon. I thought my daughter fully understood the don't touch rule and why....until one day her and two of her scum bag friends broke into my bedroom (which I kept LOCKED) and played with my gun....they also ransacked my room and stole $500.00. I was lucky that all I lost was my $. I could have lost my daughter and ended up in jail for contributing to someone's death by not properly securing the gun.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

How do you secure a gun from a child???

She is worried the kid will find it and play with it and shoot him herself.

I told her we can teach the kid gun safety or something. That is her fear

Where do you keep your gun if you have children? Do you keep the clip seperate.
    Do you keep the gun locked, etc. If so, do you have time to get to it in an emergancy.

Its lame crap like that that I need to figure out. Im in no hurry. Just want to be able to protect my family in the future.
    Maybe a bazooka.

Why not keep your guns in a safe?

My buddy keeps a loaded handgun (which is illegal in canada) in a "quicksafe" in his night-table. The gunsafe can be opened in less than 5 seconds when you punch in the right code.

By the way, your GF is right to think kids will find guns and play with them... I'm not going to debate gun control or any of that cräp, but I am living proof that kids do find guns and accidents happen. (I still have a 22 cal scar on my left arm from being a curious 2nd grader who found dads's 22 and the bullets).

Red

trigger locks are very effective. Put the lock on your car keys. When it is unlocked half of the lock will not come off the key you have to relock it to get the lock off your keyring thus you won't forget to relock it. Unless you end up dragging half the lock around with you attached to your keys (unlikely)

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    I keep all but one of my clips in my locker at the police station ... but that's the nice thing about being a cop.

The gun...if I am not home for now.... I keep the clip out of the gun and the clip is locked in a fire box...and I have the key with me on my keyring. When I come home.....I load the gun and it goes on my night stand.

My daughter is 16 now and much more aware of what the gun can do after a few trips to the range....so I don't worry that she will touch it when I am home.

My suggestion to you is.... keep it locked up ... however you chose when you are not present. A quick safe is a good idea ... esp if you want your wife to be able to access it if you aren't home. Keep it loaded if it's in the safe because you don't want her fumbling to get a clip in and a round in the chamber when some jackass is trying to break in. At the end of the day, bring it out, put it on the night stand and secure it in the am.

ALSO....the ammo storeage if you can't fit what you have in the safe....make sure you put it some where .... where the kids can't get their hands on it and so something silly with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    How do you secure a gun from a child???
    She is worried the kid will find it and play with it and shoot him herself.

I told her we can teach the kid gun safety or something. That is her fear

Where do you keep your gun if you have children? Do you keep the clip seperate.
    Do you keep the gun locked, etc. If so, do you have time to get to it in an emergancy.

Its lame crap like that that I need to figure out. Im in no hurry. Just want to be able to protect my family in the future.
    Maybe a bazooka.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

decadbal is offline Banned
    tell her to piss off and move to england where they wont let those pussies carry a weapon...

ducati996 is offline Associate Member
    Take a stand and just get one, get a quick safe to keep it in. If she loves you she will get over it. I have many guns hidden all over my house. I pitty the fool who gets the courage to break into my house. I am lucky my woman loves guns and we do go shooting all the time. She couldnt hit a brick wall if it was in front of her but she still loves to go to the range.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i keep 4 guns in my house.. if you were to see one, you should assume it is loaded.. because it is..

a unloaded gun is a hammer..

I raised 2 children to adulthood.. never had a problem.. took them out at dusk, they were about 5 and 7

just starting to get dark.. put them at an angle and about 50 feet away.. .

shot a gal waterbottle from 20' away... the fireball that comes out, and the concussion from a 357 will scare the hell out of anyone..

When there are children in our house they guns are kept in a safe..

the hand guns are kept in quick access handgun cases.. loaded.. again, a unloaded gun is a hammer.. i don't care how proficient you are with it.. you have to get to it, and in a case of panic (and you will be) a chance of error..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

workdude is offline Senior Member
    I keep a gun in my house. I have three boys. What I did was show them the gun (unloaded of course) and said here touch it look at it get all the curiosity you have about it out. Then I put it back in my office and told them they can never touch it when i'm not around. If they want to see it just ask. We have never had a problem. I think you have to educate them about it. If you try and keep it a secret or just tell them they will get curious, and thats when you have problems. Just my thoughts.

Never thought about a quick safe and punch code lock. Always thought about the dialing digit lock. Trigger lock is a good idea too.
    I think Im gonna take a trip to my brothers house with her and see if we can go shooting some of his guns.

Thanks

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Im in no hurry. Just want to be able to protect my family in the future.
    Have you looked into the benefits of moat ownership? My uncle sells and installs moat systems, ranging from simple water bodies, to alligator and shark filled specials insured to keep the black knight at bay. I could definitely hook you up with him if you'd like. Not only practical and convenient, the presence of a moat can add significantly to the value of your home.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Have you looked into the benefits of moat ownership? My uncle sells and installs moat systems, ranging from simple water bodies, to alligator and shark filled specials insured to keep the black knight at bay. I could definitely hook you up with him if you'd like. Not only practical and convenient, the presence of a moat can add significantly to the value of your home.
    is that racists... why you gotta be holding a brotha night down, he cant be helpin it he had to slang cane to get that horse... why you gotts to be troublin me, you dont be feelin me yo

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Buy a big ass safe bro... that's what I did. I have like 4 assault rifles, 3 hand guns, 2 shotguns, and to high powered rifles... I bought a 600 lbs safe, that was the end of the discussion.. BTW your the one with the nuts not her..

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    whats the big deal its just a gun...i assume you will be owning a pistol or sawdoff 12-12 gage for protection ???

Thread Information