Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

Ou sont les gyms d'antan?

One of the Gold's Gyms where I work-out even has a NO TANK-TOP POLICY. (It's "not THAT kind of gym." they say.) Also: no powerlifting, no chalk, no "loud noises", no "squatting boots" (?), no moving benches around, etc.

They also got rid of the dumbells heavier than 90 lbs., all but one of the squatting racks, and filled the place with stair-climbers, treadmills, televisions, etc.

Old-time independent gyms, which were usually owned by an ex-bodybuilder and catered to serious lifter, have all but disappeared in my area. Serious lifters used to be able to pay thirty bucks a month and would lift six times a week. Modern corporate gyms want members who will pay seventy dollars per month and only go three times per week, max., and then only use the cardio equipment.

The manager told me that they're "making Gold's safe for regular people and families." Those people already have the rest of the damned country. Did they need Gold's Gym too?

-T

jdspinna is offline Associate Member
    I heard Bally's got rid of dumbells over 100lbs a few years ago to become more family friendly. All of these gyms are becoming rediculous.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Thats bullshit

colossus1 is offline Member
    I work out at a 24 hour fitness sport that doesnt give a sh*t what you do. Powerlifting, powder, grunting, dumbells up to 200 i believe..............

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    i wouldnt be suprised if down the line some years, the government is going to outlaw dumbells over 100 pnds without a bodybuilders license. oops am i hijacking

peyton18 is offline Junior Member
    i went there tonight and had a hell of a workout....i puked for the first time in a very long time...the manager didnt say anything just looked at me in complete disgust as i hung my head over the trash can...i just looked at her and winked and went back to lifting...it was such a good feeling

VENICE BEACH is offline New Member
    If it helps at all I beat Gold's Gym outta money; just walked on my contract.

Also if anyone on here thinks Gold's is a bodybuilding gym they are sadly mistaken. Been through several changes of ownership in the past coupla years. I believe the current owner (corporate) is a Texas real estate company. Any resemblance to the golden age "Pumping Iron" Gold's is purely coincidental.

Souless like most of corporate America.

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Sorry Guy but I'm gonna have ask what kind of grunt was it. I have no probs with peep grunting. This guy in my gym well when he grunt he sounds like a squeling pig being slaughtered with it's mouth muffled. Now thats just wrong. The guy is not even lifting just a bit of cardio.

badger is offline New Member
    If you think Golds is a pussy gym .... don't go to Bally's. They have their boney staff of trainers that get fat girls to skip (and I mean litterally) around the parameter the gym and in the walkways. Then if you want to chill in the jacuzzi you will have to do it with old men that hop in wearing their underwear. lap swimming ? forget it , the elephant seals are in the pool everyday doing the hokie pokie classes. The eight by eight free weight area is the only safe haven.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    If you think Golds is a pussy gym .... don't go to Bally's. They have their boney staff of trainers that get fat girls to skip (and I mean litterally) around the parameter the gym and in the walkways. Then if you want to chill in the jacuzzi you will have to do it with old men that hop in wearing their underwear. lap swimming ? forget it , the elephant seals are in the pool everyday doing the hokie pokie classes. The eight by eight free weight area is the only safe haven.
    How crappy. Golds of old is no more. I hope EP Fitness doesn't go this route. Some of the trainers there are pretty big dudes. Like this one dude Brian. Kid is like 245 on a six foot frame. He's probably 3-4 years younger than me.
    Any way, we still have DB's up to like 120 or so. I'm not worried, I'm still struggling with 90's for 6 on flat bench. Soon as my shoulder has recoverd, I'll come up on those 120's pretty quick.
    We only have one power rack and two of those funky A frame ones as seen in "Pumping Iron". Then we have three psuedo-smith machines.
    I'm still allowed to do my clean and presses and my barbell walking. Although some people get scared when I do it with 185. They'd probably ask me to rack it post haste if I tried it with 225. I've seen guys step out of the rack with 405 and get 8 reps to watch form in the mirror, but it's not often.
    I also think it's ridiculous that they have no mirrors in front of the free racks. You can't watch form. You have to put a bench behind you to know you are going low enough. This is hard on my spine when I squat 315.
    Sorry.

Luminaire is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimo
    what the hell has happened to golds???

seriously...once a spot for great bodybuilders turned into nothing more then a commercial product to follow the "trend" of fitness....ITS BOGUS!!!!

time to find yourself a nice hole in the wall gym where they accept people that want to bodybuild not be fat and lazy.

completely agree with you my friend, thats really upsettign to hear man, im someone who grunts even when im on the treadmill lol, madd weird, even at work when i have to pick up a heavy stack of files ill grunt accidentally... that would piss me off to the extreme id shove that contract up that 150 pound mans ass and peace out that bitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information