Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Twin is offline Associate Member

Golds gym turning into planet fitneas

Heres a pic that i took of the rules aT my golds gym

I was doing incline flies

One of there staff told me to take it ez when dropping dumbbells from incline bench... I go to failure... And no enery to place em on my knees when im fatigued at the bottom.

But i cant let them get to me. I will continue to drop weights when its needed...

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    thats pretty much standard gym rules.
    Most people dont understand how much the equipment cost. 1 90lb dumbbell is a few hundred dollars. So when people drop them and they get loose or bent they are expensive to keep replacing.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I agree with all of them except the second one. First one needs to have a bit of freedom, some people throw them around like fvcktards.

2nd one is is vague. I guess they have to have some rule. There is a limit on really what is reasonable. Just depends on what they think is except able and how they enforce it.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Those have been golds rules for a long time now.

Like gixxer said those things aren't cheap and it pisses me off when I go to grab a dumbell and it's bent or the weight is spinning or wobbling everytime I press. Dropping your arms down and then dropping the weights from 8-12" off the ground is one thing but there's no need to drop them from chest height unless to prevent injury.

My old gym allowed us to drop weights

But the dumbbells were diff. I had old iron dumbbells at my old gym

http://www.wrightexercise.com/images...20dumbbell.jpg

Only reason i changed gyms is because the leg extension machine was broken and tricep pull down cable was rusted. Same with leg curl machine

But now i regret it.

Next year im going back to my old gym.

those are the cheapest dumbbells they make. They are for home use and now $1.00 a pound. Most of my customers wont even buy them for their homes.

I c... Whats wrong with them compares to the other dumbbells likr this one

The iron type seems stronger

From dropping these type, the screws may loosen and seem to be dangerous like if im doing flat bench and a screw comes off down on my face.
    Last edited by Twin; 07-23-2011 at 11:00 AM.

the other ones are made of cast iron. They crack or just snap. They are very weak structurally. The other ones may loosen with time. But if you notice its loose you can tighten it. Plus the bolt is extremely long. It would be hard for it to fall out. They are also made of steel and not cast. Also they rust less, less prone to chipping

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    the weights at my gym are all one piece and the mats are thick...i prefer common sense than signs and rules...punish the wrong not the ALL

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    errr, no chalk? i'd consider that a big injury risk, something slipping outa someone's hand and on to someone else. havent these gyms ever heard of mess free liquid chalk?! put afew dispensers up at the free weights area, one squirt does a full session

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    the other ones are made of cast iron. They crack or just snap. They are very weak structurally. The other ones may loosen with time. But if you notice its loose you can tighten it. Plus the bolt is extremely long. It would be hard for it to fall out. They are also made of steel and not cast. Also they rust less, less prone to chipping
    Ah i see. Thanks for the info.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Does rule number 2 apply to farting ?

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    Rule number 2 is kinda messed up. It a miracle that they do allow to breathe

I'm not from states , but I think there should be more gyms like Metroflex.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Golds doesn't kick you out if you make noise while working out. If you slam the shit out of weights and if you are screaming while curling a 20lb flat bar they will say something. If you are squatting 2 plates or more nobody will say anything unless you are being unrealistic with your noise making. It should be like this. Too many people want attention

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Yeah they only have that rule in there to use it against te people who get out of hand. Otherwise they couldn't even say anything to the guy screaming on every 20lb curl he does or the guy that presses 30lb db and throws them down like he did something.

For the person who said you prefer common sense over rules you need to realise that common sense is not very common.

here are old videos at my old gym. im a decent grunter.. with the music blasted, u still can hear me.. (old gym, music blasted)

esp since golds has there music playing very low.

this is an old video at my old gym afew months ago. only 25 lb front raises. was getting a form check...

they havent said nothing about my grunting at golds, so far im good. i guess im not grunting loud enough. so im good on the noise part... just dropping the weights, im going to have to get used to.. i usually drop them a most, 2 feet from the ground on only some exercises.... but still makes a loud bang noise on the ground.
    Last edited by Twin; 07-23-2011 at 03:50 PM.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Yeah they only have that rule in there to use it against te people who get out of hand. Otherwise they couldn't even say anything to the guy screaming on every 20lb curl he does or the guy that presses 30lb db and throws them down like he did something.

For the person who said you prefer common sense over rules you need to realise that common sense is not very common.
    i know i just hate signs like those

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin View Post
    here are old videos at my old gym. im a decent grunter.. with the music blasted, u still can hear me.. (old gym, music blasted)

this is an old video at my old gym afew months ago. only 25 lb front raises. was getting a form check...

they havent said nothing about my grunting at golds, so far im good. i guess im not grunting loud enough. so im good on the noise part... just dropping the weights, im going to have to get used to.. i usually drop them a most, 2 feet from the ground on only some exercises.... but still makes a loud bang noise on the ground.
    Nice pec bumps but you forgot the "POW BANG BANG POW"
    Those grunts aren't that bad. You have to realize when someone is half way down in a heavy squat and all of a sudden there's a loud ass bang behind them it can cause serious injuries at most, at least it messes up their set.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin View Post

Why are you filming front raises of all exercises? Squats, Deads, even bench, I can see. Front raises? Smdh!!

ShadowWarrior646 is offline New Member
    grunting and growling like a rabid gorilla is distracting, not to mention annoying as hell to other people. Of course some groaning is to be expected with heavy lifting, but most adults should understand where that line is drawn. I'm not the most impressive body in the gym and if I can lift my own body weight with barely a peep, you big buff, ripped dudes certainly should be able to as well. No need to strut like you're king bad ass grunting and groaning. Chill out and have some courtesy for other people. If I wanted to hear that crap, I'd go to the zoo.
    What irritates me even more is someone getting a bench sweaty and simply walking away. CLEAN UP YOUR MESS, nobody wants to sit/lie down in your sweat.

I also beleive it's possible to work yourself to fatigue/exhaustion without slamming weight plates or dropping dumbells. If it's too heavy for you, either don't mess with it or ask someone to help. If you really MUST drop them, buy your own and then you can abuse your equipment however you'd like. But I'm sure after paying for them, you'll udnerstand why nobody wants their equipment abused.
    I've had people break my personally owned weights by slamming them down, and I wasn't happy about it. They're not cheap.

If you're worried about your grip, buy some weight lifting gloves. Harbinger makes some pretty decent ones. Most people don't like having clouds of chalk to breath in. Don't like it? Buy your own equipment and work out at home. You're using equipment that isn't yours in an establishment you don't own. Either follow the rules or get out.

How would you like someone to come in your house being loud, plopping down on your furniture, dropping dishes carelessly etc? I'll bet you'd likely be a little pissed.

If I ever own a gym, you can bet I'll have rules like this, and there won't be any warning. Drop/slam my weights, grunt and groan like an idiot, leave benches sweaty, don't turn things off you can kiss your membership goodbye on the first offense, no money back. Common sense may not be very common, but you can at least have respect for other people and their property.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Why are you filming front raises of all exercises? Squats, Deads, even bench, I can see. Front raises? Smdh!!
    at the time, i was curious on how my form was looking. i wasnt sure if i was swinging to much. i wanted other opinions.

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    I saw this video series of some amatuers preparing for USA's on flex. There is this guy Tamel el guyindy(not sure if I wrote it correctly) , but he screams really loud in the vids and is the loudest guy in the whole gym. He also trains at golds gym in venice beach and seem like everyone doesn't have problem with his screaming.
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 07-24-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior646 View Post
    grunting and growling like a rabid gorilla is distracting, not to mention annoying as hell to other people. Of course some groaning is to be expected with heavy lifting, but most adults should understand where that line is drawn. I'm not the most impressive body in the gym and if I can lift my own body weight with barely a peep, you big buff, ripped dudes certainly should be able to as well. No need to strut like you're king bad ass grunting and groaning. Chill out and have some courtesy for other people. If I wanted to hear that crap, I'd go to the zoo.
    What irritates me even more is someone getting a bench sweaty and simply walking away. CLEAN UP YOUR MESS, nobody wants to sit/lie down in your sweat.

I also beleive it's possible to work yourself to fatigue/exhaustion without slamming weight plates or dropping dumbells. If it's too heavy for you, either don't mess with it or ask someone to help. If you really MUST drop them, buy your own and then you can abuse your equipment however you'd like. But I'm sure after paying for them, you'll udnerstand why nobody wants their equipment abused.
    I've had people break my personally owned weights by slamming them down, and I wasn't happy about it. They're not cheap.

If you're worried about your grip, buy some weight lifting gloves. Harbinger makes some pretty decent ones. Most people don't like having clouds of chalk to breath in. Don't like it? Buy your own equipment and work out at home. You're using equipment that isn't yours in an establishment you don't own. Either follow the rules or get out.

How would you like someone to come in your house being loud, plopping down on your furniture, dropping dishes carelessly etc? I'll bet you'd likely be a little pissed.

If I ever own a gym, you can bet I'll have rules like this, and there won't be any warning. Drop/slam my weights, grunt and groan like an idiot, leave benches sweaty, don't turn things off you can kiss your membership goodbye on the first offense, no money back. Common sense may not be very common, but you can at least have respect for other people and their property.
    Excellent post, well said!

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Try lifting 2 to 4 times your bodyweight.

Me...I'm one of the most quiet lifters I know. But, personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass who makes what noise.

I trained last year with a record-holding lifter. He made more noise than an 18-wheeler, and it was awesome lol.

I'll never get how people get 'distracted' in the gym. I guess the people who get 'distracted' by noises are the same people who get 'distracted' by chicks in tight workout gear.

I don't.

I go. I lift heavy shit. I go home.

When I open my studio, hopefully before the end of this year, I will have tons of rules. For sure, 3 from the list in the pic will be fixtures.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i get geeked up for a few sets and definitely let out a few lil yelps. i hate it when ppl drop weights though for reasons already mentioned, dont like them getting bent or damaged.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Know what irrates me more than those rules - the idiots that dont follow 3 or 4of them on that list. Those rules are posted in the majority of the gyms i have ever been to. How strictly they are all enforced usally depends on the owner/mangement and the emphasis on which rules are more strictly enforced is often dependant upon the demographic using the gym. I could give a fvck if u yell - im wearing my ipod blaring - i cant hear shit most of the time. I will say this tho - the fvckers that dont re rack their weights and ones that leave their greasy ass sweat on the machines or have no basic gym etiquitte whatsoever sometimes make me wanna bash them in the head with a 25 lb plate. If I owned a gym - bet you ass id have rules that would be followed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Know what irrates me more than those rules - the idiots that dont follow 3 or 4of them on that list. Those rules are posted in the majority of the gyms i have ever been to. How strictly they are all enforced usally depends on the owner/mangement and the emphasis on which rules are more strictly enforced is often dependant upon the demographic using the gym. I could give a fvck if u yell - im wearing my ipod blaring - i cant hear shit most of the time. I will say this tho - the fvckers that dont re rack their weights and ones that leave their greasy ass sweat on the machines or have no basic gym etiquitte whatsoever sometimes make me wanna bash them in the head with a 25lb plate. If I owned a gym - bet you ass id have rules that would be followed.
    pvssy.!! I'd use a 45

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Know what irrates me more than those rules - the idiots that dont follow 3 or 4of them on that list. Those rules are posted in the majority of the gyms i have ever been to. How strictly they are all enforced usally depends on the owner/mangement and the emphasis on which rules are more strictly enforced is often dependant upon the demographic using the gym. I could give a fvck if u yell - im wearing my ipod blaring - i cant hear shit most of the time. I will say this tho - the fvckers that dont re rack their weights and ones that leave their greasy ass sweat on the machines or have no basic gym etiquitte whatsoever sometimes make me wanna bash them in the head with a 25 lb plate. If I owned a gym - bet you ass id have rules that would be followed.
    Same here.....

I don't workout at gyms much but when I do - I HATE when people don't clean off the machines and benches after using them. I was waiting for a machine once and the guy just got up and walked off..... I sat there waiting for him to come back with a towel to clean it off and he just walked right outa the gym! They're the same people that piss on the toilet seat in the locker room.....

Yelling and banging weights doesn't bother me at all.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    pvssy.!! I'd use a 45
    They make those ?

Blog Entries

well said but unfortunately ppl just will be ppl and not give a toss. ive worked afew customer facing roles and gym goers were by far the most ignorant, once they sign a membership they reckon they own the fvckn place and are indispensable!!

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    I guess the people who get 'distracted' by noises are the same people who get 'distracted' by chicks in tight workout gear.
    Why u gotta call me out like that Nark? lmao

ShadowWarrior646 is offline New Member
    I guess the people who get 'distracted' by noises are the same people who get 'distracted' by chicks in tight workout gear.
    I do. Can't help it, especially if she's a brunette working glutes. If I worked out when the new owner was around I'd never be able to concentrate. OMG she's got a body to die for. Probably the hardest female body I've ever seen with my own eyes.

The gym I go to used to be owned by a fairly well-known college-level sports trainer he's worked with FSU, FAMU, and some detroit teams for powerlifters and football players. One of the first things he said to me was, "drop my weights, rather they break or not, if I catch you doing it you're gone. Make excessive noise, you'll get a warning. Keep doing it, you're gone. I'm a power-lifter and I understand that lifting heavy does often come with grunting, but don't get out of hand. I tell this to everyone who joins."

I've worked out with him and you'd barely know he was there.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    here is what I do and u guys bitch too much about things being right. U go in the gym say hi to the kid/girl at reception walk in put ur head phone on...Workout till u r done your workout. No one will talk to you after you get use to of seeing you doing it cpl of times.....
    I am not picking on anybody so dont take me wrong. I cant workout cause of this rule or that rule is just bullshit.70% of ppl who drop the weights are attention whores they drop it and watch if someone is paying attention. thats y the rules are made. I dont lift even twice of my body weight like NARK here but I dont grunt go in do your workout get out. I dont shit where I eat.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    Try lifting 2 to 4 times your bodyweight.

Me...I'm one of the most quiet lifters I know. But, personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass who makes what noise.

I trained last year with a record-holding lifter. He made more noise than an 18-wheeler, and it was awesome lol.

I'll never get how people get 'distracted' in the gym. I guess the people who get 'distracted' by noises are the same people who get 'distracted' by chicks in tight workout gear.

I don't.

I go. I lift heavy shit. I go home.

When I open my studio, hopefully before the end of this year, I will have tons of rules. For sure, 3 from the list in the pic will be fixtures.
    i can't say that i don't get distracted by a hot female in some tights!!!! just can't help myself!

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I use chalk twice a week on my maximal effort days and have never seen these "clouds" you speak of.

Blog Entries

hmmm, missed that 1st time around. gloves are shit mate, sorry, they make for a wider grip and when going all out that aint optimal. i aid before and i'll say it again LIQUID CHALK!!!!!!! no mess and better than powder, one squirt does the whole session

PitMaster is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    hmmm, missed that 1st time around. gloves are shit mate, sorry, they make for a wider grip and when going all out that aint optimal. i aid before and i'll say it again LIQUID CHALK!!!!!!! no mess and better than powder, one squirt does the whole session
    thx. for the heads up

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I don't see anything wrong with that list.
    It's really just a question of how they go about enforcing the rules (i.e. a polite verbal reminder vs a ****ing lunk alarm siren) and how strict they are.

I lift at a Golds and haven't had any issues. If you treat the employess and other members with respect, you get the same in return.

If you're a douche bag and slam weights and grunt or scream loudly, then obviously people will get annoyed.

And you're bitching at not being able to drop weights and abuse equipment, yet you mention that the reason you left your old gym is because all their shit was broken...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post

And you're bitching at not being able to drop weights and abuse equipment, yet you mention that the reason you left your old gym is because all their shit was broken...wow.
    theres a difference between slamming the weights on the machines and free weights.

with machines, there is no reason to do that. the slow negativity is fine. but with free weights. if i do chest flies to failure. it strains my joints to not drop the weights when i go heavy to failure and am stuck at the bottom.
    Last edited by Twin; 07-29-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information