Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My ER visit Please read

DAAS is offline Senior Member

My ER visit Please read

So a few days ago I got home from work and ate a (dont judge) cup noodle. Woke up the next morning and my stomach was killing me. The food I ate just sat in my stomach all night and it felt very heavy and was getting increasingly painful. My stomach looked very bloated like I was prego.

I went about 4 hours after waking up before I started puking. My stomach still felt very heavy. I researched the issue and was terrified to find out about a condition known as Diabetic Gastroparesis. Where the stomach looses its ability to empty its contents.

At this point I was having sever dry heaves. like my body really wanted to get the food out but was having no success. The heaviness had turned to EXTREAME pain and my dry heaves sounded more like I was screaming than trying to throw up. My blood sugar was dropping and I couldn't eat any sugar. Long story short I rushed to the ER.

My experience can be summed up shortly. They gave me a IV drip, anti-nausea and morphine through the IV. The morphine was more intense than I can remember from past ER visits. I felt very hot and like my bones filled with lead. I did not like this one bit. They gave me a CT scan and ran blood test to check my pancreas enzymes as the doctor suspected it was actually an inflamed or ruptured pancreas.

Here is where I am confused. I ended up staying 2 days for observation. The bloating went down and I had a small bowel movement the next day. The nausea and pain went away as well. The blood test came back with my enzymes normal and the scan didn't reveal anything wrong. Food poisoning was ruled out because it wasn't typical symptoms. No extreme diarrhea. And one does not typically get food poisoning from cup noodle. Also Diabetic Gastroparesis was ruled out because my A1C was great and I havent been in poor control of my diabetes nor had it for long enough. (Only 6 years.) Essentially they released me with no cause or instructions

Now the next day after being released food is still seeming to sit in my stomach. Its not as painful and I have no nausea, and it seems to be draining but at a slow rate. I am almost left now to figure out what to do next.

My thoughts of what caused this are as follows..

1. My allergies have caused a large amount of mucus to drain into my stomach over the past week and it finally built up enough to some how clog my stomach? I find this unlikely because that would probably have to be a large amount and having only added a fraction each day I think my stomach can handle it.

2. I had taken 600mg of ibuprofen 1-2 times a day for the 4 days prior to this happening. I know this stuff is terrible for your stomach and maybe it caused some short of chemical unbalance or trauma to it. I find this also unlikely because that isnt that much ibuprofen and the doctor agreed when I mentioned it. He also said my symptoms didn't clue to this.

3. I am experiencing Gastroparesis for a random unknown reason.

4. High sodium caused the water from my stomach to be pulled out. (I rule this out because I drink a lot of water and always 2 glasses when I eat a cup noodle.)

Anyways I need to unclog my system but don't know how. I've tried coffee and fiber drink supplement. My dad said perhaps a pro-biotic and I was thinking of doing a juice cleanse. Any ideas as to what caused this? what I can do to unclog a stomach? and if it is Gastroparesis (no know cure) how should I kill myself?

ALSO I am very disappointed in a hospitals ability to manage your blood sugars. They did plenty of test to find my number but seemed not have a care in the world about fixing it. THey take your own vials away so you dont OD and die under their care, but apon learning my current levels were 250 ( from the nausea meds) it took 6 request and almost 3 hours to get an injection of humalog. And all other request to balance my levels were treated with very low priority. In fact the only sleep I got at the ER was from my sugars being to high and me essentially passing out from the levels. IDIOTS!! I raised a little hell and they didn't seem to care anymore.
    Last edited by DAAS; 04-21-2014 at 09:03 AM.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Eat another cup of soup and see if it happens AGAIN.

Just kidding. I hope you get feeling better and figure it out. I have no ideas for you

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    damn, daas - sounds like a total nightmare. I agree that the ER seems more concerned with keeping you from dying (and generating huge bills) than finding out what is actually wrong with you. I hope you feel better.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    no clue what happened to ya. what does your normal diet look like?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    who knows mate?

I went to the hospital recently, thinking I had blockage in my intestines, and ended up with a ruptured appendix.

if you figure this thing out, let us know.

My diet is pretty good. I've been eating whole grain pastas lately, and lots of avacadoes. The only thing in my diet right now that I question is C4 preworkout. Which I am going to stop taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    no clue what happened to ya. what does your normal diet look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    who knows mate?

I went to the hospital recently, thinking I had blockage in my intestines, and ended up with a ruptured appendix.

if you figure this thing out, let us know.
    Times, you think its to soon to try a probiotic?

Quote Originally Posted by DontTaseMeBro View Post
    damn, daas - sounds like a total nightmare. I agree that the ER seems more concerned with keeping you from dying (and generating huge bills) than finding out what is actually wrong with you. I hope you feel better.
    The insulin thing is what annoyed me. Thier like " your blood suagr is 190.."

Ummmm okay... can we fix that please????

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Eat another cup of soup and see if it happens AGAIN.

Just kidding. I hope you get feeling better and figure it out. I have no ideas for you
    I actually will try this once I feel like ive figured this out as a test.

Quote Originally Posted by DAAS View Post
    Times, you think its to soon to try a probiotic?
    I recently had a severe lung infection. was told that the bacterial strain was very resistant to antibiotics. I was massively infused with antibiotics through an IV two days in a row, then given a few weeks supply of oral antibiotics. After, I started a probiotic course, since antibiotics typically impact intestinal flora in a negative way.

Since you have had gastro intestinal issues, then maybe a probiotic could help? Worst case scenario is that it doesn't help and you waste maybe $20. But it won't hurt you either.

You may receive a benefit by trying. Personally, I'd give it a go.

let me know what you think?

---Roman

I was just concerned with increasing the bacteria in my stomach 3 fold and it not making it to my intestine, causing issues. Im not very savvy with the digestive system functions
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I recently had a severe lung infection. was told that the bacterial strain was very resistant to antibiotics. I was massively infused with antibiotics through an IV two days in a row, then given a few weeks supply of oral antibiotics. After, I started a probiotic course, since antibiotics typically impact intestinal flora in a negative way.

Since you have had gastro intestinal issues, then maybe a probiotic could help? Worst case scenario is that it doesn't help and you waste maybe $20. But it won't hurt you either.

You may receive a benefit by trying. Personally, I'd give it a go.

let me know what you think?

---Roman

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    A bottle of whiskey might help
    RaginCajun and bikeral like this.

That may increase vomiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    A bottle of whiskey might help

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    That may increase vomiting.
    That depends on how manly you are. Drink up, son.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Venom is offline Productive Member
    Celiac disease?

I was just concerned with increasing the bacteria in my stomach 3 fold and it not making it to my intestine, causing issues. Im not very savvy with the digestive system functions
    contrary to popular belief, bacteria in the gut is usually a good thing. in fact, your life depends on it.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    A real man would have just went to the gym and worked his way through it!
    Just kidding hope you are feeling better you big sissy

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Do you have any signs of neuropathy? Signs would be things like heartburn, reduced feeling in your toes or feet, very dry feet, slower reflexes (which your doc might have tested), orthostatic hypotension (when you get light headed when you stand up quickly), erectile dysfunction?

May I ask what your A1C was? I am just curious what doctors think a great a1C is for someone with type 2 these days.

My A1C was 6.8. Which is pretty good for someone with Type 1 I have only been diabetic for 6 years no neuropathy
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    Do you have any signs of neuropathy? Signs would be things like heartburn, reduced feeling in your toes or feet, very dry feet, slower reflexes (which your doc might have tested), orthostatic hypotension (when you get light headed when you stand up quickly), erectile dysfunction?

May I ask what your A1C was? I am just curious what doctors think a great a1C is for someone with type 2 these days.

My A1C was 6.8. Which is pretty good for someone with Type 1 I have only been diabetic for 6 years no neuropathy
    I'm glad you have no neuropathies, but I'm amazed docs in the US thinks that represents blood glucose under control. Although I know some people have much higher levels, that much glucose is working away at all the systems of your body.

I know you weren't asking for general advice on diabetes, but I can't keep myself from mentioning a better way to manage than what you are currently being advised, presuming you are on a forum like this because you are interested in long term health.

Check out Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution book. He's a physician in NY with Type 1 who was diagnosed at age 12, and is practicing and well today, at age 80 (which alone is a very impressive lifespan for someone with diabetes). He keeps his own blood glucose in normal ranges, along with many of his patients. He gets much better results than docs who think 6.8 is well-controlled.

I hope you figure out what the problem was with the ER visit, and that it isn't gastroparesis (which, by the way, might be reversible if you catch in early days and reduce your bg). Good luck.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I can say that not controlling your blood sugar is BS on their part. Pain and sugar control should have been, period! You will get a survey in the mail and slam them. Its how they get paid, in part, from the state and federal level. The person that took your BS was a tech I bet but that should have gone right to the nurse and they should have been treating your BS before every meal and at bedtime. Some nurses and hospitals are just shitty. Next time call the nurse manager or ask to speak with the nurse house supervisor. That will get them moving.

As to your S/S of why you went in. I have no idea. Twisted bowl, pyloric sphincter stenosis? Maybe a doc will jump in and help you out.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTahl View Post
    I can say that not controlling your blood sugar is BS on their part. Pain and sugar control should have been, period! You will get a survey in the mail and slam them. Its how they get paid, in part, from the state and federal level. The person that took your BS was a tech I bet but that should have gone right to the nurse and they should have been treating your BS before every meal and at bedtime. Some nurses and hospitals are just shitty. Next time call the nurse manager or ask to speak with the nurse house supervisor. That will get them moving.

As to your S/S of why you went in. I have no idea. Twisted bowl, pyloric sphincter stenosis? Maybe a doc will jump in and help you out.
    Other than the first BS, The other BS was blood sugar not bull shite

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    they are quite sure it's not just a gastric ulcer?

I've read that ulcers come from stress and anxiety over long periods of time. I don't really experience those to any significant level. He asked if I had any history of ulcers but I haven't. Lately I've been in good health except for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    they are quite sure it's not just a gastric ulcer?

Considering a person without diabetes has an A1C of 5.4 and the chart goes all the way to 12, id say 6.8 is pretty good. Besides its only a "record" of the past 3 or so months. Although I would certainly like it to be better, i'm not exactly upset about it. I'll admit it has been better but with my current income situation eating properly isn't always a feasible option. Keeping blood glucose at 100mg/dL average will be no easy task until constant monitoring technology becomes more economic. One can only test their levels so many times a day before it becomes not only troublesome, but expensive. Are you a diabetic?
    I'm glad you have no neuropathies, but I'm amazed docs in the US thinks that represents blood glucose under control. Although I know some people have much higher levels, that much glucose is working away at all the systems of your body.

I know you weren't asking for general advice on diabetes, but I can't keep myself from mentioning a better way to manage than what you are currently being advised, presuming you are on a forum like this because you are interested in long term health.

Check out Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution book. He's a physician in NY with Type 1 who was diagnosed at age 12, and is practicing and well today, at age 80 (which alone is a very impressive lifespan for someone with diabetes). He keeps his own blood glucose in normal ranges, along with many of his patients. He gets much better results than docs who think 6.8 is well-controlled.

I hope you figure out what the problem was with the ER visit, and that it isn't gastroparesis (which, by the way, might be reversible if you catch in early days and reduce your bg). Good luck.
    Last edited by DAAS; 04-21-2014 at 10:18 PM.

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    H pylori or dumping syndrome

I'll look more into H pylori. Looks like anti-biotic is a treatment?

I have a friend who's stomach did that, looked like she was pregnant all in one day but wasnt obviously and it was kidney related.

-H. Pylori or any other infections, or conversely a depletion of "good" bacteria"
    -Gastroparesis (stomach not working - major fullness)
    -liver problems (light-colored stools is not good if consistent)

I would give probiotics a try 1st thing. GNC has one called the enzymic whole body cleanse but there are several out there. Once they are opened make sure you keep them refrigerated.

antibiotics are if it's an infection.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Man, I feel for you. I've been in kind of the same boat these last few weeks but my symptoms line up with everything from GERD to esophageal cancer. Went to ER with chest pain, they could only decide my situation wasn't immediately life threatening and sent me on my way. My doctor has tried a few things over the last several weeks that hasn't done any good and to me seems to be making gerd less and less likely. She has me scheduled for an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to take a look and get biopsies if need be. I've got my fingers crossed hoping its a hiatal hernia or esophageal spasms but my mind is focusing solely on the possibility of cancer which unfortunately usually has a prognosis of less than a year. So I'll make you a deal...I'll hope it's not gastroparesis for you if you hope it's not cancer for me. Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    Man, I feel for you. I've been in kind of the same boat these last few weeks but my symptoms line up with everything from GERD to esophageal cancer. Went to ER with chest pain, they could only decide my situation wasn't immediately life threatening and sent me on my way. My doctor has tried a few things over the last several weeks that hasn't done any good and to me seems to be making gerd less and less likely. She has me scheduled for an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to take a look and get biopsies if need be. I've got my fingers crossed hoping its a hiatal hernia or esophageal spasms but my mind is focusing solely on the possibility of cancer which unfortunately usually has a prognosis of less than a year. So I'll make you a deal...I'll hope it's not gastroparesis for you if you hope it's not cancer for me. Deal?
    Yeah we all hope not. Man to much bad stuff going around. I still blame it on Fukashima radiation. Seriously though who knows?

Have you tried probiotics as well? I know it helped me a while back. I had the good ole endoscopy about a year ago but nothing was found.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    what flavor was your cup noodles? super spicy?

i feel that common conditions occur commonly. gastric erosion/ulcer is probably my first consideration.
    h. pylori will give you chronic gastric problems, which you don't seem to have.

as for your diabetic control, i am with you. my lab quotes HBA1C of 4.5-6.4 as ideal, and 6.5-7.0 as optimal. 7.1-8.0 is sub-optimal, >8 is crap.

did they give you any follow-up appointments? if this is just a one off thing, you may choose to just leave it as that. but if it recurs, i would get a gastroscope done. (since you've already done everything else and drew a blank.

Considering a person without diabetes has an A1C of 5.4 and the chart goes all the way to 12, id say 6.8 is pretty good. Besides its only a "record" of the past 3 or so months. Although I would certainly like it to be better, i'm not exactly upset about it. I'll admit it has been better but with my current income situation eating properly isn't always a feasible option. Keeping blood glucose at 100mg/dL average will be no easy task until constant monitoring technology becomes more economic. One can only test their levels so many times a day before it becomes not only troublesome, but expensive. Are you a diabetic?
    I think there is some different thinking about diabetes in the US than elsewhere. An A1C of 5.4 is on the higher side of normal outside the US. I think most of the labs in europe I have used have a normal range of 4.0-6.0, but the anti aging doctors and endos that I have seen here and on the continent want people around 4.5, with 5.0 as the maximum, so I suspect that is closer to optimal, as opposed to US "normal". Bernstein is unusual in the US in that he aims for bg in the 75-85 range - he thinks diabetics need to maintain normal blood glucose levels, not "normal for diabetics" on an inflated scale. I imagine that for so many patients in the US, the diet is so bad, and obesity is so rampant that 100 represents an improvement that is potentially attainable for people.

No, I am not a diabetic. My mother was, however. I watched her die with many body systems failing due to diabetes and so I do care about the advice given about health care for diabetics. I have a background in molecular biology and read medical texts, and I have read extensively on this subject, and as far as I can tell, the advice for all the carbs it is okay to eat, and the high blood glucose that is acceptable worries me for the health of the diabetics in the US.

But I understand the pressures of the great expense of eating well being a big impediment. I think the aim of testing is to eventually get the patient to a point where they know their own increase of bg after eating certain foods, and how their short acting insulin dose effects the bg, so that testing gets less frequent as time goes on. But yeah, everything is harder on a tight budget for sure, diet most of all.

trikydik is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    gastroparesis is often, but not always caused by diabetes. yours could be idopathic which simply means you have this, but they don't know why! It could be that the vagus nerve was / is inflamed and is causing the your bowel not to empty your stomach very quickly. Let me ask a question.... you don't have any temors in your hands not related to weight loss do you?

I bought a 500 billion culture probiotic from whole foods. its a 5 day cycle then ill get on a daily. Do you know what her kidney issue was? I have one kidney so perhaps it may be stress related. although i get my kidney function tested as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I have a friend who's stomach did that, looked like she was pregnant all in one day but wasnt obviously and it was kidney related.

-H. Pylori or any other infections, or conversely a depletion of "good" bacteria"
    -Gastroparesis (stomach not working - major fullness)
    -liver problems (light-colored stools is not good if consistent)

I would give probiotics a try 1st thing. GNC has one called the enzymic whole body cleanse but there are several out there. Once they are opened make sure you keep them refrigerated.

antibiotics are if it's an infection.
    Last edited by DAAS; 04-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.

It was a chicken flavor and I put a little bit of hot sauce in it. If anything it put what was already going on over the top. I dont see it as a cause, as this has happened once before just not as serious. I dont remember the situation surrounding my last time.

And they told me to follow up with my doctor but I put my health in my own hands. Especially since I am seeing a doctor through a state program and they dont seem to be as on top of things.

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    what flavor was your cup noodles? super spicy?

i feel that common conditions occur commonly. gastric erosion/ulcer is probably my first consideration.
    h. pylori will give you chronic gastric problems, which you don't seem to have.

as for your diabetic control, i am with you. my lab quotes HBA1C of 4.5-6.4 as ideal, and 6.5-7.0 as optimal. 7.1-8.0 is sub-optimal, >8 is crap.

did they give you any follow-up appointments? if this is just a one off thing, you may choose to just leave it as that. but if it recurs, i would get a gastroscope done. (since you've already done everything else and drew a blank.

Quote Originally Posted by trikydik View Post
    gastroparesis is often, but not always caused by diabetes. yours could be idopathic which simply means you have this, but they don't know why! It could be that the vagus nerve was / is inflamed and is causing the your bowel not to empty your stomach very quickly. Let me ask a question.... you don't have any temors in your hands not related to weight loss do you?
    This seems to match my symptoms most. I have a good diet and have never had any other problems digestive wise. I do get some tremors but only when I ingest high amounts of caffeine. I think If I do a good cleanse, start a probiotic regimen and stop all BB supplement use, I can get a good handle and see if it continues. Hoping it never happens again.
    Last edited by DAAS; 04-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Perhaps they use a different scale system. Its literally a math conversion. 5.4 a1c equating to 100mg/dL blood glucose. When ever I have tested people who asked that did not have diabetes, they have always been exactly 100 or 102. 100mg/dL is a non diabetics blood glucose, unless they have been drinking and haven't eaten then it can be a little lower. I just watch a new video on a cancer medication curing type 1 diabetes in mice after 3 months of treatment. They are hoping for it to be approved in humans in 1 year. VERY EXCITED
    I think there is some different thinking about diabetes in the US than elsewhere. An A1C of 5.4 is on the higher side of normal outside the US. I think most of the labs in europe I have used have a normal range of 4.0-6.0, but the anti aging doctors and endos that I have seen here and on the continent want people around 4.5, with 5.0 as the maximum, so I suspect that is closer to optimal, as opposed to US "normal". Bernstein is unusual in the US in that he aims for bg in the 75-85 range - he thinks diabetics need to maintain normal blood glucose levels, not "normal for diabetics" on an inflated scale. I imagine that for so many patients in the US, the diet is so bad, and obesity is so rampant that 100 represents an improvement that is potentially attainable for people.

No, I am not a diabetic. My mother was, however. I watched her die with many body systems failing due to diabetes and so I do care about the advice given about health care for diabetics. I have a background in molecular biology and read medical texts, and I have read extensively on this subject, and as far as I can tell, the advice for all the carbs it is okay to eat, and the high blood glucose that is acceptable worries me for the health of the diabetics in the US.

But I understand the pressures of the great expense of eating well being a big impediment. I think the aim of testing is to eventually get the patient to a point where they know their own increase of bg after eating certain foods, and how their short acting insulin dose effects the bg, so that testing gets less frequent as time goes on. But yeah, everything is harder on a tight budget for sure, diet most of all.

No, it's not a different scale; I do understand the math conversion between the different units. The A1C is the same here, and I am quoting you bg values I have expressed in the US units (mg/dL) since I know you are familiar with that. I think it is just literally that in the US they're pretty lax about diabetes - maybe because of the huge increases in type 2, so many people have diabetes, and many can't/won't control their diets so perhaps there is no reason to push it so hard and they can just be happy people's bg is not 400.

My last fasting blood glucose was 75, just to give you an idea that not everyone has a fasting glucose of 100. But I am fairly strict with carbs because I have read the research about blood glucose. Just to give you an idea, 100 mg/dL, which in the UK is expressed as 5.6 mmol/L is not considered normal, it is considered prediabetes.

I had not heard of a cancer med being used in mice reversing type 1. That is exciting for sure. I just had a google - I saw some work out of Univ of Copenhagen with some cancer drugs for T cell lymphoma that was promising for stopping the destruction of beta cells. Maybe that was the study you mentioned? It is very interesting work indeed and something to look forward to.

Perhaps they use a different scale system. Its literally a math conversion. 5.4 a1c equating to 100mg/dL blood glucose. When ever I have tested people who asked that did not have diabetes, they have always been exactly 100 or 102. 100mg/dL is a non diabetics blood glucose, unless they have been drinking and haven't eaten then it can be a little lower. I just watch a new video on a cancer medication curing type 1 diabetes in mice after 3 months of treatment. They are hoping for it to be approved in humans in 1 year. VERY EXCITED

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Crohn's ?

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by DAAS
    Hi. Sorry to hear of your hospital experience. IMHO probiotics can't hurt you. Probiotics sre good bacteria. Whatever happened to you was bad bacteria. Hope u feel better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information