• 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 1 Post By DCI
  • 1 Post By Diego9595
  • 1 Post By Couchlock

Thread: Hifi and stereo list

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member

Hifi and stereo list

Other than messing with bodybuilding and cars.

I have a passion for music and stereos. I can't afford new stuff so I keep an eye for nearly new stuff and try and get a bargin.

This all started when I got a set of Bowers and Wilkins DM604S2 floorstanding speakers.

I used a nad 325BEE amp at first and just a basic sony cd changer for the source. They sounded great with that set up even with basic interconnects and speaker cable.

I was lucky enough to catch a steal of an offer with 500cds and an Arcam CD72 cd player which was crazy in the difference in sound quality.

Recently I purchased some high quality speaker cable and could hear the difference again which was great.

The next purchase was a more powerful amp and I was lucky enough to get a Yamaha AX-497 which was the best purchase and by far the best value too was insanely cheap for the amount I paid for it.

I have a BK Elec XLS 200 sub to connect up too.

So lets see your set ups.

DCI
    I must be the only weirdo hahaha

Diego9595 is offline New Member
    Hey man, i also like loud music. I've got 4X 12' Subwoofers in my car.
    Pushing over 1000W, i've also got nice speakers and subwoofers in my room around 800w.

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego9595 View Post
    Hey man, i also like loud music. I've got 4X 12' Subwoofers in my car.
    Pushing over 1000W, i've also got nice speakers and subwoofers in my room around 800w.
    This can go loud but I rarely turn it up over 1/3 or so.

I have a set up in my car thats more output but not for the house quality sound over loud imo

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post

This can go loud but I rarely turn it up over 1/3 or so.

I have a set up in my car thats more output but not for the house quality sound over loud imo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20161208_171613.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	166565

In the car,

All 4 doors dynamatted. JBL anniversary 6.5" 3way components in front, and also in rear.

Rockford fosgate p500x2 on the front stage, Rockford fosgate T400-2 on rear fill,

Soundqubed 3" coil, flat wound 8 layer HDC3 12 12" sub, 1500rms/3000 peak,
    Pushed by Rockford fosgate p1000x1

3 kinetic agm 3100 series dry cells 270 amp alternator, all wiring 1/0 ofc copper.

12guage speaker wire to all components, 8 gauge to sub
    DCI likes this.

DCI
    Thats a serious set up. I had 2 jl 12w6d4 in one of my cars.

But the new one I have the boot is too small to find 2 into so one and 2 rainbow speakers rainbow amp and a jl audio hd 750.1

Thats a serious set up. I had 2 jl 12w6d4 in one of my cars.

But the new one I have the boot is too small to find 2 into so one and 2 rainbow speakers rainbow amp and a jl audio hd 750.1
    W6 pretty badd ass.

Rainbow is awesome, got sum pics?

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    W6 pretty badd ass.

Rainbow is awesome, got sum pics?
    No real pics as its ghetto install still lol need to tidy it up I have a PG 13 band eq to fit too to the car also. The Rainbows are brilliant but my god they where pricy lol

I'll get pics up of my custom made jl audio 12w6d4 home enclouse when I get it done. Which could be years away.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    I Know a bloke who has to retighten everything in his car every 6 months or so because the bloody thing is louder then a acdc concert. Money that could be better spent on the engine i say

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    I Know a bloke who has to retighten everything in his car every 6 months or so because the bloody thing is louder then a acdc concert. Money that could be better spent on the engine i say
    Between my house and car speakers theres easily 20k spent. Which in ozzie dollars is about a billion million.
    Euroholic likes this.

Between my house and car speakers theres easily 20k spent. Which in ozzie dollars is about a billion million.

Jesus!!!! Think of the engine and break upgrades for that price. Ive never been one for audio but each his own.

Yea you guys are lucky to have a economic powerhouse such as germany keeping your currency high

GAINZ4DAYZ is offline Junior Member
    kind of on/off subject..

I'm really into music too, but i have an extended cab f-150 and I'm not sure how subs would sound since i would have to shove them under the back seats...

granted when I'm driving alone i could lift the back seats up and they wouldn't be smothered/muffled

any suggestions on a decent setup that won't break the bank? i have a clarion touch screen and upgraded my door speakers to pioneer 6x9s a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by GAINZ4DAYZ View Post
    kind of on/off subject..

I'm really into music too, but i have an extended cab f-150 and I'm not sure how subs would sound since i would have to shove them under the back seats...

granted when I'm driving alone i could lift the back seats up and they wouldn't be smothered/muffled

any suggestions on a decent setup that won't break the bank? i have a clarion touch screen and upgraded my door speakers to pioneer 6x9s a few years ago
    Its all about building a proper enclosure and adequate air space for subwoofer

Id say 2 nice beefy 8"
    DCI likes this.

Its all about building a proper enclosure and adequate air space for subwoofer

Id say 2 nice beefy 8"

Name:	ForumRunner_20161210_000832.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	166575

Name:	scr15-4x8asm.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	166576

DCI
    Jesus!!!! Think of the engine and break upgrades for that price. Ive never been one for audio but each his own.

Yea you guys are lucky to have a economic powerhouse such as germany keeping your currency high
    Getting insured with engine mods over here is hard and insurance is expensive enough as it is.

Nearly all my cars I have owned have had just disc and pad upgrades for the brakes and engines mods unless a turbo car are pointless imo. Esp over here with a small NA displacement cars.

At gainz4days what couchlockd suggested is what i would too. If you get two 8 inch subs you technically.have 16 inchs of cone area which will always be better than one 12inch sub and will punch hard too.

Theres an american company called highoutput encloulsures he makes some amazing boxes for subs.
    Euroholic likes this.

Getting insured with engine mods over here is hard and insurance is expensive enough as it is.

Nearly all my cars I have owned have had just disc and pad upgrades for the brakes and engines mods unless a turbo car are pointless imo. Esp over here with a small NA displacement cars.

At gainz4days what couchlockd suggested is what i would too. If you get two 8 inch subs you technically.have 16 inchs of cone area which will always be better than one 12inch sub and will punch hard too.

Theres an american company called highoutput encloulsures he makes some amazing boxes for subs.
    Yea i do feel sorry for you blokes. You do get screwed a bit with availability. Every bloke on earth should be able to buy a cheap v8 as a teenager and work on it and have a bit of fun. Im sure you know over here is much like in the usa their is the blokes who love those little fwd/awd jap cars with engines smaller than a carton of milk and the other kind like me who love a v8.

The lumpy sound of a cammed v8 is all the audio i need.

DCI likes this.

Wat subs?

DCI
    Yea i do feel sorry for you blokes. You do get screwed a bit with availability. Every bloke on earth should be able to buy a cheap v8 as a teenager and work on it and have a bit of fun. Im sure you know over here is much like in the usa their is the blokes who love those little fwd/awd jap cars with engines smaller than a carton of milk and the other kind like me who love a v8.

The lumpy sound of a cammed v8 is all the audio i need.

I've had loadsa italian stuff with buzzy engines great fun over here as the roads are narrow and twisty so bhp isn't always needed handling and momentum driving is where its at.

Ahh my friend has a load of corvettes so I get the v8 buzz ha

4x12, 250w each + Stock Subs underneath front seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego9595 View Post
    4x12, 250w each + Stock Subs underneath front seats.
    What brand of subs?

What brand of subs?
    Rodek ( Rödek ) very good quality, solid material not cheap. They make subwoofers and amplifiers. I'm very happy with mine.

DCI
    Well the Yamaha didn't last long. I have replaced it with a Roksan K2 Kandy amp. My lord its like comparing a toyota camry to a lexus. Both very good at being cars but one is miles ahead of the other in terms of quality and performance

Well the Yamaha didn't last long. I have replaced it with a Roksan K2 Kandy amp. My lord its like comparing a toyota camry to a lexus. Both very good at being cars but one is miles ahead of the other in terms of quality and performance
    Lexuses are glorified Toyota's...

DCI
    Lexuses are glorified Toyota's...
    Ha. I was comparing them cos everyone knows them here. If I used the Alfa Romeo and the Ferrari analogy no one would get it ha.

DCI
    Anyone else have any home audio.
    Last edited by DCI; 01-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

Cool

Denon AVR X3300W Receiver (7.2 channel, 105 watts per channel, 4k up conversion)

SVS PC-2000 Subwoofer (This bad boy will suck the air out of your lungs. Always fun to watch my guests try to breathe when bombs go off, helicopters fly over head, or dinosaurs run around)

Aperion Audio Verus Speakers (only running 5.1, but it sounds amazing and I see no need to upgrade. The volume rarely goes past 1/2 way anyway. More than that and you're just asking to go deaf)

The TV is a 65" 4k model connected to an Nvidia shield to stream 4k and play free games.

I got a Bose acoustimass 8 in living room on a tube amp and dsp

DCI
    Those SVS subs look amazing would love one ha.

A tube amp with bose must be an interesting combo

Its good sound.

Its old gear, but it's like new

Amp is older mcintosh
    DCI likes this.

DCI
    Mcintosh is seriously nice gear. Old doesn't mean bad ha. My speakers are 15 years old still sound great imo

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

I've heard lots of subs (have a 12w6v2 in the car) but this one is my favorite. I'm sure you could spend more and get something louder, but I can't imagine anything playing deeper. Its crazy when you feel how low this thing gets.

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iGuy View Post
    I've heard lots of subs (have a 12w6v2 in the car) but this one is my favorite. I'm sure you could spend more and get something louder, but I can't imagine anything playing deeper. Its crazy when you feel how low this thing gets.
    I've the same sub in my car. The size of those svs subs are amazing haha would love one. I only have a small mission sub for my home cinema its ancient now. And have a BK Elec XLS200 sub for the hifi.

But thinking of getting rid of the bk and building a custom box for my spare JL Audio sub I have and using the bk elec plate to run it.

I've the same sub in my car. The size of those svs subs are amazing haha would love one. I only have a small mission sub for my home cinema its ancient now. And have a BK Elec XLS200 sub for the hifi.

But thinking of getting rid of the bk and building a custom box for my spare JL Audio sub I have and using the bk elec plate to run it.
    You want serious output?

Build a tapped horn enclosure.

You'd really be amazed,

I know its not a real comparison, but those bose bass modules are only single 5 1/4" drivers in a tapped horn baffle.

Imagine a real 10 or 12" capable of 500w+rms in one

Name:	ForumRunner_20170125_174723.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	167223

Name:	ForumRunner_20170125_174731.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	167224

DCI
    Those boxes are brilliant but would never fit in my the trunk is tiny nor would I want it in my house ha.

I only need the sub for the very bottom end the floorstander speakers go to 48hz so the sub is onluy there to add punch and depth to the sound I don't want it taking over the sound tbh

Those boxes are brilliant but would never fit in my the trunk is tiny nor would I want it in my house ha.

I only need the sub for the very bottom end the floorstander speakers go to 48hz so the sub is onluy there to add punch and depth to the sound I don't want it taking over the sound tbh
    Those enclosures would flex your house walks with a w7 in them

DCI
    Those enclosures would flex your house walks with a w7 in them
    Lol for sure ha. Massive output is fun for a while but I prefer quality and detail than over all loudness when it comes to stereos etc. The car has a nice set of rainbow components and a high end rainbow amp too sounds decent with a jl audio 12w6v2 sub and jl audio 750.1 HD amp and i must connect my pg 12 band eq too. Sounds good but no where near as a good as the home stuff. I wasted a lot of money on car gear when i could have bought some proper hi end gear for the house and enjoyed it more.

Lol for sure ha. Massive output is fun for a while but I prefer quality and detail than over all loudness when it comes to stereos etc. The car has a nice set of rainbow components and a high end rainbow amp too sounds decent with a jl audio 12w6v2 sub and jl audio 750.1 HD amp and i must connect my pg 12 band eq too. Sounds good but no where near as a good as the home stuff. I wasted a lot of money on car gear when i could have bought some proper hi end gear for the house and enjoyed it more.
    Im a avid old school Phoenix gold collector. Pg old school,is the bomb.

Have you ever seen "the one"?

Its a 12krms mono block, with gold plated board 24k

Name:	136182_400X400.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	167239

DCI
    Yeh its a proper old skool pg eq man really nice piece of kit I got it really cheap haha.

Thats a serious amp right there. PG made some brilliant stuff. A friend used compete in spl comps with jl audio wall in a tiny vw car we get over here. Was hitting 155db's easy ha.

Thread Information