Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By yeahbuddy289
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >

Thread: Pretty off topic but air compressors anyone have brand recommendations?

99JT is offline Member

Pretty off topic but air compressors anyone have brand recommendations?

Looking to upgrade the air compressor in my shop ive had a 60 gallon kobalt (Lowes brand) for 15+ years and love the thing just not big enough for my needs anymore and the quality of their newer ones seems to have gone down. been looking at quincy, and ingersol rand but am open to other brands between those two the IR is half the price of a quincy having similar specs.

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ingersol Rand makes pretty good stuff. I certainly would trust their air compressors.
    99JT and Cylon357 like this.

99JT is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    A second vote for IR. I don't have any personal experience, but the mechanic friends I have like the brand.

My Craftsman has given me 20+ years, but who knows who was actually making them at that time? EDIT: I should also mention that for like the last 8 years or so, all I've really used it for is airing up tires and occasionally spinning an impact wrench, so it's not getting the use it did at one time.

If you have the money and the need, peek at the commercial line of products rather than consumer oriented. They usually come with better specs and increased longevity. I would think that would be true of any of the major brands that have commercial lines.
    My dad had a couple Craftsman's the first one was pretty quiet, put out a good amount of air for it's size, and was over 20 years old and the tank finally got some pin holes in it. The second was one of the oil free ones which sucked.

I love my Kobalt one from Lowe's the only reason I need a new one is I've got an industrial sand blasting cabinet which needs a lot more than it can put out.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    Get an oil filled one that runs on 220v. And commercial brand should last and be repairable. The cheap chinese ones usually come here packed in a ISO container with no parts available in this country.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Agree on the Ingersoll Rand. Some of the larger Campbell Hausfeld give decent service for most shops.

If you're feeling into trailer mounted compressors, the Atlas-Copco screw compressors are nice.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    All impacts I use are iR, i have no room for a large compressor - so, I use a high psi PorterCable

For a big one - I’d go iR, I suppose - never did me wrong yet

Fuck Chinese no name crap
    almostgone likes this.

99JT is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    All impacts I use are iR, i have no room for a large compressor - so, I use a high psi PorterCable

For a big one - I’d go iR, I suppose - never did me wrong yet

Fuck Chinese no name crap
    only bad thing ive heard about IR is the motors are made in china and a lot of them have been failing lately.

Thread Information