Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    Jason,

proof, as in you know 100% scientifical that there is a God exactly like the Bible states. 100% proof everything happened like it did. 100% proof of everything. The point is, its not proovable, nor dis-proovable. Well, it is proovable, just hasnt happened yet and dont think it will, at least in this life.

The upanishads, I believe through carbon dating alone has shown older copies than that found of the Bible, like I said though, maybe it was written down much later or originals got destroyed etc. However, from many anthropological views, Christianity stemmed from Hinduism. Certainly if you study it deeply, both is and Buddhism (which are very close related) you can see some astonishing similarities. I cant say I know near as much about either as I do Christianity though, and Im not a historian so my own opinion is just that of a normal guy. Im not sure what I think of it either.

Another interesting point I found, again Anthropologist believe that Islam will be the new "Christianity" of the world, meaning the most popular widespread in the next century.
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you. You can't prove every single thing necessarily. Eventually it does just come down to faith.

Very interesting about the upanishads. I still haven't found much info on them, but I think I will look a little more when I have the time. It definitely sounds fascinating.

Islam is the new "Christianity"? That's news to me. Very interesting.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    Give me a few days before I hit on this, if that's ok. I have some research that I have to do on something else first, and I will come back to this one. I'll start gathering materials, but it will take me a good week to put it all together once I start.

Cool . . . Take your time, I've got a few oysters to shell in the meantime. like Taxes (eeeeek!) and a couple other things . . .
    ttyl,
    -Tock

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Jason,

Look for the Vedas. They contain the Upanishads along with much more. Its the biggest selection of Hinduist sacred literature. Its not the easiest to read either! Its all metaphorical! Basically, it deals with the origin of us, the origin of the vedas themself, sacraficial and rituals, and spiritual wisdom.

Rugby13 is offline Member
    ...Read "A divine revelation of hell" I found it pretty interesting. I agree the decision as to which God to believe in is, has been and will till the end of time as we know be a dilemma (sp) but I say just believe in something. Don't go through life not believing in anything. Find something to believe in...me personally am a born again Christian, I know you might not think that from some past threads but hey I'm still human which brings me to another point real quick. To those of you who judge Christians just remember, we do not expect to be perfect, the difference is we strive toward perfection...anyway that was off topic. The reason pascals wager makes sense to me is because none of the other religions say that if you don't believe in their god something bad will happen (you'll be ****ed to hell) whereas Christianity is the only religion that I know of that actually says if you do not believe in Jesus Christ as Gods son then you'll go to hell and I think that is why there is more controversy over Christianity than any other religion because people don't want to be told what will happen to them if they chose a different lifestyle so they go with what makes them comfortable....religions that say heaven and hell are just a state of mind and it is what you want it to be. There thses people can make themselves feel better about themselves. So if pascals wager were true then I'd go with Christianity due to the bigger "risk" I stand to lose more if i don't believe in the Christian God and I'm wrong than if I were to believe in Budha and were wrong.Hopefully this was not tooo confusing
    Anyway, just my 0.2
    Also I'm not educated enough to argue about it, that's just what I beleive, even if it is blind faith!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    So "they" say.

But how do "they " know? Anyone ever been there?
    --Tock

[QUOTE=Rugby13

1) Don't go through life not believing in anything. Find something to believe in...

2) To those of you who judge Christians just remember, we do not expect to be perfect, the difference is we strive toward perfection.

3) The reason pascals wager makes sense to me is because none of the other religions say that if you don't believe in their god something bad will happen (you'll be ****ed to hell) whereas Christianity is the only religion that I know of that actually says if you do not believe in Jesus Christ as Gods son then you'll go to hell

4) . So if pascals wager were true then I'd go with Christianity due to the bigger "risk" I stand to lose more if i don't believe in the Christian God
    QUOTE]

1) "Everyone ought to beleive in something . . . I beleive I'll have another drink!" --W.C.Fields
    2) The only truly objectionable Christians are the ones who cram their religion down other people's throats. It's the ones who think that other people should beleive the way they do, worship the way they do, live the way they do, that chap my ass (and I've got a half inch of new callus).
    3) So how do you pick between Roman Catholicism, Jehovah's Witness, WorldWide Church of God, Church of Christ, Branch Davidians, or any of the multitude of Christian denominations that say you gotta beleive their way OR ELSE?
    4) Are you certain that your knowledge of all the other religions that ever existed is thorough enough that you can confidently all others not Christian?

-Tock

Ok I see what you're saying but to me, my beliefs don't say believe it my way or else and I don't agree with the fact that true Christians are the ones that cram stuff down your throat. I've never agreed with that approach. To me Christianity or to be a Christian means that you beleive that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and he sent His Son to earth to die for my and your sins so we may be forgiven and rose on the third day again and that there is no way to heaven but through Jesus Christ, God's son. So I'm not saying which Christian beleif to believe in. To me that the basic beleif and if you truly beleive that and try to live a more "Christ-like" life you'll end up in heaven.
    As far as pascals wager goes, forget I said anything about that because honestly I don't think that's a good enough reason to believe in Christianity, you have to feel convictred within yourself to want to beleive, not because you're scared of what might happen to you if you don't.

[QUOTE=Tock]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby13

1) Don't go through life not believing in anything. Find something to believe in...

2) To those of you who judge Christians just remember, we do not expect to be perfect, the difference is we strive toward perfection.

3) The reason pascals wager makes sense to me is because none of the other religions say that if you don't believe in their god something bad will happen (you'll be ****ed to hell) whereas Christianity is the only religion that I know of that actually says if you do not believe in Jesus Christ as Gods son then you'll go to hell

4) . So if pascals wager were true then I'd go with Christianity due to the bigger "risk" I stand to lose more if i don't believe in the Christian God

1) "Everyone ought to beleive in something . . . I beleive I'll have another drink!" --W.C.Fields
    2) The only truly objectionable Christians are the ones who cram their religion down other people's throats. It's the ones who think that other people should beleive the way they do, worship the way they do, live the way they do, that chap my ass (and I've got a half inch of new callus).
    3) So how do you pick between Roman Catholicism, Jehovah's Witness, WorldWide Church of God, Church of Christ, Branch Davidians, or any of the multitude of Christian denominations that say you gotta beleive their way OR ELSE?
    4) Are you certain that your knowledge of all the other religions that ever existed is thorough enough that you can confidently all others not Christian?

-Tock

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby13
    Ok I see what you're saying but to me, my beliefs don't say believe it my way or else and I don't agree with the fact that true Christians are the ones that cram stuff down your throat. I've never agreed with that approach. To me Christianity or to be a Christian means that you beleive that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and he sent His Son to earth to die for my and your sins so we may be forgiven and rose on the third day again and that there is no way to heaven but through Jesus Christ, God's son. So I'm not saying which Christian beleif to believe in. To me that the basic beleif and if you truly beleive that and try to live a more "Christ-like" life you'll end up in heaven.
    As far as pascals wager goes, forget I said anything about that because honestly I don't think that's a good enough reason to believe in Christianity, you have to feel convictred within yourself to want to beleive, not because you're scared of what might happen to you if you don't.

Cool.
    If all Christians followed your example, they would be regarded more highly than they are now . . .
    Take care,
    --Tock

I appreciate it bro. I try to live by example but as everybody I fail sometimes to. To me, it's like life.....it's not how often you fall but rather what you do when you pick yourself up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Cool.
    If all Christians followed your example, they would be regarded more highly than they are now . . .
    Take care,
    --Tock
    My pastor said something that's really true a little while ago. He said that the biggest problem Christians have are other Christians and I couldn't agree more. Cool thread though bro...take care.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread Information