Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hard_Body
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By zempey

Thread: eat clean on a tight budget?

Ryan624 is offline Associate Member

eat clean on a tight budget?

Hey I am looking to change up my diet for awhile. I want to cut out processed food, switch to organic grass fed meats, and some organic vegetables and fruits. I currently need to eat 3500 calories to bulk. The only way I have been able to hit my macros on my budget is to make a large shake consisting of 4 cups milk, 3 scoops whey protein. two bananas and 3 table spoons natty peanut butter. This reassures that i hit my calories. I read about 100 stickies so If your going to direct me to that department please be specific. Im trying to influence my household to follow along , I just dont think I can afford it.. any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hard_Body is offline Junior Member
    not hard man here is a solid article, Bodybuilding.com - World-Class Mass On $10 A Day 10$ a day,
    csavage0 likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    You can probably get all the protein your body needs for around $6/day

inexpensive bananas could run you around another $1.50/day for two pounds.

this still means you have another 1,200 cals/day to go.

you will have to find inexpensive ways at the grocery store to fill that 1,200 calorie hole.

You can go to Costco and get large apples for $0.69/pound.

Carrots are very inexpensive, and have a surprising amount of carbs.

If I had only $10/day, I could do it and still eat whole foods and hit my macros.

You will lack dietary diversity, so therefore, don't forget your multi~!

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Rice and potatoes are always an easy go to for cheap carbs.

if you are going grassfed then ya your expenses will be higher. But if you want good quality, then costco breast in bulk is good. But i use cheaper version breasts, we have stores (loblaws, iga) when breast goes on sale it becomes 8.80$/kg. That's the cheapest breast. Anyway eggs are always cheap if you find them on sale. So is cottage cheese. Also I recently calculated and saw powder milk is cheaper too but it has lots sugar. extra lean Ground pork and ground beef are always cheap and cheaper on sale..

Cheapest carbs/calories I found were spaghetti, then rice... stay away from bread, too expensive for lil calories. and for fruit read above post ^

he didn't say "eat cheap"

he said "eat clean on tight budget"

there is nothing clean about cheap spaghetti

Quote Originally Posted by EquilibriumZ View Post
    if you are going grassfed then ya your expenses will be higher. But if you want good quality, then costco breast in bulk is good. But i use cheaper version breasts, we have stores (loblaws, iga) when breast goes on sale it becomes 8.80$/kg. That's the cheapest breast. Anyway eggs are always cheap if you find them on sale. So is cottage cheese. Also I recently calculated and saw powder milk is cheaper too but it has lots sugar. extra lean Ground pork and ground beef are always cheap and cheaper on sale..

Cheapest carbs/calories I found were spaghetti, then rice... stay away from bread, too expensive for lil calories. and for fruit read above post ^
    csavage0 likes this.

Look for tuna on sale, like 2$ a can, roughly 35-40 grams of protein right there,

tuna in a can is significantly more expensive than canned chicken at Costco. I can get a can of chicken with 50grams of protein for a little over $1.50/can

on a gram per gram comparison, Tuna is more expensive than chicken
    Khazima likes this.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    You can cook chicken breasts and freeze them, they become the same consistency as the canned chicken if cooked low and slow, and much better than coming from a can.

Big bags of chicken breast from Costco
    Big Bags of Oatmeal
    Big Bags of Rice
    Whole Eggs
    =
    Protein
    Carbs
    Fats

yeah canned chicken isnt exactly under most bodybuilders diets. Tuna has been a staple for decades and it is not that expensive, Cheaper isnt always better,
    Last edited by Hard_Body; 12-14-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Body View Post
    yeah canned chicken isnt exactly under most bodybuilders diets. Tuna has been a staple for decades and it is not that expensive, Cheaper isnt always better,
    in this particular case, more isn't better.

the chicken is a clean source of protein, with almost zero fat. the quality of the chicken is good.

you should try it before you dismiss it

lmfao op might not even have a costco membership i don't, bodybuilders just dont eat canned chicken is what im saying

lmfao op might not even have a costco membership i don't, bodybuilders just dont eat canned chicken is what im saying
    that's a fair statement.

but why do you suppose that is?

.......it certainly is not because the tuna represent a better quality protein.

You know that I'm talking about frozen chicken breasts right? If you don't have a Costco membership, take your ass to Smiths or Walmart and buy it fresh, then put it in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by AllKindsOGains View Post
    You know that I'm talking about frozen chicken breasts right? If you don't have a Costco membership, take your ass to Smiths or Walmart and buy it fresh, then put it in the freezer.
    I know im talking about romans post and we got into a discussion about canned chicken here, Bodybuilders just cook chicken breast, canned has more preservatives i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by AllKindsOGains View Post
    I know im talking about romans post and we got into a discussion about canned chicken here, Bodybuilders just cook chicken breast, canned has more preservatives i suppose. and more processed

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    I have always ate lots of canned chicken. Actually from Costco to. The cans are nice and big, the chicken is good white chunk chicken. Sodium a bit high, but it does come from a can so.......

I know im talking about romans post and we got into a discussion about canned chicken here, Bodybuilders just cook chicken breast, canned has more preservatives i suppose.
    Bake it and put it in the fridge. Best way to save time.

I bake 10-12lbs at a time and freeze them individually then take out a couple a day to thaw in the fridge.
    AllKindsOGains likes this.

Thanks for all the replies. I just picked up some organic ground beef, chicken, tuna, sweet potato, pasta, white rice, oatmeal bananas and eggs. That with my whey protein and I think i should be good

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan624 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I just picked up some organic ground beef, chicken, tuna, sweet potato, pasta, white rice, oatmeal bananas and eggs. That with my whey protein and I think i should be good
    Yeah that should be about everything you need, looks good, at you going to be eating vegetables? Frozen ones are most convenient.

You should throw in some veggies for sure.

ok yeah Im going to have to definatley add some veggies. Do frozen vegetables have the same or similar healthy vitamins and minerals as non frozen. There much more affordable thats for sure. Do you recommend any particular few?

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    For frozen veggies, I generally stock up on spinach, turnip greens, green beans, and sometimes broccoli.... although I usually buy the fresh broccoli crowns. The yellow frozen squash is tolerable, but not as good as fresh.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

dreadnok89 is offline Member
    Isnt the salt in the can a nono? Or would it just be up to the individual and their salt history?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan624 View Post
    ok yeah Im going to have to definatley add some veggies. Do frozen vegetables have the same or similar healthy vitamins and minerals as non frozen. There much more affordable thats for sure. Do you recommend any particular few?
    I really just add the greens to keep the plumbing in check....

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I am pretty certain someone will have their panties in a bunch - but, oh well

We been buying out food stamps around our hood, srsly it saves me hundreds per month & now we eat fairly well. The amount people receive here in az is uncalled for, 800 or so a month for a family of 4.

This & buying quite a bit of our food from a place by our house that sells close to expired groceries - Greek yogurts for a quarter.

I do what I gotta do to get by. For over a year I lived off nothing but chicken & shakes.

Do what you gotta do, those shitbags will find someone to sell those things to who will probably not put them to as good a use as you are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    Do what you gotta do, those shitbags will find someone to sell those things to who will probably not put them to as good a use as you are.
    I just don't like knowing where my cash goes after it leaves my hands - Since one time I was the one getting it too

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    If you eating chicken you are living good lol. Weekly i go to the market and just buy 10 kilo of chicken breasts. for about 40 bucks. I would not know what to do without my fine feathered friend haha.

Carbs are just veggies, fruits, and rice every other day. Here veggies and fruits are somewhat cheap.

Fats come from almonds I eat (cheap here)

I cannot say 10 bucks would make it here.

No shame in the foodstamp game. Gov just uses it as a tool to buy votes. No reason why you should not benefit from it if they are too dumb to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    I am pretty certain someone will have their panties in a bunch - but, oh well

We been buying out food stamps around our hood, srsly it saves me hundreds per month & now we eat fairly well. The amount people receive here in az is uncalled for, 800 or so a month for a family of 4.

This & buying quite a bit of our food from a place by our house that sells close to expired groceries - Greek yogurts for a quarter.

I do what I gotta do to get by. For over a year I lived off nothing but chicken & shakes.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, if it wasn't for chicken - I think I'd die.

There's no other lean protein that comes even close. Next up would be powder

Shit, I just had read meat for the first time in a few months the other day.

I can't even buy people's FS that much. It's already a huge scam here where most people with money are the ones who buy them out.

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Canned chicken is a good one. Easy to lugs round as well. Rice is always cheap. Potatoes are cheap as well. As far as meat goes I've found ground turkey is often cheaper than a lot of meats and tastes great in my opinion.

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan624
    Yes frozen vegetables are just as good as far as vitamins and minerals. They are sprayed with some preservatives to keep them fresh but that's about the only difference.

bobbypump is offline Associate Member
    I like to mix in the frozen tilapia fillets from whole foods throughout the week. Those are responsibly raised in an indoor facility and run 2.99 for two pieces (30g prot). I would guess they'd be much cheaper for generic ones at walmart/etc. Tough to beat the chicken, though, i know

Thread Information