Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Improving your Bench......at any level

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member

Improving your Bench......at any level

I see alot of posts about guys looking to increase there Bench or are just plain stuck. I am 44 years old and have been training since I was 16 and my Bench Press has never been impressive. A little over a year ago I started training at a gym that was mostly an old school power lifting gym and I started listening to the owner and former junior olympic record holder Ed Puopolo. Ed explained to me how you need to train specifically for that lift and how to figure out your sticking point.
    Things to look for: Lets say for example we are looking at my 1 rpm......and I failed! Well...where was my sticking point? Ususally it's in one of two places. The first is that you could not get the weight off of your chest and the second is that you could not finish the press once you got it off of your chest and missed the lockout.
    How can I improve this: If you could not get the weight off your chest then you are not exploding off of your chest. Remedy: incorperate training with bands, chains, pin presses, or the cambered bar. These are all effective tools that you can incorperate into any type of rep scheme. The idea is to check your ego in at the door and allow these tools to let you strengthen that area of your Bench. Another approach is to incorperate speed Bench's (say 50% of your 1 rpm max for 3 reps of 8 sets with a 45/60 sec rest between sets.
    One thing to note is how your bring the weight towards your chest before you press it. Most bodybuilders bring it down slow almost like a negative. This approach although an effective BB tool will not aid you in exploding with the bar when it is sitting on your chest. A better approach would be to lower it in a controlled manner without taxing your triceps so they are fresh when you go to press the weight. This should obviously be something you are aware of and practice with your chest routine.
    The second big sticking point is the lockout! If you cant lock it out or finish the rep that means your triceps are weak. The tricep needs to be hit with heavy compound movements and they should be hit twice a week. One thing to keep in mind is grip width on the bar. The proper hand grip to maximize your tricep growth is to place your thumbs where the bar is smooth and the rest of your fingers on the knurled part of the bar and yes .... wrap your thumbs under the bar, not over it. You will get a better hit this way and your triceps will develop more. Some major tricep building exercises are: the JM press, Paul Dick's press, close grip bench presses with and without a block. You can add chains to these exercises depending on what level you are at but try all of them even the awkward ones.....save pushdowns and dips for a finisher as they will NOT make your bench go up.
    If you are having a hard time with the bench, long arms etc. these things can help you strengthen those areas because they are specific to the Bench press. Be patient with these exercises.....yes, some are awkward and can be a little frustrating but if what you are doing isnt working then obviously you need to make a change in your program. Hope this helps.....Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Good Post.

Remember the most used tool in the world to strength build for international competition is German Volume Training.

10 sets of 10 at 70% of your 1 RM with 60 second rest between sets. Slow controlled 4 seconds down and explode up. No stop or lockouts.

If you calculate your 70% of your 1 RM and cannot do 10x10 at this cadence then you are lagging in areas that can only be addressed by reps.

I am the opposite. I can do the 10x10 at cadence but calculating up I cannot hit the 1 RM number. However.....every week I improve by 2.5- 5 Kg and after a month I am busting that plateau on the 1 RM like it never existed. I cannot give enough praise to GVT. It is no wonder the Germans kicked the world's collective butt for 40-years in the olympics with this before it became common knowledge. Down side to GVT you will be given a lot of crap by the plate penis guys due to you are working out at 70% of max. I just ignore them and say in my head....no matter what they do in the gym their 5'9 will never beat my 6'4 lol

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about that Chicago. .

10x10.. 10reps is getting away from the power range and in between hypertrophy/endurance range. Not very effective at building power.

Good post buster. The 8x3 seems interesting

I am new to the 8x3 speed sets and can only compare that portion to HIT style training. I think a lot of guys are unaware that they can do more for there bench then simply swap flat bench for inclines.
    Another point is that I myself have improved greatly after years of having a more or less stagnant bench. I never thought to analyze my sticking points and actually they were pointed out to me.
    I am lucky that most of the guys in the gym train in the same manner (small gym and not a ton of members) so you can really expose your weaknesses and make them stronger.

RewardingLabor is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    I am the opposite. I can do the 10x10 at cadence but calculating up I cannot hit the 1 RM number.
    You probably don't want to hear this but did you ever think that maybe there is a reason for this? I don't think any bodybuilder used GVT exclusively, if you never get a feel for lifting heavy then you never will get to where you should be in that area.

@busterbrown
    So do you do close grip bench press and bench press on the same day? I've always done dips for triceps because my chest is so tired from benching… but maybe thats a good thing because then i'm using my triceps more.

Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor
    You probably don't want to hear this but did you ever think that maybe there is a reason for this? I don't think any bodybuilder used GVT exclusively, if you never get a feel for lifting heavy then you never will get to where you should be in that area. @busterbrown So do you do close grip bench press and bench press on the same day? I've always done dips for triceps because my chest is so tired from benching... but maybe thats a good thing because then i'm using my triceps more.
    Dips aren't going to make your bench go up but they are a great finisher. On chest day I include a lying tricep extension and an overhead extension. On shoulder day I do close grip bench presses or a variation of them. They can take the beating unlike biceps.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Many big benchers swear by dips, OHP and close grip for their bench. Everything you've mentioned are great tools but I think it's unfair to say dips don't increase your bench, because many have found it does.

You need to find what works for your bench and this thread has mentioned some great tools but dips might work just as well for someone else as chains and bands have for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    Many big benchers swear by dips, OHP and close grip for their bench. Everything you've mentioned are great tools but I think it's unfair to say dips don't increase your bench, because many have found it does. You need to find what works for your bench and this thread has mentioned some great tools but dips might work just as well for someone else as chains and bands have for you.
    Bet you a protein shake they won't!
    Khazima likes this.

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Great info thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by derekkpapa1
    Great info thanks man
    Thank you

I guess I need to understand the bench weight you are talking about when you say "power". If you are talking like Tiny Meeker and such.... that is a different universe than most people live in.

I guess my post was addressing the professional athlete like James Harrison and such. I admit to having 0 understanding of the world that is outside of professional sports or Olympic events. Just the thought of pressing 1000 lbs makes my head hurt haha.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post

10x10.. 10reps is getting away from the power range and in between hypertrophy/endurance range. Not very effective at building power.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post

Perfect timing for this video.

Good video.

Just for math for the sake of growth argument assume 100 KG is 70% of your max. This makes your 1 RM in the 130-135 KG range.

10 x 10 = 10,000 Kg you push per workout. I believe the significance of this is not the 10,000 but the CNS realisation that the weight is easily doable. Next week you are at 103Kg.
    Week 3= 106 Kg
    Week 4 = 109 Kg
    Week 5 = 112 Kg
    Week 6 = 115 Kg
    Week 6 = 118 Kg
    Week 7 = 121 Kg
    Week 8 = 124 Kg
    Week 9 = 127 Kg
    Week 10 = 130 Kg
    Week 11 = 133 Kg
    Week 12 = 136 Kg

Is this doable? Easily. i did it so anyone can do it. There is a very interesting item that occurs on your 9th set. You receive a CNS boost where the 10 reps are easier than the first 10 reps. I believe there is some important item that occurs at this time that allows the increase in weight. In any case on a 12 week cycle you can move from 1 RM of 136 to 10 x 10 of 136 Kg and that is huge strength and more importantly CNS growth.

I am just a believer in GVT.
    Khazima likes this.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Good video.

Just for math for the sake of growth argument assume 100 KG is 70% of your max. This makes your 1 RM in the 130-135 KG range.

10 x 10 = 10,000 Kg you push per workout. I believe the significance of this is not the 10,000 but the CNS realisation that the weight is easily doable. Next week you are at 103Kg.
    Week 3= 106 Kg
    Week 4 = 109 Kg
    Week 5 = 112 Kg
    Week 6 = 115 Kg
    Week 6 = 118 Kg
    Week 7 = 121 Kg
    Week 8 = 124 Kg
    Week 9 = 127 Kg
    Week 10 = 130 Kg
    Week 11 = 133 Kg
    Week 12 = 136 Kg

Is this doable? Easily. i did it so anyone can do it. There is a very interesting item that occurs on your 9th set. You receive a CNS boost where the 10 reps are easier than the first 10 reps. I believe there is some important item that occurs at this time that allows the increase in weight. In any case on a 12 week cycle you can move from 1 RM of 136 to 10 x 10 of 136 Kg and that is huge strength and more importantly CNS growth.

How long have you been training for ?

Good video.

Week 3= 106 Kg
    Week 4 = 109 Kg
    Week 5 = 112 Kg
    Week 6 = 115 Kg
    Week 6 = 118 Kg
    Week 7 = 121 Kg
    Week 8 = 124 Kg
    Week 9 = 127 Kg
    Week 10 = 130 Kg
    Week 11 = 133 Kg
    Week 12 = 136 Kg

I've become intrigued about GVT lately, already planning to do it after the program I'm currently doing finishes. Only thing I don't like is frequency, I like to workout atleast 5 days a week. Not sure what the leeway is with that, haven't fully looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier
    Good video. Just for math for the sake of growth argument assume 100 KG is 70% of your max. This makes your 1 RM in the 130-135 KG range. 10 x 10 = 10,000 Kg you push per workout. I believe the significance of this is not the 10,000 but the CNS realisation that the weight is easily doable. Next week you are at 103Kg. Week 3= 106 Kg Week 4 = 109 Kg Week 5 = 112 Kg Week 6 = 115 Kg Week 6 = 118 Kg Week 7 = 121 Kg Week 8 = 124 Kg Week 9 = 127 Kg Week 10 = 130 Kg Week 11 = 133 Kg Week 12 = 136 Kg Is this doable? Easily. i did it so anyone can do it. There is a very interesting item that occurs on your 9th set. You receive a CNS boost where the 10 reps are easier than the first 10 reps. I believe there is some important item that occurs at this time that allows the increase in weight. In any case on a 12 week cycle you can move from 1 RM of 136 to 10 x 10 of 136 Kg and that is huge strength and more importantly CNS growth. I am just a believer in GVT.
    The point of the post was that I was trying to encourage guys into 1) getting away from the notion that accessory work is going to give them a bigger bench press and 2) there are plenty of compound movements that are proven to be effective and 3) to understand why the weight isn't going up.
    I didn't get into the all of the different set/rep sequences I use because the post would have been toooooo long and I meant it as an overview. I can't comment on GVT and if it works for you that is awesome. I do know that with the training methods I am using that they work and I am extremely close to reaching my goal and that is to double my body weight on the bench.

Hard_Body is offline Junior Member
    Buster do you think progressing on power cleans will help aid in increasing bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Body View Post
    Buster do you think progressing on power cleans will help aid in increasing bench?
    Power cleans are great for explosiveness, so indirectly yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Body
    I think you are better off training bench specific exercises that will directly help your bench. Obv power cleans are a great exercise and it will help indirectly just as having a big back aids in stabilizing your bench.

I have noticed significant improvements to my lats specifically after about a month specifically of doing power cleans, great for back development and shoulder explosiveness .

To be honest I think you will be more productive doing bench specific exercises like the ones I listed. Power cleans are awesome but they r more indirect ...... But do count. A big back helps in your bench as it stabilizes you and helps you push off but I wouldn't consider it a direct connection to a bigger bench.

Yeah to increase any lift you need to do it consistently on a weekly basis to truly master it, whenever i do an exercise i haven't done in awhile i usually don't start go get the feel for it until the last set. Sticking to a number of exercises performing them week in and week out is much more efficient.

Yeah to increase any lift you need to do it consistently on a weekly basis to truly master it, whenever i do an exercise i haven't done in awhile i usually don't start go get the feel for it until the last set. Sticking to a number of exercises performing them week in and week out is much more efficient.
    This is true and if you train in a 5x5 manner or similar and add weight week to week as a percentage of your 1 rep max you may hit a plateau before reaching your goal that is why guys will train with bands, chains, etc. to break that plateau and avoid adaptation.

I've noticed that when I bench, even when using a weight I can easily control, I wobble a bit from side to side and my arms shake a lot. It's a really small shaking so I'm not sure its even noticeable from the exterior but I can feel myself doing it. Is this a problem? What do I do about it?

Also, how can I improve my bench if i've hurt my back and can't pick up heavy weight?

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor View Post
    Also, how can I improve my bench if i've hurt my back and can't pick up heavy weight?
    You wait until your back is healed, then you lift heavy weight.

You can't become stronger without lifting heavier weights. You can't lift heavy weights when you're not lifting heavy.

So heal up, then go lift heavy

I've noticed that when I bench, even when using a weight I can easily control, I wobble a bit from side to side and my arms shake a lot. It's a really small shaking so I'm not sure its even noticeable from the exterior but I can feel myself doing it. Is this a problem? What do I do about it? Also, how can I improve my bench if i've hurt my back and can't pick up heavy weight?
    To be honest I haven't experienced any shaking since i was a teenager and attributed it to lactic acid......so I was told and it went away as I got stronger.
    If you are hurt then heal up before you try lifting heavy. This is a marathon and there is no sense in going backwards....... That will only hurt you more and you will be further away from your goal. I don't advocate anyone using more advanced techniques then they are ready for and at your stage there is no way around a bad back.....take your time and heal up so you can train harder.

This is just most likely a stabilization issue in the arms, how long have you been benching? Dumbbells can aid in brining up the stabilizer muscles.

This is just most likely a stabilization issue in the arms, how long have you been benching? Dumbbells can aid in brining up the stabilizer muscles.
    I have been benching for 28 years. And yes, dumbells are great assistance work for stabilization .

I've noticed that when I bench, even when using a weight I can easily control, I wobble a bit from side to side and my arms shake a lot. It's a really small shaking so I'm not sure its even noticeable from the exterior but I can feel myself doing it. Is this a problem? What do I do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Body View Post
    Agreed it's probably a stabilization issue, it'll go away the more free weighted exercises you do.

As for the back, try not to do movements that will compress your spine and back off for a bit. Backs are a very delicate situation.

thanks all.
    I've been benching for 10 years but only the last 7 months has been quality work.
    I switched to dumbs today and will probably stay in that zone for awhile though I really miss barbell stuff.
    I also started putting my feet up on the bench to really force myself to stabilize the weight, hopefully it works.
    And my gym has those trx set up so i did pushups there.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Just my 2 cents... Carefull with 10x10 program as it can easily get you a shoulder injury if you are prone to it, just too many reps.

I much prefer the low sets, high intensity, dorian yates and marcus style. Much lesser injuries and the muscle is stimulated to grow. To tell you the truth dont care much about 1rm, im a bodybuilder not a powerlifter

thanks all. I've been benching for 10 years but only the last 7 months has been quality work. I switched to dumbs today and will probably stay in that zone for awhile though I really miss barbell stuff. I also started putting my feet up on the bench to really force myself to stabilize the weight, hopefully it works. And my gym has those trx set up so i did pushups there.
    One thing you can try with your dumbells is triplets. Press with the left hand/dumbell back down, press with the right hand/dumbell then back down and finally press them together . So you are doing a single left, single right, then press both dumbells, repeat 4 times .
    RewardingLabor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    Just my 2 cents... Carefull with 10x10 program as it can easily get you a shoulder injury if you are prone to it, just too many reps. I much prefer the low sets, high intensity, dorian yates and marcus style. Much lesser injuries and the muscle is stimulated to grow. To tell you the truth dont care much about 1rm, im a bodybuilder not a powerlifter
    I agree that a 10x10 is an injury waiting to happen. I am not a big fan of a 1 rm but I do believe in cycling your training and by adopting a PL style routine for 8 to 12 weeks can break some plateaus via the strength gains which will only help you grow as a bodybuilder once you switch you routine back.
    Mr.BB and marcus300 like this.

Here is one to add to the tool box: floor presses. ........ this is another exercise that will help you with the midway point of the exercise up through lockout. You basically lay down on the floor in the rack as if you were going to do bench presses in the rack but without a bench. So once you are laying down and have your pins set where they need to be you grasp the bar and bring it down until your elbows touch the floor then press up. I have been working them into my routine and perform them as follows: warm up, set 1...6 reps, set 2.....5 reps, set 3 ... 4 reps, set 4-6 ....3 reps. Give em' a shot.

*mikro* is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    Here is one to add to the tool box: floor presses. ........ this is another exercise that will help you with the midway point of the exercise up through lockout. You basically lay down on the floor in the rack as if you were going to do bench presses in the rack but without a bench. So once you are laying down and have your pins set where they need to be you grasp the bar and bring it down until your elbows touch the floor then press up. I have been working them into my routine and perform them as follows: warm up, set 1...6 reps, set 2.....5 reps, set 3 ... 4 reps, set 4-6 ....3 reps. Give em' a shot.
    trying this thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by *mikro* View Post
    trying this thank you!
    Give it a shot...... you must train for that movement in order for the weight to go up.

Good video.

Week 3= 106 Kg
    Week 4 = 109 Kg
    Week 5 = 112 Kg
    Week 6 = 115 Kg
    Week 6 = 118 Kg
    Week 7 = 121 Kg
    Week 8 = 124 Kg
    Week 9 = 127 Kg
    Week 10 = 130 Kg
    Week 11 = 133 Kg
    Week 12 = 136 Kg

That's a really impressive gain in strength, looks like you did 95% of your 1rep max from week one for 10 sets of 10 in week 12… are you sure that you weren't underestimating your 1 rep max from week one (basically did you actually test it or just calculate it with a formula)

What was your rest between sets and what else did you do on chest day? (also do you do other body parts on chest day?)

How long would you say you were in the gym for each workout?

EDIT:
    Also I've noticed that the wider I have my hands (literally as wide as I can put them) the more weight i can push, but the harder it is to get the bar off the rack to start. Anyone else have any other technical tips?

And buster for those floor presses, do you notice you can do more or less weight than when using the bench?
    Last edited by RewardingLabor; 12-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Benching as wide as possible will only hurt your shoulders and is a sign of weak triceps. Floor presses are done with a little less weight then the standard bench because you don't have your chest to explode off of.

EDIT:
    Also I've noticed that the wider I have my hands (literally as wide as I can put them) the more weight i can push, but the harder it is to get the bar off the rack to start. Anyone else have any other technical tips?
    Get someone to give you a lift off, or use a power rack where you can put the pins at an easier height.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post

Get someone to give you a lift off, or use a power rack where you can put the pins at an easier height.
    If you can't clear the pins lifting off then you are def benching tooo wide

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information