tiger909 is offline Senior Member

1998 mercedes e320 trouble (calling car enthusiasts)

so my car overheated b/c there was a leak in the coolant hose. then the Serpentine belt broke, leading to the battery depletion due to no alternator. also, the Serpentine belt controls the power steering so now steerings nearly impossible. also now the engine fan is a little loose, what does that mean.

im low on money now and was hoping to make this a job i take care of. does it seem serious or something i should be able to take care of myself?

PLAYA4LIFE is offline Associate Member
    mercedes are known for problems and when you get any it is going to cost you thousands of dollars. i've a 2001 e320 and it has had many problems and I don't even drive it much.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    you could prolly do the hose yourself. The belts might be a little tricky if it's anything like my audi. I know mine has a spring mechanism thing that helps keep tension on the belt that needs to be replaced too. Shouldn't be driving german if you don't have the cash to repair them, labor is 95/hr at the benz dealer.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger909
    so my car overheated b/c there was a leak in the coolant hose. then the Serpentine belt broke, leading to the battery depletion due to no alternator. also, the Serpentine belt controls the power steering so now steerings nearly impossible. also now the engine fan is a little loose, what does that mean.

im low on money now and was hoping to make this a job i take care of. does it seem serious or something i should be able to take care of myself?
    replace the hose.....put a new belt on.....easy.....engine fan deal sounds whacked (i'm surprised a benz has a crank driven fan for one).....try to tighten that down

Thread Information