Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Samson7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    Well I appologise as well if what I said sounded like that because I certainly didnt mean it that way. I am an agnostic now but I was brought up as a Catholic so I have some views on all of this as well, but these threads always end of getting heated and end up being closed so I am staying out of this one from here on in. Again I appologise I offended you i any way because what I said was not intended that way

Accepted, Im not trying to get heated. I just feel that I have respected everyones beliefs, and I took your comment the wrong way. I was in no way shape or form mad or heated at what you said, just didnt know where you were coming from. I have the upmost respect for you and all other members, and am not trying to offend anyone. I just like to discuss stuff like this, its interesting.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by Samson7
    Exactly! Who is to say I am right. Im not, I just say what I believe. If I am wrong and one of the other religions is right then I will have to deal with whatever reprocutions come with that.

Now as for the next part, according to my Christian beliefs, you are wrong. Where did you here any of that? According to Christianity, you have one life to accept Jesus, whether its your whole life or on your death bed. To get into heaven you have to accept Jesus before you die, or before judgement day. I would love to explain to you all of how the end times are going to work according to my belief, but there is 2 problems, time, and I dont even completely understand everything as I am always learning.
    OK forget what I said in the previous post about staying out, I just have one comment to make about this
    That is exactly what I think but if you take it one step further then if you believe this stuff, we are all screwed, because every religion believes that there religion is the only one thats right, and that all the other poor mofo's are going to the dark place. So extrapolation tells me we are all on our way to the big oven down stairs !!

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    im done talking religion for the night ......... good discussion samson ....... no hard feelings here bro

OK forget what I said in the previous post about staying out, I just have one comment to make about this
    That is exactly what I think but if you take it one step further then if you believe this stuff, we are all screwed, because every religion believes that there religion is the only one thats right, and that all the other poor mofo's are going to the dark place. So extrapolation tells me we are all on our way to the big oven down stairs !!

Haha right, if there is a religion that is right only one will be right, all the others are wrong and yes, heading to a dark place. I hope I got the right one. or

But to me its more than fire insurance, its just a way of life and it gives me a sense of being and belonging. What others may see as simply insecurities I see as meaning. Im not going to judge anyone for anything they believe, its not my place! Im just living life the best way I know how. I try my best to follow the lifestyle, but I am not perfect I do mess up. But thats what I love about my religion, Its about love and forgiveness, and I try my best to display those qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33
    im done talking religion for the night ......... good discussion samson ....... no hard feelings here bro

Not at all bro...I like to talk stuff like this with people. I see you are in FL, well so am I...and Its late here

Not at all bro...I like to talk stuff like this with people. I see you are in FL, well so am I...and Its late here

yeah bro ....... hear that ....... im gonna watch a lil more of this ChiSox/Angels game on ESPN and then it's off to bed

Kale, I would love to stay up and talk but it is late here and i need to hit the sack. If you have any other questions just post them and ill try to answer how I believe. It was interesting and a good thread. Like I said earlier, I respect you and your beliefs and I think you are a great member with great contributions to this board. I believe you have actually helped me out a couple times in the passed. Take it easy and ill see you around the board.

yeah bro ....... hear that ....... im gonna watch a lil more of this ChiSox/Angels game on ESPN and then it's off to bed
    Im watching it too. Baseball fan?

Im watching it too. Baseball fan?

of course .......... been playing since i was 6

ya me too...do you still play?

ya me too...do you still play?

only in competitive rec leagues ......... played juco ball in ny ....... got hurt, had surgery, was never the same pitcher ...... walked on to a DII down here in FL as a 1B/DH/3B ......... got hurt again ....... end of story

now i just play cause i love the game

what about you ?

I have a bunch of baseball buddies from south fl...we might know some of the same people.

I have a bunch of baseball buddies from south fl...we might know some of the same people.

cool ....... you still play ?? ............ know any good leagues down here in SoFla ?

what about you ?

Kind of the same last two seasons plagued with injury. 2 years ago I tore my foot up 5 games in and was out for the season. 2 surguries and 2 screws in the foot later I came back in the fall and tore my meniscus in my first game back, so I missed the first half of this last season. I am trying to get one more good year in before I hang the cleats up.

What Highschool?

cool ....... you still play ?? ............ know any good leagues down here in SoFla ?

Ill be looking for a league next summer probably. Im in central fl though.

What Highschool?

i went to high school and juco in NY ....... then came down to FL and played D-II

oh alright, cool. Well bro, Im out. Good talking to you. Ill see you around the board.

oh alright, cool. Well bro, Im out. Good talking to you. Ill see you around the board.

later bro

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont go church

LiveHuge is offline New Member
    i am a very proud christian and i hope that all of you will one day find a way to god.

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    my dad's an anglican priest, he hasnt forced any of his beliefs onto me at all.
    yes he did take me to church when i was younger but once i started making decisions for myself it was up to me to follow or do whatever i thought was best for me.
    i like to read up on alot of different religons and different beliefs of other societies and follow what i believe to be right in my own eyes.
    i would say i am a christian because i believe in god but i do not follow any one religon
    Last edited by I_Want_Abs; 08-08-2006 at 03:19 AM.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I hope that all of you will find happiness be it with any religion or no religion at all.

Happiness comes 1st, then comes religion..it is not that important.

Think about it like this:

Hell will be awesome!!! All the interesting fun people will be there, they will have steroids , they'll be devil girls in short skirts serving margaritas..

Hell is good

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    I hope that all of you will find happiness be it with any religion or no religion at all.

Happiness comes 1st, then comes religion..it is not that important.

Think about it like this:

Hell will be awesome!!! All the interesting fun people will be there, they will have steroids , they'll be devil girls in short skirts serving margaritas..

Hell is good
    I am there, make me a reservation

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I am there, make me a reservation
    Sorry we JUST ran out of my spaces AMAZING coincidence huh??

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i have seat reserved already.

MAJOR25 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinandrews7
    I am LDS and go to church..actually thinking about going on a mission

im guessing "latter day saint"

That's right....

any One Here An Lds......?

Teabagger is offline Senior Member
    Practicing Roman Catholic.............

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    You cant prove evolution by science or math...just theories, but if it doesnt exist how did we get here>? Just a thought!
    You cant prove ANY scientific theory. Everything is just theories.

But dont confuse theory in the sense scientist use it with how the avarage joe uses the world theory.

Quantum mechanics is "just" a theory, theory of relativity is "just" a theory.
    Evolution is "just" a theory in the same sense as relativity and quantum mechanics.

None of those can be proven right.

How do you prove evolution? It is the theory of evolution.

So you are telling me that one day something exploded and then everything just perfectly fell into place and then life evolved into what we have now?

My point is you cant PROVE either theory. I for one choose to believe that a supreme being created us. I respect everyones beliefs, I just want to make it clear to you that we cannot prove either one as they are just theories.

As for Jesus walking on water or Moses separating the Red Sea...of course I cant prove it, but thats what faith is. It is believing on something you cannot see nor prove.
    Well you cant prove a theory but you can test it. With evolutionary theory you can possibly predict what kind of spieces would be in a specific environment and those kinds of things. Then you go and check and if they are there it gives support to evolution.

You cant do anything similar with the belife in god. You can predict nothing by assuming there is a god. But you can predict a whole lot of things with a scientific theory. A religion isnt falsifiable either but scientific theories are. So I dont se why you would even put a belife next to a scientific theory and claim they are equaly valid.

To answere the original question though

Im a agnostic but Im a bit drawn to buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    You cant prove ANY scientific theory. Everything is just theories.

But dont confuse theory in the sense scientist use it with how the avarage joe uses the world theory.

Quantum mechanics is "just" a theory, theory of relativity is "just" a theory.
    Evolution is "just" a theory in the same sense as relativity and quantum mechanics.

None of those can be proven right.

I completely understand that. My point was, just as you stated, a theory is a theory, they cannot be proven. Quietstorm was saying that he doesnt believe in anything that cant be proven by science or math. Then I asked him if he believed in evolution, and he said yes. Then I explained to him that evolution is a theory, and thus cannot be proven by science or math. It is simply a believe bestowed upon us by Charles Darwin, and it snowballed over time. Just a creationism is a believe bestowed upon us by the Bible and has snowballed over time. Both theories, both cannot be proven or disproven. BTW, Darwin refuted his discoveries in the latter part of his life.

I completely understand that. My point was, just as you stated, a theory is a theory, they cannot be proven. Quietstorm was saying that he doesnt believe in anything that cant be proven by science or math. Then I asked him if he believed in evolution, and he said yes. Then I explained to him that evolution is a theory, and thus cannot be proven by science or math. It is simply a believe bestowed upon us by Charles Darwin, and it snowballed over time. Just a creationism is a believe bestowed upon us by the Bible and has snowballed over time. Both theories, both cannot be proven or disproven. BTW, Darwin refuted his discoveries in the latter part of his life.
    But you seem to miss my point. You try to diminish the value of science by saying a theory is just a theory. The fact that no theory can be proven is of no consequens to real life, its just a philosophical issue.
    Because even though quantum mechanics for instance can not be proven it still means all of modern technology would not work if it was wrong.

You can not put creationism on equal terms with evolution by just stating neither can be proven. It would be the same as putting the heliocentric belife on equal fotting to modern cosmology. Its laughable at best.

Creationism is a bunch of superstition that does nothing to further human knoweledge, it predicts nothing and explains nothing. Its bastard child intelligent design tries to pass itself of as science but the entire scientific community just laughs at it. No biologist even wants to get into a debate about it because it would grant some kind of validity to the theory. That is how low the oppinion about ID and creationism is among serious scientists.

Evolution is as firmly placed in biology as relativity is in physics. Its used in research all the time. It has proven its accuracy time and again.
    Just about no expert think evolution is wrong. The only serious debate about evolution is about its finer points. Not about it beeing true or not. So its NOT simply a belife. It is such a solid scientific theory that there is NO chanse that it is completely wrong. It might be changed since all scientific theories are evolving. But evolution is for all intents and purposes real and happening. There are even examples of observed speciation!

The only people that do not belive in evolution is religious people. Its kind of a more peacefull repeat of the unwillingness to accept that the earth isnt in the center of the universe.

Saying creationism is equal to evolution is a flat out insult to the entire scientific community. Creationism ISNT a theory. Not in the sense that scientists use the word theory. A scientific theory HAS to be falsifiable. Creationism isnt and neither is intelligent design.

I have respect for all religions and people following religions. But when religious belifes try to pass itself of as science that I will never accept. Religious has its realm of dominance, faith, spirituality and all that. Science deals with facts. Mixing the two isnt a good idea because whenever it happens science makes a fool out of religion.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Practicing catholic, I dont accept everything I am told to believe but I will say one thing for every bad thing someone says about christianity something good can be said. If nothing else christianity does have some good morals to it which can help out anyone's life. For example respecting your parents. Do I agree with everything that has been done in the name of god not at all, however this is not strictly held to christianity. Muslim faith calls for war against those who do not believe there faith and christians waged the crusades. I would never force my faith on anyone but christianity has brought something to my life so as long as it brings something to my life and makes me a better person then that is what matters to me.

tiger909 is offline Senior Member
    im an agnostic deist, i think

im leaving religion slowly, but i still believe in a higher being
    by name i am still a muslim who goes to the mosque 2x/month

Hunter is offline Grateful
    on a side note, I would really rather have someone stick to there beliefs(religion) then everytime something bad happens be a e.r christian/muslim/jew etc

tiger909 is offline Senior Member
    whats er ?

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    But you seem to miss my point. You try to diminish the value of science by saying a theory is just a theory. The fact that no theory can be proven is of no consequens to real life, its just a philosophical issue.
    Because even though quantum mechanics for instance can not be proven it still means all of modern technology would not work if it was wrong.

You can not put creationism on equal terms with evolution by just stating neither can be proven. It would be the same as putting the heliocentric belife on equal fotting to modern cosmology. Its laughable at best.

Creationism is a bunch of superstition that does nothing to further human knoweledge, it predicts nothing and explains nothing. Its bastard child intelligent design tries to pass itself of as science but the entire scientific community just laughs at it. No biologist even wants to get into a debate about it because it would grant some kind of validity to the theory. That is how low the oppinion about ID and creationism is among serious scientists.

Evolution is as firmly placed in biology as relativity is in physics. Its used in research all the time. It has proven its accuracy time and again.
    Just about no expert think evolution is wrong. The only serious debate about evolution is about its finer points. Not about it beeing true or not. So its NOT simply a belife. It is such a solid scientific theory that there is NO chanse that it is completely wrong. It might be changed since all scientific theories are evolving. But evolution is for all intents and purposes real and happening. There are even examples of observed speciation!

The only people that do not belive in evolution is religious people. Its kind of a more peacefull repeat of the unwillingness to accept that the earth isnt in the center of the universe.

Saying creationism is equal to evolution is a flat out insult to the entire scientific community. Creationism ISNT a theory. Not in the sense that scientists use the word theory. A scientific theory HAS to be falsifiable. Creationism isnt and neither is intelligent design.

I have respect for all religions and people following religions. But when religious belifes try to pass itself of as science that I will never accept. Religious has its realm of dominance, faith, spirituality and all that. Science deals with facts. Mixing the two isnt a good idea because whenever it happens science makes a fool out of religion.
    well said bro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information