View Poll Results: How old is too old to be living at home?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll

7 14.29%

4 8.16%

5 10.20%

4 8.16%

5 10.20%

7 14.29%

5 10.20%

0 0%

1 2.04%

11 22.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    i don't know about the rest but i live at home.. but i've been working and paying my way since 13

I pay for everything in my life.. (school; food;clothes; transportation; bodybuilding etc) as well as covering some of the bills of the household ...as well as contributing to the maintenance of the household

Personally i see no problem with someone living at home if they are a contributing member.. easing the overall strain that maintaining a household causes. Also i think it's imperative that said inidividual has a goal.. as opposed to solely living at home for convenience (not judging anyone by the way.. just my personal opinion)

My girlfriend just finished her undergrad degree and is working fulltime.. The plan we have is to live home for another year til i finish my undergrad.. then marry.. move into and rent an apartment from her mum.. work for another year then move to canada to do our masters degree together.. maybe work there for 2-5 years and return to Barbados (depending on how she acclimates to Canada)

I've digressed from the point tho.. which was.. i don't think there's an exact age per se that's 'too old' to be at home.. It'd depend on the individual circumstance. I know students 32 years old..living at home as means to an end.. Living alone plus the student loans etc would be a step backward imo.

Nark

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    Like Frankie said why the hell would you want to move out when you can. 1) Save hella loot and 2) Spend quality time with mom and pops before they grow old and die. oh and not have to spend a dime on rent.

The only flaw I have at living at home is bringing girls home late at night. I have to sneak them in or else I have to get a hotel.

KNock it down all you want, but I say this deal ain't too shabby.
    I have my own place and have for the longest time - even though the BF lives at home, and my last boyfreind did as well i never had issues with stayin over there.

Sure if it's a different chick every nite it is disprespectful - but the parents never minded , as long as it was the same girl (me)

Teabagger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by italianplayboy09
    STFU dummy
    What ya gonna do? Tell Mommy and have her yell at me!! I speak as one of those parents. I was out on my own at 18...nobody gave me shit. Now all these years later after busting my ass, making sacrifices, etc...I want my kids out!! Heres a clue for mommas boys....you really are not missed. There is a sigh of relief when you freeloaders get the hell out and we don't have to powder your asses anymore. Grow up for Christs sake. Like I said, try strapping on some self respect, manning up, and getting on with the rest of your life and give your parents...who more than deserve it...a chance to be alone and enjoy each other again without your continuing infantile interruptions, needs, demands, expectations, or anything else.

Heres another News Flash for you....by the time you are 18 you are no longer the center of your parents universe...so Italianplayboy why don't you unlatch from mommas tit, throw away your diaper and nuk nuk and stand up like a man...if not..then you STFU!!

Mizfit is offline Banned
    In Toronto - peple of European backgroudns generally live at home till marriage - from my expeirence.

It's not unuusal

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    That's totally an off the wall question, because it so totally depends on the individual, their relationship with their parents growing up, their relationship with their parents NOW, and their life/career choice!!!

1. If you're in school, then I don't see ANY reason why it's a negative, for however long it takes, which THESE days, as long as it does take, could lead right into the mid to late 20's, and anyone who thinks you can have a GOOD job and still attend school full-time is insane.

2. There is no 2, I'm just pissed at some of the young ages people are stating, it's B.S., not to mention, if the parents are older, they tend to need you around the house, and it becomes a symbiotic relationship.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    That's totally an off the wall question, because it so totally depends on the individual, their relationship with their parents growing up, their relationship with their parents NOW, and their life/career choice!!!

1. If you're in school, then I don't see ANY reason why it's a negative, for however long it takes, which THESE days, as long as it does take, could lead right into the mid to late 20's, and anyone who thinks you can have a GOOD job and still attend school full-time is insane.

2. There is no 2, I'm just pissed at some of the young ages people are stating, it's B.S., not to mention, if the parents are older, they tend to need you around the house, and it becomes a symbiotic relationship.
    AGREED.

But i think what has to be taken into consideration is geogrpahic location and background.

In some societys and culutres its more acceptable.

Toronto it is totalyl accepted

And for those of you who moved out at a very early age (under 18), your parents either did a bad job raising you, or your relationship with them was non-existent (maybe for a valid reason, or maybe you were just an asshole as a child/teen).

Well that sounded harsher than intended. This is more directed to the ones who were forced out by their parents for whatever reason, as mentioned above, their relationships were troublesome (valid or not).
    Last edited by Terinox; 09-23-2006 at 08:09 PM.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    your never to old to live at home.As long as you help with all teh bills and are saving money for a home of your own.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    And for those of you who moved out at a very early age (under 18), your parents either did a bad job raising you, or your relationship with them was non-existent (maybe for a valid reason, or maybe you were just an asshole as a child/teen).

Well that sounded harsher than intended. This is more directed to the ones who were forced out by their parents for whatever reason, as mentioned above, their relationships were troublesome (valid or not).
    I wasn't horrible - just bad circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    I wasn't horrible - just bad circumstances.
    Well unfortunetly, yes, there are some circumstances which result in unforseen results, many of which could be negative and forced or whatever, so it's quite unfortunate.

Hopefully the circumstances weren't too bad/harsh.

Beefyman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Personally i see no problem with someone living at home if they are a contributing member..

Nark
    .... reminds me of a few years ago... sit on my ass all day, lift/cardio, sleep, eat, work little, extra hugs and kisses for my mommy

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    If your parents are fine with you living at home then, why not? I mean i pay for my food,supps,clothes, cell phone but everything else is done by them . Culture plays a major role in leaving the house as well IMO.

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    If my mom had a house that could room my big ass and i could save money i would stay at home,i would do it. unfortunatly my mom is a broke ass and i pay her rent partially, i figured she paid my way for 18 years i guess i could help her out occasionally

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I say 26 for me, but its personal. I will be done school at 24. Plan to stay at home for 1 more year to save up and buy my own place. That way Im out by 25.

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    i moved out when i was 18 then moved back home for 2mths over the summer till i moved to another city i love living with my mom i dont pay for anything i do what i want and she cooked me dinner now i have to do everything on my own

Quote Originally Posted by Teabagger
    What ya gonna do? Tell Mommy and have her yell at me!!:haha: I speak as one of those parents. I was out on my own at 18...nobody gave me shit. Now all these years later after busting my ass, making sacrifices, etc...I want my kids out!! Heres a clue for mommas boys....you really are not missed. There is a sigh of relief when you freeloaders get the hell out and we don't have to powder your asses anymore. Grow up for Christs sake. Like I said, try strapping on some self respect, manning up, and getting on with the rest of your life and give your parents...who more than deserve it...a chance to be alone and enjoy each other again without your continuing infantile interruptions, needs, demands, expectations, or anything else.

Heres another News Flash for you....by the time you are 18 you are no longer the center of your parents universe...so Italianplayboy why don't you unlatch from mommas tit, throw away your diaper and nuk nuk and stand up like a man...if not..then you STFU!!
    why even ask that its the internet. youre too funny . just b/c your kid(s) didnt have any respect for you doesnt mean that everyones dont. my parents actually dont want me to move due to the fact of how much love and respect goes on in the household. it looks like you f*cked up as being a parent if you wanted your kids out that bad. that sucks man you only got one life to live. and like everyone else said i would only be wasting money to move out when im 5 min away from the college i go to, i still pay for my food(whenever im not home for meals), gas, insurance, and clothes so why dont you stop talking out the a$$ b/c you are only coming off as an idiot. lol at "you really are not missed"...speak for yourself

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member

i was a troubled youth and was on my own at the young age of 17. thank god i found the marine corps. it set me right and i still live by its standards today. i have a 21 yo daughter at home, the deal is as long as shes in school and not married, she has a place here.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    i didnt learn the true meaning of paying my way untril i left home,sure i payed board but we know thats nowhere near the same as a mortgage and all the bills that come with it.

there are valuble lessons to be learned about independence which cannot be learned at home.but if your happy or just saving up then good luck.

but moving out in the end is natures way of cutting the cord.

Teabagger is offline Senior Member
    why even ask that its the internet. youre too funny . just b/c your kid(s) didnt have any respect for you doesnt mean that everyones dont. my parents actually dont want me to move due to the fact of how much love and respect goes on in the household. it looks like you f*cked up as being a parent if you wanted your kids out that bad. that sucks man you only got one life to live. and like everyone else said i would only be wasting money to move out when im 5 min away from the college i go to, i still pay for my food(whenever im not home for meals), gas, insurance, and clothes so why dont you stop talking out the a$$ b/c you are only coming off as an idiot. lol at "you really are not missed"...speak for yourself
    It is really funny to read all of the people trying to justify there ways. I should have clarified somewhat, if you're in school, (undergrad) then its ok to live at home while in school. But a time limit has to be placed on it. Kids today think it should take 5, 6,7, or 8 years to get an undergrad degree...bullshit. You got 4 years to get it done...so get it done. I got mine in 2.5 years and graduated Magna Cum Laude. I'm talking to the freeloaders that have jobs, no schools and are just moochers, babies, or whatever. And by the way, my kids and I hava a great relationship and mutual respect. The fact is I love them so much I demand they become mature, independant contributing members of society, not social misfits unable or too weak to stand on their own.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I just think its funny that a few of you posted that its ok i live at home i pay for my food, gas and clothes. Well in your 20's you should be. Yuor not doing anything special. Why dont you pay the water or elecric bill. Or hell part of the mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I just think its funny that a few of you posted that its ok i live at home i pay for my food, gas and clothes. Well in your 20's you should be. Yuor not doing anything special. Why dont you pay the water or elecric bill. Or hell part of the mortgage.
    being a full time student its kind of hard.
    then what would be the point of living at home, it would be the same as moving out

being a full time student its kind of hard.
    then what would be the point of living at home, it would be the same as moving out
    Paying an electric bill isnt anything like moving out.

Also dont act like your a stud because you buy your own clothes and gas. YOU SHOULD.

This reminds of the comedian that was making fun of fathers who brag i take care of my kids. Well asshole you should its not impressive.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    as i stated in a similar thread before
    i proceeded to sell my X5 and 300zx to move the f'ck out of the house. I was looking almost two years to get my dream car 300zx twin turbo with 38k miles absolutely clean, but chose to give up all that and start living a sane life.

I think its based on person's personality if they feel comfartable to live at home when it their upper 20's. I am very independent and absolutely hated when parents would touch my shit, snooping in my room, their voices just drove me crazy and enough was enough. instead of rollin in a nice bimmer and have a weekend garage queen to show off, i chose to rather get a house and bypass all that BS living with the elderly. that shit was just not for me!!!

btw, my relationship with my parents is fine ever since i moved out and i visit them ones a week or so.

Paying an electric bill isnt anything like moving out.

Also dont act like your a stud because you buy your own clothes and gas. YOU SHOULD.

This reminds of the comedian that was making fun of fathers who brag i take care of my kids. Well asshole you should its not impressive.
    you just said to pay a whole list of bills, now its only the electric? . you got me im trying to "act like a stud."

you just said to pay a whole list of bills, now its only the electric?:scratch: . you got me im trying to "act like a stud."
    Apparently that college education is working out well for you. If you read what i said i included the word or in between those bills. That doesn't mean pay all of them it means 1. As the electric OR water.

And just because your comfortable at home do you think how your parents feel. Maybe its not the situation they dreamed of.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Apparently that college education is working out well for you. If you read what i said i included the word or in between those bills. That doesn't mean pay all of them it means 1. As the electric OR water.

And just because your comfortable at home do you think how your parents feel. Maybe its not the situation they dreamed of.
    Why do you like to argue so much???Seems like you just argue to argue....

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    I really respect your story. I know of people who've had it really rough growing up and yet they got up on their own feet and became kindly giving adults who made a better way for their own children. It's a beautiful thing when a person chooses not to be a product of their upbringing. One can't be an echo of their environment, that's a failure of the imagination. I salute you sir! You inspire me.

Quote Originally Posted by captain5214
    i was a troubled youth and was on my own at the young age of 17. thank god i found the marine corps. it set me right and i still live by its standards today. i have a 21 yo daughter at home, the deal is as long as shes in school and not married, she has a place here.

you talk yet you dont read, practice what you preach. if you scroll up you will see what i said about the situation me and my parents have. quick to talk are we? not uncommon for you considering your sole purpose on this site is to analyze and criticize everything carlos e does, surprised you havent mentioned him in here yet. lame my friend

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    you talk yet you dont read, practice what you preach. if you scroll up you will see what i said about the situation me and my parents have. quick to talk are we? not uncommon for you considering your sole purpose on this site is to analyze and criticize everything carlos e does, surprised you havent mentioned him in here yet. lame my friend
    Him analyze,No way.....

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Totally circumsatial. I was out at 18 for school. It taught me a lot and made it a lot easier gettin ass. Liven at home was ok, my parents were cool, but I was already mad independent and I needed to check out a different city.

If you read my post above i said i stayed home to i was 25 also. I said i dont mean any offense to anyone just playing devils advocate.

Yes its fun to debate things. Everything has two sides.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    [QUOTE=captain5214]i was a troubled youth and was on my own at the young age of 17. thank god i found the marine corps. it set me right and i still live by its standards today. i have a 21 yo daughter at home, the deal is as long as shes in school and not married, she has a place here.[/QUOTE]

I almost got teary eyed reading that, you have made a hell of a come around thanks to the Marine corps and your own values. I can probably tell your daughter is daddy's girl (in case anyone doesn't understand this, his daughter probably thinks the world of "her dad") How long were you in the Marines?

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    It depends on which country you live in. For example it is common to live with you parents even until you are married in Japan where many Americans get out and live alone right after high school or college. I left at 18.

I just wish i actually saved some of the money i pissed away because i had no real bills while living at home. Me and my girl probably pissed 50k away in 2 years. Its sad. And it makes me sick to think about it now.

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    I left at 18 and never moved back. Finished university, bought me a house on the beach, and have no plans of ever moving back.. My parents are happy and healthy, and they dont need me around. My dad and I get along great, as long as we dont spend too much time around eachother.. Working together or living together, its a constant war.

I guess age would depend on circumstance, I was luckty, I had a family that planmned for my future, so my education was paid and there was a nice downpayment on a house waiting for me after I finished school. Not everyone is so lucky.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I got my own place at 18.

When I get kids and they grow up I will hopefully expect them to find there own place when they are finished with high school. Its good to learn quickly to value every damn cent to make things go around.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I sometimes feel down because i am 25 and still at home.

Parents are SUPER cool. I have a typical italian mom that has that need to do EVERYTHING for you. If my room gets messy and i am tried i am like F*** it i will clean it tomorrow when i get home from work. I come home the next day to a clean room. For some reason it kind of bothers me now. I would rather her leave it dirty and i will clean it myself. I have lived on my own only for a year when i was 19 but then started school. I couldn't afford school and living on my own. I am in my last class of school and i feel like i HAVE to move out. Again i like living her but i think i need it as a wake up call. Also, it would be nice to have your own place to take chicks back to

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    I sometimes feel down because i am 25 and still at home.

Parents are SUPER cool. I have a typical italian mom that has that need to do EVERYTHING for you. If my room gets messy and i am tried i am like F*** it i will clean it tomorrow when i get home from work. I come home the next day to a clean room.
    For some reason it kind of bothers me now. I would rather her leave it dirty and i will clean it myself. I have lived on my own only for a year when i was 19 but then started school. I couldn't afford school and living on my own. I am in my last class of school and i feel like i HAVE to move out. Again i like living her but i think i need it as a wake up call. Also, it would be nice to have your own place to take chicks back to
    i know exactly what youre talking about its funny you say that

I_AM_HE is offline Banned
    Tea bagger is know ferry with daddy issues...also a big nose.

dan991 is offline Anabolic Member
    I moved out on my 18th B-Day. Prior to that, I bought everything I wanted on my own with my own money from my own job. My parents would buy me whatever I needed to go to school. But, if I wanted "designer" clothes, it was one me. I wanted a car, it was on me. Everything I bought above and beyond what was required to go to school I had to get on my own. They didn't do it to be assholes though. My parents have money, but they are immigrants and came here with "nothing" as which I'm sure some of you know how that story goes. So to teach me, I had it rough to learn how to make it on my own. I'm glad they did it though. It was however my choice to move out and they were shocked I did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information