SuperLift is offline Senior Member

Subwoofer confusion

Hey guys whats up. I have an '05 Yukon and im just tryin to hook it up with a sick sound system. I really dont know much about car sterios, or any sterios for that matter. What is the difference between a 2-ohm sub and a 4-ohm sub?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on what to get? Not trying to win any shows, just have some nice bass. Thanks!

Kristopher22 is offline Associate Member
    2 Ohm vs 4 Ohm..... Some sort of resistance rating... However, when you do buy your gear, make sure you dont get stuck buying the stuff they sell at walmart and whatnot. Even though you are not looking for competition, you can really buy alot of crap these days. I used to love Rockford Fosgate, but like alot of companies they now put out alot of mass produced garbage! Big truck though..... Fill it with speakers! hahaha

Pro_built7 is offline Member
    volfenhag, kicker, atlas hifonics are all good brands

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperLift
    Hey guys whats up. I have an '05 Yukon and im just tryin to hook it up with a sick sound system. I really dont know much about car sterios, or any sterios for that matter. What is the difference between a 2-ohm sub and a 4-ohm sub?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on what to get? Not trying to win any shows, just have some nice bass. Thanks!
    go to tweeter or some other shop/store that specializes in car audio....tell them you want a JL 10W7....this one sub will be all the bass youll ever need bro...by the way,have them install everything you can really mess a lot of shit up inlcuding yourself..

odix is offline Member
    take it like this, the lower the ohm, the better the sub, the more power it can handle, same with an amp.

When you buy a sub, if you buy a 2ohm sub, make sure your amplifier is stable at 2 ohms or lower(if you hjave a 2 ohm sub), a lot of the cheap ones are not and you will/can blow your amp/sub. the standard for all subs/amps is 4 ohms, and like I said the best gear can handle 1 ohm stable.

Also, do not look at your max output of your amp and compare it to your sub, look at your amps RMS rating(what it continually puts out) and compare that to your sub, then when you hook everything up i recommend bridging your wires to double your amps output(look it up ;]).

I know a lot about this shit so feel free to ask me anything, my dream setup would be 2 Kicker Solo Baric L7 with 2 1200 watt kicker mono class D amps(stable at 1 ohm). The amps are $800 a piece tho and the subs close to that(if i remember right).

Oh ya, if you want good sound, get a regular box, if you want your neighbors to feel you, get a sealed plexiglass box.

odix is offline Member
    a jl 10w7 as in 10 inches ? If i was to buy one sub it would have to be a JL 15" W7, if it was two it would be 12" kickers square subs.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I got a huge box with 2x12 subs sitting behind me here, i have thought about selling them and the two amps.

The subs are Rockford Fosgate Punch and the amps are Pioneer (mids) and Kenwood (bass)
    ***No source checks!!!***

pwerfll1 is offline Banned
    runnin 2 sony x-plode 10"s and a sony 600watt amp in my jeep got a ton of bass

nate4796 is offline Junior Member
    Depending on what you are trying to spend i would say that MA Audio is the way to go. Unless you have an unlimited amount of money to spend on JL you get great quality at a good price with them. If you want something really loud you can get 2 of their MA12D4 subs and the HK1398 amp.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    You wanna really pound? Go with a Resonant Engineering XXX. That or an adhire brahma. You'll only need one.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher22
    2 Ohm vs 4 Ohm..... Some sort of resistance rating... However, when you do buy your gear, make sure you dont get stuck buying the stuff they sell at walmart and whatnot. Even though you are not looking for competition, you can really buy alot of crap these days. I used to love Rockford Fosgate, but like alot of companies they now put out alot of mass produced garbage! Big truck though..... Fill it with speakers! hahaha
    buy off ebay, i got my pioneers for 20 bucks each brand new (shipping was only like another 20) and till this day they still pump loud as shit.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    and i should note bass is bass. you really wont be much happier if you get a couple of 12's compared to a couple of 8's.
    Its only a car, not a club, sometimes its real easy to overdo it with car systems and buy a whole bunch of shit you dont need.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I agree with BO, you don't need much. I have a 12w6 in a ported box and it's overkill. The sub should blend with your highs. Get a JL10w3 and throw it in a sealed box with a solid 250 watts. You'll find this combo on ebay for around 300 bucks.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    I have 1 JL 10 and it makes the system sound A LOT better. I don't like to "bang" or "bump" like the 16-year olds.

odix is offline Member
    my friend has 4 18" kickers in a box, two on top two on the side, hooked up to two kciker 1200 class d mono amps, and an extra 9v battery, with kicker mids and a dvd deck sitting in an old k5 blazer. wow. thats about a $5000 system.

Sepsis is offline Member
    everyone i know swears by JL, and yes 1 10w7 would probably be enough for you.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    First of all. What is your budget. The last time that I put a system together I easily spent at least $2,000 on 2x15 Rockford fosgate speakers. Two amps, one 700x2 for the 15" and this was a Zeus Hifonics. The other amp was to run the tweeters and mids. I also had a crossover and a bunch of other shit to make it sound nice. For a truck that big you need at least twox12 or 15" speakers to make the bass hit hard. Then again you need money for this too.

Thread Information