mr_man is offline Associate Member

Wood for a privacy fence?

I want to build a privacy fence. I do not want to use panels; I want to build it from scratch. I know that some woods are better in different climates and states. I was wondering if anyone would happen to know what would be the best wood to use in mid Oklahoma?

Rye_guy is offline Member
    I buit a nice privacy fence last summer, I bought pre fabbed pannels from windsor, I got a really good deal on them however, my good buddy was the sales man.

when I was pricing the material I needed, it was more practical to buy a pre fabbed pannels, however, it also depends on the material your using, what kind of wood, how you want it to look etc.

my ground is not flat and so I don't what to have the stair step from the pannel I was wanting to use board by board and take some of the hills out of it.

Sokolhasan is offline Junior Member
    the best wood, and pretty cheap one is red oak in my opinion. Just make sure you stain it and put 2 coats of lakier before it starts to rain

Quote Originally Posted by Sokolhasan
    the best wood, and pretty cheap one is red oak in my opinion. Just make sure you stain it and put 2 coats of lakier before it starts to rain
    I would never use oak, thats way too expensive. not practical at all! use cedar, cheaper and with my fence looked NICE.

and if its not a level ground, I had the same problem in the back yard, i dug up the back of the property, put up cement blocks and put all the dirt n gravel behind it, packed it down well, put post into it and went from there. worked okay, dont mind having a 3 foot wall in the back yard, looks good and goes well with the fire pit.

so long as you can build up that level wall, it wont reall matter how level it is behind it, so long as you get the posts in deep enough and cement them in level. then you can work from there.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    whatcha need a privacy fence for? tell the neighbors to **** themselves

Foskamink is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55
    whatcha need a privacy fence for? tell the neighbors to **** themselves
    yeh dude you rock +1

why thank you foskamink

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    an erectile fence?

maxex is offline Member
    As long as the post are Pressure treated and the panels or pickets dont come in contact with teh ground..it doesnt matter what type of wood you use..as long as you put a couple coats on it. Just make sure that whatever is coming in contact with the ground is treated or the moisture/insects will destroy it. Would hurt to also put termiticide where the fence is going.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    My neighbor on the left is a cop and my neighbor on the right is a detective, needless to say not only do we have full fencing in the back, we have 14 ft shrubs running around the whole perimeter + trees and other shit.

Only because, when we first moved here, my brother went skinni dipping with his gf (with the fence already) and my MALE detective neighbor (who i suspect must be gay) called the fvcking chief of police and the cops came to our house and harassed my brother about indecent exposure or some shit.
    They wound up leaving with just a verbal warning.

So we got the shrubs because even a 6ft fence couldnt keep our nosey ass nieghbors from not having a life.

The following mishief night (i was like 117-18) back than. We collected sheep shit from a local farm and bombed the shit out of his house.

I made it a point to wash my car when he was outside the following day with a hose and broom scrubbing the shit off. Nothing made me happier than just watching his pathetic ass scrub scrub scrub, and if he felt the intense need to do DNA testing on the shit (because hes a detective and all) it would have traced him back to a herd of sheep lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    My neighbor on the left is a cop and my neighbor on the right is a detective, needless to say not only do we have full fencing in the back, we have 14 ft shrubs running around the whole perimeter + trees and other shit.

Only because, when we first moved here, my brother went skinni dipping with his gf (with the fence already) and my MALE detective neighbor (who i suspect must be gay) called the fvcking chief of police and the cops came to our house and harassed my brother about indecent exposure or some shit.
    They wound up leaving with just a verbal warning.

So we got the shrubs because even a 6ft fence couldnt keep our nosey ass nieghbors from not having a life.

The following mishief night (i was like 117-18) back than. We collected sheep shit from a local farm and bombed the shit out of his house.

I made it a point to wash my car when he was outside the following day with a hose and broom scrubbing the shit off. Nothing made me happier than just watching his pathetic ass scrub scrub scrub, and if he felt the intense need to do DNA testing on the shit (because hes a detective and all) it would have traced him back to a herd of sheep lol.
    right well you have a good excuse for a fence lol

I did a litle looking around and everyone here at home said western red cedar. But according to the US Forestry Service it says that white cedar is the way to go. Norther white cedar has cells that absorb very little water, it has natural inhibitors to fight off rot and decay. It will shrink less than one percent. does any one have any more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_man
    I did a litle looking around and everyone here at home said western red cedar. But according to the US Forestry Service it says that white cedar is the way to go. Norther white cedar has cells that absorb very little water, it has natural inhibitors to fight off rot and decay. It will shrink less than one percent. does any one have any more ideas?

this would be my pick. you go billy. so what you keepin hidden in yer yard? you people walk around naked in the garden?

Jiesel is offline Associate Member
    why are you using wood? How bout an 8' vinyl, wood look-alike fence....will last forever with 0 maintence

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    Out here we use CEDAR..it lasts the longest & is insect resistant... the cheaper fence is made of spruce but the fence itself usually lasts almost the same amount of time as long as its not touching the ground... make sure you get good quality posts...they will be in the ground & rot long b4 the fence itself does.

Thread Information