lpicken is offline Associate Member

For all Motorcyclists out there: My near death experience!

I have been riding motorcyles on and off all my life, mostly my dad's bikes, until I finally got my own. I am the proud owner of a Suzuki SV-650 and it is a damn fine machine. I have owned it for about a year and I will say that after knowing what the bike is capable of doing, increasing my skills tenfold and being an all round andrelanine freak; I damn near got my self killed yesterday. I was coming up way too fast, about 75-80 mph, on a semi truck carrying a full load of hay on a flatbed going down a two-lane country road. It was a nice flat straight away and I could see for miles in front of the truck and was going to pass it on the left. However, as I got within about a quarter mile of the truck, it decides to turn to left. I thought for sure I was going to be another statistic as I screeched on my brakes. My life basically flashed before my eyes and everything was in slow motion as things are before you crash. Luckily, I was able to stop about 25 feet in front of the truck as it exited the highway. I am normally a very cautious rider and thus far have not had any wrecks, but after that I am going to chill out for a little while. Any other members and had any wrecks or near death experiences on a motorcycle?

i feel ya man, i definately had a few when i had my r6. just look at it as something to learn from. hopefully that will keep you from putting yourself in a more dangerous situation in the future. u have to keep in mind that almost all motorcycle deaths are not the riders fault, its usually the other person. just always expect the unexpected out there.

This dudes the man you can't touch this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5G_ZW0xlvk

aaaa.. there are better ghostriders. ending was funny tho

PeteyK is offline Associate Member
    motorcycles are only dangerous if u crash

scaramouche is offline Senior Member
    u stopped 25 ft away from the truck and thats a near death experience near death is when u hit the truck and it comes to rest with u under it and a huge mofo'in wheel inches from ur chest

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I was chasing a few bikes through cars on a 3 lane highway. I was in the middle lane behind a big truck. I switched to the left lane and the traffic was stopped there. I slammed my brakes and slid my bike sideways. I smashed the side of my bike into the back of a honda. Good thing i lifted my leg up high enough so it wasn't in the middle.

lpicken is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramouche
    u stopped 25 ft away from the truck and thats a near death experience near death is when u hit the truck and it comes to rest with u under it and a huge mofo'in wheel inches from ur chest
    I realize my story probably isn't "Hollywood" enough for you, but I at one point thought I was a goner and was just thankfully to stop in time before smashing in the into the truck. I realize this isn't exactly "near death" who knows if I left a little earlier I might have approached the truck sooner. Anyways, I definently I was spooked and it certainly was a learning experience.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I had a ZX9, a sweet little old lady turned across my lane and we hit head on. Her first words as I lay in the road were "I don't know why I went...I saw you". I was only going about 45 but that was enough to total the bike and result in back surgery for me. 2 years later I lost it on my R1, this time completely my fault, and left the road going over 100 in a curve. Broke my shoulder blade and my left foot got trapped under the bike, my foot caught a root as I was sliding what seemed like forever, and when I finally got out from under the bike my foot was 180 degrees out, coming out the rear of my leg. They saved my foot thanks to a good surgeon and plenty of metal and bolts What really sucked was my R1 crash was in week 10 of a cycle.
    I still ride, back on an R1.
    I'm glad to hear you're ok.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Same situation, passing on the left, as i am at the drivers door, he slams on the brakes (he was going to turn left) and skids into me, i was thrown 197 feet from the point of impact.. ICU for 5 days, bed rest for 30 days... permanent disability from the AF for the rest of my life. lost one toe but they sewed it back on, slight vision impairment and soft muscle damage that took 2 yrs to fix in my back..

know what fixed me?? steroids .. the docs did sight injections every 6 weeks..

who would have thought..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Last summer I came seconds away from death... And it wasnt a near miss either... I was cruising with my ridin buddies down the service road of Sunrise Highway on LI... At the time i owned a 2006 Cbr600rr... And someone else in the pack also had the same bike. Sooo he began telling me that you cannot lift the wheel up because the bike was to weak. Soo the moron that I am proves him wrong... I pick the bike up and keep it up at about 70mph... At the peak of the hill I saw that the road made a sharp turn... but I didnt have enough time. I quckly dropped the wheel to the road and tried to stop. I couldnt keep the bike up so I went down hard. Bike exploded into thousands of peices all over the highway and I slid down the road about 200ft. I quickly got up from the roll and tried to walk across the street... but I couldnt move my right leg... so I sat down... and then the adrenaline wore off and i went into shock. Next thing i remember is my mother hysterical crying over me in the emergency room screaming "Breath!! Please Breath!!" And i took a gasping breath. No white light or nothing... I stopped breathing on the emergency table for about a minute... thanks to the new doctor and is overdosing of morphine. Everything said and done I had no broken bones... Just a collapsed lung... torn ligaments from my pelvis all the way down to my right ankle... My left pinky was pretty much non existent as far as it being useful and I was covered collar bone to ankles in road rash.

Now I own A 2006 GSXR 750 and I think about that experience everytime i get on my bike.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    Same situation, passing on the left, as i am at the drivers door, he slams on the brakes (he was going to turn left) and skids into me, i was thrown 197 feet from the point of impact.. ICU for 5 days, bed rest for 30 days... permanent disability from the AF for the rest of my life. lost one toe but they sewed it back on, slight vision impairment and soft muscle damage that took 2 yrs to fix in my back..

know what fixed me?? steroids .. the docs did sight injections every 6 weeks..

who would have thought..
    damn bro sounds like your a lucky one

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    damn bro sounds like your a lucky one
    part i didn't say..

landed hard on my head.. the back base should have not gotten away with it..

was wearing a full face bell.. tore a grape fruit size hole out of it at the base near the spine..

God has things for me to do..

that was in 1985...i was 24
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Thread Information