Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    swing lo is offline Banned

making 10k a month

Here's my situation:

I joined the Air Force in 2002 only to end up getting out in 2005 due to my mother having cancer with no one to take care of her. 2 weeks after I got out the Air force, she died. Since the Air force was downsizing, I got lucky and didn't have to pay back my enlistment bonus, got an honorable discharge, and got to keep my GI BILL. I only joined the service for school money anyway. So when I got out I enrolled in school and was getting ready to start until my mother died.

The mom died on my 21st birthday in June 05" and on September 05" I landed a job with the government working overseas. So I decided to put school on hold and make some good money for a while. So I've been overseas for the last 2 years and this is what my scenario is looking like at the moment, and this where I need some advice:

I just turned 23 last June and I have over six figures( close to 200k) saved up in an interest collecting fund. By January, I will have an additional 42k saved up. I have taken about 5 online classes with the university of Maryland while I've been out here to add to the year I did with them while stationed in Germany.

My plan was to put the 115k into an account that I can't touch for 3 years or until I finish college. And use the 42k I saved to buy a nice SUV or truck just incase I need to pull the bike or whatever. I already have a 2004 zx-10r that's paid for and planned on using that for commuting to school and back since the gas mileage is great on it and keep the SUV for a rainy day, winter, or when I don't feel like riding. My dad offered me a free place to stay while I attend school in Maryland where he lives. I wanted to take the 42k and buy a nice truck/SUV, some tools, and new wardrobe, and whatever else expenses might arise. Both my bike and what ever truck I decide to get will be paid for and I have my GI BILL to pay for my whole degree.

Now with all that being said, I am having a tough time deciding if I want to quit this current job making in excess of 10k a month tax free or go back to school and complete my B.S. and masters. I'm young and I want be able to make 10k a month in the states which is why I would like to complete my schooling and maybe start a business in the future. Yeah I would be sacrificing a good tax free income but I still wouldn't have an education. I have a GI BILL, place to stay, no debt, perfect credit, so there's no reason why I shouldn't go to school.

I do realize that not everyone needs a degree to make it in life but since I know what it feels like to make in excess of 10k a month, I have gotten used to that lifestyle and want to continue that even if it means taking a pay cut to go to school. Do I keep making 10k a month or go knock my degree out once and for all only to reap better rewards in the end. My degree would be mechanical engineering since I'm all in to cars and shit just to let you all know. Or human resource management, I'll decide later. I have over 6 years of real world experience in the Logistics Field. So I’ll have experience and a degree if I decide to go back to school.

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    Look into starting your own business. you have good credit and cash flow. you can still get your degree while you have someone working and making money for you. go to barnes and nobles in the magazine section and they have a magazine about franchise business and others. It will give you some ideas and tell you things about start ups and so on... good luck

Tesla is offline Member
    In today's computer/internet age, you don't have to quit your job or even move to a certain area to earn a degree anymore. Many schools will let you earn the entire degree online. I'm not talking about low-ranked schools either. I'm talking about some really nice, well-respected universities. Here's just a few:

The University of Massachusetts
    http://www.umassonline.net/Home.html

University of North Carolina Online
    http://online.northcarolina.edu./

University of Washington
    http://www.onlinelearning.washington.edu/ol/

University of North Dakota (has online engineering programs)
    http://www.conted.und.edu/ddp/programs.html

So, there you go. Keep your six-figure job and earn your degree at the same time.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    From personal experiance you would be hard pressed to make that much here in the states with just a BS or even a masters. I have a masters degree and I am working on my doctorate and when i get done I will not start at what your at already. If you want an education by all means do it especially if its payed for. But that tax free income would be like make 160-180 k here in the states. Which not to many people do.
    Your the only one that can determine whats best for you.

good luck

buffgator is offline king of mass
    I would keep working, than buy a house out right. In my opinion having a house paid off is one of the biggest things you can do to live a financialy stress free life.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    From personal experiance you would be hard pressed to make that much here in the states with just a BS or even a masters. I have a masters degree and I am working on my doctorate and when i get done I will not start at what your at already. If you want an education by all means do it especially if its payed for. But that tax free income would be like make 160-180 k here in the states. Which not to many people do.

good luck
    Keep your job. Your crazy if you think you are going to make that kind of money in the US. Its possible if you get a job with a major company. But most cant afford that kid of payroll. And if they can aren't going to pay it for a new hire. It would takes years to get up to that.

The only thing a school is for is to prepare you for a good job which you already have. Its stupid to quit just to say you have a degree.

BTW my friend has a degree and a masters in the same as you and lots of experience. He doesn't make near that.

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry to hear about your mom..
    i would keep your job man, is it awful or something? for that kind of cash i would do just about anything. no lawman, not that....i mean anything decent.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    dude keep the job your chances of finding a job that pays this much in the US is slim to none. Btw what to do you?

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Keep stacking until 25, then hit college, if for some reason college doesnt work like it doesnt for most, youll have almost 500G in the bank to start a business or do what ever you like.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    The best advice I've ever heard is follow your bliss.
    Last edited by ginkobulloba; 09-04-2007 at 10:12 AM.

The general consensus leads me to believe that I should just go ahead and keep humpin' out here. I'll just go ahead and keep doing school online and keep saving up this dough and maybe start playing with property/real-estate. Thanks for all the helpful feedbakc guys. I do logistics for the DoD for the people who are wondering.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    You gotta do what you think is good for you.

outofthebox is offline Associate Member
    Get your education online man, a degree is a degree so long as it comes from a reputable school. But if you feel like leaving your current job, i'd be happy to fill in your position =)

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Do what's right for you, man. I would just be saving a lot of money so then I could afford to make the wise decision. I also wouldn't buy a new SUV, cars are the worst investment anyone can make. Get an SUV that's a year old or so.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    Since then I have been living in a tropical island, training pretty much all the time and banging asian chicks.

Your my hero. LOL

Superhuman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swing lo
    The general consensus leads me to believe that I should just go ahead and keep humpin' out here. I'll just go ahead and keep doing school online and keep saving up this dough and maybe start playing with property/real-estate. Thanks for all the helpful feedbakc guys. I do logistics for the DoD for the people who are wondering.
    how do you get a job like that? did they approach you while you were in the air force or did you seek it out?

StickNPuck is offline New Member
    I would recommend that you read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. It will help answer your questions, and put you in the right frame of mind. If you like it there are a few other books that he has written that are very good, but this one is my favorite.

Seriously, I read your post and the first thing I thought of was this book. It is for you.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience

good luck

Exactly, you will not be making $10k a month here, I dont care if you got a MBA or what.

I would continue to bank that tax free money, you can always go to school but you can;t always make that kind of money.

Trust me, keep doing what you are doing, school can wait.
    ***No source checks!!!***

^what's the general outline of the book if you don't mid me asking? I knew about the DOD jobs before I got out the Air Force. I seeked it out through networking once I got out. Yes I could save up a ton of cash, buy or start a bar in the phillipines or thailand and live good for the rest of my life but honeslty I'm confused as to what I really want out of life. One thing is for certain, I like making good money and want it to continue to do so for the rest of my life but the question is how. I'm not trying to work overseas in the middle east for the rest of my life. I'm only 23 and even though I've traveled europe already, There's still a ton I'm missing out on. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Exactly, you will not be making $10k a month here, I dont care if you got a MBA or what.

I would continue to bank that tax free money, you can always go to school but you can;t always make that kind of money.

Trust me, keep doing what you are doing, school can wait.

yeah I hear ya man! This is why I post questions like this on public boards because in a way, nobody has any reaon to lie about what they tell you for the most part. I can honestly say that if the majority of the people are saying to stay and keep making th money than I might as well do it.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    yeah I hear ya man! This is why I post questions like this on public boards because in a way, nobody has any reaon to lie about what they tell you for the most part. I can honestly say that if the majority of the people are saying to stay and keep making th money than I might as well do it.

It is an easy decision in your situation because school can wait. Most people go to school in hopes of one day being able to make the kind of money you are making without any degree.

You are in a unique situation, you get to make the cash first and then get the degree later if you so wish.
    ***No source checks!!!***

^True, but I'm just worrying about future endeavors. See even though I will have a welth of experience, A degree woud be the icing on the cake and I would like to evetually end up in the white collar feild. So yes, I will probably stay and keep doing online classes. I basically don't want to give an future employer a reason to say no to me. At least if I have a degree plus the experience, there won't be any reason for them to deny me a job. But in thi world there's alwy' a reason to deny someone.

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    10,000 A month is the salary of a surgeon man ,and in the states it takes alot of education to make 10,000 a month.Sure finishing school is a great idea for something to fall back on but in my opinion 10,000 a month in something to be more then proud of.Sorry to hear about your mother.Does this job pay 10,000 in american currency?If you like living in this foreign country I'd say stay and just come here to visit.

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1
    10,000 A month is the salary of a surgeon man ,and in the states it takes alot of education to make 10,000 a month.Sure finishing school is a great idea for something to fall back on but in my opinion 10,000 a month in something to be more then proud of.Sorry to hear about your mother.Does this job pay 10,000 in american currency?If you like living in this foreign country I'd say stay and just come here to visit.
    good advice.
    the surgeons n i work with make close to 50,000 a month

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank
    sorry to hear about your mom..
    i would keep your job man, is it awful or something? for that kind of cash i would do just about anything. no lawman, not that....i mean anything decent.
    Just cuz people wanna see my wang on the computer and not urs! Jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by cj1capp
    good advice.
    the surgeons n i work with make close to 50,000 a month
    50,000 I thought I was close but I had no idea it was that much.

Yeah surgeons make crazy bank! I'm making chump change compared to them but we all can't go to school for that long. I think I'm going to go ahead and stick it out to see what new opportunities arise from this. I need to go dump some cash into some real estate now from the sounds of it.

Jiesel is offline Associate Member
    your crazy If you leave that Job....unless your a lawyer, some special doctor or are in a sales field I doubt your gonna see close to 10k a month in the states.

Yeah surgeons make crazy bank! I'm making chump change compared to them but we all can't go to school for that long. I think I'm going to go ahead and stick it out to see what new opportunities arise from this. I need to go dump some cash into some real estate now from the sounds of it.
    There you go stay at your current job invest in real estate and other longterm investments,retire at 45 and live off investments.Good luck and make the best of it people would do the unthinkable to be in your shoes like myself.

johnmacdan is offline Associate Member
    I read once that only 1% of the US population makes $100K per year. Don't know if that has changed, but I have multiple degrees and don't crack the type of money you are making. College to me was always a way to get to the money. If I could go back and make that type of money without school then I would do it in a heartbeat.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    if i were you , i would keep that job you have and save until you can't do it anymore. Take like 1 class or 2 a semester.

^1 or 2 a semester sounds do-able

gooer is offline Associate Member
    keep the job. you are going to need a shitload of schooling, hard work, and luck to get to a position where you are going to be making that kind of money again.

i would recommend keeping the job for at least 5 years, saving up money, maybe getting a degree online (because that's important to you). Also trucks are cool but 42,000 is not a sound investment, that's only gonna depreciate. maybe lease?

of course if there are external factors (wanting to be closer to family, girlfriend, etc.) that's a whole different story.

Tesla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmacdan
    I read once that only 1% of the US population makes $100K per year. Don't know if that has changed, but I have multiple degrees and don't crack the type of money you are making. College to me was always a way to get to the money. If I could go back and make that type of money without school then I would do it in a heartbeat.
    I totally agree. I have an MBA and don't make anywhere near $100k per year.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla
    I totally agree. I have an MBA and don't make anywhere near $100k per year.

Thats really messed up..I mean honestly. At that point you've invested at least 5 years into school (maybe 6)... If you went to school and lived on campus your at the minimum 60-80k in debt. To get out and not be earning 6 figures just isnt acceptable to me. Its really ashame....

nbkandrew13 is offline Member
    make hay while the sunshines keep working you can go to school anytime, work till your 28 minimum then youll have what 750k dont go blowing money you have a car and a bike dont spend money like its water you dont know what the next 30 years will bring. your gonna quit a job making 10k net ........ go to school spend 50k plus you yhave no income in school to get out and what make 50k a year......... im tellin you like i told my bro its nice to have that intl business degree and all but that pays 44k a year......... so 7 years ago he came and sold cars for me now hes a manager pulling down 250k.......... you never know what the future holds so hold onto that job

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Umm screw school... if you are making 120k a year tax free then why the hell are you worried about school??? School would be the last thing on my mind at that point, especially since you are being very smart about the way you are collecting interest and investing.

Quote Originally Posted by nbkandrew13
    make hay while the sunshines keep working you can go to school anytime, work till your 28 minimum then youll have what 750k dont go blowing money you have a car and a bike dont spend money like its water you dont know what the next 30 years will bring. your gonna quit a job making 10k net ........ go to school spend 50k plus you yhave no income in school to get out and what make 50k a year......... im tellin you like i told my bro its nice to have that intl business degree and all but that pays 44k a year......... so 7 years ago he came and sold cars for me now hes a manager pulling down 250k.......... you never know what the future holds so hold onto that job

Yeah when I used to work at Chevy in JAX, FLORIDA, I knew a used car salesman that was making bank like that. I mean he seriously had the gift of gab!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renesis
    Umm screw school... if you are making 120k a year tax free then why the hell are you worried about school??? School would be the last thing on my mind at that point, especially since you are being very smart about the way you are collecting interest and investing.

Honestly I am worried about school because if this job were to end right now, I would still have a job but not this kind of money. Don't get me wrong, with my experience, I can find a decent salary especially since I'm single with no kids but I still want the sheepskin for piece of mind.

But yeah Ima go ahead and stay out here for a good minute and soak up these monetary figures at a vast rate.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    if you have an MBA and aren't making close to 100k/year, your not investing in the right areas.
    My dads a dentist and makes close to 500K/year, honestly, 120K/year really is not much when you have a family to raise and kids in college.
    Go to school before its too late....knowledge is power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information