DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Am i being BS'ed from Gas company ?

I called them because i got my first full months bill at my new place and i thought the bill was a little high. The guy on the phone assures me that its not considered a high bill and read of how much usage i used. He states that being on a corner building will raise the usage a little cause you are not "walled in" which i can totally understand.

I didn't understand this part.

I said that i keep my thermostat down to like 65 (i love it cold) and he said that doesn't matter. He said that what matters is the temp on the heater. He said that if the internal temp in the heater is say set to 55 then every time it drops below that from the outside cold it will kick on to keep it at that temp. So i guess explaining that it really doesn't matter/save me money by leaving the indoor thermostat turn down low.

Is this true ?

p.s

Said the bill was based off of a actually reading not an estimation.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 04-09-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    He said that if the internal temp in the heater is say set to 55 then every time it drops below that from the outside cold it will kick on to keep it at that temp.
    I've never heard of a furnace turning itself on independant of a thermostat. Seems to me that could be dangerous in some situations . . .

I could see a thermostat having a minimum temperture at which it would automatically turn a furnace on. Your landlord should know if your thermostat works that way. You could Google the model number of your thermostat and see if it has that capability . . .
    -----------------------------

This thermostat:
    http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...7230A1004.html

has a minimum temperture:

Minimum Temperature Setting (F) Thermostat maintains 45 F when dial is set below 59 F.

Evidently, when you set it below its range of 59 F, it turns on when it gets to 45 F.

I'll bet the issue is with your thermostat . . .
    Last edited by Tock; 04-09-2008 at 10:31 PM.

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    He said that if the internal temp in the heater is say set to 55 then every time it drops below that from the outside cold it will kick on to keep it at that temp. So i guess explaining that it really doesn't matter/save me money by leaving the indoor thermostat turn down low.

Is this true ?
    Not true. The thermostat controls when the furnace fires. There is no such thing as an "internal temperature setting". (I am speaking of a gas-fired forced air furnace... I dont know about boilers if that's what you have).

If it's coming on by itself before reaching the temperature you set on your thermostat, there is a problem.

tadpoleboyy is offline Member
    dude, i have had the same problem. My gas bill ROCKETED, and it happened during a winter month in which no one was present in the house to even use gas (winter break), and we turned that shit down to the lowest setting (55). They gave the exact same reason you just stated. The bill was more than it has ever been with us in the house with the heat on the oven on and hot water and during colder weather. How is that possible?! Ameren is fvcking us. I just got another bill yesterday from those dickheads, stating that we had made a late payment, defaulted on some agreement, and they added 190$ on to the 200$ that was for the month? I have the receipt in front of me stating that i paid it on time... And i looked at all my old bills, the 190$ just comes from nowhere.

Blog Entries
    Yeah i jut dont understand it.

Tock thats a good idea i am going to get the make/model number and do some research on it. My bill just doesn't seem right.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I'll second what Tock and D-unit said. The set point of the thermostat is what signals the furnace to go into a heat cycle.
    Try setting your thermostat from Auto to Off and see if you're still getting heated air. If so, it sounds like your thermostat may have shot the crapper.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware
    By there logic a cooker would turn its self on totally dependant of the thermostat switch (i.e the temp dial on the cooker)

does a cooker heating its self up to 150deg on its own sound right to you?

neither does your bill.....

SaSqUaDgE is offline Senior Member
    yeah my dad worked for gas company i told him about this situation he said totally bs i would let them no cuz they cant do that, he also said maybe things have changed its been 10 years haha , but even to me that dont sound right at all

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    yeah, that doesn't make sense, gas is used when the space is being heated. If your apt isn't hotter than the setting on the thermostat you are saving gas by setting it lower.

I keep my apt 61, and only turn it up if a girl might come over.

Try having tenants where the heat is included, they keep it so warm I swear they must walk around in their underwear. If it gets too hot maybe they open a window instead of turning it down.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    The only situation where this is the case I can think of, in high end bathrooms they put radient heat in the foor so the floor is warm when you walk across it on a cold morning. This doesn't use a whle lot of energy and doesn't really heat the space though.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Thats a hot water heater he is talking about not the furnace. Is your hot water heater gas too?

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    yeah, that doesn't make sense, gas is used when the space is being heated. If your apt isn't hotter than the setting on the thermostat you are saving gas by setting it lower.

I keep my apt 61, and only turn it up if a girl might come over.

Try having tenants where the heat is included, they keep it so warm I swear they must walk around in their underwear. If it gets too hot maybe they open a window instead of turning it down.
    I made that mistake for 1 year. They went on a Spring Break and left the heat running at 70.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Thats a hot water heater he is talking about not the furnace. Is your hot water heater gas too?
    Maybe it was the water heater. I do have a gas water heater as well. Even if that is the case i have the water heater set to "warm" not hot.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 04-10-2008 at 04:03 PM.

jchopper1 is offline Banned
    maybe its racism cus ur black

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think its BS.

facile is offline Member
    something doesn't sound right.

DSM where do you live that you think 65 is cold?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by facile View Post
    something doesn't sound right.

DSM where do you live that you think 65 is cold?
    Philadelphia. I would say that 65 is more room temp for me, others call it cold and call me crazy. Personally cold would be more like 30.

BTW

I am having a hell of a time trying to find this thing. The model number is mi30t6en10.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    65? My god I would pass out I keep mine on 59 while I'm awake and then don't even usually run it unless it gets near freezing A heavy cover and big hairy george next to me keeps both of us warm

Thread Information