Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boots555 View Post
    Both liberal and Conservative scholars agree that Christ was a real person and died on the cross.
    That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.

However, if you were to expand your acquaintance with theologians, you would discover that quite a few take Jesus as a fictitious figure, and not as a historical one.

http://home.inu.net/skeptic/exist.html
    Was Jesus of Nazareth a real historical person? Today, we cannot give a positive yes or no answer to this question. But after studying the evidence it becomes highly plausible that, as portrayed in the New Testament gospels, Jesus of Nazareth, hereinafter referred to as Jesus, is a myth and nothing more. It is reasonable to speculate, however, that somewhere in the eastern Mediterranean region of two thousand or more years ago a talented young leader appeared preaching what was for those days a radical doctrine. Although he in no way resembled the Jesus of the New Testament, he well might have provided the inspiration for him, i.e., the kernel of truth out of which grew the myth.
    First, it is inconceivable that if a historical Jesus had actually founded a world religion, Christianity, that there should be no contemporary record of his activities. Surely one of the several important Jewish historians active during that period would have at the very least mentioned him. But they remained silent about him - a silence, it should be noted, which speaks volumes. So in our search for Jesus we are restricted to the conflicting depictions of the New Testament gospel writers who are themselves under suspicion by modern Bible scholars2. Surely if such a person as Jesus had in fact existed, the historians of his day would have recorded something of his teachings, his alleged miracles, his doctrines as well as the many other extraordinary events associated with his short life as recorded in the gospels.
    ---- more at the above website ----------------------------------

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

http://www.adelphiasophism.com/gog/gg20.html
    The Fiction Of The gospels

The chief teachings of Jesus, even the phrases and moral sentiments to a great extent, were paralleled in the literature of the time and common to priests of Isis, Serapis, Esmun, Apollo, Mithras, Ormuzd, and Yehouah, as well as wandering Stoic apostles. Not one point in the teaching of Christ was new to the world. The chief doctrinal features of the Christ of the gospels—the birth, death, and resurrection—were familiar myths at the time, and were taken from Paganism.
    Christianity perfectly illustrates ********* in religion. Central ideas pass from age to age, but here and there a refinement is made and occasionally a brekaway gives a novel synthesis of the central tenets.
    The clergy pour scorn on the denial of the historicity of Jesus. Yet, "Did Jesus Ever Live?" is a serious question. People whose historical existence was as certain as the sun to whole ages—Hercules, King Arthur, Homer, William Tell—have proved to be legendary. Adam is a legend, Samson is a legend, Moses and Abraham are legends. If the historicity of Jesus is so certain, where are the indisputable witnesses to it?
    Who wrote the gospels? No one knows. They do not claim to be written by any named authors. They are entitled According to X, where X is Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. They do not claim to be "by Matthew," etc. Even if they professed to be written by definite people, it would not follow that they were. And even if Luke was written by a man called Luke he admits in Luke 1:1-3 that he is not an eyewitness but is writing, as "many" others have done before him, an account of what they have heard about Jesus.
    -------more at website----------------------------------

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post

However, if you were to expand your acquaintance with theologians, you would discover that quite a few take Jesus as a fictitious figure, and not as a historical one.

Was Jesus of Nazareth a real historical person? Today, we cannot give a positive yes or no answer to this question. But after studying the evidence it becomes highly plausible that, as portrayed in the New Testament gospels, Jesus of Nazareth, hereinafter referred to as Jesus, is a myth and nothing more. It is reasonable to speculate, however, that somewhere in the eastern Mediterranean region of two thousand or more years ago a talented young leader appeared preaching what was for those days a radical doctrine. Although he in no way resembled the Jesus of the New Testament, he well might have provided the inspiration for him, i.e., the kernel of truth out of which grew the myth.
    First, it is inconceivable that if a historical Jesus had actually founded a world religion, Christianity, that there should be no contemporary record of his activities. Surely one of the several important Jewish historians active during that period would have at the very least mentioned him. But they remained silent about him - a silence, it should be noted, which speaks volumes. So in our search for Jesus we are restricted to the conflicting depictions of the New Testament gospel writers who are themselves under suspicion by modern Bible scholars2. Surely if such a person as Jesus had in fact existed, the historians of his day would have recorded something of his teachings, his alleged miracles, his doctrines as well as the many other extraordinary events associated with his short life as recorded in the gospels.

The chief teachings of Jesus, even the phrases and moral sentiments to a great extent, were paralleled in the literature of the time and common to priests of Isis, Serapis, Esmun, Apollo, Mithras, Ormuzd, and Yehouah, as well as wandering Stoic apostles. Not one point in the teaching of Christ was new to the world. The chief doctrinal features of the Christ of the gospels—the birth, death, and resurrection—were familiar myths at the time, and were taken from Paganism.
    Christianity perfectly illustrates ********* in religion. Central ideas pass from age to age, but here and there a refinement is made and occasionally a brekaway gives a novel synthesis of the central tenets.
    The clergy pour scorn on the denial of the historicity of Jesus. Yet, "Did Jesus Ever Live?" is a serious question. People whose historical existence was as certain as the sun to whole ages—Hercules, King Arthur, Homer, William Tell—have proved to be legendary. Adam is a legend, Samson is a legend, Moses and Abraham are legends. If the historicity of Jesus is so certain, where are the indisputable witnesses to it?
    Who wrote the gospels? No one knows. They do not claim to be written by any named authors. They are entitled According to X, where X is Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. They do not claim to be "by Matthew," etc. Even if they professed to be written by definite people, it would not follow that they were. And even if Luke was written by a man called Luke he admits in Luke 1:1-3 that he is not an eyewitness but is writing, as "many" others have done before him, an account of what they have heard about Jesus.

Thank you Tock.

This dude is sitting here telling me Im going to hell and stuff..geez

I already said, believe what you will and more power to you. But don't sit here acting like its all facts. Cuz its not.

Like I said. Its all about faith, and what you want to make it out to be.

I guess Ill being joining DSM and the millions of other good people in hell.

Party time boys!!!! lol

calling me illogical and saying Im going to hell...

illogical? Rising from the dead is pretty f'n illogical if you ask me...

Thread locked

boots555 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Thank you Tock.

This dude is sitting here telling me Im going to hell and stuff..geez

I already said, believe what you will and more power to you. But don't sit here acting like its all facts. Cuz its not.

Like I said. Its all about faith, and what you want to make it out to be.

I guess Ill being joining DSM and the millions of other good people in hell.

Party time boys!!!! lol

calling me illogical and saying Im going to hell...

illogical? Rising from the dead is pretty f'n illogical if you ask me...

Thread locked

tock has no clue converning modern Scholership.

I wanna put this debate before every one because I believe it is important.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    tock has no clue converning modern Scholership.

I wanna put this debate before every one because I believe it is important.
    It's people like you are the reason I do NOT go to church any more. I have SO much better things to do that listen to someone who's only ambition in life is to try to convert others. You will win no one with this approach. Do you know how many of my friends as a child who came to my church only once because of being bombarded with someone trying to save their soul before walking out the door because they might get struck down by lightning on the way home and their soul would be lost for ever????
    EVERY one of them after being almost forced to say they had accepted Christ as their savior would never return and where probably scarred for life never wanting anything to do with religion.

All bible thumping does is turn people away.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    It's people like you are the reason I do NOT go to church any more. I have SO much better things to do that listen to someone who's only ambition in life is to try to convert others. You will win no one with this approach. Do you know how many of my friends as a child who came to my church only once because of being bombarded with someone trying to save their soul before walking out the door because they might get struck down by lightning on the way home and their soul would be lost for ever????
    EVERY one of them after being almost forced to say they had accepted Christ as their savior would never return and where probably scarred for life never wanting anything to do with religion.

All bible thumping does is turn people away.
    I promise you most who share there faith do it out of love. It is a uncomfortable thing to do. Your right it doesnt make freinds. If what I am saying is true you better believe it. Christ claimed to be God. He validated his confession. He claimed to be the way, the truth, and the life. He claimed to be the way to truth. He claimed to be the truth. If what He said was true you better believe it.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I promise you most who share there faith do it out of love. It is a uncomfortable thing to do. Your right it doesnt make freinds. If what I am saying is true you better believe it. Christ claimed to be God. He validated his confession. He claimed to be the way, the truth, and the life. He claimed to be the way to truth. He claimed to be the truth. If what He said was true you better believe it.
    How many stalkers, psychos and molesters say they did it out of love?

I like the idea of teach dont preach. Forcing someone even out of love is 100% not right.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    How many stalkers, psychos and molesters say they did it out of love?

I like the idea of teach dont preach. Forcing someone even out of love is 100% not right.

Not many. Psychos and stalkers are not doing it out of love. They dont care about the other person but are only reacting to there feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post

Talk I am talking about top scholars, the majority of scholarship, and the greatest theologian of our time. They all agree Christ was a real person. There is no other explanation for the incredible rise and spreading Christian faith. i suggest you read N.t. Wright probably the greatest living New testament theologian.

Thread Information