n4529359 is offline Associate Member

Anxiety and weight training??

Lately i have been getting anxiety , and a few bad anxiety attacks that are just plain ****ed up. After searching this board i noticed it is fairly common and a few people on this board have a problem. After reading that anxiety is related to a somatic response in which your body releases to much adrenaline (an out of place survival mechanism) or somthing to that effect : do you think its possible that weight training may increase this out of place response?

conehead is offline Junior Member
    weight training helps me wit my anxiety .its all to do with your breathing man ,try an get that sorted an itll b ok

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I get the opposite effect as well.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Opposite here also.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by n4529359 View Post
    Lately i have been getting anxiety , and a few bad anxiety attacks that are just plain ****ed up. After searching this board i noticed it is fairly common and a few people on this board have a problem. After reading that anxiety is related to a somatic response in which your body releases to much adrenaline (an out of place survival mechanism) or somthing to that effect : do you think its possible that weight training may increase this out of place response?
    well, Even though the fight or flight pathways "could" be stimulated while weight training...

when you come home, and eat or relax......or even if you lift in the morning.....The "slow it down" pathways will actually be stimulated.....this pathway digests food, dilates blood vessles, makes you feel good. slows heart rate.

I would hypothosize that lifting would have a positive effect for people with anxiety.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Weight training has been shown to help with depression, but only for a small period of the day [read: during training and post]. It doesn't do anything about the fact that most peoples natural tendencies are to not confront issues immediately which can be procrastinated. The result of this is that when the time comes when you "relax" you have nothing occupying the brain, and those issues are then confronted.

I get anxiety attacks probably 1-2 times a day, I have to take ambien to sleep and use some supplement called Phenubut during the day to calm myself. Without the ambien I will sit their and panic until 6am when I need to wake up. I have been this way since I was in high school. I find reading is a good way to deal with the anxiety.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    the days when i wanna freak out and feel on edge, a workout brings me down and i feel great.....

nothing like it....

most who mention that are usually doing gear (improperly?)

Pete789 is offline Associate Member
    Of course wieght training does not cause anxiety- it releives it. Endorphones are realsed - makes you feel happy
    Pete

n4529359 is offline Associate Member
    when im in the gym it relaxes me as well i was just thinking that maybe constantly training and lifting heavy weights may help release an adrenal reaction... lol its kinda hard to explain

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    what r u running? EQ interferes with GABA receptors, triggers anxiety.

Thread Information