Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    jsinur7 is offline Member

Why do the big guys in the gym.....

just curious... i am not a big guy, i am 5'10 5' 11" 200 pounds... very little bf... i wanna know what's the deal with guys twice my size working out with such little weights in the gym... i mean why do they look so big or wanna look so big, yet appear so weak? (i know not all) but i mean, i work out with curls doing on average 3 sets of 10-12 with 75-80 pound dumbells, while the big monster dude nexttoo me is doing less with like 45 -60 pound dumbells... same goes with military press bench fly's etc... i dont understand the wanting to look so big if your not really "BIG" or should i say strong... again like i said, i dont mean everyone, and most will kill me on leg press (but i consider the fact they carry around more weight then me all day long everyday) i mean is it an intimidation thing or something? cause personally id rather be a sleeper that can explode then one of these big dudes who when he gets his bluff called by a little guy he falls apart... (AGAIN, I KNOW NOT ALL, But it is quite common)

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    ummmmmm i dunno how to address this.......it's called FORM

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    lol lol lol......They are probably bigger because they actually have good form.....

and if you're talking about db alt curls then there is no way in hell you can do the 80s with good form........even on hammer curls.........that's hella heavy. Or in some cases mind muscle connection......don't necessarily have to use ****in heavy weights to get the muscle fibers activated.......i mean i do both....sometimes my weights are "light" and other times i go insane

typical... if a 200 pound guy can out do you he must have bad form.... sorry bud, but i know what i'm doing... shoulda known i'd get this kinda answer here...guess we know who some of those weak big guys are now...

Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    and if you're talking about db alt curls then there is no way in hell you can do the 80s with good form........even on hammer curls.........that's hella heavy. Or in some cases mind muscle connection......don't necessarily have to use ****in heavy weights to get the muscle fibers activated.......i mean i do both....sometimes my weights are "light" and other times i go insane
    and why is it i cant do that??? ok then... forget i asked... i know what i do and i know what i dont do... just cause you cant, doesnt make me bad form etc...

lex57 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsinur7 View Post
    just curious... i am not a big guy, i am 5'10 5' 11" 200 pounds... very little bf... i wanna know what's the deal with guys twice my size working out with such little weights in the gym... i mean why do they look so big or wanna look so big, yet appear so weak? (i know not all) but i mean, i work out with curls doing on average 3 sets of 10-12 with 75-80 pound dumbells, while the big monster dude nexttoo me is doing less with like 45 -60 pound dumbells... same goes with military press bench fly's etc... i dont understand the wanting to look so big if your not really "BIG" or should i say strong... again like i said, i dont mean everyone, and most will kill me on leg press (but i consider the fact they carry around more weight then me all day long everyday) i mean is it an intimidation thing or something? cause personally id rather be a sleeper that can explode then one of these big dudes who when he gets his bluff called by a little guy he falls apart... (AGAIN, I KNOW NOT ALL, But it is quite common)
    i for one would love to see your 80 lb dumbell curls for 10-12. thats serious weight for dumbell curls. and personally if i could get huge with lighter weights i would love it. less stress on my body equals happier me. when i was younger more weight mattered but not so much for me anymore.

typical... if a 200 pound guy can out do you he must have bad form.... sorry bud, but i know what i'm doing... shoulda known i'd get this kinda answer here...guess we know who some of those weak big guys are now...
    lol not like i'll lie about my weights.......DB alt curls i pretty much don't ever go higher than 55s or 60s......and those i can only do for 6 a side......granted i just came off contest prep but whateva...........hammer curls.....70s maybe, i think my form starts gettin pretty hairy there too though...

oh and i deadlift 585 plus

Quote Originally Posted by lex57 View Post
    i for one would love to see your 80 lb dumbell curls for 10-12. thats serious weight for dumbell curls. and personally if i could get huge with lighter weights i would love it. less stress on my body equals happier me. when i was younger more weight mattered but not so much for me anymore.
    that comes naturally to me because of my job as a proffesional tree climber... i carry around and lift logs all day long everyday... as well as climb...

and why is it i cant do that??? ok then... forget i asked... i know what i do and i know what i dont do... just cause you cant, doesnt make me bad form etc...
    because at 5'10 and 200 you can't conceivably be that strong lol......i guess it's possible but ur legs would like weigh less than ur arms

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Right now Im 270 with low BF, and on my last set of curls im doing 60's?? Who gives a ****??? First off, Im comparing for a competition, and I have already build my base over the years!!! Or perhaps Im doing a few months of light weight?? or maybe I have an injury? Or maybe its my cool down set?? Or maybe I just trained my back, so my bi's are already tired?? If your hating cuz their bigger but lifting lighter, don't bother, we've all done that at one point, and dont forget about genetics!!

that comes naturally to me because of my job as a proffesional tree climber... i carry around and lift logs all day long everyday... as well as climb...
    Hahahah so thats like attempting to compare calves then???

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength View Post
    Right now Im 270 with low BF, and on my last set of curls im doing 60's?? Who gives a ****??? First off, Im comparing for a competition, and I have already build my base over the years!!! Or perhaps Im doing a few months of light weight?? or maybe I have an injury? Or maybe its my cool down set?? Or maybe I just trained my back, so my bi's are already tired?? If your hating cuz their bigger but lifting lighter, don't bother, we've all done that at one point, and dont forget about genetics!!
    true dat

lol not like i'll lie about my weights.......DB alt curls i pretty much don't ever go higher than 55s or 60s......and those i can only do for 6 a side......granted i just came off contest prep but whateva...........hammer curls.....70s maybe, i think my form starts gettin pretty hairy there too though...

oh and i deadlift 585 plus
    i never tried deadlifts, but i bet i would do well considering the log i lift daily... and you can belive i get stares when i am curling... i'm not as strong in many other areas, but like i said i use those muscles all day every day lifting huge logs... i have no reason to lie about how much i lift on an anonymous forum... i'm not as strong in other things like benching with dumbells, i use 100's.. i see the other dudes using more...

because at 5'10 and 200 you can't conceivably be that strong lol......i guess it's possible but ur legs would like weigh less than ur arms
    i've had "retard" strength my whole life... and i am...

Hahahah so thats like attempting to compare calves then???
    i dont understand???

I'm Not hating... if i wanted to big, id let myself get big... I WAS AKING WHY... wich you just helped answered with your maybes... that was the whole point of my question...

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    jsinur i no what your talking about. but when i see the huge guys that dont use heavy weight, atleast in my area and from my own personal vision they always are older.

I'm Not hating... if i wanted to big, id let myself get big... I WAS AKING WHY... wich you just helped answered with your maybes... that was the whole point of my question...
    how do you let yourself get big?..... does it have anything to do with having retard strength?

how do you let yourself get big?..... does it have anything to do with having retard strength?
    i'd eat more... if you follow the other thread on calorie restriction you'd see thats how i live... so wheereas i get stronger, i stay the same size.. very hard compact muscles...

i dont understand???
    Everyone uses their calves daily and for the most part its a strong muscle and a hard muscle to grow.. Your using your arms as much as you use your calves by the sounds of it!

Theres getting big.. and theres getting quality.. Anyone can let themselves "get big"!!!!! Its a science and an art to gain lean muscle and learning how to make your body grow..... How old are you??

Everyone uses their calves daily and for the most part its a strong muscle and a hard muscle to grow.. Your using your arms as much as you use your calves by the sounds of it!
    yes you can say that... espescially with climbing... i let go, gravity is not my friend... good example... i use mine excessively all day everyday... so whereas i am smaller then the big guys, i have alot of strength

Theres getting big.. and theres getting quality.. Anyone can let themselves "get big"!!!!! Its a science and an art to gain lean muscle and learning how to make your body grow..... How old are you??
    in my 30's... but like i said, i am not interested in growing... i was curious as to their methods... thats all... i like being small and strong...

TJM7275 is offline Banned
    Don't know bro.... Kinda wanna see those 80lb dumbell curls myself

i am a bit larger up top... i am at the point that if i dont start working my legs more i am gonna look odd shaped... i'm right on the line....

in my 30's... but like i said, i am not interested in growing... i was curious as to their methods... thats all... i like being small and strong...
    Well as my original post, there are tones of different factors as to why a person may be lifting a "light" weight compared to their size!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJM7275 View Post
    Don't know bro.... Kinda wanna see those 80lb dumbell curls myself
    well i didnt know it was that big a thing.... guess this explains the looks i get doing it... those are on my angry days.... i average using the 70's...

Well as my original post, there are tones of different factors as to why a person may be lifting a "light" weight compared to their size!!
    and it makes sense... thats why i asked...

Quote Originally Posted by 200byjune View Post
    jsinur i no what your talking about. but when i see the huge guys that dont use heavy weight, atleast in my area and from my own personal vision they always are older.
    i think i'll just ask the dudes i see in the gym whats the method to their madness as things get taking the wrong way online... thats not my lifestyle, bodybuilding i mean, so i was curious

i'd eat more... if you follow the other thread on calorie restriction you'd see thats how i live... so wheereas i get stronger, i stay the same size.. very hard compact muscles...
    i know you may find this hard to believe but i dont follow your threads. sorry. so i would know nothing of your caloric intake. you say it so matter of factly like i should know.

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    i think i'll just ask the dudes i see in the gym whats the method to their madness as things get taking the wrong way online... thats not my lifestyle, bodybuilding i mean, so i was curious
    were you reffering to me? i agree with you.. idk wtf your talking about now

I understand where your coming from actually.. Theres a well built, lean guy, at my gym who is not big by any means but will curl the 70's for sets (with proper form)... Maybe he uses his arms all day long.... I know lots of peple that are not big or huge but strong!!

i know you may find this hard to believe but i dont follow your threads. sorry. so i would know nothing of your caloric intake. you say it so matter of factly like i should know.
    no, i said "IF" you follow the calorie intake thread, not MY THREAD... and if i assumed you did, i wouldnt have bothered telling you i liv on a calorie restricted diet... geez... people take everything the wrong way on here... sorry i bothered to ask and learn about others methods and lifestyles...

Quote Originally Posted by 200byjune View Post
    were you reffering to me? i agree with you.. idk wtf your talking about now

i was agreeing with you and saying since your the only one that gets what i'm saying, id be better off asking the guys i'm talking about in person...

I understand where your coming from actually.. Theres a well built, lean guy, at my gym who is not big by any means but will curl the 70's for sets (with proper form)... Maybe he uses his arms all day long.... I know lots of peple that are not big or huge but strong!!
    thats all i'm saying... different styles, different methods, different goals... i was just wondering if lifting the lower weights made thm huge like that or if they were doing it for other reasons... what you said makes sense, now i know...

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    i am a bit larger up top... i am at the point that if i dont start working my legs more i am gonna look odd shaped... i'm right on the line....

personally I'd rather look bottom heavy then top heavy. Have you tried doing your curls with your back flat againt a wall? it will make them much harder. Im in no way saying your doing anything wrong just something you could try but probably already have.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    lol.. this thread cracked me up..I use my arms to beat off all day and still can't curl 80's??? wtf?.... Still, I'd like to see that one jsinur... post up a video or something?.. that would seriously be the first time that i have ever seen anyone curl 80lb db's..not saying it is impossible, in fact it is very possible but I still have never seen anyone do it... The heaviest I have gone is 70's for about 6 on cycle and I wouldn't do it in public...

I think needsmorestregnth answered all the variables as to why you see things like that.... genetics is also a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenseno9 View Post
    personally I'd rather look bottom heavy then top heavy. Have you tried doing your curls with your back flat againt a wall? it will make them much harder. Im in no way saying your doing anything wrong just something you could try but probably already have.
    yeah, i am getting close to looking top heavy so i need to kick up the legs real soon... i do them against the wall when i move up in weight, but besides that i just stand sideways and watch the mirror to keep an eye on my posture...

TJM7275 is offline Banned
    Dude 80lb dumb bell curls are intense man. I mean no offense, and don't take this the wrong way J, because I have no problems with you, I just find it hard to believe you do it that many sets and reps.... Is that you in you Avatar???? No ragging bro just sitting back scatching my head a bit

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information