Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CobrazRide is offline New Member

Can't stand newbies...need to vent

Alright, so it's about time I get this off my chest. I was hanging out with my friend and his buddies yesterday at his apartment..just shootin the shit pretty much. Anyhow, my friend and his buddies are into weightlifting. They aren't serious, but act like they are..you know the type of guys I'm talking about- they go to the gym, work biceps for an hour then have a protein shake. Well, this is them. They aren't big by any means and don't know jackshit. So, we're hanging at his place and the one guy turns around and says, "you're looking bigger. been on that creatine?" and my friend turns around and says, "yeah but its been getting me real dehydrated. i think thats why im tired during the day" and his buddies turn around and all agree with him and the one says, "yeah, that's what creatine does, but be careful you can't take that stuff all the time" So, as hard as it is for me to keep my mouth shut, i manage to do so...so a few minutes pass by and his one friend says, "yeah man i've been on cell-tech. it's amazing" and my friend says, "oh yea? how's that working for you?" and the guy turns around and says, "awesome man. its ridiculous i love it. its the only stuff i buy. it's 26 times stronger than regular creatine. the only reason why i know it is because it says so on the front of the bottle" and my friend replies, "damn thats sick i guess ill go pick some up tomorrow"...So, at this point I'm REAL tempted to open my mouth and start spitting out scientific facts to blow their minds, but I figured it's not worth my time. I just sat there with my mouth shut and started a new topic. This crap bothers me so much when people talk like they know everything, but they don't know a damn thing...especially when it comes to bodybuilding/supplements. sorry, i needed to get this off my chest..how do you guys handle these situations? do you keep your mouth shut and don't bother or do you but in and start tellin them how they're so wrong?

i guess some people will never learn..

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    My buddies and I would never have a covo like that...

so I guess that's how I deal with it.

C-MaN is offline Senior Member
    bro... it would not do you any good to even get into that conversation. People are hard headed. Let them believe what they want. It's not even worth the waste of breath. And i know exactly what kind of kids your talking about. I see them in the gym every day of the week !

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    what cell mass is not 26 times stronger???

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CobrazRide View Post
    Alright, so it's about time I get this off my chest. I was hanging out with my friend and his buddies yesterday at his apartment..just shootin the shit pretty much. Anyhow, my friend and his buddies are into weightlifting. They aren't serious, but act like they are..you know the type of guys I'm talking about- they go to the gym, work biceps for an hour then have a protein shake. Well, this is them. They aren't big by any means and don't know jackshit. So, we're hanging at his place and the one guy turns around and says, "you're looking bigger. been on that creatine?" and my friend turns around and says, "yeah but its been getting me real dehydrated. i think thats why im tired during the day" and his buddies turn around and all agree with him and the one says, "yeah, that's what creatine does, but be careful you can't take that stuff all the time" So, as hard as it is for me to keep my mouth shut, i manage to do so...so a few minutes pass by and his one friend says, "yeah man i've been on cell-tech. it's amazing" and my friend says, "oh yea? how's that working for you?" and the guy turns around and says, "awesome man. its ridiculous i love it. its the only stuff i buy. it's 26 times stronger than regular creatine. the only reason why i know it is because it says so on the front of the bottle" and my friend replies, "damn thats sick i guess ill go pick some up tomorrow"...So, at this point I'm REAL tempted to open my mouth and start spitting out scientific facts to blow their minds, but I figured it's not worth my time. I just sat there with my mouth shut and started a new topic. This crap bothers me so much when people talk like they know everything, but they don't know a damn thing...especially when it comes to bodybuilding/supplements. sorry, i needed to get this off my chest..how do you guys handle these situations? do you keep your mouth shut and don't bother or do you but in and start tellin them how they're so wrong?

That critical thinking ability in some people never develops. So claims that seem outragious to us would never cross their mind.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about others, worry about yourself. Let them blow their money on useless supplements, let them learn the hard way. If they don't ask for your advice, don't give it to them. Simple

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    My younger brother is like that. He does ridiculous shit that impedes him from making any sort of gains in the gym. He listens to whoever is standing in front of him at the time. I quit trying to teach him a long time ago. If people are meat to figure it out, they will.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    just laugh. Otherwise you will go crazy.

fit4ever is offline Associate Member

Be careful what you say because you were once a first in everything that you've ever tried.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever View Post
    Be careful what you say because you were once a first in everything that you've ever tried.
    And your point is?

There are 3 types of noobies: Those that acknowledge that they don't know (and are eager to learn), Those who realize that they don't know (but act like they do... thus reducing the likelihood of learning anything to nil), and those who think they know everything.

I don't recall ever being in the latter two categories.

Sounds like this guy's buddies fall into the last category.

Personally I find people like that intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    And your point is?

There are 3 types of noobies: Those that acknowledge that they don't know (and are eager to learn), Those who realize that they don't know (but act like they do... thus reducing the likelihood of learning anything to nil), and those who think they know everything.

My point is, it's important to be patient with those that are new to something. Because believe it or not, those newbies might be great at something else that you're fairly new to. We're all ignorant or lack experience/knowledge in certain areas of our lives.

southmadejd is offline Member
    OP, are you a pretty big guy? Because if you are, then maybe they were just trying to fit in with you or impress you. You should take conversations like this (as retarded as they may be) as a compliment because most likely they just want to try and impress you.

Quote Originally Posted by southmadejd View Post
    OP, are you a pretty big guy? Because if you are, then maybe they were just trying to fit in with you or impress you. You should take conversations like this (as retarded as they may be) as a compliment because most likely they just want to try and impress you.
    You bring up a good point. I'm not huge by any stretch of the means, but out of everyone there I was the biggest as far as strength/lean mass is concerned, so perhaps that's a possibility.

I'd also look into getting some new friends who aren't douche bags

good tips..best advice is to keep quiet. It's ashame they never think about stepping outside the box and actually research what they are doing...it's ridiculous if you ask me. I'm not cocky or conceited by any means, but I consider myself an intelligent individual. If I'm going to take something, I wanna know the ins and outs about it...heck, I even took extra classes that werent part of my major just to learn MORE about biochemistry and organic chemistry. classes weren't easy either! I guess thats the beauty of this field- we all have a strong passion for health/fitness/bodybuilding and we enjoy researching and learning

good tips..best advice is to keep quiet. It's ashame they never think about stepping outside the box and actually research what they are doing...it's ridiculous if you ask me. I'm not cocky or conceited by any means, but I consider myself an intelligent individual. If I'm going to take something, I wanna know the ins and outs about it...heck, I even took extra classes that werent part of my major just to learn MORE about biochemistry and organic chemistry. classes weren't easy either! I guess thats the beauty of this field- we all have a strong passion for health/fitness/bodybuilding and we enjoy researching and learning
    I'd strongly encourage you to look up the word PRIDE in the dictionary before continuing to post within this thread. You say you're "not cocky or conceited", but the data won't lie to you.

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Were you unable to speak up cause the joint was in rotation?

JK...

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    good 4 u

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    you have 14 posts

[QUOTEwho =KatsMeow;4436719]you have 14 posts[/QUOTE]

Who knew that post count was the be all end all of intelligence???

Chode Logan is offline AR's Ravishing Maestro of Anabolic Tastyness
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post

It's in the bible.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    wow, I want to get in on this thread but I have got to tell you that I am just too lazy to read all this tonight.

^^^perfect point. We all had to start somewhere. The key is to be humble and eager to learn

Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    you have 14 posts
    Thanks. You have 9,582.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Were you unable to speak up cause the joint was in rotation?

JK...
    HAHA..I tend to pass on the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there's a strong correlation between post count and intelligence

And your point is?

Well said. Everyone starts off somewhere, but with that said, not everyone falls into the same hole. Like you alluded to, there are newbies who don't know much and understand that. On the other hand, there are guys who are oblivious to everything and think they know everything. The latter is more or less a prime example of my buddies.

D7M
    Blog Entries
    post count doesn't mean sht.

I can go whore in the lounge all day, doesn't mean I know anything.

I had bout 30 posts on here before one of my threads was made into a sticky....

D7M
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    yes, that was a good read.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    I make threads sticky all the time.

Oh wait... that's not what you meant is is?

*tee hee*

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

*tee hee*

*tee hee*
    Damn you got me.

BritishColumbian is offline Senior Member

Whatever it says on the label of a supplement container is 100% true, suplements are like magic and they take all the hard work out of being physically fit!

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i was at a party a few weeks ago and kinda the same thing happened

some dude was talkin to another guy and started sayin about how you always have to do 10 reps and blah blah and the another guy jumped in askin about "what muscle does this exercise work" (while simulating bicep curls) and one guy pointed to the guys TRI'S!!!!!!

i sat next to them laughin and the girl i was with knows im at least semi knowledgable about such things and said to me... "why dont you correct them?" (cuz even she knew it was wrong)

i was like " its not worth my time"

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    i was at a party a few weeks ago and kinda the same thing happened

some dude was talkin to another guy and started sayin about how you always have to do 10 reps and blah blah and the another guy jumped in askin about "what muscle does this exercise work" (while simulating bicep curls) and one guy pointed to the guys TRI'S!!!!!!

i sat next to them laughin and the girl i was with knows im at least semi knowledgable about such things and said to me... "why dont you correct them?" (cuz even she knew it was wrong)

i was like " its not worth my time"
    WHAT??? Bicep doesnt work on Tri'S???

next thing u r going to tell me that I cant drink winny...arsehole.
    Last edited by calgarian; 02-16-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Chode Logan is offline AR's Ravishing Maestro of Anabolic Tastyness
    Do I inject my deca into my asshole or cheek?

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    people like that I hate as well, you did the right thing. I either walk away or let them talk.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    your buddies should sign up they could be mods

MUSCLEGT is offline New Member
    I tend to just keep my mouth shut. I hear stuff like that all the time at the gym I go to but I figure it's none of my business.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sorry, only people that have over 8000 posts are qualified to answer anything in here.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Sorry, only people that have over 8000 posts are qualified to answer anything in here.

haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information