Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

Butchering the English language...Slang words that drive me nuts!!!!

I am so tired of having to interact with people who butcher the English language. I dont understand why it is so hard to communicate properly, and to not use 4 letter words while doing so. I also get extremely perturbed by those who curse in public places, and especially when children are present. I constantly correct my friends for using profanity around older adults and those with their children.

In addition, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people end their sentences with the word "yo." For instance, "Whats good yo," "What time you leaving yo." I can understand using it as a greeting, but not to end a sentence. Although I can sometimes understand what people are saying when they use this horrible slang language, I will pretend to not understand what they are saying until they speak to me with somewhat proper English. It seems that mostly teenagers speak like this, and it drives me INSANE! I would like to ignore it, but when I have to interact with people who speak like this I cannot contain my frustration.

I was arguing with my friends little brother, who is 19, and when I was done talking to him he said "Wipe me down yo." What in gods name does 'wipe me down' mean. Am I supposed to get out a rag and start cleaning him? One other common saying I hear quite often to which I respond with a smart ass remark is when people end an interaction with "One." Instead of saying Goodbye, See ya later, Have a good day, they say "One," to which I usually reply by saying "Two."

I understand abbreviating words in the interest of saving time or just slang in general. However, most of what I've stated above goes well beyond slang into language which does not even resemble English, and is indicative of someone who lacks any intelligence and respect for other people. I encourage all of you with children to smack them upside the head if they use such slang terms. Please add to the list of slang words which drive you nuts.

"Wipe me down"

"......yo" (end of a sentence)

"One"

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This stupid way of talking has come from the YouTube generation.

Things like PWNT and 1337 are just ridiculous. I didn't even know what 1337 meant until yesterday when curiousity got the better of me (it's an abreviation of the word Elite, as in 'leet'. Leet itself also sounds stupid)

And what's with this new word "sick"? Like:
    "Yeah man, that new movie looks sick!"

I seriously don't know how sick could be translated as something to mean cool.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    "Holla"

People who say that make me wanna smack 'em.

lord henry is offline Scammer&Liar
    one ....................

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    i'm gonna have a field day with this this thread yo.....one(btw, i've never heard one used before)

here are a few i hear often though

word- as in when people just throw it out there for no reason

like- as in "Like, she is so like, fine i just want to like, get her number, like, you know?" since when is that a sentence??????

off the chain- what the hell does that mean, "that girl is off the chain man" so apparently she is into S&M, big deal

as of the iznits, izzols etcc, as in, shiznit, fo shizzol, fo sho, fo shoizzol

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    you know what i am saying.......

****ing hate

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    yo wuzz da dilly wit dis thred?
    use mofos be racists n shyt

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lord henry View Post
    one ....................
    Can you use this in a sentence please?
    Dont think I ever heard it

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Stop blowin up my spot.

umm well what has happened waz umm

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    yo...lol

jew anit miz bozzzzzzz....

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    "Have a good one."

I have always cringed when people say that to me.
    "Have a good one of what?" I feel like asking.

my buddy hates when i say "thats good people" so i do it all the time

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    We need to get up out of here....What the fack does that mean!

The guys I played Baseball with From Oklahoma. Im fixin on going to get.....

Back home when asking for directions. "you need to go over yander (spelling???) and head north."

Granted the communities I came from are historically ethnically German, so there are some mut words we use that only people weres im a from can understand.

should i fix you some sandwitches

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Hmm here is one I thought of...I was trying to give a presentation and a girl asked me, "Is you storyin?".... I said excuse me? She asked me if I was storyin. Ignoring for a moment that she said "Is you" and not are you, she used the word storyin, which I'm not sure actually exists. I believe she was asking me if I was lying, in fact I'm pretty sure thats what she was asking. Instead of acknowledging that though, I kept asking what she was saying and telling her I didnt understand her, and that if she had a question she would have to translate it into English so that I could answer her. She flipped out, it was priceless. In addition to words as stupid as this,

"Nah mean" (No, I dont)

"Ya hurd" (I did hear, but not anything resembling English from your mouth)

"Stay up son" (I'm not your son, I am standing up, thank you)

"Obvi" (Girls around school say this, appearently saying the whole word is too much trouble)

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Worst one for me. Minute.
    like: Yo, I ain't been there in a minute.

I guess it means awhile, but I keep thinking if you haven't been there in a minute you just left!

moving forward

can we move any other direction when having a conversation??

mis-use of the word invite
    "I sent you an invite..." em, no you didn't, maybe you sent me an invitation

being honest- i'd like to bloody well think so

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by nirish_mark20 View Post
    moving forward

can we move any other direction when having a conversation??

mis-use of the word invite
    "I sent you an invite..." em, no you didn't, maybe you sent me an invitation

being honest- i'd like to bloody well think so
    There's nothing wrong about that.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    any gangster lingo.

I get told this all the time:

"Say what my (n word). dog, you trippn'"

lol....Im white

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    After every sentence, IDIOTS that say "Know what I'm sayin?"...Sorry for being insensitive, but I have never heard a white guy say that.

Example:
    I went to the store, know what I'm sayin, when these cops, know what I'm sayin, was trippin. We left in the car, know what I'm sayin, and rode allllllll the way back, know what I'm sayin.

I mean, seriously, I want to punch every black dude I hear say that shit. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, get on with the ****ing story.

It's the black equivalent of a stupid cheerleader saying "like" after everything.

BuffedGuy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    i'm gonna have a field day with this this thread yo.....one(btw, i've never heard one used before)

here are a few i hear often though

word- as in when people just throw it out there for no reason

like- as in "Like, she is so like, fine i just want to like, get her number, like, you know?" since when is that a sentence??????

off the chain- what the hell does that mean, "that girl is off the chain man" so apparently she is into S&M, big deal

as of the iznits, izzols etcc, as in, shiznit, fo shizzol, fo sho, fo shoizzol
    Word.

g0dsend is offline Member
    At the end of a sentence, the word "yo" is almost used the same way as "eh" by Canadians I think.

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    i HATE the word "CU" or its sister word, "CUZ"

It is not a ****ING WORD!!!

Damn i hate So. Cal sometimes.

Some dumb kid said this in my class the other day, and i nearly threw him out the window.

English isnt even my first or second language, and i speak better than 90% of todays youth in this country.

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    People in Maine say "You know what I mean" instead of "You know what I'm saying." they say it real fast and kinda nasally...annoying

I've also caught more "bub"s then I'd care to be ever called in my life

also, someone will say "We thank you" even if it's only one person

I'm not a huge fan of the Maine accent, or the Mass-hole accent, or any accent in the Northeast for that matter

I had a relative from Pakistan who came here and would say "thank you much", LOL. (Say it out loud.) It makes perfect sense, but colloquially it just sounds hilarious.

I also had a cousin from Pakistan who was going to the UK, so he asked me "teach me some iiiiiiiiiiiiiiidioms." (He meant to say "idioms" but he elongated the "i" so much that it was truly hilarious.) In any case, I was like "what do you mean?" He said "you know, like: a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush." LOLLLL I was like "bro, don't use any of those and you'll just do just fine!"

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    "Brotha"
    How's it goin ma brotha?

Even shorter than that "Ya know?"

In gonna nail up this picture ya know.
    Got to work those triceps today ya know.
    Hows it goin ya know
    That was a pretty hard test ya know.

"And stuff like that"
    One of my bosses says that continuously, it's not slang but it drives me crazy.

I do say "sweet" at times, not excessively. Such as:
    "I just got this new tatoo"
    "Thats pretty sweet"

Does anyone get into this predicament. If someone uses too much slang do you have a hard time understanding wtf they are even saying?

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend from Jersey who's so hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    I do say "sweet" at times, not excessively. Such as:
    "I just got this new tatoo"
    "Thats pretty sweet"

Does anyone get into this predicament. If someone uses too much slang do you have a hard time understanding wtf they are even saying?
    I think realistically speaking the best of us do use some of these words from time to time. It's just a matter of degree. Those people who do it excessively tend to sound ditzy.

I use "word" all the time, mostly on IM though. It's when someone says something and you got nothing else to add, you can either add "haha" like most people do (but that makes no sense to me) or "word." Saying "ok" just sounds weird. For instance:

IMguy1: I hate racists.
    Me957: Word.

"Word" conveys both acceptance of the information as well as affirmation of it. Although I guess you could use "I agree" in its place.

Whilst we are bashing people for sounding ditzy, I think we should also not forget those people who try to sound overly intellectual. They use big words purposefully instead of incidentally. I think you can really tell who these people are, because it comes across as trying too hard. Sure, I've met a bunch of geniuses who use big words but they do it naturally because those words are a part of their natural vocabulary.

I used to teach high school students as a part-time job, and I always dissuaded them from trying to "sound intellectual" in their english papers. Either you are or you are not. Don't try to fake it. If you are one, it will come across that way automatically through no forced effort on your part. But if you fake it, you look foolish, and it is transparent.

So anyways, I'm rambling...my point is: all things in moderation. A few slang words here and there just makes us human. Too many and you sound oafish.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Can you use this in a sentence please?
    Dont think I ever heard it
    That is the sentence. It's same as a when a person says "Later."

Shorthand and phonetic texting really annoys me for some reason.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    lolz this thread iz sick yo

higherdesire is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    yo wuzz da dilly wit dis thred?
    use mofos be racists n shyt
    That is funny. I introduced one of my friends to another one in the next town over. They talked on the phone then hooked up for some green. After they met in person they BOTH called me later and the black one said " man your friend is white, that really suprised me" After talking to him on the phone he assumed he was black.
    then the white guy called shortly afterwards and said " I was expecting the dude to be white after talking to him on the phone"

you never know these days.

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    I can't stand any slang talk, it drives me insane. Even worse when people don't know how to pronounce common words, or they try to use big words to sound smart but they pronounce them wrong as well.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    I am so tired of having to interact with people who butcher the English language. I dont understand why it is so hard to communicate properly, and to not use 4 letter words while doing so. I also get extremely perturbed by those who curse in public places, and especially when children are present. I constantly correct my friends for using profanity around older adults and those with their children.

In addition, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people end their sentences with the word "yo." For instance, "Whats good yo," "What time you leaving yo." I can understand using it as a greeting, but not to end a sentence. Although I can sometimes understand what people are saying when they use this horrible slang language, I will pretend to not understand what they are saying until they speak to me with somewhat proper English. It seems that mostly teenagers speak like this, and it drives me INSANE! I would like to ignore it, but when I have to interact with people who speak like this I cannot contain my frustration.

I was arguing with my friends little brother, who is 19, and when I was done talking to him he said "Wipe me down yo." What in gods name does 'wipe me down' mean. Am I supposed to get out a rag and start cleaning him? One other common saying I hear quite often to which I respond with a smart ass remark is when people end an interaction with "One." Instead of saying Goodbye, See ya later, Have a good day, they say "One," to which I usually reply by saying "Two."

I understand abbreviating words in the interest of saving time or just slang in general. However, most of what I've stated above goes well beyond slang into language which does not even resemble English, and is indicative of someone who lacks any intelligence and respect for other people. I encourage all of you with children to smack them upside the head if they use such slang terms. Please add to the list of slang words which drive you nuts.

"Wipe me down"

"......yo" (end of a sentence)

"One"

pretty much agree

but, I dont understand what is wrong with "have a good one"?

bitch please

My bitches.....

**** my whores

thats what it izz..

fuvk thmmmm whorezzzzzzzzz

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    No one here speaks the Queens english so this thread is moot!!!!

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    clem or trem or decca...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information