Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    I believe that the army is the only branch that will give you E-4 strait off the streets, but you have to have a BA not just the credits.
    Really? When did this start up? Damnit, why couldn't they do that back in '96?

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    Sorry dude. The "Puddle Patrol" does deploy personnel to the Gulf to conduct VBSS (Visit, Board, Search & Seizure) training for regular Navy personnel.

The SEALs are too busy, in case you were wondering...

To the OP, I think every service has MOS/Ratings for diesel mechanics. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Navy from firsthand experience. Although I was attached to the Marines, there were a few times I transited the Indian Ocean on my way to the Gulf, and let me say this - life on a ship sucks. It's a floating sausage fest and boring as hell. Those ships have nice diesel engines, turbines, etc., but unless you enjoy sleeping with 60 other guys in a berthing compartment (55 have bad gas, 30 enjoy walking around naked, 15 refuse to shower, 10 are dedicated thieves, 5 are butt pirates, 2 are into some sick shit, and all of them masturbate) and prefer to NOT see land for days, weeks, and maybe months at a time, then I'd consider the Army. Nothing against the Marines - I served with them and loved it, but their benefits don't compare with the other services. The Air Force has the brightest personnel and the best base facilities, but your promotion rate will be slower, unless you're a genius, bust your ass constantly, and volunteer for every shit detail that comes along.

Just my 2 cents...

Well, they have the best facilities at least.

And you're right, promotion rate in the Air Force sucks. You will start out E3, then after 24 months you will make E4 automatically. You can make it in 18 months but yeah you have to bust your ass and the difference in pay over that 6 months will equal out to around $1,000 or so. Aside from that you will never make it to E5 in a four year enlistment.

Gimme a list of jobs you qualify for being color blind and I'll help you out. I didn't like being away from home either.... I'm sure most people don't. But it's the best thing I could have done. You can always go guard and be activated so you would work full time with full benefits. I know a guy that works the system hard and makes lots of money.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    to be honest I couldn't tell you when it started. I just know I was in basic (spring 2002) with two guys that were SPC (e4) and I asked them how they got it, and they replied they signed up after college but you actually had to have a degree not just over 120 credits.

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Well, they have the best facilities at least.

And you're right, promotion rate in the Air Force sucks. You will start out E3, then after 24 months you will make E4 automatically. You can make it in 18 months but yeah you have to bust your ass and the difference in pay over that 6 months will equal out to around $1,000 or so. Aside from that you will never make it to E5 in a four year enlistment.

Gimme a list of jobs you qualify for being color blind and I'll help you out. I didn't like being away from home either.... I'm sure most people don't. But it's the best thing I could have done. You can always go guard and be activated so you would work full time with full benefits. I know a guy that works the system hard and makes lots of money.
    1st off... i just took some test from visiontesting.com or something stupid. google searched color vision test. but aside from that i got aircraft metals, air transportation, and vehicle maintenance ctrt/anly or whatever. those are the only 3 i qualify for that deal with my experience. im hoping the AF vision test is a bit differant... my neighbor is saying it is.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    EOD mate, you get to blow sh*t up and when you get out you can make lots of MONEY,,, just like i did...lol

<Raven> is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Older lifter View Post
    EOD mate, you get to blow sh*t up and when you get out you can make lots of MONEY,,, just like i did...lol
    you have brass balls man... blowing sh*t up is cool but I prefer to stay away from playing with rudimentary hodgie explosives...that is a hell of a way to get paid. Then again I guess it transfers to civilian life a hell of a lot better than infantry.

OP have you been to MEPS yet? That should be your first step. Get a recruiter from any branch to project you for a MEPS physical. It doesn't matter which one just make it clear you aren't contracting that day. After you get all your results you can easily contract with any branch. That way you can go down, have your vision tested, bloodwork, duck walk all that gay shit...You will also get an ASVAB score which will really tell you what jobs are open to you. You don't sound like an idiot so I'm pretty sure your window will stay open.

Remember one thing man as you toss around jobs, benefits, experience, postings and every other detail in this process...whether you are a soldier, sailor, airman, marine or guardsman you're already giving back to your country. Thats number one...you just need to decide what you want your country to give you in return. There's nothing wrong with taking your time in this process and weighing your options. From what I've read in this posting it looks like you're tossing between he AF and Army...find out which one benefits you the most and you fit the best into. There's nothing worse than getting to basic and being one of those kids that realizes they just signed their life away into something they dont fit or cant handle. Weigh your options, weigh the benefits, find your fit and go for it...

and everyone hated being away from home...it passes. Part of the package bro...
    Last edited by <Raven>; 06-21-2009 at 06:28 PM.

<Raven> is offline Junior Member
    haha they've been doing it for awhile. I think they did it to promote a little more high speed kids to enlist. Then again, I've seen alot of idiots with degrees. Kinda pisses off NCO's in reception battalions who have been in service for years and are just now E-5's and E-6's to be handing E-4 rank to kids who are wearing marshmallows and still have a fresh baldy

ph34rsh4ck is offline Member
    If you have alot of bills to pay and you have an associates in diesel tech, you need to go work offshore, on the rigs

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Work as a contractor. The HUMVEE mechanics I talked to over seas were making 6 figures. I believe they did 12 month tours, and only got like 2 weeks vacation. I'm pretty sure their flights were paid for too. Not too shabby

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    whats good guys? im on a little vacation visiting my grandma in south carolina.

pretty sure im gonna do the air force thing active duty for 4 years. im going to talk to a recruiter for a MEPs physical to see whats going on. thanks guys.

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    MARINES !!! OOOO-RAHH !!

This is my opinion !! They are in dire need for mechanics for the Abrams... I know that much...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information