phat_matt85 is offline Member

What causes pump?

How come sometimes i get a sick pump at the gym and sometimes i almost get nothing? i hate that feeling so i figured i will ask for i can change what ever im doing wrong

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    pump has nothing to do with muscle gains(with one exception), all a pump is is the accumulation of blood in a muscle do to repetitive contration, if you want to get a great pump, then incorporate a pump set and make it work for you

here's how to make a pump work for you

i read a study that proposed greater gains from incorporating sets in your workout that were designed to force excessive amounts of blood into the targeted muscle group, thus stretching the facia of the muscle tissue and allowing more room for growth

we all know that HGH is the only thing that can create new muscle fibers(working out just creates bigger muscle fibers), but what happens when you start to get to the point where your facia can no longer hold the muscle that is in it?

your gains will start to slow, so this study proposed that by adding a set of 20-25 reps on the end of an exercise and forcing huge volumes of blood into the muscle, we could create new room for growth, and thus more potential for growth

double drop sets and such also work well for this

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    Phate= one smart mo fo!!

Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
    Phate= one smart mo fo!!
    i'm gonna have musclescience double check this to be sure though

it sounded good even IF you are wrong

it sounded good even IF you are wrong
    well i am a college student, ergo i am working towards getting a BS in BS

lmao
    you are doing a fine fuvking job then

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    what i found works for ME, was trying not to just speed thru each rep.

i dropped a few lbs of my weights a while back, fixed a lot of form, and slowed down the control for the whole motion. slow up slow down, etc...not like..SLOW, but consistant without trying to look like a hero.

i found if i do reps too fast, i was using gravity and momentum to do the work, rather than my body.

Dancer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    well i am a college student, ergo i am working towards getting a BS in BS
    That is a great suggestion and makes all the sence in the world thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    what i found works for ME, was trying not to just speed thru each rep.

i dropped a few lbs of my weights a while back, fixed a lot of form, and slowed down the control for the whole motion. slow up slow down, etc...not like..SLOW, but consistant without trying to look like a hero.

i found if i do reps too fast, i was using gravity and momentum to do the work, rather than my body.
    i forgot to add that the point of the pump set is dropping the weight and focusing on mind-muscle connection forcing blood in

OK-now your on the edge- mind-muscle connection?

OK-now your on the edge- mind-muscle connection?
    you've never heard of it?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_80309866/

well well...i apologize
    didn't know that's what it was called
    Last edited by ni4ni; 06-20-2009 at 02:23 PM.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    pump has nothing to do with muscle gains(with one exception), all a pump is is the accumulation of blood in a muscle do to repetitive contration, if you want to get a great pump, then incorporate a pump set and make it work for you

i read a study that proposed greater gains from incorporating sets in your workout that were designed to force excessive amounts of blood into the targeted muscle group, thus stretching the facia of the muscle tissue and allowing more room for growth

we all know that HGH is the only thing that can create new muscle fibers(working out just creates bigger muscle fibers), but what happens when you start to get to the point where your facia can no longer hold the muscle that is in it?

your gains will start to slow, so this study proposed that by adding a set of 20-25 reps on the end of an exercise and forcing huge volumes of blood into the muscle, we could create new room for growth, and thus more potential for growth

Not sure if i believe it (my opinion). We all know muscle growth is the breaking down of the fibers. Unless if forcing so much blood in the muscle will break down fibers then i don't buy what was posted.

Andro9 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Not sure if i believe it (my opinion). We all know muscle growth is the breaking down of the fibers. Unless if forcing so much blood in the muscle will break down fibers then i don't buy what was posted.

took the words outta my mouth

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    I know what a bicycle pump is.....

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    It's basically saying stretching the facia will allow for more room for growth. It is logical, and I am no scientist - however, it's like saying that if you had 2 atheletes. A and B:

Both atheletes work the same regimen, eat the same diet, and have similar genetics. However, athelete A stretches 4 times daily - Once upon waking up, once Pre and PWO, and once before bed. Now, athelete B doesn't stretch at all. Who do you think makes more noticable gains?

When you stretch your "muscles", you're stretching the same facia that gets stretched through these pumps we're discussing. So if Phate is correct, extreme pumps may actually allow for more growth?

However, when you grow it's usually outside the gym. So maybe continuosly stretching will allow for a greater overall flexibility in the facia - in turn allowing for easier growth to occur when repair time comes?

Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post
    It's basically saying stretching the facia will allow for more room for growth. It is logical, and I am no scientist - however, it's like saying that if you had 2 atheletes. A and B:

Both atheletes work the same regimen, eat the same diet, and have similar genetics. However, athelete A stretches 4 times daily - Once upon waking up, once Pre and PWO, and once before bed. Now, athelete B doesn't stretch at all. Who do you think makes more noticable gains?

When you stretch your "muscles", you're stretching the same facia that gets stretched through these pumps we're discussing. So if Phate is correct, extreme pumps may actually allow for more growth?

However, when you grow it's usually outside the gym. So maybe continuosly stretching will allow for a greater overall flexibility in the facia - in turn allowing for easier growth to occur when repair time comes?

Just some thoughts.
    that's what i'm getting at

let me clarify for DSM so there's no misunderstanding, i don't mean to say that forcing blood in will make muscles bigger directly, i'm saying that doing a hard pump set will stretch the facia, giving the muscles more room to grow, it's an indirect approach

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"

shit and I just though it was lifting weights.

lol, I love how someone has to put something funny in all my threads lol. Awsome info everyone i will try few new things next week and see if i feel a diff

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_matt85 View Post
    lol, I love how someone has to put something funny in all my threads lol. Awsome info everyone i will try few new things next week and see if i feel a diff
    God bless the lounge bro...

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_matt85 View Post
    How come sometimes i get a sick pump at the gym and sometimes i almost get nothing? i hate that feeling so i figured i will ask for i can change what ever im doing wrong
    I don't know if you tryed any OTC supplements . Vandryl sulfate was the first supplement in the 80's that actually did something . Really didn't add muscle , but made you vascular and crazy pumps . I tried with creatine once that was introduced . Was like 1 + 1 = 3 . Now they have all sorta nos supplements .
    Anyway , check out the VS for like 15 bucks for 2 months supply . You might feel like guy who's arms exploded .

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Quote Originally Posted by dontwannabold View Post
    I don't know if you tryed any OTC supplements . Vandryl sulfate was the first supplement in the 80's that actually did something . Really didn't add muscle , but made you vascular and crazy pumps . I tried with creatine once that was introduced . Was like 1 + 1 = 3 . Now they have all sorta nos supplements .
    Anyway , check out the VS for like 15 bucks for 2 months supply . You might feel like guy who's arms exploded .
    NICE im about to google it and see what store i can get it at, and hopefully tomm some of it will be in my system lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH and AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH..ok. I dont need that pump yet im still young!

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    i'm gonna have musclescience double check this to be sure though
    A quick search could have saved you a little time...

muscle pump question

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

would this cause overtraining?

jbm

DDDNTZ is offline Associate Member
    Also from my experience how goodof a pump you get depends on what your diet was for the day. I have found that on days I dont eat like I should i.e. not getting in enough protein and carbs (when bulking) the pumps I get are just weak. But when my diet is right on for the day the pumps I get are always better. This is assuming your routine and form are in check. Also like Nicotine said when you controll the weight and do the contractions a little slower rather than doing fast reps it makes a huge difference

jbm
    we keep on pumping!

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    For me what causes a great pump is carbohydrates or the presence of insulin . Take a few IUs of insulin before a workout (not recommended for slin newbies) and sip on a BCAA/Glucose drink throughout and your muscles will feel like they want to tear through your skin. When glycogen stores are full I feel a much fuller, better pump in the gym. And you have to be well hydrated as well.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    For me what causes a great pump is carbohydrates or the presence of insulin. Take a few IUs of insulin before a workout (not recommended for slin newbies) and sip on a BCAA/Glucose drink throughout and your muscles will feel like they want to tear through your skin. When glycogen stores are full I feel a much fuller, better pump in the gym. And you have to be well hydrated as well.
    Just wanted to add that a mixture of high/moderate GI and low GI carbs with a small amount of fat about an hour before a workout will have a similar effect on intra workout muscle pumps. You basically do not want to be carb deplated and/or dehydrated if you want a good pump

Yeah i have noticed that when i dont drink too much water i dont get as full as i would when i drink lots of water threw out the day

Thread Information