Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Working out 3 days a week ...

Who works out 3 days a week ? I might give it a try. Seems after 2-3 weeks of solid heavy lifting i start to hurt (muscle soreness). Im thinking maybe with the heavier weight its taking longer to recover.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Personally I always train 5-6 days per week, usually 6 but I have never tried less so I guess I dont have much to base my opinion on. Keep a log let us know how it goes, I find I get constant strength gains even when working out 5-6 times per week so I havent seen the need to workout less other than my wife complaining thats all I do.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I did it when I was doing straight powerlifting. 3 days a week was plenty. I don't know what you're into but if it's body building I think you'd be better with more of a split.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    DSM,

I work out 3 days a week. Most strength athletes (powerlifters, strongmen, and some Oly lifters) only workout 3 days a week because of the stress the poundages put on their bodies and the need for serious recovery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    I did it when I was doing straight powerlifting. 3 days a week was plenty. I don't know what you're into but if it's body building I think you'd be better with more of a split.
    I been going balls out heavy - bodybuilding. My goal really is to lift as heavy as i possibly can with the correct form. I been writing it all down and going 10 /8-6 / 4 reps. If i hit all of them its time to bump the weight up. Forces me to give all i can all the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    DSM,

I work out 3 days a week. Most strength athletes (powerlifters, strongmen, and some Oly lifters) only workout 3 days a week because of the stress the poundages put on their bodies and the need for serious recovery.
    Which is why i was thinking of bring it down. I just need to write up a 3 days split which is going to be hard. I try to go so heavy on my compounds (squats / deads / rows / m-press) that i dont think i have it in my to do two in the same workout. Like for example deads for back then m-press for shoulder but i guess theres only one way to find out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Personally I always train 5-6 days per week, usually 6 but I have never tried less so I guess I dont have much to base my opinion on. Keep a log let us know how it goes, I find I get constant strength gains even when working out 5-6 times per week so I havent seen the need to workout less other than my wife complaining thats all I do.
    I know hands down there is no way in hell i could pull off 5 days a week the way i am training now. Body def doesn't recover like when i first started.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    dsm are you on cycle?

I train bodybuilding and powerlifting and try to lift 4-5 days/wk and I don't go light

show me your training regimen

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Go for 4, if you're still sucking ass cut it down to 3. I can see how lifting HEAVY when body building would be taxing to do more than 3 days a week.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I was working out 3 days a week - felt well rested but desired more. I've been doing 4 days a week - mon-tus-thurs-friday and I love it. When I get on cycle I contemplate working out 5 days a week and hitting one bodypart twice that week.

I mite try that next go around.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Which is why i was thinking of bring it down. I just need to write up a 3 days split which is going to be hard. I try to go so heavy on my compounds (squats / deads / rows / m-press) that i dont think i have it in my to do two in the same workout. Like for example deads for back then m-press for shoulder but i guess theres only one way to find out.
    As a strongman my split is upper body (day 1), lower body (day 2), events on day three.

As a powerlifter it was more lift specific training. For example Bench day consisted of chest, shoulders, tris (everything that could benefit the bench), Squat day was accompanied by leg presses, leg ext, leg curls. Deadlift day consisted of deads, shrugs, lat pulls, rows.

Of course the were/are days where we switch up between dynamic/max effort days so you aren't pounding as heavy. I would imagine how difficult it would be for bodybuilders to do something like this because of the amounts of sets and exercises y'all do.

I have heard of many bodybuilders here in Vegas once or twice a year switching to bill starr's 5x5 routine (which is a 3 day routine) for added mass and overall strength and then going back to their bber routines the rest of the year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4 View Post
    dsm are you on cycle?

I train bodybuilding and powerlifting and try to lift 4-5 days/wk and I don't go light

show me your training regimen
    I am not on cycle

week one
    back
    pull-ups wide -3 sets as many as i can
    chin-ups 3 sets as many as i can
    deadlift
    BB rows
    BB curls

chest
    incline smith (i use smith cause i workout alone and dont trust myself-i try and push myself as hard as i can. Need the mental support that i wont chop my head off)
    flat smith
    decline DB
    cable pushdown

wed off

shoulder
    BB standing m-press
    BB upright rows
    DB lat raise
    BB shrugs

Legs
    Squats
    lunges
    SLDL

Then the follow week i might change chest smiths to DB and change the order flat first then inclines. Making small changes but still stick with the main movements.

Blog Entries
    As a strongman my split is upper body (day 1), lower body (day 2), events on day three.

As a powerlifter it was more lift specific training. For example Bench day consisted of chest, shoulders, tris (everything that could benefit the bench), Squat day was accompanied by leg presses, leg ext, leg curls. Deadlift day consisted of deads, shrugs, lat pulls, rows.

Of course the were/are days where we switch up between dynamic/max effort days so you aren't pounding as heavy. I would imagine how difficult it would be for bodybuilders to do something like this because of the amounts of sets and exercises y'all do.

I have heard of many bodybuilders here in Vegas once or twice a year switching to bill starr's 5x5 routine (which is a 3 day routine) for added mass and overall strength and then going back to their bber routines the rest of the year.
    I might give this bill starr's 5x5 program a try. Changing programs also helps to motivate me. Doing the same thing day in/out can get boring real fast. Thanks.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    got it....looks like the gist of my workouts....when do you train bi's and tri's, calves etc?

I try and give my body a rest...go lighter/more reps every 2-3 wks

Blog Entries
    BgMc you have the 5x5_intermediate_v0.3.zip file by chance ? The link is outdated in the article i am reading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4 View Post
    got it....looks like the gist of my workouts....when do you train bi's and tri's, calves etc?

I try and give my body a rest...go lighter/more reps every 2-3 wks
    Bi- once with back
    tri- once with chest

BgMc you have the 5x5_intermediate_v0.3.zip file by chance ? The link is outdated in the article i am reading.
    Here you go, brotha...

Monday – Heavy Day
    Squat – 5 sets of 5
    Bench – 5 sets of 5
    Barbell Row or Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
    Weighted hyperextensions - 2 sets
    Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets

On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. For squats, something like 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. Your fifth set equals the triple from the previous Friday's workout.

Wednesday – Light Day
    Squat – 4 sets of 5
    Incline Bench or Standing Press – 4 sets of 5
    Deadlift – 4 sets of 5
    Sit-ups - 3 sets

On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. An extra fifth set at this same weight can be added. Incline bench/Standing Press and deadlifts are ramped up to a top set of five.

Friday - Medium
    Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Barbell Row or Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 for rows
    Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8
    Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets of 8 each

Here is a calculator to help you set up the cycle.

The full routine can be found here. Stick around this site for awhile, reading the pages contained within will endow you with years upon years of knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Here you go, brotha...

Monday – Heavy Day
    Squat – 5 sets of 5
    Bench – 5 sets of 5
    Barbell Row or Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
    Weighted hyperextensions - 2 sets
    Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets

On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. For squats, something like 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. Your fifth set equals the triple from the previous Friday's workout.

Wednesday – Light Day
    Squat – 4 sets of 5
    Incline Bench or Standing Press – 4 sets of 5
    Deadlift – 4 sets of 5
    Sit-ups - 3 sets

On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. An extra fifth set at this same weight can be added. Incline bench/Standing Press and deadlifts are ramped up to a top set of five.

Friday - Medium
    Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
    Barbell Row or Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 for rows
    Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8
    Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets of 8 each

Here is a calculator to help you set up the cycle.

The full routine can be found here. Stick around this site for awhile, reading the pages contained within will endow you with years upon years of knowledge.
    Where are your links ?

Blog Entries
    i found the files...

DOM6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I was working out 3 days a week - felt well rested but desired more. I've been doing 4 days a week - mon-tus-thurs-friday and I love it. When I get on cycle I contemplate working out 5 days a week and hitting one bodypart twice that week.

I mite try that next go around.....

~Haz~
    ^^ thats my goal

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    5 days for me. I would lose my mind if i only trained 3 days. WTF would i do with the other 4 days?

thai-lan is offline Member
    i train no more than 4/5 days a week b/c it seems like i cant get enough recovery

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    5 days for me. I would lose my mind if i only trained 3 days. WTF would i do with the other 4 days?
    same here mon-fri and rest the weekend

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Mon-Legs /Tri's
    Wed-Chest /Shoulders
    Fri-Back/Bi's

On inbetween days -Calves/Abs/Cardio and Forearms

Never been stronger in my life, nor build muscle....less is more...recovery is huge.

For you guys that train 5-6 days ew, do some research on your CNS and muscle recovery.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Mon-Legs /Tri's
    Wed-Chest /Shoulders
    Fri-Back/Bi's

Never been stronger in my life, nor build muscle....less is more...recovery is huge.

For you guys that train 5-6 days ew, do some research on your CNS and muscle recovery.
    Sorry BG but are u saying Pro -BB'ers only train 3/4 days a week? I know i shouldnt refer to them but..... ?

Mon-Legs /Tri's
    Wed-Chest /Shoulders
    Fri-Back/Bi's

Hey BG - question.....

I stopped training body parts that were on the opposite ends of my body in one day like legs/tri's because of the bloodflow issue. If I train my legs hard and then do tri's..... the bloodflow leaves your legs.

Just some thoughts I had..... curious what you have to say about them?

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by *El Diablo* View Post
    Sorry BG but are u saying Pro -BB'ers only train 3/4 days a week? I know i shouldnt refer to them but..... ?

If i remember correctly..... the was a well known bodybuilder that only worked out twice a week. I can't remember his name for the life of me but i remember it had to do with his recovery and he felt he needed a lot of rest.

I think it comes down to personal opinion. I've done 5 days, 4 days, 3 days - I've switched my routine all around...... my 4 day split works perfect. I'm loving it!

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

Blog Entries
    Do bodybuilders work a full time then go to the gym ? Nope. Their job is to eat and sleep.

Mon-Legs /Tri's
    Wed-Chest /Shoulders
    Fri-Back/Bi's

I use to workout 5 days a week and didn't think anything of it. I started reading articles on CNS and really started paying attention to my body (CNS). I never realized how tired i was ALL THE TIME.

hugovsilva is offline Anabolic Member
    I workout 5x a week to keep my workouts as short as possible, not to workout more often.

After hitting one muscle group hard I don't feel like training another one even if its just bi's or tri's.

Quote Originally Posted by hugovsilva View Post
    I workout 5x a week to keep my workouts as short as possible, not to workout more often.

After hitting one muscle group hard I don't feel like training another one even if its just bi's or tri's.
    Just looking at your avitar..... I don't think your routine is working for you..... LMAO

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

BG

I use to workout 5 days a week and didn't think anything of it. I started reading articles on CNS and really started paying attention to my body (CNS). I never realized how tired i was ALL THE TIME.
    Thats exactly it, takes a toll on your immune system also.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BG
    They all do things differently, have you read Yates beliefs?? But you also have to take into account how much gear they use compared to us, plus they train in the am and sleep , then train again in the pm, but everybody needs time out of the gym to recover. Some guys Ive heard take almost a whole month off during the year, cant remember who it was , Ill try to figure it out. But seriously, do some research on your CNS.

BG
    Hey BG - question.....

I stopped training body parts that were on the opposite ends of my body in one day like legs/tri's because of the bloodflow issue. If I train my legs hard and then do tri's..... the bloodflow leaves your legs.

~Haz~
    Hmmm Im not sure about that one....

They all do things differently, have you read Yates beliefs?? But you also have to take into account how much gear they use compared to us, plus they [b]train in the am and sleep , then train again in the pm[/b ], but everybody needs time out of the gym to recover. Some guys Ive heard take almost a whole month off during the year, cant remember who it was , Ill try to figure it out. But seriously, do some research on your CNS.

Sorry yeah, i forgot that they dont have to work like us... lol...makes more sense, tx BG

Hey BG - question.....

~Haz~
    Funny enough i feel the same sh*t ... i trained shoulders today and had a mean pump, then after that i did tri's and in could felt my tri's getting pumped and that the bloodflow of my shoulders went down as my tris started getting pumped..

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by hugovsilva View Post

I agree i only spend about 45 minutes in the gym

Karo is offline Associate Member
    When i'm on cycle I train 5 days per week and take my 2 rest days as needed. I train chest, back, shoulders, legs and arms each on their own day.
    When i'm not on cycle I feel that my body needs longer to recover and I only train 3 days per week with a traditional chest/tri's, back/bi's, shoulders/legs schedule.
    I don't make any tremendous gains when i'm not on cycle and only training 3 days/week. Does anyone? I mainly try to keep my weight up (not lose any gains) and work on my weak points when i'm not on cycle. When i'm on it's balls to the wall!

goose is offline Banned
    Dexter Jackson trains 4 hours per week.

Look how many hours this guys trains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpTaacEtkmQ

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Workout A-
    Chest/Shoulders/Tris/Traps

Workout B-
    Back/Bis/Legs

Mon- A
    Tue-Off
    Wed-B
    Thur-Off
    Fri-A
    Sat-Off
    Sun-Off

Mon- B

Wed-A

Fri- B....and so on....

3 work sets on all exercises, failure on all sets. Medium(6-10),Low(3-5),High(11-15)..

Workout A-
    Flat Bench
    Shoulder Press
    Close Grip
    Shrugs
    Abs

Workout B-
    Squats
    Leg Curls
    Wide Grip Pull Ups
    Bent Over Rows
    Dumbell curls
    Reverse EZbar curls

on the week I workout legs twice, I will substitute one day for deadlifts instead of squats twice in one week...

Epic1 is offline Associate Member
    i dont know about you guys but when i do legs i have a hard time doing anything else after that.

My split that seems to work best for me.
    mon- chest shoulders tri's
    tues off
    wed- legs
    thurs off
    friday- back bi's (sometimes on saturday if my legs are still too sore)
    weekend off

After about 8 weeks i take a whole week off and just eat a little more liberal and then go after it again.

Ill change exercises each week.

Like back day start with lat pull downs one week

then start with deads next week. etc. my body seems to adapt to anything i do real fast so im always looking to change things up often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information