IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru

Bodybuilding Doesn’t Have Anything To Do With Fitness

I think this is seriously some of the dumbest shit I've ever read in my life.

Thirty-five years ago the term “body building “ was synonymous with fitness. But in 2008 these terms are mutually exclusive. If your personal trainer is a bodybuilder, you should move on.

Back in the halcyon days of the mid-1970s bodybuilding rode into the public eye on the muscular back of Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie “Pumping Iron.” Filmmaker George Butler followed Arnold and his fellow competitors as they prepared for the 1975 Mr. Olympia and Mr. Universe contests, and this half-documentary, half-scripted movie is largely responsible for bringing bodybuilding to the masses. Thanks to Arnold’s personality and physical presence, and the interesting mix of characters that comprised the supporting cast of “Pumping Iron,” bodybuilding single-handedly kicked off a fitness craze, the effects of which are still being felt today.

The problem with this is that bodybuilding has nothing to do with fitness. In the mid-70s people saw these massive guys lifting massive weights (ignorant of the fact that steroids were producing the massive physiques) and living this Spartan life-style and figured that this was the way to be fit. Without anything to compare to these guys and their lifestyle, it seemed obvious that lifting weights, following a strict diet and hanging out at the beach was the way to go. At the time, these guys were living a healthier life-style than most people, even with using steroids.

In 2008 – and really for the past 25 years – bodybuilding has moved farther and farther away from the ideals that guys lived by back in the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s. Since at least the ‘60s body builders have relied on steroids to create the physiques that have set them apart from the guy on the street. As time passed guys started using more drugs, higher doses and new substances that helped them get bigger, stronger and freakier. The workouts and diets became less important as the drugs took on more of a role in the development of muscular men and women.

Bodybuilders were using human growth hormone back in the mid-‘80s, almost 20 years before most people ever realized that HGH could be used to enhance performance.

Bodybuilding is based on a fatally flawed training philosophy, a philosophy that places importance on appearance rather than function and breaks down natural, multiple muscle group movements into less-efficient and less-effective component parts. Personal trainers who fancy themselves bodybuilders are doing their clients a disservice as they implement training programs that rely on machines that work single joints and single muscle groups.

Working on equipment that affects a single muscle group is a waste of time. Exercising while sitting down or lying down is foolish and for older members of the population is dangerous and potentially injurious. Yet many personal trainers will tell you that people who have trouble with balance and stability need to use equipment. This misinformation is based in bodybuilding-style thinking.

And at the root of the matter, bodybuilding would not exist if not for the steroids and human growth hormone that are responsible for the physiques that are featured in advertisements and articles that appear in just about every fitness publication.

Unfortunately, bodybuilding-based personal trainers are the last to know that their methods are obsolete and counter-productive. There are actually “nationally recognized” personal training certifying organizations that use bodybuilders as poster boys and girls. One of these organizations advertises their program in all of the major fitness magazines, and their ads actually feature 15-year old pictures of a male body builder doing biceps curls wearing only cut-off overalls and work boots.

In 2008 this kind of nonsense should not be recognized as legitimate personal training/fitness education, or as a worthwhile way to exercise.
    Bodybuilding is the least effective method of training. The only thing that bodybuilding is better than is inactivity, and there’s more than enough evidence that even the most sedentary of folks – both young and old – can benefit from training by doing total body, ground-based exercises.

The protestations come from the devotees that bodybuilding has helped so many people, when the reality is that people would be even that much better off if they had followed a valid training philosophy.

Rather than accept reality, move on and progress, bodybuilders continue to cling to the antiquated, out-dated methods of the past and ignore the reality that surrounds them. Check out any current bodybuilding or fitness magazine and you’ll find routines that feature nothing but machine-based exercises. And really, you don’t need to know how to do 5 different biceps exercises. The biceps are just about the smallest muscle group and you don’t need to spend any real time working on them. Bodybuilders have never understood that using total-body, multi-joint, ground-based exercises are the best way to develop strength and, by extension, a person’s physique.

If you want your arms to get bigger – and get super strong in the process – learn how to do pull-ups the right way, without wrist straps. Learn how to do hang-cleans and dead lifts and the snatch. Performance over appearance.

Before people knew any better it was understandable that bodybuilding was equated with fitness. Now people know a lot better.

Professional certifying organizations such as the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) support and publish research that has advanced the field of conditioning and personal training to the point where real fitness pros know that performance-based methods of training are the most efficient and effective ways for all segments of our population to train.

Bodybuilding personal trainers want their clients to believe that biceps curls, triceps extensions, squats done in a Smith machine and leg extensions and leg curls are the best use of their time and effort. The thought process goes that if it works for John the Juicer, it’ll work for John Doe. Nothing could be further from the truth or reality.

As a matter of fact, the rest of us should ignore anything and everything that bodybuilders do. From the obsession with appearance – and appearance as the main marker of success – to reliance on nutritional supplements with dubious pedigrees, and the core philosophy of the training methods, it’s time for bodybuilding to be put in the scrap heap of history.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Blasphemy!

FranciscoG is offline Anabolic Member
    I stopped reading after ¨Spartan life-style¨ if I remember the movie they were living in pretty nice places and having a good time. Hardly spartan in any image.

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    If your personal trainer is a bodybuilder you should move on.on this article.......

i wouldnt wipe my arse on this article

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    That's a weird article...I'm not even sure why someone would write that?

PistolStarta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    That's a weird article...I'm not even sure why someone would write that?
    Probably a super thin marathon runner type that thinks he's living to 100

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I actually agree with most of what the author is saying. Although I would only say that you shouldnt stay with a trainer that trains one like a bodybuilder if their goals do not warrant such training. I actually never really have any of my clients train like a bodybuilder. Granted most of my clients are older adults with some sort of health condition. I focus on improving their Activities of Daily Living. Skull crushers and barbell squats would not be effective in meeting these training goals. Rather more functional exercises that mimic everyday activities and strengthen weak areas is more suited for that particular client.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Exercising while sitting down or lying down is foolish
    Wow...ok. I'll remember to stand up next time I'm going for my 1RM on flat bench.

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I actually agree with most of what the author is saying. Although I would only say that you shouldnt stay with a trainer that trains one like a bodybuilder if their goals do not warrant such training. I actually never really have any of my clients train like a bodybuilder. Granted most of my clients are older adults with some sort of health condition. I focus on improving their Activities of Daily Living. Skull crushers and barbell squats would not be effective in meeting these training goals. Rather more functional exercises that mimic everyday activities and strengthen weak areas is more suited for that particular client.
    X2 minus the client part

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    So many people believe AAS is "the easy way" to gain muscle.

time passed guys started using more drugs, higher doses and new substances that helped them get bigger, stronger and freakier. The workouts and diets became less important as the drugs took on more of a role in the development

Anyone that takes this lifestyle seriously knows this is false. In fact, diet becomes much more important and training that much more intense. AAS is just one piece of the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post
    So many people believe AAS is "the easy way" to gain muscle.

time passed guys started using more drugs, higher doses and new substances that helped them get bigger, stronger and freakier. The workouts and diets became less important as the drugs took on more of a role in the development

Anyone that takes this lifestyle seriously knows this is false. In fact, diet becomes much more important and training that much more intense. AAS is just one piece of the puzzle.
    Another ABC news know-it-all running his mouth. This guy obviously doesn't know dick from diddle. What bothers me the most is that there are undoubtedly people who take him for more than he is.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i agree with the bodybuilders not being very healthy.

i consider someone to be a BB if they are competing or plan to compete. what most of us do is lift weights and train hard.. im not a bb and never want to be.

the guys we see on stage are at such a depleted level that it is very unhealthy. throw int he amount of chems they are taking and these guys are walking fvking heart attacks.

and Nooomoto- im not a pro but i would not advise u to do the bench press standing up...lol

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    ^^^^^ agree with moose, pro bodybuilders wont be that fit, but most people i know who lift weights are fit.....especially fitter than the piss heads i know.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    you can't paint a blanket statement like this; Mariusz Pudzianowski is the world's strongest strongman and looks like a bodybuilder. Are you telling trying to tell me that this guy isn't fit?

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    ^^^^^ agree with moose, pro bodybuilders wont be that fit, but most people i know who lift weights are fit.....especially fitter than the piss heads i know.
    +1. Anyone performing anaerobic activity on a regular basis is going to be way more fit than mr. joe average couch potato

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck.....because we all look so unhealthy!!!

loftros is offline Junior Member
    I hate to say it, but the article is right for the most part...bodybuilding isn't really "healthy". Our bodies were only meant to carry so much muscle and I dont know why everyone on this site disregards the fact that drugs are a HUGE part of bodybuilding and growing for that matter. Drug use in the pro circuit is ridiculous and people are obviously using more drugs/higher doses than ever before. The more you take/eat the bigger you get..simple as that. But that part about bodybuilders being terrible PT's is just weird lol.

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week

powerful intelligent is offline Associate Member
    I guess it depends on what you do. bodybuilding for the sake of just getting more muscle-bigger arms,broader chest,etc is not healthy. A holistic approach to bodybuilding such as increasing power inproving cardiovacular capacity improving immune system is a benifit to anybody. Yes taking those drugs ( without education) leads to bodybuilders being unhealthy and that is not the example people such as myself should follow. However, everybody benifits from and athletic/bodybuilding lifestyle and they can have a progressivly healthy lifestyle just like any athletic endeavor.

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    Pros are not healthy, you can choose to fool urselves to state that bb is healthy, or is not that bad. Or there are worse things out there but bottom line competitive bbers are not healthy.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    i farted

Quote Originally Posted by powerful intelligent View Post
    I guess it depends on what you do. bodybuilding for the sake of just getting more muscle-bigger arms,broader chest,etc is not healthy. A holistic approach to bodybuilding such as increasing power inproving cardiovacular capacity improving immune system is a benifit to anybody. Yes taking those drugs ( without education) leads to bodybuilders being unhealthy and that is not the example people such as myself should follow. However, everybody benifits from and athletic/bodybuilding lifestyle and they can have a progressivly healthy lifestyle just like any athletic endeavor.
    Immersing yourself in a bodybuilding lifestyle is very holistic. Eating properly, getting your rest, reducing stress in your life are all things that will increase your success as a bodybuilder. This is at all levels. Individuals have different goals with their physiques. Some want large defined muscles, some want to look like underwear models. Who works harder to achieve their goals?

Certain aspects of bodybuilding at high levels may be unhealthy. That is the extreme side of the sport. But to say a bodybuilder is not fit is ridiculous.

playboii is offline Senior Member
    i agree that alot of people that "body build" are very stupid & unhealthy with what they do. but this article is very wrong in a lot of areas.

Serotonin is offline Member
    Just sounds like a butt-hurt author.

ArmedHammerd is offline Associate Member
    Just like some people think you will be in the best shape in your life running and thats it weight training is the best way to go

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    I'm not sure what the article says, but in terms of "health" (not sure if they're using "fitness" as synonymous with "health") but I've met a great deal of avg bodybuilders in my personal life who are the UNHEALTHIEST people I've ever met.

Doing drugs on the weekend, binge drinking all the time, running cycles like idiots, not doing pcts, not even taking off time between cycles, eating too much protein and meats, not eating enough veggies, living on energy drinks, caffiene/stimulants etc. Its too hard to really go to the extent of saying that MOST bb are like this however because I know a good share who are extremely healthy too.
    Never put anything in their bodies, don't abuse steroids but use them modestly and responsibly, take vitamins etc, actually stay hydrated, do lots of cardio to keep their hearts strong, don't smoke, eat a well balanced diet, etc etc.

What I'm saying is the term "bodybuilder" can't be generalized towards either group of people. Its too general and people are too different. Because its possible to be a bb and not be healthy, and its also possible to bodybuild and be healthy, you're always gonna find guys on both sides of the fence. I prob should have read the article, but if its being generalized to all or most bbs, it most def is not accurate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    I'm not sure what the article says, but in terms of "health" (not sure if they're using "fitness" as synonymous with "health") but I've met a great deal of avg bodybuilders in my personal life who are the UNHEALTHIEST people I've ever met.

Doing drugs on the weekend, binge drinking all the time, running cycles like idiots, not doing pcts, not even taking off time between cycles, eating too much protein and meats, not eating enough veggies, living on energy drinks, caffiene/stimulants etc. Its too hard to really go to the extent of saying that MOST bb are like this however because I know a good share who are extremely healthy too.
    Never put anything in their bodies, don't abuse steroids but use them modestly and responsibly, take vitamins etc, actually stay hydrated, do lots of cardio to keep their hearts strong, don't smoke, eat a well balanced diet, etc etc.

What I'm saying is the term "bodybuilder" can't be generalized towards either group of people. Its too general and people are too different. Because its possible to be a bb and not be healthy, and its also possible to bodybuild and be healthy, you're always gonna find guys on both sides of the fence. I prob should have read the article, but if its being generalized to all or most bbs, it most def is not accurate at all.
    I don't define the group that does not follow bodybuilding protocol to be bodybuilders. At best, wannabees.

Thread Information