Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kibble is offline Anabolic Member

Need help... Memorial Day cook-off

Some buddies of mine and I are going to be participating in a BBQ cookoff to kick off memorial day. We will all have to do a 1/2 slab of ribs for the tasting contest. Now, I plan on smoking these ribs for 8-10 hours, and I want to win. The problem is, I am in Korea. And in Korea, BBQ accessories are terrible.

I want to find a great smoking wood. I have only used Hickory and Mesquite (that is all they have here). I have heard about cherry, pecan, apple and peach wood. I was thinking of trying some wood off of an orange tree. Basically, I am wondering if any of you all would know which wood would better suit a slap of ribs. I am looking for a sweet-citrusy and semi-spicy flavor. No BBQ sauce is allowed, so I cannot use Sweet Baby Rays.

Please help bros, I need to get this wood ordered ASAP!!! I also need to find some better charcoal than my standard Kingsford briquetes. I need to find a charcoal that emits NO odor at all!! This really matters because I have been talking up a big game about my ribs, and I guess it is time to put it to the test. So, what wood should it be? Any ideas for charcoal?

BTW, I use chimney starters, and I am smoking everything in an offset Kingsford smoker. I will be using water pans as well. I already have the seasoning down, the smoke is where the TRUE flavor is!! Thanks!!

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    cant help you mate.......BUT ive just drooled all down my laptop! haha

Kingweb50 is offline Member
    I like to use apple wood for smoking.

FranciscoG is offline Anabolic Member
    The thread I didnt need to read on keto day.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    fvk this, im eating ribs tonight.....

I just want to win this competition for real!! I will not eat the ribs (since they are for competition), but I will grill some pulled pork off to the side so I have something to snack on while I am smokin those babybacks!!! I am not sure what cut to yse for the comp....

St Louis, or Baby Back? I need suggestions guys!

Here are some pictures from my last BBQ. If I am doing a straight up southern BBQ I would add pulled pork, shrimp, clams and smoked sausage!

I am hungry

Also, in the picture of condiments, I did not have the mustard or olive oil out. I wasn't exactly preparing for a photoshoot lol... just wanted to make a buddy mad that he missed out

By the way, the meat in the pictures are a full butcher bag of brisket (trimmed and separated both parts), and 2 full slabs of babybacks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help... Memorial Day cook-off-l_809858e6f62b4881a24c869982423264.jpg   Need help... Memorial Day cook-off-l_e2b8a7ef42dd4d99945c824444ee6a09.jpg   Need help... Memorial Day cook-off-l_33718ca776ef4ded9b42697f6aea64ae.jpg   Need help... Memorial Day cook-off-l_763db07c0b884911bb723a3fd9abe4b7.jpg   Need help... Memorial Day cook-off-l_5e0db0e4fb2b421e9c36bf14c273ef41.jpg  

DangerDave is offline Associate Member
    man that looks so good

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    too good!! bigkuntry should be banned!! lol

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    What is in your seasoning, that can play a big role in the wood you use. I like to use hickory or pecan wood for ribs, but I know more about brisket.

Also, why would you trim a brisket??? You do know that is where a lot of the flavor comes from right??

Quote Originally Posted by jccnewbie View Post
    What is in your seasoning, that can play a big role in the wood you use. I like to use hickory or pecan wood for ribs, but I know more about brisket.

Also, why would you trim a brisket??? You do know that is where a lot of the flavor comes from right??
    For several reasons. For one, there is more fat on a brisket than on any other meat out there. That shit it saturated with hard and soft fats. Another reason, is that fat gives off a different temperature reading than the beef itself. SO when I stick the thermometer in to see if the meat is finished, I would get a false reading.

Now I do leave a considerable amount of fat on the brisket, You cannot see it because I took a picture with the 'pretty' side up. But when I smoke the brisket, I turn it around, so that the fat side is pointing towards the sky, That way the fat can drizzle down and keep the meat moist while it climbs to 190 degrees. Bro I have spent years trying to perfect BBQing..... but I am ALWAYS open to suggestions. That is why I started the thread. Next week I am going to buy a few butcher bags of ribs and beef so I can get some practice. I also need to order the wood soon.

This is why I love the Spring (when it finally comes), because my smoker is going to free the souls of a few hogs this year!!

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    this thread is making me very hungry.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    LOL
    That's going to be my son in a few months!! He will have his own tenderloin before he even has any teeth!!

Thread Information