Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member

My dog was hit by a car

I don't even know why I'm posting this here. It hurts so much I just need to hear from someone else that has been through this. It's my worst nightmare come true. My 4 year old Pitbull got away from me the other night and ran into the street and got hit and was killed instantly. I don't know what happened, he must have seen something because he never goes out in the front yard especially near the street but I heard a loud bang and ran to the road and there was my precious Baby Boy laying on the side of the road. I was just napping with him on the couch so it felt surreal. I thought it was a bad dream and kept trying to wake up. I had to pick him up and carry him back to the house screaming the whole way like a lunatic, a feeling I will never forget. He was all torn up with his eyes open I couldn't believe this was my dog. He was so handsome and loved people including my daughter and he loved my female too. I've never had a bond with a dog like I did with Mojo and now he's gone. He was really the only thing that brought real joy to my life so now I feel empty. It's been two days and I still can't get the visions out of my head of his battered limp body laying there in front of the house. I have never loved anything the way I loved that dog. I know that may sound strange to some people but unless you've been through what I have and you're a dog lover you won't understand. Of course I'm thinking of getting another dog because they say that is the only way to make the pain go away but I can't just pick out some random dog after all I went through to rescue him from a kill shelter.
    I'm sorry to go on and on I'm just hurting so bad right now. Thank god for my best friend who came by first thing in the morning and took the body to the vet. He filled out all the papers and even paid for the cremation. This makes me think about what George carlin once said, "When you buy a pet you are buying a small tragedy." Anyway, thanks for listening and please anyone that has lost a dog like this tell me how you dealt with it. Should I wait to get another dog? I know there are tons of dogs out there that need rescuing.

lovestospooge23 is offline Associate Member
    damn that sucks to hear i've lost a cat and a dog so far and its so much more worse when it happends suddenly.

Quo
    Quo is offline Associate Member
    Oh, man. I'm so sorry. This is the worst. I had a cat for 21 years. Since I was a little boy. I'm not ashamed to admit that when we had to put him down, I've never cried harder in my whole life. Losing a pet is the hardest thing ever. I am sorry, my man. Hope you feel better soon.

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss. I have lost many animals in my life but the most tragic was my first kitten when I was about 10 or 11. Two dogs used her as a chew toy right in front of me in my own front yard tearing her to pieces. Losing a pet is like losing a best friend, hang in there bro, only time will heal.

This dog was like a son to me. My daughter is 15 now and moved away with her mother, she barely speaks to me. He was my family. Talk about unconditional love. He was always there no matter what kind of day I had or what was going on in my life Mojo could always make me feel better. I never in a million years thought I could lose him like this. He should be right here at my feet or nudging the keyboard with his nose. I still have my female but I just never had that connection with her. I'm certainly going to pay much more attention to her as she is 8 years old now. I was wanting to get another dog but now I don't know. I can't replace him. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Quo
    Quo is offline Associate Member
    Ah, bro. I know exactly how you're feeling right now. Exactly. My little cat was like a brother or a best friend to me. It hurts real bad. But you'll always have the memories. Hang tight.

Blog Entries
    im sorry for your loss bro....ive had pets that i love die before but never in the manner that you did....i wish i had some words of inspiration for you but i am at a loss for what to say exept im truly sorry your going through this pain....and although its hard,try not to blame yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    im sorry for your loss bro....ive had pets that i love die before but never in the manner that you did....i wish i had some words of inspiration for you but i am at a loss for what to say exept im truly sorry your going through this pain....and although its hard,try not to blame yourself....
    I was just laying on the couch with him stroking his back and head and 30 minutes later his body is mangled in the road with deep gouges on his side and head and his ear that I always play with is torn. I can't believe this happened. Nobody even stopped, they just left him laying there in the street. God I would pray if it meant that he didn't feel anything. I so hope it was instant.

So many people knew how I was with this dog I've been getting calls and condolences from friends and family for 2 days now. You'd think my daughter died. the other problem is now I am resenting my wife because she is the one that let him out without a leash and obviously didn't check on him. She is the same one that wanted me to get rid of the dogs last year so we could get an apartment together. Our relationship is already on the rocks because she is cold, insensitive and totally indifferent to what happens between us and now the most precious thing to me in my life is gone because of her. This could very well end my marriage.

slimy is offline Associate Member
    I'm a huge animal person as well. I would much rather deal with animals on a daily basis, as opposed to people.

Problem with raising animals in a domestic setting. Most (cats, dogs, some birds) live their entire lives ( birth, adulthood, death) in a relatively short ( as opposed to humans) term. They can live to a ripe old age and die, all while you are still alive. When something unexpected happens, and that very short time is shortened more, it tends to hurt more. Animals that we are connected to die, and it sucks. And I am sorry. Nothing I can say to you will change the fact that it is going to suck for you for a while.

Now as far as getting another dog, my advice would be to wait. You need time to mourn your friend. If you get a puppy too soon, you will unfairly compare it to your lost buddy. That will make neither of you happy. Remember that you have a female. And she just lost her buddy, too. Take some time with her. Dogs have emotions. This could be a huge bonding thing with her.

My condolences. And good luck.

cobra305 is offline Member
    Damn brother I am sorry to hear about your loss as an animal lover. i worked at a vet for 8 years before my current profession and loss of a loved one is tough. Time will heal all wounds, just remember the good times. Best of luck. Words will not make things better only time.

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    I don't know exactly what you're going through but I have an idea. I love dogs soooo much and had a 1 year old Pit Bull named Ceili. When me and the Ex broke up she took the dog and I never get to see her anymore. I miss my Dog so much! She was the best part of my world. I don't know what it would be like to experience her being dead. Only thing that makes me happy is thinking of her still running around playing and having fun!

Don't rush into a new dog. It's been almost 2 years since she took mine and I still haven't gotten another.... you'll know when the time is right... you'll feel the connection when you find that special dog to fill the void.

Good Luck

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    i have 3 pitbulls myself andd idk what id do if that happened to them. but i can relate to u as i had a cat that was my best friend and when i lost him it took me 6months to look for another cat and when i got one it was odd but it helped a lot it really did. im very sorry this happen to u i really really do and iv bred pitbulls(im not again for a while)but i have a friend is a pit breeder and if ur interested in a new pup i can help you out on getn a deal or maybe a free one.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry man, I know the feeling and the pain of what has happened to you, my dog is the number one thing in my life.

RIP Mojo

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    damn bro sorry for your loss, i lost mine a little over a year ago ( actually had to have her put to sleep ) and i just now over the last couple of months have felt like getting another and as you she was with me when no one else was and i went thru some f n bad days but that pup was always there just me and her.

ftp
    ftp is offline Banned
    jersey bro. no lie- i teared up when i just read this. my baby girl shepard was just 2 years old when the same all of a sudden collapsed of a heart attack.. i didnt see it happen. i came home and was told about it. this was 3 months ago.. i never thought the death of an animal can get to me the way it did.... the bond was just as close as your bond.. she was even closer with my brother and most of all father. this dog was part of our family. she went EVERYWHERE with us. and I mean everywhere. my dad took this very hard as well.. i was depressed man. you are not alone. this is a horrible feeling which is completely normal.. i still think of her everyday.. time does heal the aches and pins but every time i think of her i tear up and get in a bad mood.... i feel your pain and will pray for you...... it will get better friend. hang in there.... this also showed me how much to value and cherish your family. i took it as a serious wake up call...... best of luck bro..... keep your head up

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member
    from the time I was 4 until 17 I had a yellow lab boy, he was not the smartest dog in the world but I have never in my life seen a dog more loving than him and we have had several labs. I live on a farm and every single step I took through the field or in the yard in those 13 years he was literally right beside me, he basically raised me. I have never seen a dog before that instead of running away if you would raise your hand to scold them would come closer to you and just stick their head between your legs. No matter how mad I was at the world or how bad things got he was the one thing no matter what i could guarantee would be there for me.

I was at school one day and got a call from my dad telling me willy had been run over. My heart dropped, I raced home to find my dad sitting on the ground holding him in his arms and crying, I had never in my life seen him so much as shed a tear before. My dad had been fencing and had gotten in the truck to move it down and when he called for the dogs to get out from under the trailer willy didnt hear him he was sound asleep under it where my dad couldnt see him.

When i walked up my dad was crying saying he didnt mean to and didnt see him and how sorry he was and i could barely hold back crying myself. I picked him up and carried him to the truck as gently as i could to keep things as pain free as possible and laid him in the back seat to drive him to the vet. When we got there we knew he had to be put to sleep so I laid him on the table and we pet him goodbye as he slowly slipped away. I dont think I have ever felt so lost and empty in my life, I couldnt hold back the tears anymore I just broke down.

I havent cried a single time since that happened until now when i just typed this last paragraph. Ive never loved a dog like him and never will forget him

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    /\ Same here. (edit was talking to ftp) I'm not a sensitive person at all but I did not blink once reading the entire post, tried to move my head away from the screen but was too drawn in to the intensity.

That is fvckn intense jersey bro. And don't ever assume anyone would think you balling is weird. In my eyes the pain you feel when you lose a loved animal is the SAME exact pain you feel when you lose a loved family member.

You are ALLOWED to hurt bro, you are allowed to cry and get that anger/sadness out of you. Don't hold that shit in. But one thing I genuinely want to say is don't feel like you need to be sad as a way of validating his life or his value to you.
    Like "if I don't cry, that would be wrong because of how much I love him".

I DO just want you to keep in the back of your mind that you & your dog had a bond, that dog prob gave you SO MUCH JOY & HAPPINESS, more then a lot of people to keep it real. We learn these little simple and wonderful secrets from animals we love that we could NEVER learn from people. Dogs teach us what real unconditional love is, not people. But what I was telling you to keep in your mind is that your dog genuinely would NOT want you to be in an unbearable state of pain, he WOULD want you to be happy.
    And I know thats impossible for you right now, but I do think you need to NOT be hard on yourself. I do think your little buddy would have truely wanted that for you.

Also bro, I had a beloved dog let out once by the plumber and he was gone for 3 hours before we found him on the side of a road. It was a very dark day, but there IS light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your chin up & try to be strong, if not for yourself, do it for him. Take care bro and if you ever need help don't be afraid to turn to another Jersey boy. We're all here to help each other.

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member
    Read this online awhile back:

Why Dogs Don't Live As Long

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old
    Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa,
    and their little boy, Shane were all very attached to Belker and they
    were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying
    of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker,
    and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in
    their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would
    be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They
    felt Shane could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
    family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for
    the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.
    Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy
    seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or
    confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud
    about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him.

What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more
    comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that they can
    learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody and being
    nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, animals already
    know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattymcbutterpants View Post
    Read this online awhile back:

Why Dogs Don't Live As Long

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old
    Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa,
    and their little boy, Shane were all very attached to Belker and they
    were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying
    of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker,
    and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in
    their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would
    be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They
    felt Shane could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
    family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for
    the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.
    Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy
    seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or
    confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud
    about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him.

What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more
    comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that they can
    learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody and being
    nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, animals already
    know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Great point, I have never been much of a dog person growing up with cats, but since i have had my schnouzer, I have never felt so much love. I don't know what I would do if right now if she dies so tragically.... Jersey, my heart geos out to you bro. hang in there, seems like you have a lot of people who feel for you now. Time will heal.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Im not a dog person but it still made me tear up. Sorry for your loss.

Nice story fattymcbutterpants, also a tear jerker.

I think I am not a dog lover for the above reasons. I have had enough loss in my life, I dont need any more.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

I am very sorry for your loss.

Here's some pics of my "Baby Boy"

I have hundreds of pics and videos but here's a couple to share with you the dog that I loved so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My dog was hit by a car-dsc02133.jpg   My dog was hit by a car-06-07-08_2001.jpg   My dog was hit by a car-photo0401.jpeg   My dog was hit by a car-l_2a32e625e330eab0d594bf38d7d706e3.gif   My dog was hit by a car-dsc02382.jpg  

Thanks so much guys for being there to listen. I've been keeping my eyes open for another Pit. I know of a litter of blues but I don't need to spend $500 on one just to have some papers. There are plenty of dogs that need homes and I'm not so sure I want one in the infantcy stage. I got Mojo at 10 weeks.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Nice doggy all right can see why you feel so bad. But it will get better and remember all the good times you have had with him. And coming experience if you get a shelter animal it will be one of the these most rewarding things you will have ever done.

OhioMuscle22 is offline Associate Member
    sorry for ur loss bro. we had a cat die in the family and it was definetly a lot rougher time than what i thought it would be. I finally got my first cat and his name is calvin (after calvin johnson). and i couldnt imagine how i would feel if this happened to him. Keep ur head up, hes in a lot better place than we are.

ftp
    ftp is offline Banned
    jerseyboy- what a beautiful dog. i wrote something for you on top, but i just wanted to say please stay strong my friend. i am very sorry for your loss. i know what you are going through. it sucks. its the worst. i know. you are not alone. gd bless

I'm bringing him home tomorrow. We had a private cremation for him so his ashes will be in a wooden box with an engraved plaque with his name on it. I'll put it in my drawer right next to the bed.
    I was holding a friend's 8 week old Pit puppy tonite and it felt so good. Its only been a couple days but I can't help but feel that getting another dog will make me feel so much better. I just don't want it to be rushed. Nothing can replace him but I need it to be special, we need to connect on the same level. Pits are such people dogs it's hard to find one that doesn't show so much affection. I guess I will know when the time is right.

You guys are the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My dog was hit by a car-mojo.jpeg  

My female won't go outside without me even with my wife. She won't come to bed until I do. She's laying on the floor right outside the den right now waiting for me. She's been having dreams or nightmares I guess. Anyone that says dogs and especially pits don't have a soul or a conscience are nuts. They may not be on the same level as we are intellectually or whatever but I prefer my dogs over most people. When it comes to just die hard simple love, companionship and loyalty nothing compares to a Pitbull. I love all dogs but I just feel that Pits are just a little bit higher up there. American Temperment Test Society these dogs rated a 83.4%, that is only .2% lower than a golden retriever and higher than the cocker spaniel who rated 81.5%, and a collie who rated 79.0%. After all they are rated as the #2 dog in relation to humans.

ftp
    ftp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    My female won't go outside without me even with my wife. She won't come to bed until I do. She's laying on the floor right outside the den right now waiting for me. She's been having dreams or nightmares I guess. Anyone that says dogs and especially pits don't have a soul or a conscience are nuts. They may not be on the same level as we are intellectually or whatever but I prefer my dogs over most people. When it comes to just die hard simple love, companionship and loyalty nothing compares to a Pitbull. I love all dogs but I just feel that Pits are just a little bit higher up there. American Temperment Test Society these dogs rated a 83.4%, that is only .2% lower than a golden retriever and higher than the cocker spaniel who rated 81.5%, and a collie who rated 79.0%. After all they are rated as the #2 dog in relation to humans.
    1000% agree my friend. keep your head up... obviously this dog meant the world to you.. once again my prayers are with you.. be strong bro.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    I always remember a thing that was said once about a dog, not that this is in reference to you but just about dogs in general.

"We give them the time we can spare,
    the room we can spare,
    and the love we can spare"

In return;

"They give us there absolute all"

Again sorry for you, I looked at my dog after your post and just hope nothing like that ever happens to him.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    dogs definately know when someone in their small pack is gone. I feel sorry for ya cus I know I'd be totally pissed if my wife let the dog out without a leesh.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    dogs are a mystery to me. you can beat the living shit out of them and they come back and love you like no other. they bring more joy to people than 99% of people can. they give unconditional love and joy without expecting anything in return. what kind a creature is willing to do that?

i had a bagle(beagle/basset mix) for most of my childhood, when i got the phone call from my dad that he had to be put down i cried like a school girl. i didnt care, that dog ment more to me than anything i ever had. fast forward a couple years, my grandma died and everyone at the funeral cried except for me. sorry for your lose, i really am.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss. It seems you treated your dog like a king in the time you had together. It was an unfortunate accident that only time will heal. Hang in there. Eventually you'll start remembering more of your good times together and less of this unfortunate event.

Thanks again guys. I'm still totally dysfunctional. Actually I'm a ****ing walking disaster. I don't know if I mentioned that I got him cremated but the box they sent him back in was really nice hand carved wood. I couldn't have asked for more except they spelled his name wrong on the nameplate. If I can bring myself to do it I'll get his face laser etched on a plate. I just can't stop saying I'm sorry to him for letting this happen. I've talked to so many people that have lost their dogs but not the way I did. It's going to take forever for my brain to process these images into something that I can live with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My dog was hit by a car-box.jpeg   My dog was hit by a car-mojo.jpeg  
    Last edited by jerseyboy; 03-26-2010 at 05:46 PM.

optimus is offline New Member
    I am really sorry to hear that you lost such a great friend. dogs are amazing creatures, give them some food, water and a scratch on the head and they in turn will give you their whole world. stay strong. take some time to reflect on the loss of such a friend. about getting another dog, you will know when the time is right.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all the sentiments. Things have gotten easier to the point where I can talk about him now without tearing up. We chat about all the funny stuff he used to do. I guess my brain shoved those images back somewhere deep and dark because they have definitely faded into something I can live with. I still miss him to death and it doesn't help that my wife and I seperated. I give my female tons of extra attention now and I don't let her out of my sight. I know she's lonely too so maybe one of these days I'll be able to get another pup to keep her company.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    went through this twice in the past 10yrs, its like losing a person, heartbreaking

vanduhl is offline Senior Member
    hey bro, i can honestly say i havent gone through what you have but it was painful even reading ur story. im real sorry man. stay strong buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information