Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the big 1 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

***best ever training style***

i thought it would be interesting to see what training style is most used by the majority of the members on the board purely for building muscle mass....

i know a lot of people change and cycle routines so lets hear them aswell please...

be it HIT, periodization, german volume, 5x5 or just straight sets, lets hear them...

what routine do you find the most effective for purely building muscle and size ? also, why do you think its superior to most others....

personally i love HIT, and alternate between it with a higher volume program which is based on straight sets....

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    HITT anal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    HITT anal.
    yep, thats how this thread turned out, intensily anal !!! lol...

dsm, i thought you were a dogg crap enthuiast ? lets keep your bedroom fantasys private for now, all this anal talk is putting me off my lunch !!!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    I do nothing fancy, just keep chaning up my routines exersises and use predominantly dumbells... seems to work not bad.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the big 1 View Post
    yep, thats how this thread turned out, intensily anal !!! lol...

dsm, i thought you were a dogg crap enthuiast ? lets keep your bedroom fantasys private for now, all this anal talk is putting me off my lunch !!!
    Like knock out said I change it up. I did it for a little bit and liked it. After about 6 weeks I changed it up. It'll come back around and when it does I have the numbers in my log to see how I am improving.

Blog Entries
    so you guys dont use a log book or have a set routine...?

i used to just set out what muscles to train on certain days, then just thrash the hell out of it...that worked well up to a certain point like most programs i suppose...but then i got overtrained and started to feel like shit...gains stopped...

now im trying to structure everthing so i dont platue as fast...

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    I use a log book, but don't do anything fancy..
    Typical week is

Monday - Back/Biceps/Shoulders
    Wednesday - Legs/Abs
    Friday - Chest/Triceps

3-4 sets of 8-12, last set of each muscle group is always to failure..

always do 6 workouts (5 for legs) in 60 minutes then just recently follow up with 15 min cardio...

i always stick to the basics, focus on form and try to incorporate Negatives when possible.. Put on about 20-24lbs of muscle in the past year using nothing but protien shakes doing this.. Problem is im a smoker and a drinker on the weekends (I'm Irish what do you want from me) so I had put off Cardio until recently...

Ive always been a believer that your DIET is more important then your TRAINING, especially if you got proper genetics/supplementation

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    if im going all out, then 3 day splits, if im maintaining i'll hit it 5-6 days a week

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    so you guys dont use a log book or have a set routine...?
    I set out my routines every 6 - 8 weeks... find it too annoying to carry a log book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    I use a log book, but don't do anything fancy..
    Typical week is

Monday - Back/Biceps/Shoulders
    Wednesday - Legs/Abs
    Friday - Chest/Triceps

3-4 sets of 8-12, last set of each muscle group is always to failure..

always do 6 workouts (5 for legs) in 60 minutes then just recently follow up with 15 min cardio...

i always stick to the basics, focus on form and try to incorporate Negatives when possible.. Put on about 20-24lbs of muscle in the past year using nothing but protien shakes doing this.. Problem is im a smoker and a drinker on the weekends (I'm Irish what do you want from me) so I had put off Cardio until recently...

Ive always been a believer that your DIET is more important then your TRAINING, especially if you got proper genetics/supplementation
    good gains for a year, have you just started out ?

i also use negatives, but only on a 3 day split as they tax my CNS majorly.

i think diet and training is a 50/50 thing, your diet can be spot on but you have poor training and vice versa, both are equally important to me...

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    For mass and strength or during a bulk: DC Training
    For cutting or trying to maintain: basic training, something like this:

M:Chest
    T:Back
    W: Legs
    Th: Shoulders
    F: Arms
    Sat/Sunday: Rest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    I set out my routines every 6 - 8 weeks... find it too annoying to carry a log book.
    yeah, it can get annoying. when im logging my results in the gym my book gets covered in sweat, and my hand writing is shit where im shaking so much...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post

damn, i could never do 5 days straight !!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    if im going all out, then 3 day splits, if im maintaining i'll hit it 5-6 days a week
    what training style?

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    what training style?
    nothing fancy, similar to machine 5150, all out strength stuff i tend to keep my compound lifts 4-6 reps

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    Powerlifting...
    You know, building your routine around the three major lifts, Bench Press, Deadlift, and Squat.
    Always going heavy, and going to failure.

Whatever else you do, you will see the best results if you incorporate heavy bench, squat, and dead.

The absolute best bodybuilders, strongmen, and various other athletes from different sports all credit their success to having a background in powerlifting.

There is a video I saw recently, I will try to find it. The first half is Scott Mendelson talking about his life and training, and the second half is talking about powerlifting and its benefits in general. Only about 10 minutes long, but I really enjoyed it.

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    Ok, this is the video, worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSDgkPTeRww

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Powerlifting...
    You know, building your routine around the three major lifts, Bench Press, Deadlift, and Squat.
    Always going heavy, and going to failure.

Whatever else you do, you will see the best results if you incorporate heavy bench, squat, and dead.

The absolute best bodybuilders, strongmen, and various other athletes from different sports all credit their success to having a background in powerlifting.

There is a video I saw recently, I will try to find it. The first half is Scott Mendelson talking about his life and training, and the second half is talking about powerlifting and its benefits in general. Only about 10 minutes long, but I really enjoyed it.
    I agree, a solid foundation is always built from lifting heavy with the big 3, thanks for the video
    Last edited by the big 1; 08-03-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    i just recently started the 5x5 routine and am liking it so far....ive always trained high volume with straight sets to gain muscle and it has worked well but know i want to really increase my lifts so ill try training for strenght/power for a while and see how it goes....

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I developed my own routine and it's working wonders for me. Took me 8 years to figure out what works for me really. I use mainly dumbells for bench..... barbell is crap IMO. Squats I no longer do with a barbell either..... it's all deep hack squats. All three heads are now poppin on my leg and my knees are thanking me!

I really just wear out whatever muscle i'm working. Every 4-5 weeks I might hit a muscle group twice in that week.

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I developed my own routine and it's working wonders for me. Took me 8 years to figure out what works for me really. I use mainly dumbells for bench..... barbell is crap IMO. Squats I no longer do with a barbell either..... it's all deep hack squats. All three heads are now poppin on my leg and my knees are thanking me!

I really just wear out whatever muscle i'm working. Every 4-5 weeks I might hit a muscle group twice in that week.

~Haz~
    im going to have to try the hack squat...ive always done barbell squats cus i thought that would give me the best results but i need to develope the teardrop more so i think its time for a change....and you find it easyer on the knees?..ive always thought that thay where tougher on the knees but then again ive never really played with the angle of the base plate so maybee thats my problem....its good to pick others brains once in a while to get ideas...thanx....

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    im going to have to try the hack squat...ive always done barbell squats cus i thought that would give me the best results but i need to develope the teardrop more so i think its time for a change....and you find it easyer on the knees?..ive always thought that thay where tougher on the knees but then again ive never really played with the angle of the base plate so maybee thats my problem....its good to pick others brains once in a while to get ideas...thanx....
    ive been doing barbell hack squats for past few months and damn... they work well. overall quads are def growing. i think they are easier on my knees also.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    dc training is what im doin now.. with a 4 day split

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    modified westside

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    i just recently started the 5x5 routine and am liking it so far....ive always trained high volume with straight sets to gain muscle and it has worked well but know i want to really increase my lifts so ill try training for strenght/power for a while and see how it goes....
    sounds like a good idea...5x5 is one of them old school routines that never got left behind...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post

~Haz~
    thats cool, would say the big 3 played a key role in your early years of lifting though..?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    modified westside
    respect... hows that going for you?

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    good gains for a year, have you just started out ?

i also use negatives, but only on a 3 day split as they tax my CNS majorly.

i think diet and training is a 50/50 thing, your diet can be spot on but you have poor training and vice versa, both are equally important to me...
    i just started again.. i trained from when i was 16 till i was 21.. had a job that required 12 hour days 6 days a week for five years... so i just started in the gym again a year ago.. I love muscle memory.. i'm just about where i was six years ago.. gonna do my first cycle in 6 years starting in a couple weeks..

I agree it is 50/50.. what i should have said is diet is too often neglected.. atleast in my own opinion.. that is the hard thing to get around.. training has always come natural to me and easy to others.. it is done in a few hours a week... Dieting is something you have to do every day five or six times a day.. constantly in the back of your mind..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PC650 View Post
    dc training is what im doin now.. with a 4 day split
    tried it, love it !

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    respect... hows that going for you?
    Working great! I've seen tremendous gains through it. I've modified it a little bit because I also compete in strongman as well as powerlifting. Westside principles increase both strength and muscle size as well as good conditioning when you incorporate slep pulls and tireflips, as well as high rep cleans and/or snatches for conditioning.

Quite different training style from when I was playing football. Then I did mostly Rippetoe's advanced 5x5 workouts but I combined lots of football type conditioning and explosive work as well.

IMO, there is no perfect routine. Every person is different so one must continually modify their work depending on how their feeling, injuries, level of athleticism, and their goals.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    keep changing every week, I do workout 5 straight days sat and sun is my rest day...
    I mixed them doing drop sets, straight sets, supersets, ect....

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I like to use the big 3 every week. I'll change my form every 4 weeks. (ie decline bench, db bench or smith bench... Sumo deads, db deads or standard deads....close stance squat, sumo squat or smith squat) Mixing up a combo of the big 3 keeps my routine from getting stale.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post

Looks like what I do and love it.

damn, i could never do 5 days straight !!!
    Really? If I dont do 5 days straight I feel like I cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Like knock out said I change it up. I did it for a little bit and liked it. After about 6 weeks I changed it up. It'll come back around and when it does I have the numbers in my log to see how I am improving.
    Log book????? I could never do a log. I think to many people get disapointed to easily if they dont always see the numbers go up. We all have bad days. I use the Camera and mirror log. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    keep changing every week, I do workout 5 straight days sat and sun is my rest day...
    Same Same, 5x a week MOST of the time if possible. Change up routine ever few week. I like dumbell for bench/flys/curls but I also like to throw in straight bar ever so often and can get/feel a good burn especially in the chest if you do SLOW reps and really push at the top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Working great! I've seen tremendous gains through it. I've modified it a little bit because I also compete in strongman as well as powerlifting. Westside principles increase both strength and muscle size as well as good conditioning when you incorporate slep pulls and tireflips, as well as high rep cleans and/or snatches for conditioning.

Quite different training style from when I was playing football. Then I did mostly Rippetoe's advanced 5x5 workouts but I combined lots of football type conditioning and explosive work as well.

IMO, there is no perfect routine. Every person is different so one must continually modify their work depending on how their feeling, injuries, level of athleticism, and their goals.
    totally agree with that last comment...

i bet your one big dude

im also utalizing 5x5 training a little, strength is size IMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iGuy View Post
    I like to use the big 3 every week. I'll change my form every 4 weeks. (ie decline bench, db bench or smith bench... Sumo deads, db deads or standard deads....close stance squat, sumo squat or smith squat) Mixing up a combo of the big 3 keeps my routine from getting stale.
    im getting an ongoing vibe that most people just like keeping things mixed, i always have, but now ive platued i need more strength...i think PL is going to be my next endevoir..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Looks like what I do and love it.

Really? If I dont do 5 days straight I feel like I cheated.

Log book????? I could never do a log. I think to many people get disapointed to easily if they dont always see the numbers go up. We all have bad days. I use the Camera and mirror log. LOL

Same Same, 5x a week MOST of the time if possible. Change up routine ever few week. I like dumbell for bench/flys/curls but I also like to throw in straight bar ever so often and can get/feel a good burn especially in the chest if you do SLOW reps and really push at the top.
    mate, if i do more than 3 days training in a row, i feel like im hungover for about a week !!! my intensity exceeds my recuperation abilitys if my training frequincy is too high...

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    For bulk DC.....nothing I have done comes close.

It's all about the log book!

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Modified Smolov. Now starting modified pro-precomp shieko.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    For bulk DC.....nothing I have done comes close.

It's all about the log book!
    amen

i did dc for a while and it worked well.

when you cruise, do you find it hard to not go balls to the wall ? i certainly did, it programmed me to just destroy my body every workout !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rose View Post
    Modified Smolov. Now starting modified pro-precomp shieko.
    Powerlifting ??

does it involve alot of % work ?

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not a powerlifter, im a strength athlete, but i train powerlifter/strongman style.

Very high volume, with all 5-10 sets all at 80%+ of your 1rm, most at 90%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information