Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    supersize me is offline Associate Member
    I bet Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse are having a grand ole time together!

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    Oh you mean like this one....
    Heh. I was going to post that too.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation

Oh you mean like this one....
    wow that brings u back in time
    she was a beauty

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    wow that brings u back in time
    she was a beauty
    She had a few intonation problems on this performance. I'm glad she didn't take too many liberties with that song. I hate it when singers do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    She had a few intonation problems on this performance. I'm glad she didn't take too many liberties with that song. I hate it when singers do that.
    thats an interesting observation...i noticed that as well but some aspects she was powerful/soulful but like you said she didnt try to "make it her own"
    i had always thought it was the best rendition of the song...i remember it live...i remember taking my first child for a drive late at night playing whitneys cd just to get her to sleep

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Houston, she had a problem

thats an interesting observation...i noticed that as well but some aspects she was powerful/soulful but like you said she didnt try to "make it her own"
    i had always thought it was the best rendition of the song...i remember it live...i remember taking my first child for a drive late at night playing whitneys cd just to get her to sleep
    I prefer the original better though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9lYC0lBfkA

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Intonation problems...what's that?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

bubsy is offline Junior Member

tcw
    Big difference between these 3....

Amy and Whitney had talent !

...Charlie ? ? (another over-paid Chimp)

Quote Originally Posted by bubsy View Post

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    No sympathy whatsoever.

Whitney was a great singer! she died addicted to legal drugs! Save your sympathy for the important people that risk there lives keeping our countries safe! We should open a thread in honour of them!

tcw
    Its not about sympathy goatmeal... its about paying respect to an accomplished Singer.

But...you're right.....we shouldn't expect someone without an education to understand Culture, The Arts and Music.

(hey bro...we don't need you to smart off with your no sympathy remark....keep it to yourself)

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    No sympathy whatsoever.

Whitney was a great singer! she died addicted to legal drugs! Save your sympathy for the important people that risk there lives keeping our countries safe! We should open a thread in honour of them!
    Maybe it is appropriate to say that there should be respect given to BOTH soldiers and pop stars rather than INSTEAD of. How about we have sympathy for everyone? Feel free to open a thread to honor the soldiers.

Man I hate it when a graphic with a typo goes viral.

tcw
    I served in Lebanon and Morocco, in the mid 80's...US Marine Corp, staff infantry Sergent. I know who deserves respect...and who does not.

Making and posting smart arse comments about people you don't know...gets no respect from me or anyone like me.

Learn some manors....

Its not about sympathy goatmeal... its about paying respect to an accomplished Singer.

But...you're right.....we shouldn't expect someone without an education to understand Culture, The Arts and Music.

(hey bro...we don't need you to smart off with your no sympathy remark....keep it to yourself)
    Its beautiful that a singer could touch so man hearts out there!
    Goatmeal, uneducated who is the barbaric one here name slinging?
    U wouldnt understand the first thing of loosing someone to war or having to deal with real pain in life! Dont judge what u dont understand!
    I can ramble on and fight with u on a computer but theres no need to u seem very intelligent with the remarks u left already!

tcw
    You should read before you write....is that what they teach the Her majesty's armed forces?

(Not the guys i served with..)

Its beautiful that a singer could touch so man hearts out there!
    U wouldnt understand the first thing of loosing someone to war or having to deal with real pain in life! Dont judge what u dont understand!
    I can ramble on and fight with u on a computer but theres no need to u seem very intelligent with the remarks u left already!

i was born in zimbabwe had to move to sa then to england! It was the hype that caught me! lol

Come on guys. No need to fight in a thread about someone dying. What is the point? That other people are more deserving of respect? How about we respect everyone and remember that they all have family and friends that suffer. Whitney's daughter is just as devastated by this as anyone's would be regardless of how or why she died.

tcw
    "On 23rd October, 241 marines were killed when a barracks at Beirut International Airport was blown up by a truck packed with explosives, a similar attack destroyed a French military barracks a few kilometers away killing 56 French troops."

I lost some of my friends there...
    http://britains-smallwars.com/RRGP/Lebanon.html

10 yrs later...at the Super Bowl (which i happened to attend), Whitney Houston sang the Star Spangled Bannor for the US and British Military (some of my friends were on the field for the half-time show)

yeah...i know a little about pain.

i was born in zimbabwe had to move to sa then to england! It was the hype that caught me! lol

I apologies for your loss and never knew whitney put such an impact on u! i apologise for offending the memory of your friends!

big hug!

Razor is offline Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheen.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	120269

tcw
    That Song means something to me....and it should to you as well. Its about freedom and being in the heat of battle....fighting for your life.

Whitney impacted every military officer and their families who fought for freedom and saw or watched that show. (the video does not do justice...you had to be there. There were representatives from every army on the field...holding up their respective flags).

ON DEATH.
    We all go...some of us go by accident (like in Whitney's case)....or some go knowing that their number maybe up (my buds in the service)...but either way we all go. No matter what some smart arse or tough guy tells you...take it from someone who's been there...."No one wants to die...ever."

I apologies for your loss and never knew whitney put such an impact on u! i apologise for offending the memory of your friends!

big hug!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I dont sympathize with soldiers. I honor and respect them , i empathize with their families and am grateful for their sacrifice.
    To sypathize the death of someone who choses to die with such honor is very disrespectful imo. They deserve better than our sympathy.
    Sympathy can often be a sign of condescention - not respect.

People who die as a result of addiction do not warrant disrespect. If anything it should, imo, make you grateful that for whatever reason you have not made the same choices in your own life. Also their families and loved ones surely deserve our empathy. Tonight there is an 18 yr old that lost her mother - regardless of how - it is sad to me. If it was a neighbor down the strret id be sad to hear it as well.

Wink

I called no names. I said "No sympathy whatsoever."
    Do you even know me? How would you know what I've been through?
    I'm not the one who can't spell or use proper grammar. I wouldn't "fight with you" over something so trivial as yet another idiot dying of an overdose. - Star or not. Sympathy ought to go toward her family who live on.
    That's about as logical as becoming hysterical over a really good plumber, in some other state, whom you never knew, just having died. She was good at her job. big deal.
    If Whitney Houston is your idea of "Culture, The Arts and Music" then I'm not the one without an education.
    Hey "bro", I'll say it again. No sympathy.
    Last edited by oatmeal69; 02-14-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    I dont sympathize with soldiers. I honor and respect them , i empathize with their families and am grateful for their sacrifice.
    To sypathize the death of someone who choses to die with such honor is very disrespectful imo. They deserve better than our sympathy.
    + 1
    People who die as a result of addiction do not warrant disrespect. If anything it should, imo, make you grateful that for whatever reason you have not made the same choices in your own life. Also their families and loved ones surely deserve our empathy. Tonight there is an 18 yr old that lost her mother - regardless of how - it is sad to me. If it was a neighbor down the strret id be sad to hear it as well.
    Agreed. However, that woman had chances, talent and money the rest of us could only dream about. LIMITLESS options and YEARS were available to her to get better, to live a life for her daughter. If she did in fact die of self-inflicted drug overdose, then F**k her. She's no better, nor does she deserve any more respect than anyone else. I have far more sympathy for people who overcome far worse issues than hers without ANY of the resources she had available. What a waste.

tcw
    Exactly...it has nothing to do with the word...."sympathy." Using that word for a situation like death...promulgates ignorance and a psychopath attitude. But i know where these mutts come from ...who makes stupid comments like "gets no sympathy from me?"

LOL

Its an superfluous statement that only shows disdain for life. Everyone who reads their work knows they themselves are recalcitrant and damaged.

Sad...

The post is really about life...and how vulnerable we as humans are. Not making stupid comments that serve no one.

Last edited by tcw; 02-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Intonation problems...what's that?
    Pitch accuracy. Whitney Houston got a lot more credit for her singing ability than she actually deserved. The sessions guys who played the tracks on her albums and the touring musicians really deserve the credit.

I'm not trying to run her name through the mud either, she's pretty decent for a pop singer.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 02-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Pitch accuracy. Whitney Houston got a lot more credit for her singing ability than she actually deserved. The sessions guys who played the tracks on her albums and the touring musicians really deserve the credit.
    Not to mention the producers, and most importantly, the writers. She wrote none of her own music, and had only a couple production credits. Musicians like James Brown and many others most have never heard of deserve FAR more recognition for what they did for music. This woman had a God-given natural voice, and chose to throw her talent away on drugs and thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Not to mention the producers, and most importantly, the writers. She wrote none of her own music, and had only a couple production credits. Musicians like James Brown and many others most have never heard of deserve FAR more recognition for what they did for music. This woman had a God-given natural voice, and chose to throw her talent away on drugs and thugs.
    Let's not mention a real talent like James Brown when discussing Whitney Houston. He was an absolute legend.

Oatmeal i excepted yesterday that i never took many things into account when i was talking to tcw! i apologised to him! Maybe sympathy was a bad choice of words!

tcw
    There are a few subjects i know about...two of those being WAR and MUSIC.

Some of the qualities that make a singer great are Range, Vocal Quality, Control and consistency. Takes an ENORMOUS amount of energy to sing like Pavarotti, Bocelli and Houston.

JAME BROWN
    Do you think that James Brown could sing the National Anthem ? Do you think that the organizers of the Super Bowl, would even bother to ask James brown to sing the National Anthem?

JB was not a "great singer"...but more of what's referred to in the Music business as a "Vocal Stylist." He had a very limited VOCAL RANGE. He was a GREAT PERFORMER...but not a great singer. A great Dancer....but not a GREAT singer.

Steven Tyler is a Great Performer...but not a great singer. Steven Tyler is also not a great song writer...he and his band have used, borrowed and collaborated with song writers to produce hits....some of which are never credited (they get paid...but not written credit).

Neither of these two performers as great singers (they maybe great performers....maybe even BETTER than WH...but neither could hold a candle to a singer like WH).

Intonation...(this was a setup question Kong...sorry dude). You can't have perfect intonation in an outdoor setting where the wind is blowing at 10 mph....impossible (BTW...that was a crappy recording of that show. IF you listen to the original...you
    can hear her voice much better). No Singer has 100% perfect intonation... computers can pick up and measure every minutia vocal fluctuation. If you know about recording...then you know about programs like "SonyVegas" that can now make just about anyone sound like a WH.

PERFORMERS
    Anyone know why Clive Davis head of Arista Records was so happy when he discovered WH? He knew he struck gold. Every AR rep DREAMS of finding a WH. They are once in a Lifetime finds. WH made his career. Moreover, the great "songwriters" all pitched their tunes to Clive and Whitney. She turned down more tunes than just about any modern day singer.

Performers Sing....Writers Write. I could mention dozens of singers who you THINK write their own music...they don't. Truth is....most of the top performers use the services of a song writer to collaborate and make hit records...that's how its done.

JAMES BROWN (drug addict...convict)
    ...james brown was a drug addict...BIG TIME. He was also a derelict who skirted child support...thumbed his nose at the law....and didn't give a fvck. It wasn't until he reached an old age to where he wised up....and even then...he couldn't kick the pain pills. He was physically strong enough to with stand his long standing battle with Alcohol and Cocaine, Pain pills and numerous other psychotropic drugs.
    http://www.absolutenow.com/mugshots/james_brown.html

He was also a wife beater...and convicted felon. Is that who you want to compare to WH?

Based on his drug Habits...JB lived longer than he deserved. Not knocking who he was...i recognize his contributions to music and specifically the genre of RB (I have even played in bands and played JB cover tunes)...but based on his habits...he should have live no longer than 30 yrs.

JB was a Great vocal Stylist and performer....But he was not, never was...a Great Singer.

WH was a great Singer!

(end of lesson)
    Let's not mention a real talent like James Brown when discussing Whitney Houston. He was an absolute legend.

i was wondering about the james brown comment as well but guess thats what makes the world go round

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i was wondering about the james brown comment as well but guess thats what makes the world go round
    I'm guessing sarcasm or trying to be controversial. Either way I think it's BS that her family is keeping him from his daughter unless there was some type of prevoius restraining order.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I'm guessing sarcasm or trying to be controversial. Either way I think it's BS that her family is keeping him from his daughter unless there was some type of prevoius restraining order.
    ok..if he was being sarcastic that would make more sense...but i do believe many like him..

about not seeing a daughter..i must have missed it...who/what?

There are a few subjects i know about...two of those being WAR and MUSIC.

Some of the qualities that make a singer great are Range, Vocal Quality, Control and consistency. Takes an ENORMOUS amount of energy to sing like Pavarotti, Bocelli and Houston.

JAME BROWN
    Do you think that James Brown could sing the National Anthem ? Do you think that the organizers of the Super Bowl, would even bother to ask James brown to sing the National Anthem?

JB was not a "great singer"...but more of what's referred to in the Music business as a "Vocal Stylist." He had a very limited VOCAL RANGE. He was a GREAT PERFORMER...but not a great singer. A great Dancer....but not a GREAT singer.

Steven Tyler is a Great Performer...but not a great singer. Steven Tyler is also not a great song writer...he and his band have used, borrowed and collaborated with song writers to produce hits....some of which are never credited (they get paid...but not written credit).

Neither of these two performers as great singers (they maybe great performers....maybe even BETTER than WH...but neither could hold a candle to a singer like WH).

Intonation...(this was a setup question Kong...sorry dude). You can't have perfect intonation in an outdoor setting where the wind is blowing at 10 mph....impossible (BTW...that was a crappy recording of that show. IF you listen to the original...you
    can hear her voice much better). No Singer has 100% perfect intonation... computers can pick up and measure every minutia vocal fluctuation. If you know about recording...then you know about programs like "SonyVegas" that can now make just about anyone sound like a WH.

PERFORMERS
    Anyone know why Clive Davis head of Arista Records was so happy when he discovered WH? He knew he struck gold. Every AR rep DREAMS of finding a WH. They are once in a Lifetime finds. WH made his career. Moreover, the great "songwriters" all pitched their tunes to Clive and Whitney. She turned down more tunes than just about any modern day singer.

Performers Sing....Writers Write. I could mention dozens of singers who you THINK write their own music...they don't. Truth is....most of the top performers use the services of a song writer to collaborate and make hit records...that's how its done.

JAMES BROWN (drug addict...convict)
    ...james brown was a drug addict...BIG TIME. He was also a derelict who skirted child support...thumbed his nose at the law....and didn't give a fvck. It wasn't until he reached an old age to where he wised up....and even then...he couldn't kick the pain pills. He was physically strong enough to with stand his long standing battle with Alcohol and Cocaine, Pain pills and numerous other psychotropic drugs.
    http://www.absolutenow.com/mugshots/james_brown.html

He was also a wife beater...and convicted felon. Is that who you want to compare to WH?

Based on his drug Habits...JB lived longer than he deserved. Not knocking who he was...i recognize his contributions to music and specifically the genre of RB (I have even played in bands and played JB cover tunes)...but based on his habits...he should have live no longer than 30 yrs.

JB was a Great vocal Stylist and performer....But he was not, never was...a Great Singer.

WH was a great Singer!

(end of lesson)
    I'll grant you it was a shitty recording of her, but still she's nothing special. Still, a decent untrained singer. Listen to her other live recordings. You could tell she would've benefited from a little sight-singing and aural dictation practice. She was a pretty lady in her youth and was very marketable to a pop audience. That's what Clive liked about her. She does have a decent range though.

As far as James Brown goes, he's no Pavarotti (like the connection?), but the man's music was nothing less than spectacular. Sure he was a piece of shit and a major drug addict, but would he have been as great of a musician if he didn't have those issues?
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 02-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I could really care less but I do know Whitney had the ability to hit and sustain notes only a very small % of singers were and are capable of.
    Especially in the pop world.
    I also am of the opinion that James Browns vocal abilities shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence with hers.
    To each his own I suppose.

James Brown practically INVENTED Soul, Hip-Hop, Rap, Disco, Funk etc. His legend lives on in the hundreds of top musicians, producers, engineers and writers he personally groomed to his vision. His work ethic and talent for making something out of nothing was unparalleled. He was the giant's shoulder that so many other musicians and writers stand upon today.
    Whitney had a naturally great voice, and that is all. - Singing songs written, recorded and produced by others. She made a LOT of money and fame on the work of others. Then she chose a life of drugs and thugs despite LIMITLESS opportunities and years of time to change her life and others for the better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information