Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Bear Mace - viable self defense weapon?

Now that we have a baby, I need my wife to be able to defend herself more than ever. I am looking into a practical self defense weapon for her. Obviously, a bat, gun, or knife isn't going to cut it. What do you think about bear mace? Some canisters will have enough of a range to keep a good distance between the attacker and defender. We're not looking to kill anyone (well, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few people, but I digress), just to disarm/disable and get away safely.

So, what do you think? Recommend any specific brands? Note I need something legal, something I can buy on ebay or whatever. Not looking for any trouble with the law for defending ourselves.

Also open to hearing about any other options you think might work.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A lot of girls carry a little keyring mace here due to it being a college town. I think it would be sufficient enough to ward off an attacker and is easily accesible

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Why bear mace? Why not human mace? Because of the range?

Seems like pepper spray is all the rage.

human grade mace/pepper spray obviously, right?

I've heard of people spraying that stuff and it not working... I have no personal experience, only stating accounts i've heard. I am looking for a 100% sure bet, which i'm assuming bear mace will provide.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life

Bought a couple of these for my gf. They're crazy strong (5.3million scoffield), have good distance, and are used by local LE here.
    As of a couple yrs ago it was the strongest product on the market.
    It comes in a spray or cone, liquid or foam, and you can also buy ones with dye in them that will stain the perp's skin blue or green for a few days, makes it real easy to pick the guy out. You can get em at gun shops for like $20.

When I worked in nightclubs, if the crowd got out of control they would spray this in the air for a few seconds n clear a club with 1500 ppl out in a matter of seconds. Stuff was incredibly strong.
    Last edited by jasc; 02-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.

xelnaga is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post

Bought a couple of these for my gf. They're crazy strong (5.3million scoffield), have good distance, and are used by local LE here.
    As of a couple yrs ago it was the strongest product on the market.
    It comes in a spray or cone, liquid or foam, and you can also buy ones with dye in them that will stain the perp's skin blue or green for a few days, makes it real easy to pick the guy out. You can get em at gun shops for like $20.

When I worked in nightclubs, if the crowd got out of control they would spray this in the air for a few seconds n clear a club with 1500 ppl out in a matter of seconds. Stuff was incredibly strong.

I have used Fox labs products on a half dozen poor f-cks over the years. I prefer the compound that foams when the assailant attempted to wipe it off their face.

My top incident was a road rage where a guy got out of his car and smashed some women's drivers side window. I got out of my car and sprayed his face while he was screaming obscenities. It went in his mouth and eyes. He dropped to the ground and screamed like a little girl. The cops came 20 minutes later and he was still on the ground.

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    "Bear mace" and "human mace" are pretty much the same thing CS or pepper spray. You might be able to find a brand of tear gas "mace" but most have gone by the wayside. The biggest difference about "bear mace" is the size of the bottle.

Pepper spray is effective but there is residual spray that might get on your home and create problems for your family for quite a while. Pepper spray is great outdoor defense but I wouldn't recommend it in an enclosed environment especially around a child.

Might look into legality of tazers or stun guns in your area.

Some people can fight through the pain of pepper spray but having been sprayed with it a few times while working i can tell you they are probably going to have to be on drugs to not be phased by it. That stuff hurts and they make some pretty strong ones.

Thanks for the input guys. Jasc, i'm liking this stuff... do you know of it's legality? I suppose it depends on the state...

The key to arming your girlfriend with pepper spray is to teach her to take it out and spray before the situation gets out of hand. You do not have to wait for someone to put their hands of you to spray them. She needs to know that the second she feels threatened she can always take out the canister and provide a warning- after the warning his/her intentions will be much clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by xelnaga;5908***
    I have used Fox labs products on a half dozen poor f-cks over the years. I prefer the compound that foams when the assailant attempted to wipe it off their face.

My top incident was a road rage where a guy got out of his car and smashed some women's drivers side window. I got out of my car and sprayed his face while he was screaming obscenities. It went in his mouth and eyes. He dropped to the ground and screamed like a little girl. The cops came 20 minutes later and he was still on the ground.
    Lamo, fvcking awesome... WIN!!!!

I'm guessing it depends on your state. Here it's legal n you can buy it at any specialty gun shop.

My gf bartends so safety is a concern for her as well. She keeps one in her purse and it's got a flip-top so it can't be accidentally sprayed by pushing the trigger.
    Where is "here"?

Quote Originally Posted by xelnaga View Post
    The key to arming your girlfriend with pepper spray is to teach her to take it out and spray before the situation gets out of hand. You do not have to wait for someone to put their hands of you to spray them. She needs to know that the second she feels threatened she can always take out the canister and provide a warning- after the warning his/her intentions will be much clearer.
    Exactly bro. That's why I was looking for something with a good range to it... not interested in somebody getting his hands on her and/or my kid before she tries to use it. Wife feels threatened = sad fvcker on the ground.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Yeah....but she can't just spray anyone she wants. She'll be subject to a lawsuit....and maybe a bad one at that.

Gotta have good judgment when using this stuff. Even though its only pepper spray....someone could get seriously injured from getting sprayed (i've seen guys fall down and hit their heads on a curbstone after getting sprayed. If someone has a heart condition...they may suffer a heart attack or stroke after getting sprayed).

Bottom line: You need a good reason to use any kinda weapon against another human being. The alternative is...to make sure there are no witnesses.

I'm guessing it depends on your state. Here it's legal n you can buy it at any specialty gun shop.

My gf bartends so safety is a concern for her as well. She keeps one in her purse and it's got a flip-top so it can't be accidentally sprayed by pushing the trigger.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    why can't your wife use a gun? i'd rather have a can pointed at me than a .45 if i was a bad guy

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    why can't your wife use a gun? i'd rather have a can pointed at me than a .45 if i was a bad guy
    You have to have it 'in you' to be able to pull a trigger. I'm really not interested in finding out the hard way whether or not my wife is that type of person, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You have to have it 'in you' to be able to pull a trigger. I'm really not interested in finding out the hard way whether or not my wife is that type of person, know what I mean?
    roger that

but i'd put my money on pulling the trigger when the baby's life is at risk...many hard ways to find things out

Hmm... stream or cone spray?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun.jpg 
Views:	3101 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	120477

check this one out. i am thinking about getting one for my roommate and a friend that just moved to houston. it is on cabela's website. i googled, mace shooting gun and it popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Hmm... stream or cone spray?
    http://foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml

Last edited by jasc; 02-21-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Cone def.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    Cone def.

be careful getting tricked by cool pictures, though the foogers/cone sprays hit people with a lot more volume, they also spray everything and everybody and usually end up getting back on you.. plus they aren't as strong normally. plus empty super fast compared to other cans. BUT, for a woman in shock or scared it does have a better chance of hitting where they need... direct sprays are stronger when they hit, but you have to have some balls to not get so scared you can't hit.

i have been sprayed with everything under the sun, i hate them all. been certified in them, was on a riot team for a few years.. I suggest getting anything that is OC not CS. Also depending on the state you can't carry more than a 2oz can.

suggestion: 2.5oz can of water based OC spray.....sabre has the best most reliable products.

if i were to get one for my family this is what i would get.
    http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-...R-SPRAY/Detail
    Last edited by quarry206; 02-21-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    I suggest getting anything that is OC not CS. Also depending on the state you can't carry more than a 2oz can.
    Can you elaborate? I know absolutely NOTHING about this stuff... last CS I had anything to do with was Counter-Strike, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    suggestion: 2.5oz can of water based OC spray.....sabre has the best most reliable products.

if i were to get one for my family this is what i would get.
    http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-...R-SPRAY/Detail
    Thanks man, I will definitely look into this.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Can you elaborate? I know absolutely NOTHING about this stuff...

here is a small quote from a website http://cd.wrytestuff.com/swa136243.htm
    Ok CN and CS are designed to be irritants to membrane tissues. In normal person speak that means it causes pain and tearing from the eyes. Now being an irritant one could build up an immunity to the spray. Many military organizations actually make their soldiers repeatedly expose themselves to tear gas to build up their tolerance in the case it is used by an enemy.

Now OC is a whole different animal, it isn’t an irritant like CN or CS, it is in fact an inflammatory causing agent. In normal speak, it most likely will force them to shut their eyes instantly and it causes the eye capillaries to dilate causing temporary “blindness".
    If that wasn’t enough it also inflames the respiratory system causing extreme pain which most likely will double over the attacker and he will have trouble breathing, not enough to die but it will severely limit his ability and desire to keep attacking. You can see the benefit.
    personally I have built up a pain tolerance for CS, I actually was in a gas chamber of CS and had to do a puzzle one time, though you cough and feel a lot of pain you can still fight and think clearly, to be honest its a mental matter and a lot of people can over take it very easily...

OC no matter how many times I have been hit, which is in the double digits easily, I still can't physically open my eyes because of the effects of it. its so strong in the eyes that no matter how tough you are your body will literally shut your eyes, if hit with a good hit to the eyes you have to use your fingers to open your eye lids to wash them out..

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Great thread. Probably getting some for my wife.

Julz_W is offline Junior Member
    I'd go with cone imho. The affect being in a situation would have on someone means they may not be overly accurate when required to be. Cone = more chance of having an effective part of the body get hit.

and +1 to teaching her when to use it. You dont want to have her constantly pulling it out - but it's better 5 mins too early than half a second too late.

And if you're up for a challenge - spray a bit on your food.

My ex wold carry one when she had to walk on campus at night alone or went running alone. I feel if they are in a situation where the risk is higher, they hould have it in hand already or within reach such as the top of a stroller

TheClinch is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't put pepper spray near a child. In the moment a multitude of different scenarios can unfold including the child's exposure to the spray.

What about a taser?

Just thought someone should mention this
    Last edited by TheClinch; 02-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheClinch View Post
    I wouldn't put pepper spray near a child. In the moment a multitude of different scenarios can unfold including the child's exposure to the spray.

What about a taser?

Just thought someone should mention this
    umm see post #6

TheClinch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evander87

umm see post #6
    Noted, thanks friend

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    I had one that was on my key chain...small. I sprayed it in the house one time for shits and giggles. Had to air out and leave for most of the day. Can't imagine up close.

Good call G....

Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    I had one that was on my key chain...small. I sprayed it in the house one time for shits and giggles. Had to air out and leave for most of the day. .
    Tazers either require good aim and shooting or for you to be really close - I think Gbrice is aiming for his wife to be outside any possible melee range of an attacker or to be usable at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Julz_W View Post
    Tazers either require good aim and shooting or for you to be really close - I think Gbrice is aiming for his wife to be outside any possible melee range of an attacker or to be usable at distance.
    ^^ this.

Thanks again guys, I agree that cone would be the better option. Shorter range (not by much), but less accuracy required. Not everybody has the wherewithall to hit a 'bullseye'.

Razor is offline Banned
    This place has everything
    http://www.beststungun.com/

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas
    Why bear mace? Why not human mace? Because of the range?

Seems like pepper spray is all the rage.
    Because if it keeps away a bear it will work better for humans haha

JAB1 is offline Member
    Yeah I got my wife pepper spray as well. Cant remember brand but got it at local gus store. I think the key is training. have ity accessable. Use a can outside to know what to do and not fumble with it when needed. Spray and run, worst case it buys a few seconds lead time

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    My BF wont let me buy a gun. I have a bat under the bed and if you break into my house i wouldn't even think twice about using it on your skull. I'm still trying to talk him into a short barrel shotgun. It has a large spray radius and won't go through the walls and hit any innocent person outside.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    My BF wont let me buy a gun. I have a bat under the bed and if you break into my house i wouldn't even think twice about using it on your skull. I'm still trying to talk him into a short barrel shotgun. It has a large spray radius and won't go through the walls and hit any innocent person outside.
    Smart man that one! Why not consider the bear mace if it's just for home protection? I'd be worried sleeping near a gun in the house : /

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz_W View Post
    Smart man that one! Why not consider the bear mace if it's just for home protection? I'd be worried sleeping near a gun in the house : /
    Bear mace is good but for people high on drugs i doubt how effective it will be. I want to know that i can end the other person life easily if need be.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Bear mace is good but for people high on drugs i doubt how effective it will be. I want to know that i can end the other person life easily if need be.
    Fair point actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information