Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Did not read all the replies because time may be of the essence and what others have said really does not change the facts.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS.

ONLY TAKE CASH in a deal like this, banks protect themselves not you or the seller. So even if the guy were to give you a cashiers check and your bank deposited the money in your account, they still have up to 2 years to remove the money back from your account if they for some reason find out the check, money order, cashiers check, etc was bad. Even if you go to his bank and cash it they still can contact your bank and have the funds removed.

This may seem crazy but you are the one handing them the defective or false "instrument" ( check, money order etc) So if this were not how it worked teams of crooks would simply have one guy make out the check to another guy who would cash it then when the bank found out the instrument was fake the guy who deposited it would simply say, oh hell I got burnt selling a car. I did not know it was fake. So its easy to see that the banks need this sort of leverage to protect themselves from this type of scam.

By the way I learned this back when I was heavily involved in auto racing. Back then we used to sell a hundred grand a year in car parts over the web to unknown parties. My freind was selling his race car trailer and the guy sent a 500 dollar money order as a deposit on the trailer. Then on a Thursday saying he would overnight the balance of the money in money orders on Friday ( sound familiar) he was contacted by the party saying he was heading through our state this weekend and really needed to pick up the trailer for a race and if we could not sell it this weekend he would have to purchase one elsewhere. Well my friend got the money orders from a courier ( not by overnight FedEx) on Friday at 5.00 right as the bank closed. Luckily his wife new one of the girls who was pretty high up in the bank and she agreed to meet her and look at the money orders. She said they appeared legit but explained the whole 2 year deal to us and at that point we decided to not sell the trailer. Well when the guy showed up early Saturday morning to pick up the trailer, my buddy and I told the guy to keep heading north and we would mail his money orders back to him...All of a sudden he demanded that we better give him the trailer or at least give him the 500 from the first money order saying he knew we had cashed it and we were not going to screw him out of his money...Well we almost went for it but since he did not look to threatening we told him we did not have the money and would send it Monday along with the money orders.

Well the funny thing is that the balance of the money orders that we got were indeed fake, but here is where it gets funny they were made using the first 500 money order and a color copier and some special paper etc. Why is that so funny? The first money order sent as a deposit for 500 was indeed good and cleared the bank and guess what LOL we never sent the money back to the scam artist.
    Makes you wonder how many times that guy got away with it before and after he encountered you.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Did not read all the replies because time may be of the essence and what others have said really does not change the facts.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS.

ONLY TAKE CASH in a deal like this, banks protect themselves not you or the seller. So even if the guy were to give you a cashiers check and your bank deposited the money in your account, they still have up to 2 years to remove the money back from your account if they for some reason find out the check, money order, cashiers check, etc was bad. Even if you go to his bank and cash it they still can contact your bank and have the funds removed.

This may seem crazy but you are the one handing them the defective or false "instrument" ( check, money order etc) So if this were not how it worked teams of crooks would simply have one guy make out the check to another guy who would cash it then when the bank found out the instrument was fake the guy who deposited it would simply say, oh hell I got burnt selling a car. I did not know it was fake. So its easy to see that the banks need this sort of leverage to protect themselves from this type of scam.

By the way I learned this back when I was heavily involved in auto racing. Back then we used to sell a hundred grand a year in car parts over the web to unknown parties. My freind was selling his race car trailer and the guy sent a 500 dollar money order as a deposit on the trailer. Then on a Thursday saying he would overnight the balance of the money in money orders on Friday ( sound familiar) he was contacted by the party saying he was heading through our state this weekend and really needed to pick up the trailer for a race and if we could not sell it this weekend he would have to purchase one elsewhere. Well my friend got the money orders from a courier ( not by overnight FedEx) on Friday at 5.00 right as the bank closed. Luckily his wife new one of the girls who was pretty high up in the bank and she agreed to meet her and look at the money orders. She said they appeared legit but explained the whole 2 year deal to us and at that point we decided to not sell the trailer. Well when the guy showed up early Saturday morning to pick up the trailer, my buddy and I told the guy to keep heading north and we would mail his money orders back to him...All of a sudden he demanded that we better give him the trailer or at least give him the 500 from the first money order saying he knew we had cashed it and we were not going to screw him out of his money...Well we almost went for it but since he did not look to threatening we told him we did not have the money and would send it Monday along with the money orders.

Well the funny thing is that the balance of the money orders that we got were indeed fake, but here is where it gets funny they were made using the first 500 money order and a color copier and some special paper etc. Why is that so funny? The first money order sent as a deposit for 500 was indeed good and cleared the bank and guess what LOL we never sent the money back to the scam artist.
    Thanks for you input. As I mentioned in my first post; I'm well aware of the fraud with cashiers checks and money orders. Since my first post the buyer has wired all funds into my account. I spoke with my bank and they said he can't reverse the wire after it's fully cleared.

Apparently he could stop it if in was still in process; however, this isn't the case. The funds have fully cleared into my account and according to the bank...he couldn't get them back with taking me to court. I think I'm safe!

Razor is offline Banned
    Glad you got the sale and the money bro

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FONZY007 View Post
    Just wait till it clears
    Yeah my bad it was late at night and I failed to notice that slfmade said wire transfer, not cashiers check, money order etc. I would expect a wire transfer would be a whole lot less likely to ever encounter false funding of any type (the bank would have to be fake or the electronic transfer hacked which I am sure is very difficult) so as long as the bank is not located on a private island or peninsula in the staits of malacca ;-) so as said by FONZY, once funds clear, you should be fine. However I would still assume that the banks have the same ability to protect themselves if it ever did.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 03-10-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Makes you wonder how many times that guy got away with it before and after he encountered you.
    When we posted it on various racing bulletin boards to let others know we got a couple of replies from others who had run into a simalar scam where the guy would send say 500 as a deposit then call back with a hard luck story about how his kid got hit by a car or his dog needed an operation etc and could you please just let me pick up the money I gave you as I need to pay the bill this weekend, with the timing such that the money order would have been deposited but not yet discovered as a scam.

Seems there are as many variations of this scam as there are different ways to injest oxycontin...just sayin ;-)

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    He could just be offering the wire transfer in order to get your bank account info. Who drops that kind of cash on a car before they've seen it in person, heard it run, or driven it. If he said he would send the wire once he had driven it then it wouldn't be so bad but to send it over blind and then pick the car up on the weekend makes him sound like a Nigerian prince. Did he even try to talk you down on the price or just say he'd take it? I'd be very cautious. If you own a viper chances are you have a decent amount of wealth and at that point your identity becomes more valuable to a scammer than the car does.
    It all depends on the car and what you know about the car. My buddy did just that, he bought his Viper on eBay, paid for it then flew to where it was and drove it home.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    i believe anything over $10k is a red flag, and since crossing international boarders, there may be other issues to consider. Consult with your banker. Since i always deal cash, except some minor aas transactions, i'm concerned since he's is going to meet you , then why not a cash transaction? money laundering comes in many shapes and forms. additionally, there is a flood of fake $100bills floating around the USA right now, so if this somehow turns out to be a cash transsaction, make sure you have a good way (not the yellow highlighter pen) to verify the money is legit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information