Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member

Sold My Viper (Kinda) Best way to get paid?

So I just sold my Dodge Viper!!! Well sorta...I still have to get paid for it. I've never sold a car private party before. It's always been trade in. The guy wants to send me the payment via wire transfer tomorrow and then come pick it up over the weekend. I'm not very good with trusting the general public so my question is.....Is this form of payment safe?

I know there was a deal going on a few years back about people giving fake money orders. The way the scam worked was people would give fake cashiers checks as payment. You deposited the money, then 10 days later the bank would find out it was fake and hold you responsible for paying back the funds. I also used to sell stuff on Ebay. And people would pay for via Credit Card/Pay Pal and then dispute the charge after they got it. Pay Pal was a pain is a pain in the ass and looks more after the buyer than the seller and I've lost thousands in the past. I'm tired of being screwed and this is just too much money to risk it.

I just wanta make sure there's no way he can wire the funds, then reverse it, or screw me somehow.

P.S. The guy lives in Alberta Canada if that makes any difference.

Thanks For the Help

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i would call your bank to ask about that
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    So I just sold my Dodge Viper!!! Well sorta...I still have to get paid for it. I've never sold a car private party before. It's always been trade in. The guy wants to send me the payment via wire transfer tomorrow and then come pick it up over the weekend. I'm not very good with trusting the general public so my question is.....Is this form of payment safe?

I know there was a deal going on a few years back about people giving fake money orders. The way the scam worked was people would give fake cashiers checks as payment. You deposited the money, then 10 days later the bank would find out it was fake and hold you responsible for paying back the funds. I also used to sell stuff on Ebay. And people would pay for via Credit Card/Pay Pal and then dispute the charge after they got it. Pay Pal was a pain is a pain in the ass and looks more after the buyer than the seller and I've lost thousands in the past. I'm tired of being screwed and this is just too much money to risk it.

I just wanta make sure there's no way he can wire the funds, then reverse it, or screw me somehow.

Thanks For the Help
    Once its wired and deposited it cannot be reversed..Call the bank to confirm the transfer..You still hold the car keys and the title im guessing, so its not like he is driving off with your car without payment. You should be fine once the wire comes through..is he coming to pick it up or are you shipping it..if your shipping absolutely make sure the wire is done b4 any shipping takes place.. that is were scammers come in..

DanB is offline Banned

Thanks For the Help
    Noooooooo dont sell your car to Bertuzzi he definately got some sort of trick up his sleeve lol

Quote Originally Posted by Razr. View Post
    Once its wired and deposited it cannot be reversed..Call the bank to confirm the transfer..You still hold the car keys and the title im guessing, so its not like he is driving off with your car without payment. You should be fine once the wire comes through..is he coming to pick it up or are you shipping it..if your shipping absolutely make sure the wire is done b4 any shipping takes place.. that is were scammers come in..
    He's coming this weekend to pick it up. He's wiring the money tomorrow and the bank said it would take 24-48 to clear into my account. I would never give him the key's before the money was in my account. I just wanta make sure he can't reverse it after the fact.....like you can with a credit card!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Noooooooo dont sell your car to Bertuzzi he definately got some sort of trick up his sleeve lol
    LOL - It's not Bertuzzi. He's too broke from drinking too much Starbucks to buy the car!!!! LOL

Razor is offline Banned
    He's coming this weekend to pick it up. He's wiring the money tomorrow and the bank said it would take 24-48 to clear into my account. I would never give him the key's before the money was in my account. I just wanta make sure he can't reverse it after the fact.....like you can with a credit card!!!
    No you cant do charge backs with wire's..there is even a fee on the senders part for a wire..and I believe the bank will call you to accept the wire..you should not have a problem..and im glad you dont have to do shipping, thats never fun

DanB is offline Banned
    LOL - It's not Bertuzzi. He's too broke from drinking too much Starbucks to buy the car!!!! LOL
    be careful he could be using an alias

if the fella coming to collect is twitching from too much caffinee then you know its him

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    yep, i even do wire transfer to china, it's the only way to do it.. cheap too
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    He could just be offering the wire transfer in order to get your bank account info. Who drops that kind of cash on a car before they've seen it in person, heard it run, or driven it. If he said he would send the wire once he had driven it then it wouldn't be so bad but to send it over blind and then pick the car up on the weekend makes him sound like a Nigerian prince. Did he even try to talk you down on the price or just say he'd take it? I'd be very cautious. If you own a viper chances are you have a decent amount of wealth and at that point your identity becomes more valuable to a scammer than the car does.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Similar thing happened to a buddy of mine in Washington who was selling a trailer ... Turned out to be a scam. Like Stack it said, the person could be trying to get your account information.

Keep your guard up on this one. Hoping though it's the real deal and there are no complications.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    go to your bank.. tell them you have someone that needs to send you a wire transfer...

they will give you a #... give that to him.. when he says it's transfered, contact the bank for confirmation, then transfer the title..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    your good slf- as long as the funds are in your bank. I have a rental property and thats how I make them pay me. but again need to clear it with your bank, I would triple check on your viper. I would like one some day. currently have a corvette

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Razr. View Post
    This is only incase of International Wire Transfers, Domestic Transfers can be stopped and reversed by the transfer initiator. DD or wire transfer to me is the safest way to get your money because it cant be faked Bank to Bank.

The guy did come and take a look at it. He's a custom home builder in Canada and he has a home here in Vegas too. He looked at it last week and has spent the last few days checking with customs on clearance. He'll be doing a wire transfer tomorrow morning from Canada to the U.S. I told him I could not hand over the keys until the money was in my account.

I gave him the bank account info for my secondary account which I only keep about 500 dollars in for overdraft protection. If he is a scammer...he's gonna be pretty dissapointed! LOL

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    Did the Viper get you lot's of looks

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brohim View Post
    Did the Viper get you lot's of looks
    of course! Yes even a viper with slfmade driving it...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    When you get the wire explain to the customer that you are not giving up the keys until the bank confirms the transfer. Now sit down and right up a details contract. Leave a few lines blank for the guy to write in his name and address. Also note you used a wire transfer and how much you sold the car. Also put in there terms that states he has like 2-3 days to get the insurance/tag/title taken care of.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Update: He made the wire and the funds are in my account!!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't care if you see it in your account. Call the bank and explain what you are doing. Make sure its 100% cleared.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Well, I just went and pulled out 45,000.00 cash and put it in my primary account at a different bank...I guess they thought it was real! Real enough to give me some of their cash!

Actually, I had BrownGirl do it because I was stuck at work. She took her Pistol with her and I told her to shoot anybody that looked at her wrong. She didn't have to though. It kinda sucks they won't let you take a gun in the bank...I understand the logic behind it, but I would think if someone was gonna mug you it would be walking in/out of the bank. That's where you would need it the most!

ddp2727 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade
    Actually, I had BrownGirl do it because I was stuck at work. She took her Pistol with her and I told her to shoot anybody that looked at her wrong. She didn't have to though. It kinda sucks they won't let you take a gun in the bank...I understand the logic behind it, but I would think if someone was gonna mug you it would be walking in/out of the bank. That's where you would need it the most!
    Take mine into my bank everytime I go. I don't conceal it at all right there on my hip for the world to see in that situation. That's the only place I carry it that way but like you I just see it as a prime place for some fvcked up sh!t to go down, so I want to shave off that extra .3 seconds it would take to flip my shirt up to wield it.

Blog Entries
    Well, I just went and pulled out 45,000.00 cash and put it in my primary account at a different bank...I guess they thought it was real! Real enough to give me some of their cash!
    Doesn't matter that you pulled the cash. If its somehow a scam and it gets reversed the bank will come after you.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    CONGRATS! on selling it!

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Doesn't sounds like a scam but always need to play it safe. Always just done cash personally. Guess he didn't feel comfortable carrying 45k on him, of course I've never had that much cash on me either, and even with less than half that I still felt comfortable since I was armed, and I met the person first before the transaction took place. Congrats on selling the car, have fun plans with the money or being more responsible?

More responsible!!! I'm putting it towards building a home

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post
    CONGRATS! on selling it!
    Thanks S4mS

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    yall must super charged about the house!
    is bg having dream of decorating running through her head yet *the funnest part is the decorating!* sooo happy for you guys! and appearently much desirved <3

Razor is offline Banned
    Update: He made the wire and the funds are in my account!!!!
    Ok I will pm you my bank information so you cant now wire to me please and thank you

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post
    yall must super charged about the house!
    is bg having dream of decorating running through her head yet *the funnest part is the decorating!* sooo happy for you guys! and appearently much desirved <3

Thanks S4MS!! Actually Slf's just as involved in the decorating process...For years we've been throwing out ideas....We've pretty much picked out all the furniture...On our days off we end up going to places like Home Depot and going through appliances, flooring and stuff! lol I'm so glad he doesn't make me do all that stuff by myself!

Flier is offline Productive Member
    More responsible!!! I'm putting it towards building a home
    Dunno man. Home´s are overrated. They blow away by hurricanes and tornadoes, rivers and oceans sweep them away. And home renovations are the biggest cause for divorces and breakups, walking hand in hand at Home Depot is only cute for the first month.

Dude, listen to wisdom. Rent a small apartment, buy a home gym, and stash away $40k towards gear, protein bars, chicken, and BB outfits for the next 10 years. You´re gonna be moody and revved up, so knock up Browngirl before she realize what´s happening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post
    Dunno man. Home´s are overrated. They blow away by hurricanes and tornadoes, rivers and oceans sweep them away. And home renovations are the biggest cause for divorces and breakups, walking hand in hand at Home Depot is only cute for the first month.

Dude, listen to wisdom. Rent a small apartment, buy a home gym, and stash away $40k towards gear, protein bars, chicken, and BB outfits for the next 10 years. You´re gonna be moody and revved up, so knock up Browngirl before she realize what´s happening.
    That's the worse advise i ever read on this forum.

Razor is offline Banned
    I think he was kidding

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    That's the worse advise i ever read on this forum.
    AAS will make your penis shrink, but HGH will make it grow.
    I advise users to stack them to equalize the effects.

Razor is offline Banned
    lmao

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Did not read all the replies because time may be of the essence and what others have said really does not change the facts.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS.

ONLY TAKE CASH in a deal like this, banks protect themselves not you or the seller. So even if the guy were to give you a cashiers check and your bank deposited the money in your account, they still have up to 2 years to remove the money back from your account if they for some reason find out the check, money order, cashiers check, etc was bad. Even if you go to his bank and cash it they still can contact your bank and have the funds removed.

This may seem crazy but you are the one handing them the defective or false "instrument" ( check, money order etc) So if this were not how it worked teams of crooks would simply have one guy make out the check to another guy who would cash it then when the bank found out the instrument was fake the guy who deposited it would simply say, oh hell I got burnt selling a car. I did not know it was fake. So its easy to see that the banks need this sort of leverage to protect themselves from this type of scam.

By the way I learned this back when I was heavily involved in auto racing. Back then we used to sell a hundred grand a year in car parts over the web to unknown parties. My freind was selling his race car trailer and the guy sent a 500 dollar money order as a deposit on the trailer. Then on a Thursday saying he would overnight the balance of the money in money orders on Friday ( sound familiar) he was contacted by the party saying he was heading through our state this weekend and really needed to pick up the trailer for a race and if we could not sell it this weekend he would have to purchase one elsewhere. Well my friend got the money orders from a courier ( not by overnight FedEx) on Friday at 5.00 right as the bank closed. Luckily his wife new one of the girls who was pretty high up in the bank and she agreed to meet her and look at the money orders. She said they appeared legit but explained the whole 2 year deal to us and at that point we decided to not sell the trailer. Well when the guy showed up early Saturday morning to pick up the trailer, my buddy and I told the guy to keep heading north and we would mail his money orders back to him...All of a sudden he demanded that we better give him the trailer or at least give him the 500 from the first money order saying he knew we had cashed it and we were not going to screw him out of his money...Well we almost went for it but since he did not look to threatening we told him we did not have the money and would send it Monday along with the money orders.

Well the funny thing is that the balance of the money orders that we got were indeed fake, but here is where it gets funny they were made using the first 500 money order and a color copier and some special paper etc. Why is that so funny? The first money order sent as a deposit for 500 was indeed good and cleared the bank and guess what LOL we never sent the money back to the scam artist.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 03-09-2012 at 09:41 PM.

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just wait till it clears

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post

hahahahahahaha!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information