Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    crazy_rocks is offline Senior Member

winningl team chants "USA" considered racist, guilty for being white

so a winning basketball team chants "usa, usa" and is considered racist and silenced because the winning team chanting was mostly white and the loosing was mostly minority.

http://www.ksat.com/news/defenders/R...2/-/index.html

Racial incident mars high school game
    School district, students apologize

Author: Brian Mylar

SAN ANTONIO -

A local school district is apologizing after an apparent incident of racism at a boys high school basketball game this past weekend.

When the final whistle blew Saturday, Alamo Heights celebrated a convincing victory over San Antonio Edison.

Alamo Heights Head Coach Andrew Brewer said he was proud of his team.

"Tremendously proud,” Brewer said. “Tremendously. It's the best group of kids."

But it was just after the trophy presentation when the coach was not proud of the chant coming from Alamo Heights fans.

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.

On the KSAT 12 Defenders Facebook page, Santos Villarreal's post reads “this has to stop.”

SAISD Spokeswoman Leslie Price heard about the incident after it had happened.

"This is very disrespectful to our students,” Price said.

She said the district is glad the coach put a stop to the chant immediately and hopes Alamo Heights addresses it quickly.

"It is surprising and it's disappointing to hear that anyone would be out there making those kind of remarks," Price said.

Edison students who attended Saturday's game were shocked when they heard the chant. Some thought the fans of the victors should have been better behaved.

Ruby Arredondo and Forest Lebaron are seniors at Edison and Julian Castellano is a junior.

"I was very surprised,” Castellano said. “Very appalled."

"They didn't really have any class," Arredondo said.

"It just rubbed us the wrong way," Lebaron said.

Alamo Heights Superintendent Dr. Kevin Brown also apologized for the chant.

"We just hope that people know that that's not who we are and we're not going to let it happen again," Brown said.

Alamo Heights has apologized to SAISD and the students identified will also have to apologize and have been banned from the state title games.

"We think that you have to earn a right to be there and that's not a reflection of our school district," Brown said.

Both districts are now just trying to move past this disturbing incident.

Another SAISD school, Lanier High, faced a similar incident within the last year from students in the Cedar Park school district.

Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

perhaps some details were left out of the story that would justify what happened to the winning team but based on the quotes of the offended students in the article i dont think that is the case.

how dare you be white and successful. what the hell is happening to this country?

supersize me is offline Associate Member
    Liberal media will seize every opportunity to make a racial argument. Last time I checked, both schools are located in the US.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Go figure, I have tred to analyze this post in every way I could think possible and in no way is a chant of "USA USA" in any way shape or form a Racist act. IMO its Patriotic and has no specific means of use otherwise than that.

Fvcking Cry-babies

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised this isn't on fox "news."
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Apparently the Edison fans were chanting "Alamo Whites" at Alamo Heights during the game. But that isn't newsworthy?

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    I just ate some white bread does that make me racist?

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I'm surprised this isn't on fox "news."
    seems more like something you'd see on abc, cbs, nbc, abc, cnn, hln, cnbc, or bbc to me. (yes d, i said bbc)

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    If this went to court, it would be thrown out in a second. You guys need to realize that being racist, making racial remarks, as long as you're not threatening anybody is perfectly legal. You could walk into the local mall, and wear a shirt saying "I HATE N*GGERS" , and there is nothing anyone can do about it, legally...(as long as you are not shouting and causing a public scene"

Freedom of speech is one of the most dangerous amendments.

In a school setting, you do give up SOME civil rights, but chanting "USA USA USA" at a game is something the court would laugh at and move on in two seconds...
    Last edited by Gaspari1255; 03-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    That's bull sh*t! How in the world is that racist? They didn't yell "white people white people!" Geez. As a minority I would NOT be offended by that. People take offense to everything these days.

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    If this went to court, it would be thrown out in a second. You guys need to realize that being racist, making racial remarks, as long as you're not threatening anybody is perfectly legal. You could walk into the local mall, and wear a shirt saying "I HATE N*GGERS" , and there is nothing anyone can do about it, legally...(as long as you are not shouting and causing a public scene"

Freedom of speech is one of the most dangerous amendments.

In a school setting, you do give up SOME civil rights, but chanting "USA USA USA" at a game is something the court would laugh at and move on in two seconds...
    all the "you guys need to realize" stuff getting old.
    and ur wrong about the shirt in the mall, the mall is private property, they can turn u away...
    but ur going to be a cop anyway, therfore the law doesnt apply to u.....

Quote Originally Posted by JP-MAN View Post
    all the "you guys need to realize" stuff getting old.
    and ur wrong about the shirt in the mall, the mall is private property, they can turn u away...
    but ur going to be a cop anyway, therfore the law doesnt apply to u.....
    umm no YOU are wrong. The mall or any private establishment can deny ANYONE for any reason, just like a club or bar can deny someone entrance. The point I was making is that a person wearing that particular racial t- shirt cannot get locked up or charge with a crime for WHAT HIS SHIRT says because he is protected by the first amendment.

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    i was right. the mall can deny u access if u wear that shirt. ur post said there was nothing anyone can do about it...
    therefore my unstable friend, u are wrong....

i was right. the mall can deny u access if u wear that shirt. ur post said there was nothing anyone can do about it...
    "legally" is the key word- as in lawsuits and arrests being made.

d-bag of the day award goes to you. Your ribbon is in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by supersize me View Post
    d-bag of the day award goes to you. Your ribbon is in the mail.
    Haha nice.

Yeah JP-Man, I don't think it's the smartest move to hurl personal attacks at a respected member on here...Just back off will ya?

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    respected members. thats funny..
    please tell me where i hurled a personal attack, and i will show u countless posts that he made backing up the un stable part.
    its a open forum. there was no insults, thats last thing i intended. and if u took it that way bronz i stand down, wasnt trying to be a jerk, sorry if i insulted u.
    but spare me the respected member thing, if we are adults enough to post on open board we can handle being called unstable...there was no flame there.

i never meant to insult him, but his examples are crazy.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Dude, I was on the cop thread too and expressed my discontent with LE like many others but when you said.... "but ur going to be a cop anyway, therfore the law doesnt apply to u...." That is a personal jab in a round about way, I'm sure Bronzer isn't upset about it but it does come across as a tad disrespectful in this thread, might have been recieved differently in the other thread, I personally haven't seen Bronzer post anything that would illicit that response. I believe his input is factual and based on what he has been studying.

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    guys are just being picky. that was not a personal attack, it was meant towards the thread topic about cops, as i believe the law doesnt pertain to most of them...

i never said anything bad but unstable, and again, its what i feel about a person, especially after reading thru his previous posts.

respected members. thats funny..
    please tell me where i hurled a personal attack, and i will show u countless posts that he made backing up the un stable part.
    its a open forum. there was no insults, thats last thing i intended. and if u took it that way bronz i stand down, wasnt trying to be a jerk, sorry if i insulted u.
    but spare me the respected member thing, if we are adults enough to post on open board we can handle being called unstable...there was no flame there.
    i never meant to insult him, but his examples are crazy.

Fine...even if we ignore the "respected" part I was talking about insulting another member. And you really think calling someone "unstable" is okay? C'mon dude. I was just saying it was unnecessary....that's all. Not trying to be mean or anything.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Back on subject..... I can see where it may have had some racial intent as it was aimed as a rebuttal to an earlier chant from the other team but WTF.....if we're gonna have "racial training" then let it be equal for both sides. I live in flyover country and many high school teams are named with Indian names like Chiefs or Warriors, some time back it was a big issue and labeled as very racist and a big movement was underway to start changing the names so as not to offend native Americans.......then someone asked some of the chiefs and other important tribal members from a three state area and discovered that the native Americans were in fact flattered by teams using native American names.......go figure. So who decides what is racist and what is not?

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Dam honkeys always starting sh1t lmao

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Go figure, I have tred to analyze this post in every way I could think possible and in no way is a chant of "USA USA" in any way shape or form a Racist act. IMO its Patriotic and has no specific means of use otherwise than that.

Fvcking Cry-babies
    It is racist if the game was considered an America/Mexico game because the white school considered the minority school to be non-Americans (illegals, etc.).

The fact that the kids were chanting USA after winning doesn't make any sense unless it was because they considered it a win for America against Mexican kids.

I am not taking a sides in this debate, but I thought the thinking behind the possible racial insult should be talked about. One cannot just say, "Shouting USA can't possibly be racist." It can. In the Olympics is it nationalism, in Texas it just might be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by JD250 View Post
    So who decides what is racist and what is not?
    Every single one of us gets to decide what is racist and what is not. Consensus is what makes it considered racist in society. Well, consensus and the courts.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    umm no YOU are wrong. The mall or any private establishment can deny ANYONE for any reason, just like a club or bar can deny someone entrance. The point I was making is that a person wearing that particular racial t- shirt cannot get locked up or charge with a crime for WHAT HIS SHIRT says because he is protected by the first amendment.
    So, if I opened up a restaurant, I could deny service and entry to black people because they're black? I guess that Civil Rights Act of 1964 was just a bit of blowing smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    So, if I opened up a restaurant, I could deny service and entry to black people because they're black? I guess that Civil Rights Act of 1964 was just a bit of blowing smoke.
    Interesting question. I used to bounce a one lounge that was owned by Greeks. They did NOT want any black people in there by any means, unless the guy looked like he just came off of Wall Street--full piece suit, etic.. If a black person came to the door, the doorman were forced to make up some excuse about the dress code: such as "no baggy pants" The customers could have had the tightest pants on but by the perception of the Club, they were too baggy. Then, the black customers would say: "Well you just let that guy in and he's wearing baggy jeans." The doormen were forced to say "yeah but he works here."

If their dress code was spot on, the management would claim that he thinks they had too much to drink already or "we only let couples in tonight".

....I stand corrected, a club, bar, store, eatery, etc- you cannot flat out use race as a way to deny people- but there's ways of going around it- as stated above. You just can't come out and say "I can't let you in because you're black/brown/yellow."
    Last edited by Gaspari1255; 03-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Every single one of us gets to decide what is racist and what is not. Consensus is what makes it considered racist in society. Well, consensus and the courts.
    Interesting things is, that when it comes to balancing civil rights and racism in a school setting- it's much different. If it goes to court, the court has to make a ruling based off of all the factors. There's really no clear cut answers as to what is allowed in schools and what is not, when it comes to racism.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
    Fine...even if we ignore the "respected" part I was talking about insulting another member. And you really think calling someone "unstable" is okay? C'mon dude. I was just saying it was unnecessary....that's all. Not trying to be mean or anything.
    I got into a pretty heated debate with him in another friend and I'm convinced he's just trying to start another argument with me involving new threads- I'm not taking the bait. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

...I do think it's interesting how a guy who has been on this forum for 2-3 months thinks he has an idea of who is a "respected" member and who is not.

viking88 is offline Associate Member
    lol minorities, they claim their "proud" to be whatever race they are but apparently not proud enough to live in their own third world cess pit uncivilized countries.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    I just ate some white bread does that make me racist?
    lmao -you if have wheat in the pantry your good!

Quote Originally Posted by viking88 View Post
    lol minorities, they claim their "proud" to be whatever race they are but apparently not proud enough to live in their own third world cess pit uncivilized countries.

Now that's just plan rude. You realize that white Americans came here from other places too right?

Quote Originally Posted by viking88 View Post
    You may not realize that plenty of people are proud of their culture but come from countries with governments that serve themselves while keeping their populations in poverty. It is sometimes necessary to leave a county for better opportunities.

My father's family left Scotland when things were rough and went to England, then here. My mother's family left Germany for Russia and then had to flee in order to avoid conscription and to preserve their culture. I am pretty sure my father's family spent some time in a "cess pit" as you call it.

Where are you from, and why aren't you proud enough to go back? Or are you not proud of your national origin and begrudge those that are because they don't assimilate as well?
    Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 03-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Interesting question. I used to bounce a one lounge that was owned by Greeks. They did NOT want any black people in there by any means, unless the guy looked like he just came off of Wall Street--full piece suit, etic.. If a black person came to the door, the doorman were forced to make up some excuse about the dress code: such as "no baggy pants" The customers could have had the tightest pants on but by the perception of the Club, they were too baggy. Then, the black customers would say: "Well you just let that guy in and he's wearing baggy jeans." The doormen were forced to say "yeah but he works here."

If their dress code was spot on, the management would claim that he thinks they had too much to drink already or "we only let couples in tonight".

....I stand corrected, a club, bar, store, eatery, etc- you cannot flat out use race as a way to deny people- but there's ways of going around it- as stated above. You just can't come out and say "I can't let you in because you're black/brown/yellow."
    i used to use the line "your dressed to casual for tonight"
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    It is racist if the game was considered an America/Mexico game because the white school considered the minority school to be non-Americans (illegals, etc.).

The fact that the kids were chanting USA after winning doesn't make any sense unless it was because they considered it a win for America against Mexican kids.

I am not taking a sides in this debate, but I thought the thinking behind the possible racial insult should be talked about. One cannot just say, "Shouting USA can't possibly be racist." It can. In the Olympics is it nationalism, in Texas it just might be racist.
    good analysis. i see what your getting at. i guess they could have meant it in a bad way to say a team that is mostly mexican is not american but im not convinced that suspicion is really good enough to definitively say chanting usa is racist enough to stop them from chanting it along with apologizing. even if we know factually what they meant by it they still should not have been told to stop. the usa chants in this case would be one of those insults that you can get away with because there can always be a cover reason why it was said.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
    That's bull sh*t! How in the world is that racist? They didn't yell "white people white people!" Geez. As a minority I would NOT be offended by that. People take offense to everything these days.
    def agree!
    Roy says it best = Attachment 121029

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	racist.jpg 
Views:	4764 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	121064

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo

Name:	Morgan Freeman on Racism.jpg 
Views:	5687 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	121090Nice interview piece on Morgan Freeman's views on racism.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    First, yes chanting USA as white kids to minority kids when both schools are from the USA is racist, how stupid to think otherwise. Second is it really that big of a deal? No, it is just white people covering their asses because they are so afraid of the bad public press they could possibly receive. Third what viking said was a bit on the rude/idiotic side, but unfortunately true. As an American of Mexican decent (first generation here) it sickens me to no end when a Mexican talks about how great Mexico is. I just want to tell them then go back there you ass clown... oh wait you can't make 10/hr mowing my lawn over there though can you... and in closing THIS IS EXACTLY why I love being a "minority" because I can say what I want when I want; I like Morgan's POV with the whole stop talking about racism. Honestly if no one gave a shlt then it would not be an issue.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post

Name:	Morgan Freeman on Racism.jpg 
Views:	5687 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	121090Nice interview piece on Morgan Freeman's views on racism.
    Excellent point. I hope Morgan Freeman really said that. I have been saying the same for years. Stop talking about it, stop all the SPECIAL incentives etc. Make us equal and stop making a big deal about it. I like the saying also, it's American history...

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Excellent point. I hope Morgan Freeman really said that. I have been saying the same for years. Stop talking about it, stop all the SPECIAL incentives etc. Make us equal and stop making a big deal about it. I like the saying also, it's American history...
    yup. the tv channels can do what they want but as far as high school and just before i think history is best taught in order as it happened to get the full story. this and that history month in school causes to much jumping around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information