jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life

NFL Hammers Saints for Bounties

The full article can be found @ http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7718136

Meting out unprecedented punishment for a crush-for-cash bounty system that targeted key opposing players, the NFL suspended New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton without pay for next season and indefinitely banned the team's former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.

Payton is the first head coach suspended by the league for any reason. He's accused of trying to cover up a system of extra cash payouts that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday called "particularly unusual and egregious" and "totally unacceptable."

Sending a message by taking a harsh stand, Goodell also banned Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the first eight regular-season games next season -- believed to be the first time a GM was suspended by the NFL -- and assistant coach Joe Vitt for the first six games.

In addition, Goodell fined the Saints $500,000 and took away their second-round draft pick this year and in 2013.

According to the league, Payton ignored instructions from the NFL and Saints ownership to make sure bounties weren't being paid. The league also chastised him for choosing to "falsely deny that the program existed," and for trying to "encourage the false denials by instructing assistants to 'make sure our ducks are in a row.' "

The NFL said the scheme involved 22 to 27 defensive players, targeting opponents including quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

According to the league, Saints defensive captain Jonathan Vilma offered $10,000 to any player who knocked then-Vikings QB Favre out of the 2010 NFC Championship Game. The Saints were flagged for roughing Favre twice in that game, and the league later said they should have received another penalty for a brutal high-low hit from Remi Ayodele and Bobby McCray that hurt Favre's ankle. He was able to finish the game, but the Saints won in overtime en route to the franchise's only Super Bowl appearance.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    yeah, they crushed us! i just think that 1500 is a small chunk of change to a person making hundred of thousands and millions of dollars each game/year. if anyone has ever played the game, one would know it is a barbaric violent game. i think they (NFL) are trying to make an example out of the saints. this has to go on inside every locker room. it is like getting stickers on a helmet when one made a good play in high school or in college. i look at this as a money thing. the NFL wants every family to have on a game every sunday and wants everyone to like it because its safe. BULLSQUASH! its all about the money and how they want to market the NFL as safe. look at all the lawsuits pertaining to former players against the league about concussions and what not. there is a good article in forbes magazine that shows a different side of the coin. was it wrong, yes, does it happen, yes!

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    yeah, they crushed us! i just think that 1500 is a small chunk of change to a person making hundred of thousands and millions of dollars each game/year. if anyone has ever played the game, one would know it is a barbaric violent game. i think they (NFL) are trying to make an example out of the saints. this has to go on inside every locker room. it is like getting stickers on a helmet when one made a good play in high school or in college. i look at this as a money thing. the NFL wants every family to have on a game every sunday and wants everyone to like it because its safe. BULLSQUASH! its all about the money and how they want to market the NFL as safe. look at all the lawsuits pertaining to former players against the league about concussions and what not. there is a good article in forbes magazine that shows a different side of the coin. was it wrong, yes, does it happen, yes!
    I don't think it was completely about the bounties in place it's that Sean Payton LIED to the NFL about it during the investigation.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i dont like sean payton nor the saints but

RIDICULOUS

illegally stomp on a player and get a game or 2 suspension...play around a lil with big scary words like injuring a player which your mindset is roughly at when you launch your 220-250 lb body at the same as hard as you possibly can generate

RIDICULOUS

did that FVCKING idiot jets coach get suspended for the season i dont remember you know the day tripper

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post

RIDICULOUS

illegally stomp on a player and get a game or 2 suspension...play around a lil with big scary words like injuring a player which your mindset is roughly at when you launch your 220-250 lb body at the same as hard as you possibly can generate

RIDICULOUS

did that FVCKING idiot jets coach get suspended for the season i dont remember you know the day tripper

or how about dante stallworth who killed someone while drinking and driving and serves 29 days in JAIL. WTF! like i said, all about the benjamins!

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    donte stallworth was not even ticketed in the accident.
    if he wasnt drunk, he would of been in the right. the victim was illegally crossing the road.

the drunk part had nothing to do with this man dying, only with being charged.

but i def feel ur pain as a fan, i think the fine is ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by JP-MAN View Post
    donte stallworth was not even ticketed in the accident.
    if he wasnt drunk, he would of been in the right. the victim was illegally crossing the road.

the drunk part had nothing to do with this man dying, only with being charged.

but i def feel ur pain as a fan, i think the fine is ridiculous...
    honestly, as a fan, no pain here. if one broke the rules, one must be punished. we have overcome adversity in the past so this next season is just another hurdle. i think we have the rams old head coach as our def coordinator so we do have some head coach experience, or someone who has at least managed players and coaches before.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    senators are calling a hearing on this now. To see if its illegal or if they can make it illegal. Fvcking stupid. We dont have enough issues going on that they cant fix. So they have to spend time and money of football
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    bounties have always been part of football.

but for congree to now get involved....really... 4$ gas...

awms is offline Senior Member
    Im glad they got what they did!!!! They should have lost the 2009 NFC championship game vs the Vikings....there were so many late hits and bad calls in that game and they were out played for the most part until they crushed favre with dirty hits! Im sure saints fans will argue other wise and of course say its not fare...thats only natural but Karma will always catch up to you!

illegal hits should be punished WITHIN the game...if it is BLATANTLY malicious/late..LIKE STOMPING after the whistle

different story

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries

RIDICULOUS

RIDICULOUS

Very good points.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    senators are calling a hearing on this now. To see if its illegal or if they can make it illegal. Fvcking stupid. We dont have enough issues going on that they cant fix. So they have to spend time and money of football
    Insane...we r Trillons in debt but will waste money on this stupid shit.....

yeh and congressional hearings with bonds, andy petit, clemens, etc.

WTF

Blog Entries

WTF
    Exactly what came to my mind when I read Gix's post.
    All Ridiculous....

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    bounties have always been part of football.

but for congree to now get involved....really... 4$ gas...

great points fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Insane...we r Trillons in debt but will waste money on this stupid shit.....

WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Exactly what came to my mind when I read Gix's post.
    All Ridiculous....

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    its a sad day when they mess with my Saints.Total BS

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog
    its a sad day when they mess with my Saints.Total BS
    Hey deserved it..they were setting bounties on players heads. Someone had to stop them

Quote Originally Posted by Razr. View Post
    Hey deserved it..they were setting bounties on players heads. Someone had to stop them
    don't know if 'deserved' is the right term here. why not investigate all 32 teams and see what unveils. gary williams was a coach at other places and it has been known that he did this. i do hate that the saints are going to be precedent for this type of thing but i think they should have looked at everyone before pointing the finger and shaming. goodell sure looked nervous in a press conference yesterday when someone asked him this type of question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    don't know if 'deserved' is the right term here. why not investigate all 32 teams and see what unveils. gary williams was a coach at other places and it has been known that he did this. i do hate that the saints are going to be precedent for this type of thing but i think they should have looked at everyone before pointing the finger and shaming. goodell sure looked nervous in a press conference yesterday when someone asked him this type of question.
    Yeah this is cleary a "make an example out of one" scenario.

The last thing the nfl wants is 3/4 of the leagues teams exposed for doing the same thing. Its out there that the Saints did it - make an example out of them - consider it handled. Im sure thats their position.

not unsimilar to
    alex rodriguez, petit, etc. still playing baseball but bonds/mcguire blackballed

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    Mcguire is not blackballed, he is / was the hitting coach for the cardinals..

bonds was a diffent case...

true..NOW..i think he WAS at one time? he had playing years left i am sure of it

Blog Entries

Maybe not technically but mcguire , clemens def blackballed when it comes to HOF..... when arod and petit def have a chance..esp arod.

cant believe i left roger out of that list...i hate bureaucrats in sports...all those and charlie hustle belong in the hof

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!

Bonds is only blackballed because he's a major asshole. If he wasn't such a prick, nobody would have been trying to take him down for as long as they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Bonds is only blackballed because he's a major asshole. If he wasn't such a prick, nobody would have been trying to take him down for as long as they have been.
    prick in what way...arrogant? similar to lebron james?

i always heard that but never had a problem with him...to each is own i guess...was special to see his late years..never seen someone in control of the stike zone and a short compact swing...truly the best hitter i've ever seen

prick in what way...arrogant? similar to lebron james?

i always heard that but never had a problem with him...to each is own i guess...was special to see his late years..never seen someone in control of the stike zone and a short compact swing...truly the best hitter i've ever seen
    I've heard other players and writers talk about what an asshole he is. But here is what I witnessed. So I'm right next to the visitor's dugout at Dodger Stadium and there is Barry standing at the end of it. So these kids go up to the dugout and ask him nicely if he'd sign their ball. Barry actually told these kids to go **** themselves. Jason Schmidt ended up signing the ball for them, but still. What an ass.

I've heard other players and writers talk about what an asshole he is. But here is what I witnessed. So I'm right next to the visitor's dugout at Dodger Stadium and there is Barry standing at the end of it. So these kids go up to the dugout and ask him nicely if he'd sign their ball. Barry actually told these kids to go **** themselves. Jason Schmidt ended up signing the ball for them, but still. What an ass.
    i think i heard something similar

i think i heard something similar
    I'm sure you had. Barry's made an ass of himself just about in every single baseball stadium he's been in.

still wanted him to get the record and enjoyed watching him play...and never witnessed any of the assness...all the interviews i heard him do were pretty decent...the asterick(steroid era) bs is ridiculous

still wanted him to get the record and enjoyed watching him play...and never witnessed any of the assness...all the interviews i heard him do were pretty decent...the asterick(steroid era) bs is ridiculous
    Fvck his records though. That asshole achieved those individual records at the expense of costing his team quite a few games by swatting for the fences when he should've just gone for a base hit to drive the runs home.

Fvck his records though. That asshole achieved those individual records at the expense of costing his team quite a few games by swatting for the fences when he should've just gone for a base hit to drive the runs home.
    i dont agree..his on base percentage was unGodly, slugging also, walks, they were afraid to pitch to him...when he swung for the fences he succeeded

Blog Entries
    someone asked Micky Mantle once how often he tried to hit a homerun. His answer "Every single time i swing the bat. Really I do...every time".

Thread Information