Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member

Contemplating entering the Personal Training world...

I'm 23 years old with a bachelors degree in Justice Studies. Law Enforcement jobs are FEW and far between in New Jersey, and being a white male does not help my case what so ever. With that being said, I need to start looking into some other line of work until the economy gets better, or my skin color changes, and quite frankly - I don't see either one happening any time soon.

I've been bouncing clubs/bars/lounges for the past five years and I think I've reached the pinnacle. I'm at the point now where I'm ready to snap in a second if someone even looks at me the wrong way, simply because I know if I get fired, that I can go to the next club down the street and make the same measly $100 a night.

So, lately I've thinking about becoming a personal trainer, but I really don't know much about the pay, the basics, or how to even get started. I'm knowledgeable on diet and training, and "look" like I know what I am doing - I'm sitting at 270lbs at 6'3", somewhere around 18-20% bf..

So my questions are:

1.) How easy or hard is to become a certified trainer? I've heard some people say its a long process and I've heard others say that they can take some bs online course and get certified.

2.) Where do you get your clients from? Does the gym help you out or you have to go out and find your own, and have them sign up at that gym?

3.) What does the average pay look like?

4.) How easy/difficult is to have a gym let you work there (with no experience)?

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Becoming certified isn't hard at all. I took a prep class my freshman year of college and kept the book to keep up on studies. The test was pretty easy. Some programs offer seminars and week long prep courses. There plenty to fit the schedule. I can't really answer the other questions because I never got a job in a gym. I have seen some pretty sh1tty trainers though, so I doubt it's too hard..

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I'm not sure if it's state by state for certification but I know there are online certifications that you can get. I would say a degree in nutrition would also be a big help. A friend of mine got hers and it did not sound real easy.

For all of you other questions it wouls TOTALLY depend on each gym. Your in a big city man...make the computer your friend. Get a certificate and create a web page, advertize on CL. Sell yourself. Plenty a fatties sitting home on the computer googling "personal trainer in New Jersey".

It's obvious you don't even need to have any idea about nutrition or working out. Look at all the 19 yo on Q&A who say they nhave personal trainers and yet they are 5'11" 165 lbs. lookin for gear.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    NFPT is an easy way to get started and it's accepted world wide..

I took it to the level of instructor that is running courses that certified people to be trainers..

that's where more money is to be made..

or owning your own gym..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

group and private lessons for "mudder conditioning"

that is endurance training for the weekend athlete who wants to compete in "mudder" type events..

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    NFPT is an easy way to get started and it's accepted world wide..

I took it to the level of instructor that is running courses that certified people to be trainers..

that's where more money is to be made..

or owning your own gym..
    I went on their site and looked into it. How easy is the exam? Should I pay the $500 to get the practice tests and tips or should I just go in cold turkey and take it?

DanB is offline Banned
    Get them online off a torrent site, I can have a look in a couple days if you cat find them yourself, PM and let me know if you do, I would be VERY suprised if they arent very easily available, I done something very similar in recent years and saved alot of money in the process

G
    Last edited by DanB; 09-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Personal training is stressful, up and down clients all the time. people mess you around and dont show for appointments. you cant plan anything. do it ALONGSIDE door work, dont rely on it alone. if you go for it, do it in smaller PT specific studios, not the major gyms.

there is alot more work involved in passing a credible PT course than you think.

pasha is offline Associate Member
    Whats up bro, there are many different programs out there.. I am a certified personal trainer and i got mine though NESTA. It was decent priced and just studied it up for a few months then went to some college to take the test. you study online, i would study instead of just taking the test right away... The test is not super hard, but if you dont study you are not gonna pass... Most certifications last 2 years before they expire.. then you gotta take the refresher test.. however some are 5 years long before they expire.. that is the way to go.. Some programs you must have your CPR fist aid/AED before taking the test, but to get a job at a gym this is required so you gotta have it no matter what... How much money you gonna make really depends where you live... but i know guys that make really good money.. depends also how many clients you have.. cannot answer anymore of your questions because i dont do personal training for a living.. good luck

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    if your serious about getting into professional fitness work, do a degree with leisure management options, it'll open more doors. alot of PT certs are seen as 'crash course' crap, thats not to say everyone with them is a clown but boy there are alot of clowns in the industry and they discredit alot of the certs with their inexperienced and uneducated crap.
    Last edited by dec11; 09-07-2012 at 11:06 PM.

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    i started training last november,got my certifications in pt/nutrition,if i wanted to i could quit my full time job. im to busy im turning down people now.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I trained to be a PT but in the end it's not for me.... I got a promotion at work and I now work 4 days a week earning way more money than I could from PT'ing....

Long and very unsociable hours..... It would probably make me not want to train anymore TBH......

I like to keep my work and personal life separate..... That's just my opinions tho...

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    if your serious about getting into professional fitness work, do a degree with leisure management options, it'll open more doors. alot of PT certs are seen as 'crash course' crap, thats not to say everyone with them is a clown but boy there are alot of clowns in the industry and they discredit alot of the certs with their inexperienced and uneducated crap.
    This ^^^^

The people on my course were all dumb as FUK..... Serious, some had never lifted weights.... Not fukin about, they had never been in a gy but liked swimming or running... WTF.....

I would never take advise from a PT TBH..... Nothing against them but as dec says they hand out qualifications and the industry is saturated.....

I hope to set up a wkd home gym at my next house and train a few selected clients only..... I love training people... I love to help guys out and would jump at the chance to help someone who comes asking for lifting help..... You do not see this with many PT's that I see.... Maybe because they have been demotivated by 'training' the general public who don't really give a fuk and u know will quit after a few weeks......

I hate to put a downer on your idea..... Just feel the need to share my opinion

this is so very true.. but it will allow you to see if you like the business without spending a lot of money..

serious people need a masters degree if you want to work in the NFL or other places, physical therapy is the only way to go to make enough money to live on..

good luck

Rules

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    I PT'd for a bit. I liked it.

If I did it again, I'd do it in my own studio or gym. Rent an area somewhere inside with the needed facilites, buy all your equipment and do it that way. Or buy a van and drive to area's offering your services. You will never make decent money in the large gyms, not a chance. Not unless you have a monopoly of all the clients.

You will need to spend a fair whack on marketing too. Boring door to door flyering is where you get clients. Stand outside train stations early morning and at night to get all the commuters. Dress up in a costume to draw attention (I did as the hulk! ).

Stand outside gay clubs and flyer them as well. They all love to train and have lots of money to spend on PT's. If your not comfortable training a homasexual, fair enough, but I couldnt give a f*ck what they're into. They have money and were the clients to pay upfront for 10+ sessions and never mess about.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Personal training is stressful, up and down clients all the time. people mess you around and dont show for appointments. you cant plan anything. do it ALONGSIDE door work, dont rely on it alone. if you go for it, do it in smaller PT specific studios, not the major gyms.

there is alot more work involved in passing a credible PT course than you think.
    couldnt agree more. I did it for years from a trainer to a PT director. Hated it.
    and personal training is more sales and marketing then actual training. Atleast for a while until your known and have a following.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    i train at my own house .makes it nice,i also host wrestling camps ,and individule 1on 1 training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    I PT'd for a bit. I liked it.

If I did it again, I'd do it in my own studio or gym. Rent an area somewhere inside with the needed facilites, buy all your equipment and do it that way. Or buy a van and drive to area's offering your services. You will never make decent money in the large gyms, not a chance. Not unless you have a monopoly of all the clients.

You will need to spend a fair whack on marketing too. Boring door to door flyering is where you get clients. Stand outside train stations early morning and at night to get all the commuters. Dress up in a costume to draw attention (I did as the hulk! ).

Stand outside gay clubs and flyer them as well. They all love to train and have lots of money to spend on PT's. If your not comfortable training a homasexual, fair enough, but I couldnt give a f*ck what they're into. They have money and were the clients to pay upfront for 10+ sessions and never mess about.

BUTTERYGOODNESS is offline Anabolic Member
    Learn to be a good salesman buddy. I sold 17k of training in three days once )

And learn to be a therapist for some lol

BUTTERYGOODNESS is offline Anabolic Member
    I also spend a decent amount on advertising. That helps soooo damn much

Sorry if I repeating anyone. I'm not one to read a lot of long posts lol

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    i applied to do a fitness course next year (to become a PT) at TAFE (you can get qualifications up to advanced diplomas), hopefully i get in.. just sick of watching people wasting their money on the PTs at my gym, they dont know jack sh!t and half of them are fat...wtf..

theres this one chick at my gym that has one of the fat PTs, and she wears a jumper while shes training... and doesn't raise a sweat... seriously wtf?

i just think i can do a better job (not possible to do worse) than these so called PTs, so thats what im going to do.

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I did it for several years, here's my take. You have two good options when it comes to making money, opening up your own studio or private gym or training at a commercial gym that allows you to be independent. The latter is the best option for someone starting out and IMO for most people as you'll have a much larger base of people to pull from. Unfortunately, a lot of gyms no longer allow independent trainers but require you to work for a training company that has a contract with the gym or a training staff that's operated by the gym...if you're not independent you'll normally be paid a low amount. Independent you can easily charge $40-$60 per session...working for someone you'll be doing good to get $20 a session if that. However, they will feed you clients.

You also need to make sure the gym you're going to train people at accepts your certification. Not all gyms accept all personal training certifications. IMO, most certifications are a joke, even the supposedly good ones. As long as your clients are getting results who cares what the certification is? I've seen so many guys with degrees in exercise science and every fantastic certification on earth make no money at all because they didn't know how to get clients, they had a weak personality dealing with their clients or both.

In the end, the best things you can do when you get your self going in a gym is recognizing what you'll be dealing with. You're not dealing with hardcore gym rats. Granted, you want your people to have good results, that's what they're paying you for, however, most of your clients will be middle aged women, and they will want to feel comfortable around you and talk to you almost like you're some kind of therapist...of course, many of them will end up having a thing for you which you need to be careful with. Make them feel comfortable though, don't approach them like some kind of drill sergeant, make them work, make them feel like they're getting a great workout only you can give them, not only because of the actual workout but the way you treat them, listen to them, talk to them, etc. Now I was never a fan of having these people do a bunch of rubber band and bosa ball exercises, I normally had my clients work with free weights. But, I would typically throw in and create some random exercises that made them feel like they were getting something extra special and unique when the truth was the real benefit came from the set of leg curls and squats they did earlier. It's all about creating an image for yourself on the basis of personality. How you actually look yourself really won't make that big of a difference. Once I figured this out, I had more clients after I stopped bodybuilding than I did when I was doing contest prep and all that.

Thread Information