Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomini is offline Banned

Dredd in theatres tomorrow!

I posted about this movie a few months back. I'm excited for this, definitely seeing it tomorrow! It's already out in the UK and apparently its an excellent movie according to those who have already seen it. No more Stallone goofball crap,

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    well I hope it's not just a bunch of meaningless explosions and shooting. let us know, and try to be decently critical.

MightyBeast is offline Junior Member
    Who's playing dredd.

Karl Urban. Watch the featurette I linked to.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I read a surprisingly good revue (they gave it a B) this morning. I think I will be seeing it. I like Karl Urban.

MightyBeast is offline Junior Member
    I'm at work now so can't watch it til another hr.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    yep. i've been saying for a few months I'm going................

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    I've collected Dredd comics ever since I was a kid. Even have some of the originals from England. My favorites are dealing with the outlands and Judge Death & company.

hmm when i posted swear there weren't videos. Didn't realize it was Karl Urban, now I want to watch it for that alone, honestly the clips I see make me think it looks stupid, so I hope it is decent.

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I can't wait to see it! Looks awesome!

I'm off to see it right now. Will let you all know how it is.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    I'm off to see it right now. Will let you all know how it is.
    Better be on your own cos if you go with this hot chick you aint going to see any film

LOL i'm not even going to answer that!

I'm sitting in the theatre now, totally didn't realize this is a 3D showing, I hate these stupid glasses but oh well. I think this movie is only in 3D...

DCI
    LOL i'm not even going to answer that!

I'm sitting in the theatre now, totally didn't realize this is a 3D showing, I hate these stupid glasses but oh well. I think this movie is only in 3D...
    BOOM, I am right

I didn't say that!

DCI
    No but I presumed and presumption is 60% of the truth, 60% of the time it works everytime

Guys, I thought this is an incredible movie!

I haven't seen a movie this raw and gritty in a long while. And it's not some stupid shoot-em-up fest like the trailers might have you think. It's actually got a pretty good storyline to it, and everything in this movie is pretty well very realistic in a futuristic setting that's not extremely over the top. The setting is somewhat what you'd expect the world to be like in 50-100 years from now. The action was great, directing was good, no dull moments. I also love how there was just a tiny bit of the dark humor that was found in the comic books (if anyone here has ever read them), but its not so overt that you'd be rolling your eyes. I got a good chuckle out of a couple of those moments. This movie definitely buries that turd that Stallone made in 1994.

The basic idea here is that it's just another day on the streets with Dredd, but he's handed a rookie (Anderson) to evaluate before passing her as a full-out Judge. They end up investigating a gang-related triple homicide (what happens is displayed in a very gritty and brutal manner) in a block known as Peach Trees, which happens to be controlled by a really brutal gang lead by this chick called 'Ma-Ma', and she's one of the more brutal head honcho villains i've seen in a movie in a while. The initial investigation leads to them discovering even more behind the murders, and Dredd and Anderson end up getting locked down in this block by Ma-Ma with no way out and every criminal there going after them. The movie really gives you that sense of isolation and desperation where you've got 2 Judges fighting for their lives while trying to uncover and bring to justice what's really going on. Dredd is portrayed as a 100% serious no-nonsense always on the job guy (the way he is supposed to be), totally brutal when he has to be, and he's the type of guy you'd want on your side in a situation like that.

This is a movie i'd definitely go see again in the theatre. I think that it definitely won't cater to a broad audience, there's probably going to be a lot of people who don't find this to be their cup of tea, it's a pretty brutal and gritty movie. If I could describe it best, i'd describe it as a futuristic gritty cops vs drugs/gang type of movie. And there's a few good twists and turns in the plot and story that won't make your eyes roll. It's a long shot from that Stallone garbage from the 90s, you won't find any of that type of goofball stuff here. Go see it!!

Oh and how could I forget... my final rating would be 8/10.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Bad ass. . . The lab where SloMo is made has to look like the place in Bulgaria where my juice is from.
    Last edited by < <Samson> >; 09-22-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Hah I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.

Blog Entries
    Hah I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.
    Scary and funny at the same time. . . . Kinda more scary though.

I'd like some of dat SloMo shit. . . . lol But, damn falling 1000 stories and being on that would have to be hell.

Man, I LOVED how they used that in the movie to make those 3 falling deaths even more terrifying. You'd think that SloMo drug would be something awesome to use, but that was a nice little twist there in the movie where they forced those guys to take it before plunging to their deaths. And that's after skinning them alive lol.

That drug was an awesome little plot device.

Anyone here seen it yet?

Here's a good review I found:

http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/ent...en-so-awesome/

After seeing Dredd, I’m tempted to take back every negative thing I’ve said about the month of September. Yeah, I’ve spent the last few weeks subjecting myself to terrible movies, but then along comes this little gem, a gem that gives me the same giddy excitement I felt when I saw the original Robocop as a kid. Dredd is an unpretentious, super-violent, super-fun, blood-and-guts thrill ride. Oh, and it’s also the best comic book movie of the year.

This time around Karl Urban dons the oversized motorcycle helmet sported by Sylvester Stallone in the 1995 guilty pleasure Judge Dredd. Fortunately, Urban takes the role in a completely different direction. Not once in the film does he remove the iconic motorcycle helmet, and far from hamming it up as Stallone did, Urban provides the human justice dispenser with a fixed frown and a Clint Eastwood-esque rasp. The approach is perfectly suited for the grim, borderline nihilistic material on display here.

In a post-apocalyptic future in which the surviving population of the former United States lives in walled off mega cities, civilization is governed by a group of enforcers—known as Judges—who carry uninhibited powers to arrest, sentence, and execute lawbreakers. This suitably gritty reboot is mostly confined to one lawless city block in that walled off mega city. Partnered with a rookie judge (Olivia Thirlby), Dredd heads to a 200 story housing project to investigate the murders of three junkies. After quickly apprehending one of the murderers, the duo find the entire block has been sealed off under the orders of the ruthless drug lord known as Ma-Ma (a terrifically creepy Lena Headey). She orders everyone in the block to kill the two judges, leaving the two lawgivers to battle their way through hundreds of stories of junkies and thugs in order to survive.

The most interesting thing about Dredd is that the movie is really more about Olivia Thirlby’s development as a person. Urban does a terrific job as Judge Dredd, but Dredd has always been something of a static, one dimensional protagonist; he never removes his helmet, he’s completely dedicated to his job, he never doubts his purpose in life, and he’s absolutely incorruptible. In the end, Dredd is still awesome, but he’s a faceless weapon of the State.

Judge Anderson as played by Olivia Thirlby comes in to do the heavy dramatic lifting as her character finds herself changed by each violent encounter with the denizens of Ma-Ma’s hellhole. She’s the rookie, she’s the only judge in the movie who doesn’t wear a helmet, and she’s also gifted with psychic powers that allow her to peer into the minds she’s inflicting punishment upon. Her powers and weaknesses allow her to be conflicted, and they allow her to develop along with the progression of the plot.

By being reduced to something of a supporting player, Urban’s Judge Dredd is freed up to be the fascist disciplinarian of few words that fans of the comics have always known and loved. Dredd has only two modes in the movie: pissed off and more pissed off. Both modes are ****ing awesome.

When Judge Dredd gets pissed off, that means bad guys are going to die and die they do. Throughout the course of the film, Dredd shoots multiple criminals in the face, throws several people to their deaths, sets multiple bad guys on ****ing fire, and even executes a few scumbags with nothing more than his bare hands. Blood spills in every other frame of the movie. The violence explodes with such energy and in such creative ways that I was instantly reminded of Paul Verhoeven’s fantastic Robocop. Even though the entire movie is little more than one action set piece, the action never gets dull—as it occasionally did with the much lauded The Raid: Redemption—because Dredd never ceases to find new ways to make criminals good and dead. Instead of descending into unbearably grim territory, however, director Pete Travis manages to keep things somewhat light by adopting a tongue-firmly-in-cheek approach to the presentation of the proceedings.

But a fantastic good guy is nothing without an equally threatening bad guy. Fortunately, this movie gets that right to by having Lena Heady play the role of the villainous role of Ma-Ma. Juxtaposed against the stoic Dredd, I think most actors would feel tempted to chew the scenery (much as Armand Assante did in original Judge Dredd), but Headey takes a different approach. Decked out with a mouth full of meth teeth, she underplays the role as a quiet, drugged-out sociopath. She manages to ooze sleaze and menace with nothing more than an unflinching glare or a well placed sneer, and with this role she solidifies her place as one of the best female character actors in Hollywood.

In fact, she plays the role more subdued than even Urban does, highlighting the similarities between the characters. Both characters, however, silently revel in inflicting torture on others. The only significant difference between Ma-Ma and Dredd is that Dredd unerringly adheres to the law whereas Ma-Ma remains content to create and enforce her own law.

Dredd still lacks the dry, British humor of the original comic strip, but this film is a fun, violent, refreshingly straightforward action movie with a fantastic lead and a fantastic villain. After the watered-down (but still enjoyable) Lockout and the soulless remake of Total Recall earlier this year, I wondered if the exuberance of ‘80s action movies had been expunged from Hollywood. I don’t have to worry about that for this week at least, because we now have Dredd in theaters.

I implore any action junkie reading this review to go see Dredd right now. Seriously, if you love real action movies, make sure to support these guys. This newer, more violent Judge Dredd is fantastic, and I want to see more of him in future installments.

Really, this makes me want to see it.

Your killing me. Just read some other things and watched some interviews. Theater is 2 hours away, really want to see it, but have two newborns to help take care of and can't just go. Would have been better to not know this movie was awesome.

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    thats good news....was thinkn about takin my son yo see it but passed...
    think Ill be goin this weekend...
    I though the previews looked pretty decent

I just saw it in theatres for the 2nd time! Great movie!

Man, i'd love to try that SloMo drug... lol.

Man, i'd love to try that SloMo drug... lol.
    I'd love to just live near a theater and have time to see it.

Damn... you're missing out. Need to spread the word about this movie too, tell as many people to go see it as you can because this really deserves a sequel. Even better is if it can end up as a trilogy.

This time I hit up a theatre that had the 'ULTRA AVX' theatres for 3D movies and I didn't even know it until I walked in. Basically even better seats, larger screen, and better sound system. I never even knew about this. The theatrical experience was even better this time around.

red_hulk is offline Member
    Going to see it soon so I'm glad to see good reviews...I just glanced just in case of spoliers I'll throw in my input after seeing it!!

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Ah,I am not too thrilled about comic based movies. My least favorite character OF ALL TIME would have to be that "Venom" character! LOL. Just kidding. I love them all! I just bought the Avengers,Cabin in theWoods, Captain America and Thor tonight! Just liked Cabin in the Woods, even though it isnt a comic.

Lmao, I wasn't a very big fan of the film adaptation of Venom in Spiderman 3, they did that poorly.

I saw Cabin In The Woods when it was in theatres! What an interesting horror movie. The overall concept was interesting, lol. Definitely not a movie i'd buy. What made you compelled to buy it?

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Lmao, I wasn't a very big fan of the film adaptation of Venom in Spiderman 3, they did that poorly.

I saw Cabin In The Woods when it was in theatres! What an interesting horror movie. The overall concept was interesting, lol. Definitely not a movie i'd buy. What made you compelled to buy it?
    I am a HUGE Venom fan! I agree though, the Spiderman 3 version wasnt the greatest. Lets see how they use him the next time! Along with some Carnage.........oh yeah! I cant believe you wouldnt think Cabin in the Woods isnt worthy of purchasing. I know you have got to be a movie buff. That film did some crazy things and had so much "hidden" meanings and such. It blew me away. I think the timing is a little early for a film of that kind, but me being a fan of horror films, 70s-present, I got alot more out of it that many who are not horror film junkies. That basement scene, whew! It meant nothing the first time watching. It meant alot more after the movie was over, and meant even more the second time watching it. For me, purchasing it was a no-brainer.
    Last edited by warmouth; 09-26-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by warmouth

I am a HUGE Venom fan! I agree though, the Spiderman 3 version wasnt the greatest. Lets see how they use him the next time! Along with some Carnage.........oh yeah! I cant believe you wouldnt think Cabin in the Woods isnt worthy of purchasing. I know you have got to be a movie buff. That film did some crazy things and had so much "hidden" meanings and such. It blew me away. I think the timing is a little early for a film of that kind, but me being a fan of horror films, 70s-present, I got alot more out of it that many who are not horror film junkies. That basement scene, whew! It meant nothing the first time watching. It meant alot more after the movie was over, and meant even more the second time watching it. For me, purchasing it was a no-brainer.
    now thats what im talkn about....Carnage is my all time favorite villain....and about cabin in the woods....I thought that movie was great....the whole concept behind it was interesting....and good nix of humor in there....had my girlfriend and me leavin the movies saying thats the best horror movie we've seen in a while....and plus we rented it again

Quote Originally Posted by warmouth View Post
    Did you know they are working on a a Venom movie dedicated just to him? And Carnage is supposed to be in it. Google it, I believe it is either already in pre-production or well beyond it.

I guess i'd have to see Cabin In The Woods again to truly appreciate it. I figure my first and only time so far seeing it, I went into the theatre with little expectation and little knowledge of what it was about. I only got dragged into it because I went with a chick who wanted to see it lol.

And hey guys, lets not de-rail the thread here! This is about Dredd! And I am seriously considering seeing it for a 3rd time lol. There's this one scene that is so badass where all these perps are about to converge on Dredd and Anderson. They're coming from an upper level, heading down a stairwell. Dredd leaves the decision on how to engage them up to Anderson, seeing as though she's the trainee/rookie on her evaluation, and she suggests incapacitating them by chucking tear gas grenades into the stairwell and going through them that way. What then proceeds is totally awesome as Dredd leads up the stairwell as he blows away like 10 perps at point blank range with Anderson while the perps are choking on tear gas. And we're not talking typical full auto spray and pray. He is literally taking well-aimed SINGLE SHOTS right into the chest and faces of these thugs that are helplessly choking on tear gas. That was one of the most awesome scenes in the movie I think.

Blog Entries
    I need some SloMo. . . . That would make some sick lifts. Each lift feels like an hour. . .

That was a real cool movie, is the Tor out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    I need some SloMo. . . . That would make some sick lifts. Each lift feels like an hour. . .

That was a real cool movie, is the Tor out yet?
    I dunno man... not a drug to work out on. That means the pain and intensity of each rep would feel so agonizingly long lol

Blog Entries
    Shit, as long as it's not falling. . . Damn that'd suck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information